PDA

View Full Version : Funk Master Flex Refusing To Play 50 Cent's New Record?

Optik
12-24-2004, 09:24 PM
Hot 97's DJ Funk Master Flex Not Playing 50 Cent's Record?
By Mark Lelinwalla
Wednesday - December 22, 2004

http://www.ballerstatus.net/images/newspics/funkflex.jpg
Funk Master Flex
Photo Credit: MTV News

On Tuesday night (December 21), 50 Cent stopped off at New York City's Hot 97 radio station to rap a bit with famed DJ, Funk Master Flex. During his time with Flex, 50 talked about everything from his new album The Valentine's Day Massacre, the brief situation with a Nigerian rapper on an airplane, the love he has for cars and his overall bewilderment over Fat Joe and Jadakiss’ alignment with his rival Ja Rule for the "New York" record/video. Furthermore, 50 seemed to be confused at how Jadakiss could make a record with Ja Rule, even though Jada's label partner DMX had problems with Ja in the past and the fact that Fat Joe was blatantly supporting Ja Rule's last album (which predominantly attacked 50), Blood In My Eye.

In addition, the G-Unit leader presented Flex with an exclusive record entitled "Piggy Bank," in which 50 addresses some famous MCs. Consequently, after 50 left Hot 97's studios, Flex repeatedly told listeners, "I have a new 50 record that I'm going to play in a while." An hour passed by and fans still didn't hear Flex blast off the record. But yet Flex kept promising it.

Then another hour passed and still no record played. As fans scrambled to the phone lines to request the record, Flex finally told listeners - with only minutes remaining before the close of his show - that he was not going to play 50's record, as he had a change of heart.

Obviously fans that were craving the record were left to wonder why Flex left them hanging. And well, they received their answer Wednesday night (December 22), as Flex told listeners that it was a personal decision on his part not to play the record. He said if he says he wants non-violence in hip-hop, then he has to practice what he preaches and 50's track was the kind of record that can start some things. Flex closed the situation by saying, "I'm never going to play this record."

For your information though, here's what's known about 50's "Piggybank" cut: The record mentions Fat Joe, Jadakiss and get this... Kelis. That's right, 50 told Flex that a reference is made to Kelis essentially because she is guilty by association. That stems from the verbal jab that Nas (Kelis's fiancé) threw at 50 during the intro of his Central Park concert in NYC this past summer. Furthermore, we do know that 50 is currently debating whether or not to add this record to his album.

However, just by the preliminary noise and the fact that Flex decided not to spin this record because of its possible potential, if this cut does indeed make the album, there are bound to be words exchanged between some hip-hop heavyweights. What happens next with this record remains to be seen...

Also, anyone whose interested can also check out the full interview between 50 and Flex here. Flex really gets at 50 with the hard questions in this interview and I think it's a good listen...

http://www.hot97.com/multimedia/interviewPlayer.aspx?source=http://www.hot97.com/av/audio/interviews/flex/flex_50_22dec04.wma&jock=Funkmaster%20Flex&artist=50%20Cent

DaveWadding
12-24-2004, 09:30 PM
Never heard about that record...but I did hear Disco Inferno, which is pretty hot.

RP
12-26-2004, 08:04 PM
Not that i care but i respect the fact that he stands for something.

Anybody Thrilla
12-27-2004, 12:09 PM
50 is all right, but it seems like he just sniffs out the beef like he wants in. I'm not at all in accordance with that logic. Hopefully all of this violence in hip hop will simmer down soon before another great gets slain and we all get fucked.

el fregadero
12-27-2004, 11:57 PM
I wouldn't consider any of the rappers involved in this "violence" to be great, but it would still suck if somebody got shot.

Eventhough it won't happen.

KayfabeMan
12-28-2004, 03:15 AM
If they all want to keep partaking in the lifestyles they choose to partake in, and want to keep on acting like small children instead of full grown adults (then again sometimes they are on the same level mentally) then screw them, keep killing each other.

I can't have sympathy for people who constantly look for problems or feel that every single time someone says something about them they must address them back, or for those who want to be involved in the violence itself. Good on FMF for sticking by his beliefs. He probably said he'd play it, listened to the track, and then debated - which sounds fair.

Baio
12-28-2004, 01:10 PM
Hey kayfabe man you're a fag

Anybody Thrilla
12-28-2004, 01:30 PM
I wouldn't consider any of the rappers involved in this "violence" to be great...

Remember Tupac?

Anybody Thrilla
12-28-2004, 01:32 PM
Ah, my bad, I didn't see that it said "this" violence, but if Nas does happen to get involved, he's pretty great.

Optik
12-28-2004, 02:42 PM
Nas wouldn't get involved because he's been called out several times by members of The Diplomats, Lloyd Banks, and 50 Cent himself. In my opinion, any of these newcomers trying to step to Nas is a stupid move. None of them even compare to Nas in my perspective.

To Kayfabe your theory is pretty childish and idiotic so I'm not going to really pay it any attention. Actually, I feel forced to make a comment about it, think about this for just a moment. Someone makes track, and put you down in a song MILLIONS and MILLIONS of people hear, you're not going to address them back? Think about it...

Also, to what you said about Flex not playing the record, If you would of actually read what I posted instead of just posting in ignorance you would of known Flex knew very well what the track contained. He however, waited until 50 had left the building to say he didn't plan to play the track which is pretty cowardly if you ask me...

thecc
12-28-2004, 03:37 PM
Someone makes track, and put you down in a song MILLIONS and MILLIONS of people hear, you're not going to address them back? Think about it...Be the better person?

Optik
12-28-2004, 04:40 PM
I would do that if it got to the point that violence was getting to be the only answer, but their is alot of battles that go on very long times where no violence ever happens. What I'm really trying to get at is that battles don't always lead to violence most of the time they lead to higher record sales and the like...

Triple A
12-28-2004, 05:09 PM
Why do black people call an individual song a "record"

Optik
12-28-2004, 05:19 PM
I dunno go outside and ask someone...

Anybody Thrilla
12-28-2004, 05:31 PM
Why do black people call an individual song a "record"

They don't.

The Answer
12-28-2004, 11:43 PM
Nas wouldn't get involved because he's been called out several times by members of The Diplomats, Lloyd Banks, and 50 Cent himself. In my opinion, any of these newcomers trying to step to Nas is a stupid move. None of them even compare to Nas in my perspective.

To Kayfabe your theory is pretty childish and idiotic so I'm not going to really pay it any attention. Actually, I feel forced to make a comment about it, think about this for just a moment. Someone makes track, and put you down in a song MILLIONS and MILLIONS of people hear, you're not going to address them back? Think about it...

Also, to what you said about Flex not playing the record, If you would of actually read what I posted instead of just posting in ignorance you would of known Flex knew very well what the track contained. He however, waited until 50 had left the building to say he didn't plan to play the track which is pretty cowardly if you ask me...

Probably afraid to get his ass kicked.50 will tear into him on a track for being a p#$^y you can count on that

thecc
12-29-2004, 12:21 AM
I would do that if it got to the point that violence was getting to be the only answer, but their is alot of battles that go on very long times where no violence ever happens. What I'm really trying to get at is that battles don't always lead to violence most of the time they lead to higher record sales and the like...Imo thats pretty sad if you have to "battle" to boost record sales.

GODSON
12-29-2004, 11:55 AM
Probably afraid to get his ass kicked.50 will tear into him on a track for being a p#$^y you can count on that

Can you blame FLex? Flex is an old man who probably at least in his late 30's. 50 is a muscle man who like to stir up trouble and actually carried guns even though he has security. Plus his security is crazy and they being sued already. I give FLEX credit, 50 is just trying to cost beef for record sales.

50 got a problem with associations.
Let's see, GAME(A G-UNIT MEMBER was in Fabolous video)
Fabolous is in the new Benzino video,Ja Rule is also in the same video.

Optik
12-29-2004, 02:39 PM
Imo thats pretty sad if you have to "battle" to boost record sales.

Well, IMO you're a complete moron.... :yes:

Champion of Europa
12-29-2004, 03:50 PM
[cener]I think its cool that he isn't encouraging the violence in the industry.

50 Cent sucks.[/center]

thecc
12-29-2004, 04:43 PM
Well, IMO you're a complete moron.... :yes:Or i just have the ethics that you should acheive success on your own and not have to use other people for it.

Optik
12-29-2004, 05:16 PM
Or i just have the ethics that you should acheive success on your own and not have to use other people for it.

Most of these rappers are already platinum selling artists, so if they are just pushing for that extra who are you to critisize? Are you making millions of dollars a year? Do people see your face on TV? Got your own clothing line? I think most of these people are just trying to make as much money as possible and that's all...

Pete
01-13-2005, 02:24 PM
Flex wasn't doing it to take a stand, if he was taking a stand why would he have said he was going to play the record at all intead of just saing to 50's face while he was in the studio that he wasn't going to play the song?