PDA

View Full Version : Observer News and Notes: Spoilers

Loose Cannon
12-26-2004, 01:06 PM
Here are some notes from the Observer I found notable.

*First, some good news for me and everyone else that has the Dish Network. Apparently, WWE 24/7 will start up on the network in January. So for all those that have dish, prepare to break your X-mas money out.

*In some not so good news, apparently the ECW PPV has gotten the green light by Vince, but Vince has told everyone within the WWE not to tell Paul Heyman about anything regarding the show. So therefore, don't expect an ECW show like the old days at all because it will probably just be a WWE watered down version. Also, regarding talent for the show, Melzer notes that Steph only wants ex-ECW guys under contract in the WWE on the show, but Vince is willing to bring outside guys in. Other non-WWE guys being considered are Funk, Sandman, Sabu, Super Crazy, Psicosis, and Juventud Guerrera. Corino and Credible are out. Also, Foley, Storm and Malenko might be in.

*Paul Heyman also had a plan for Wrestlemania 21. With Vince very high on JBL and planning on him keeping the Title until Mania 21, (Vince actually wanted Summerslam, but others convinced him not too) Heyman pushed for Cena to win the Title from JBL at Mania. Also the plan is for Orton to go over HHH at Mania, although many are saying Batista/HHH is where the money is and 100% agree with that.

*Then after Orton and Cena won thier respected Titles, the planned angle is for the WWE to run another draft and Orton and Cena would switch shows. Then you know what happens to Cena from there. HHH. Much of this is Heyman's ideas, but Steph is down on Cena and thinks his pops aren't Championship Level and says Orton is more over. hahaha. But Melzer says the plan might go through because Cena will drop it to HHH anyway.

Shaggy
12-26-2004, 01:14 PM
the whole draft thing with orton and Cena switching shows might be interesting....to bad I cant stomach Cena

mike627
12-26-2004, 02:27 PM
Damn, no ECW PPV without Heyman! that just sucks hard!

RGWhat316
12-26-2004, 03:01 PM
Would be cool on RAW if Cena could go back to some of his old rhymes, since he's been censored on SmackDown.

And of they are gonna do ECW, they have to use Heyman. That was his product and for him not to even be used is just wrong.

The Icon of Elisim
12-26-2004, 03:15 PM
Sucks that Heyman would be out for the ECW PPV but seeing Malenko and Strom back would be huge

MVP
12-26-2004, 04:12 PM
ECW PPV without Heyman is not ECW at all. Sounds to me like it's gonna bomb.

Mr. JL
12-26-2004, 04:43 PM
The fact this pay per view could be the first WWE pay per view that the WWE cannot run to the guys they always hand the ball to when they are afraid to push the newer guys.

A pay per view without HHH, HBK, Undertaker, Angle, Flair, JBL, and Kane. While I do enjoy watching most of those guys. I am sick and tired of seeing them in prominent matches pay per view after pay per view after pay per view. And do not even get me started on guys like Cena, and the current state of Randy Orton (I hate him as a face, it makes me turn off my TV). Plus, no BIG hosses.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------that

NOW..

Imagine a PPV with only Benoit, Guerrero, Jericho, Storm, RVD, Taz, Dreamer, Rhyno, Malenko, Tajiri, Mysterio and the Dudley Boyz.

The WWE has crapped on pretty much all of them because the WWE consider them only mid-card guys.

I am betting, that if Benoit, Jericho, Guerrero, Rhyno, Storm, Dreamer are given prominent main event singles matches the fans will mark the fuck out. We'll finally see if those guys can DRAW. ANd when they do (because I am sure they will) maybe then the WWE will realize they need to change their 'GO TO' guys like HHH, HBK, Undertaker, Kane, JBL, Angle

...and put 'Benoit, Jericho, Guerrero, RVD, Rhyno, Storm' in their places.

Mr. JL
12-26-2004, 04:51 PM
BTW, ECW is dead. But I think this will REVOLUTIONIZE the WWE's view of their product if certain wrestlers are given main event spots and see how well the Pay Per View draws.

But knowing the WWE they will run an Invasion angle. And Triple H will join ECW. Then HBK will stay WWE and those two will main event the ECW pay per view in a 2 hour iron man match. Then Cena will join ECW because he's 'hardcore'. Then the WWE will be all like, well Luther Reigns, HE's EXTREME, so lets put him in a squash match with Tajiri and the ECW fans will LOVE it!

Boondock Saint
12-26-2004, 04:58 PM
BTW, ECW is dead. But I think this will REVOLUTIONIZE the WWE's view of their product if certain wrestlers are given main event spots and see how well the Pay Per View draws.

But knowing the WWE they will run an Invasion angle. And Triple H will join ECW. Then HBK will stay WWE and those two will main event the ECW pay per view in a 2 hour iron man match. Then Cena will join ECW because he's 'hardcore'. Then the WWE will be all like, well Luther Reigns, HE's EXTREME, so lets put him in a squash match with Tajiri and the ECW fans will LOVE it!

lol That's what I'm afraid of.

The CyNick
12-26-2004, 05:32 PM
I really hope they cancel the ECW PPV idea.

The Orton-Cena switch is bad news for Cena, and really bad news for SD in general.

If Cena wins the title, he'll go over to RAW and drop the belt to HHH in short order. So Cena will be like every other face on that show, just fodder for HHH.

In the meantime, Orton, who is nowhere near as over as Cena is (whats Steph smoking anyway....maybe Randy) will lose out on the trade because they will get a lesser talent (star power wise). The only positive would be if they turned him heel and then let him fued with Eddie. But they have this theory that Orton will be the guy to turn around the company, hate to burst their bubble, but...

Loose Cannon
12-26-2004, 05:49 PM
^^yeah, that's the only thing I wouldn't have a problem with is turning Orton heel again. I'm a huge heel Orton fan and I really believe he can draw much more as a heel with say Eddie/Taker/Angle as babyfaces. He's just got that look that makes you want to smack him and that's where the money is with him. Cause it certainly isn't as a babyface.

I hope they go HHH/Batista at Mania 21 and have Batista win the Rumble before that.

The CyNick
12-26-2004, 05:57 PM
I think it would be better for Cena to win the Rumble, if they plan on having him win the title at Mania.

Cena has that momentum right now, and I think having him lose ANY match would be really stupid at this point.

With Batista, they could always do something were Batista is sent to the Rumble only to eliminate Orton. Say it comes down to Orton, Batista, Angle and Cena. HHH comes out as Batista is trying to take out Orton, but in the process, HHH accidentally eliminates Batista while he's trying to take out Orton. That leaves Angle and Cena, and you could have Cena win. Since Cena doesn't really have an issue with JBL, I think him winning the Rumble is needed more than for Batista or Orton to win.

Actually, now that I think of it, it would almost make sense to have Orton, Batista and HHH do a triple threat for the title. It would be the Evolution explosion, and you could have Flair caught in the middle of Batista and HHH. Batista and HHH could continue their program on RAW after Mania. Orton wins the title, does the SD thing, and turns heel.

Cena wins the SD title, comes to RAW, fueds with someone like Edge and then moves on to HHH, as sad as that sounds.

Loose Cannon
12-26-2004, 06:10 PM
That's a really good point that the story for Cena/JBL unfolds because of Cena winning. Yeah, I guess you don't really need Batista winning. The only problem I have with Cena winning is that a babyface would win again. Austin, HHH, Lesnar and Benoit before. I think a heel might need to win one.

The Triple threat is cool with the mystery of who's side is Flair on (**cough HHH)

Loose Cannon
12-26-2004, 06:13 PM
but I guess a heel can't win with JBL.

The CyNick
12-26-2004, 07:19 PM
I think they need to start focusing on babyfaces winning as much as possible. With HHH dominating RAW since the brand split, and now JBL dominating SD, I really think they could use about 6-8 months of nothing buy babyface wins on just about every PPV.

I thought they might go that route with Eddie on SD (I always figured Benoit was doomed from the start), btu we all know what happened there.

So now the new golden boys are Cena and Orton. If thats who they want to go with, fine, but do it right this time. Even if business doesn't turn arond in '05 under them (which it wont), just stick with them. At least the fans that are into those guys will fell satisfied and wont turn away from the product.

KayfabeMan
12-26-2004, 08:05 PM
Just a note, with all the names mentioned possibly for this PPV - where's my (pizza) Little Guido / Nunzio?? :( I think he'd definitely make for a good / obvious addition.

If they were smart, they'd bring in outside guys that used to work ECW. It'd be a great way to test marketing with ECW, and also to test out potential new workers (like Super Crazy or others). Without Heyman it won't have the same effect, but you didn't think Vince would let anyone upstage him with his own money did you??

Loose Cannon
12-26-2004, 09:14 PM
I listed all the guys who weren't under contract. Nunzio still is (he is right?) so I didn't list him. So your RVD's Dudley's, Dreamers etc.. will all be there.

And CyNick you're most right with babyfaces needing wins. I just thought about it, with the exception of Taker, Cena and maybe Show, they really don't have a strong/credible/dominant babyface at moment. And they're all on Smackdown.

The CyNick
12-26-2004, 09:38 PM
Yeah its something that Ive been thinking about for a while now.

Ive said it here a few times, but its worth repeating; the best times for the WWE have been with strong babyfaces as the central character.

But since 2001 when Austin turned heel and Rock left for Hollywood, there really hasn't been that central strong babyface.

After Mania in Houston they turned Austin and HHH got hurt before they could turn him. They didn't have a strong face full time until HHH came back, but then they royally screwed that up, and before you knew it it was the summer of '02 and HHH was back in the heel role. They had a short run with Lesnar as a strong face champion, but for whatever reason they decided to turn him. In '03 they had Goldberg come in, and even though they struggled with him at first, he did start to catch on in late '03, but then they gave up on him and he left. Then you had Eddie and Chris in '04, but in both cases they gave up on them as the top guys early in the summer.

And to me, if you are going to have 15 or 16 PPVs a year and charge $35 for each of them, you should try to end the vast majority of them with some face dominating.

Corkscrewed
12-26-2004, 11:34 PM
It really disturbs me that Vince actually wanted JBL to stay champ until Summerslam.

I think that's the type of logic that could kill the company over the course of several years. Geez... I really can't see the logic in having an uncredible guy like JBL stay champ that long. With HHH it could work, but JBL? Pretty stupid.

MVP
12-26-2004, 11:38 PM
It's as if Vince doesn't even pay attention to anyone's drawing power.

Eddie and Benoit were sent back down the card when they were improving the ratings, and HHH and JBL were put in their place and killed WWE's ratings momentum.

Gouda
12-26-2004, 11:49 PM
I wonder if Simon Dean would show up on this ECW PPV dressed as Nova.

"Simon Dean? Who's that? I'm not Simon Dean! I'm Nova! Yes..." :shifty:

Xero
12-27-2004, 12:06 AM
The ECW PPV will draw big if they build it right. In my opinion, there HAS to be an invasion or a rumbling of sorts to start it off. Nothing like the WCW invasion. Something like Heyman comes out and says he's tired of all the shit that's going on, and he wants Vince to give him an ECW show. After a few weeks, with ECW wrestlers striking, Vince accepts under the condition that it's one PPV and they stop striking afterwards. It would build it up pretty well, and they can use a feud that they have already going on as the main event. Maybe RVD and Eddie.

After the show, Heyman can go on to manage RVD and we'll wait until the ratings come in. If it's done right, it will draw bigger than some of 2004's PPVs.

It's as if Vince doesn't even pay attention to anyone's drawing power.
It's not only that, it's like Vince doesn't even know how the ratings system works. When they're going down, he figures that he has to push Triple H and JBL HARDER. I'll tell you one thing, the ratings for the end of Raw (the overrun) aren't in the 4's because Triple H is main eventing, it's because the casual fans don't have any reason to watch any other part of Raw when you're pushing the same main eventers down our throats for months, and now it's turning into years at a time. They know what's going to happen during the show itself. A few sub par matches and Triple H ranting on about how his big toe is infected.

In my opinion, Vince needs to get a stronger mid card to grab those casual fans back to the whole show. Throw some mid carders in the main event spot once in a while. The Women's main event a few weeks back was a good start, but now let's have matches like Shelton Benjamin and Matt Hardy in the main event, or Chris Jericho and Christian.

The CyNick
12-27-2004, 12:45 AM
SD and RAW's ratings have went up since the Spring and summer, now I'm not saying its because of JBL and HHH, but its worth mentioning for accuracy.

House shows and PPVs however, continue to decline, so thats probably a good indication that changes need to be made.

The Icon of Elisim
12-27-2004, 03:03 AM
The ECW PPV will draw big if they build it right. In my opinion, there HAS to be an invasion or a rumbling of sorts to start it off. Nothing like the WCW invasion. Something like Heyman comes out and says he's tired of all the shit that's going on, and he wants Vince to give him an ECW show. After a few weeks, with ECW wrestlers striking, Vince accepts under the condition that it's one PPV and they stop striking afterwards. It would build it up pretty well, and they can use a feud that they have already going on as the main event. Maybe RVD and Eddie.
I think that is the worst way they could handle it. They should just sell it is an anniversary show. I don't think fueds are needed, just sell for the wrestling. Give it the right card and promote it properly and I think that it would be perfect.

They put classic ECW matches on Velocity, Heat and the other shows in the weeks leading up.

They should announce the card by just sending Heyman, or if he's not available someone like Taz, to the ring and talking about ECW, what it meant and just announcing the card like that.

The guys who are being brought in should get some exposure on the shows. Probably interviews and highlight packages would do the trick.

Honestly, the PPV is going to be mostly for the older fans who watched ECW or are more familiar with the workers. In that case you don't need to shove it down their throats, if you give them the matches that they want to see they will buy into it.

KingofOldSchool
12-27-2004, 11:43 AM
Corino and Credible are out.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

SuperSlim
12-27-2004, 11:58 AM
on the one hand it looks good but on many other hands it looks terrible.

One of the most terible is leaving the creator out of his child coming back to life for one shot. It would be like doin an all WCW PPV without Bishcoff. Crap. BUt there is still time for things to swing around and Heyman to get the starrin role in the ECW PPV.

BUt as far as outside wrestlers, they need to bring some of those guys in. I mean they have enough guys in WWE that were former ECW to make it but some of those guys that aren't in WWe right now really define ECW. But what would really be nice is if they could head on over to TNA and retrieve Raven and Franchise. That would really complete it.

As far as teh whole Cena/Orton deal... I'm sick of them both. I say just turn them both heels cause right now Orton is bein shoved down our throats more than Triple H and his RKO looks like utter crap. Then Cena hasv become quite the annoying one since he really can't say anything. At least on Raw he would be allowed to "broaden his vocabulary." And as a heel he can say a lot more instead of tryin to be all "Will Smith squeaky clean."

so overall things seem to suck for now.

Chavo Classic
12-27-2004, 02:12 PM
I think that is the worst way they could handle it. They should just sell it is an anniversary show. I don't think fueds are needed, just sell for the wrestling. Give it the right card and promote it properly and I think that it would be perfect.

They put classic ECW matches on Velocity, Heat and the other shows in the weeks leading up.

They should announce the card by just sending Heyman, or if he's not available someone like Taz, to the ring and talking about ECW, what it meant and just announcing the card like that.

The guys who are being brought in should get some exposure on the shows. Probably interviews and highlight packages would do the trick.

Honestly, the PPV is going to be mostly for the older fans who watched ECW or are more familiar with the workers. In that case you don't need to shove it down their throats, if you give them the matches that they want to see they will buy into it.

Spot on! Give ECW the dignity it deserves without having to go through all that invasion crap again (what, 3rd time it'd be now). Just a show, promoted properly, in which we can watch matches we thought we'd never see again.

Start praying fro Lynn and RVD now!

The One
12-27-2004, 02:42 PM
If Paul Heyman isn't given complete control over the Pay-Per-View I hope to god that they call it Eastern Championship Wrestling, because it was Paul MOTHER FUCKING HEYMAN who made ECW what it was. If they do a WWE PPV under the ECW banner it will be a failure.

And so help me god, if I see one, just one mother fucking WWE superstar that isn't an ECW Wrestler on that card, I will be arrested for murder.

Innovator
12-27-2004, 03:11 PM
word one...word