PDA

View Full Version : Someone explain to me...

RoXer
12-31-2004, 01:16 AM
The origin of the following professional sports team names. (I don't even want to get attempt college)

NBA

Celtic
Cavalier
Pacer
Clipper
Laker
Knickerbocker
Trailblazer (Something to do with the Louis/Clark trail :-\ )
Supersonic
Wizard/Bullets (in Washington D.C.?)

MLB

Astro (I'm pretty sure it has to do with the space/Texas thing)
Dodger
Phillies
Giants
Mariners

NFL

Jets
Browns
Chargers
Giants
Saints

I just want to know why they settled on that name or whatever. And in some cases, what the name actually is (what is a Clipper?). Rep goes to anyone who can answer any of these.

Nervous Ferret
12-31-2004, 01:21 AM
okay I have a book on these. Off the top of my head:

Laker- originally from mineapolis which is called "the land of lakes"
Supersonics- Had to do with a super fast plane the owner had alor of money invested into.
Astros- space
Jets- Originally from New york to rhyme with New york Mets because originally the jets played at Shea Stadium

Lemme find my book and I can answer some more.

Nervous Ferret
12-31-2004, 01:22 AM
Pacers- When they moved to Indy the owner wanted to "set the pace" at the top of the NBA

RoXer
12-31-2004, 01:22 AM
OH YEAH. I forgot about that Lakers thing. They had those MLPS jerseys or whatever.

Nervous Ferret
12-31-2004, 01:33 AM
I've got 4 of these books like 400 pages each. And it's one small article in 1 book, so it may take me a while...

Supreme Olajuwon
12-31-2004, 01:34 AM
Celtics I think is a tribute to Boston's Irish heritage

Browns was named after Paul Brown who is like the football god of Ohio

Nervous Ferret
12-31-2004, 01:36 AM
ohhh yeah..I know the browns one. The town wanted to name the team after him and he wouldn't let them. Then he died and they did it anyway.

DaveWadding
12-31-2004, 01:37 AM
Pacers- When they moved to Indy the owner wanted to "set the pace" at the top of the NBA
Always assumed that was cause of the Indy 500...the PACE car you know.

Loose Cannon
12-31-2004, 01:37 AM
Dodgers were from Brooklyn where people had to "Dodge" bullets

Nervous Ferret
12-31-2004, 01:48 AM
okay here we go. It's only basketball names....though:
seatle supersonics: named after a supersonic jet propsed in seatle [jet was never built]
Knickerbockers: pants that the dutch settlers of NY wore.
Clippers: Started out in san diego, where great saling ships were known as "clipper ships" 100 years ago.

okay vaguely dissapointing, but the rest in here you didn't ask for.

Nervous Ferret
12-31-2004, 01:49 AM
I answered 7, so do I get 7 reps? :shifty:

Nervous Ferret
12-31-2004, 01:52 AM
Cavalier: The car was invented in Cleveland and it was a big thing.
Mariners: [I know this only cuz my high school mascot is a mariner.] There sailors. Seatle used to/still is big on sailing
Saints: Stadium was built on top of a graveyard.

There's 3 more I know I didn't see.

Jesus Shuttlesworth
12-31-2004, 02:15 AM
Yeah Clipper ships were like mad fast sailboats back in the day or some shit

BCWWF
12-31-2004, 03:16 AM
Houston has the space type names (Astros, Rockets) because that is where the NASA base is or whatever ("Houston we have a problem") at least thats just what I always assumed.

I assume ones like Chargers and Giants are just random, like the Detroit Lions and stuff, but maybe there is something behind them. My college is the Missouri Tigers, but they are named Tigers after a group of Civil War fighters from the area called the Tigers or something.

The Miz
12-31-2004, 05:11 PM
Saints: Stadium was built on top of a graveyard.
You are a fucking idiot

Supreme Olajuwon
12-31-2004, 05:33 PM
The Aints were founded on November 1st which is All Saints Day so they picked it

STOOPID

Supreme Olajuwon
12-31-2004, 05:39 PM
Houston has the space type names (Astros, Rockets) because that is where the NASA base is or whatever ("Houston we have a problem") at least thats just what I always assumed.

I assume ones like Chargers and Giants are just random, like the Detroit Lions and stuff, but maybe there is something behind them. My college is the Missouri Tigers, but they are named Tigers after a group of Civil War fighters from the area called the Tigers or something.
Chargers was picked in a name the team contest. Giants were named after the baseball team

Supreme Olajuwon
12-31-2004, 05:41 PM
Dodgers were from Brooklyn where people had to "Dodge" bullets
thats not too far off actually

They were originally called the Trolley Dodgers because there were trolley cars everywhere in Brooklyn at the time

RoXer
01-01-2005, 12:11 PM
So what were the baseball Giants named after?

Innovator
01-01-2005, 12:43 PM
They started out in New York. There were the New York Football Giants and the baseball Giants, in the 50's the baseball team moved to San Fransisco.

RoXer
01-01-2005, 04:48 PM
I know that. Matter of fact, I explained that to someone in another thread.

What were they named after? Why are they "Giant"?

BCWWF
01-01-2005, 04:49 PM
I always just assumed because New York is so big

RoXer
01-01-2005, 04:54 PM
Hmmmmmm....

What about...
Cavaliers
Trailblazers
Wizards/Bullets
Phillies

Kris P Lettus
01-01-2005, 05:07 PM
The Aints were founded on November 1st which is All Saints Day so they picked it

STOOPID

:mad:

The Superdome is built on a graveyard..

CURSED

BCWWF
01-01-2005, 05:16 PM
Hmmmmmm....

What about...
Cavaliers
Trailblazers
Wizards/Bullets
Phillies
Trailblazers is pretty obvious, as in the Oregon Trail, trail blazers, blazed a trail to the West...

Wizards is a relatively new one that I assume has absolutely no affiliation with anything. I'm not sure what the Bullets meant, but its kind of funny :lol: It had a negative image tho so they changed to Wizards a few years back. Prolly just because of the sound?

Phillies...I assume a Phillie is just somebody from Philadelphia? But maybe there is a more historic reason for it.

I think somebody explained Caviliers up there

Nervous Ferret
01-01-2005, 05:46 PM
You are a fucking idiot ur mom.

BCWWF
01-02-2005, 02:43 PM
I assume the use of "ur" and the "." at the end along with the all lower cases are supposed to emphasize something, not quite sure what though.