PDA

View Full Version : Mercenaries (Socom meets GTA)

Kenny
01-11-2005, 05:26 PM
Imagine a war game with a GTA engine and you have Mercenaries. You can high jack and use anything you can see from helicopters, to jeeps, to boats. You can even order a sports car flown in off of the Black Market via helicopter. Not only that but you can order air strikes on buildings which beautifully crash to the ground.

One of my favorite things is that you can highjack a helicopter and pick things up via hook. Then you can release them or use them as weapons. So you can pick up an enemy jeep and literally hurl it to the mountains below watching it explode.

The guy at EB (who got a ton of calls regaurding Resident Evil 4 while i was there) told me that the owner of a popular XBox site shops there and said if you miss out on this game you're missing out on a lot. The reader reviews over at Gamespot give this game a 9.7.

Definately worth a check out for any PS2 or XBox owner.

Shaggy
01-11-2005, 05:42 PM
I have a xbox demo disc with a demo of this game on it....bad news is that my xbox doesnt work. I have to wait till this weekend to go and use the disc at my cousins house. The game looked interesting and I remember there was big news about it because it was done by Lucas Arts....(At least I still think its by Lucas Arts, dont know if it was changed or not)

Disturbed316
01-11-2005, 05:50 PM
I got the PS2 demo, and to be honest, I wasn't that impressed. The graphics weren't amazing, good, but not amazing. I had to do a mission where I had to destroy a chemical plant and capture a guy and didn't experience any of the "go anywhere, do anything" type of gaming. Could just be because it's the demo, but it didn't make me want to buy the full game.

Splaya
01-11-2005, 06:50 PM
Rent it Disturbed :o

VJW
01-11-2005, 08:33 PM
Looks good IMO.

Kenny
01-11-2005, 10:38 PM
Well... I just played the game for a few hours and I really like it.

It's very similar to GTA: Vice City... only in a war format. You meet with leaders of different countries and perform different missions. You also get money for doing these missions which can be used to call air strikes, perform several other actions, or contact the Russian Mafia website via remote computer to order things like cars, supplies, ect...

One thing I like about the game is when you're ready to die, you can call a helicopter to come take you to the MASH to heel you up.

When you first start out, you may not like it because you can't do as many of the features... but as you go on it gets much more enjoyable.

The level itself is huge. I'd definately recommend atleast a rent. I'm enjoying the game quite a bit.

AareDub
01-11-2005, 11:23 PM
One word and two letters to describe my feelings for this game: T for Teen :(

How can you have a game about total destruction and keep it tame enough for a T rating? Oh well, I rented it tonight but it's still in the car. I'll get around to playing it tomorrow if for some god-awful reason I get tired of RE4.

AareDub
01-12-2005, 05:33 PM
I played it for a bit and it kinda feels like it could go either way at the moment. Not too sure how much of it I'll play for now, but I'll get around to it again eventually.