PDA

View Full Version : DISCUSSION - Will Edge's gimmick "lose steam" if he doesn't main-event WM-21?

Heyman
01-19-2005, 06:34 PM
DISCUSSION - Will Edge's gimmick "lose steam" if he doesn't main-event WM-21?

In my opinion (and a lot of other people's opinions), Edge is arguably *THE* hottest thing in the WWE right now......and no, I don't mean in a homosexual, Pat Patterson, Jeff Hardy, kinda way. ;)

Ever since Edge turned heel, his character has been completely revitalized and refreshed. His in-ring ability, while not stellar, has also been a lot better of late.

Some people have gone even far enough to say, that Edge's current personna is the best character that the WWE has seen in YEARS.....and for the most part, I just may agree with that.

So with that in mind, <font color=white>do you think that Edge NEEDS to be in the main-event at Wrestlemania 21?</font>

-When you have a character that's "hot", shouldn't you maximize on it? In the past, we've seen guys like Kane (2003), RVD (2001), Kurt Angle (2001), and Eddie Guerrero (2004) all been EXTREMELY 'over' with the fans, only to have the WWE either

a) Fuck it up

b) Not maximize on the 'overness'....and "miss the tide" so to speak

If Edge is not given the title soon, could he lose his momentum?

-Unless you've been living under a rock lately, it should be fairly obvious that the WWE plan to have Batista/HHH as their RAW main-event for Wrestlemania. The question I have for you folks, is if <font color=white>Edge should join the Batista/HHH feud and make it a triple threat match</font>.

-From now until February or whatever, Edge feuds with HBK. At the January PPV, Edge and HBK battle to a draw/DQ finish or whatever. In February however, Edge goes over HBK cleanly.

-It's at this point that Edge interjects himself in the Batista/HHH feud. Hell - Maybe even have Edge defeat Orton cleanly to qualify for this match (Bischoff sets up an Orton/Edge match....winner gets to join the Batista/HHH match).

At Wrestlemania, I'd even go as far as saying that Edge should win the title (just incase Batista isn't as 'over' as a face as a lot of people hope.....or the WWE management projects).

My biggest fear is that if the WWE holds off on Edge, they will once again 'miss the boat' on an extremely intriguing character (like they did with RVD in 2001 for instance).

SuperSlim
01-19-2005, 07:24 PM
I don't know. I still am not seein what's so hot with Edge so I would hope that he doesn't main event WM 21

RemyRed
01-19-2005, 07:43 PM
I think he needs more time since he's not hot enough yet (man that sentence sounded gay). Maybe at Bad Blood.

Volchok
01-19-2005, 08:06 PM
For me.. I never looked at Edge as a World Champion, to me he just doesnt seem World Champion material... I dunno...

Savio
01-19-2005, 08:12 PM
Stop copying my style!.....Edges steam will gain if he does headline WM21

The CyNick
01-19-2005, 08:21 PM
The only guy I could see being added to the Batista-HHH match without ruining it is Orton.

I think its easy enough to put Edge in another program where he gets to go over and look strong. Then after Mania, with a face champ in Batista, Edge can be set up as the next World Title contender.

I assumed they'd hold off HBK-Edge for Mania. It would have been easy enough because there is no February PPV for RAW, and they could just have a simple interaction at the Rumble to continue their fued. Then blow it off at Mania.

Of course they could always have a no decision at the Rumble, and then have another match at Mania, maybe some type of gimmick match. A Ladder match would make the most sense, but then neither guy has a title, so that might take some creative thinking. Maybe a Loser Leaves RAW Ladder Match. That would be a good way to get HBK on SD, and give them a fresh face, while giving Edge a somewhat meaningful win.

If they dont go with HBK for Edge, they could always turn to Foley. We all know Foley is always willing to put over people, and I know he actually likes Edge, so that would be a sensible program. Foley would definately make Edge seem like a legit main eventer.

But no, Edge doesn't need to headline Mania, mainly because of the quality of the Batista-HHH build. I just hate the idea of anything screwing that up.

Stickman
01-19-2005, 08:24 PM
Edge has steam?

Mr. Nerfect
01-19-2005, 08:26 PM
The WWE has gone and done something here. Edge/HBK at the Royal Rumble makes me think. They are REALLY rushing this. The spot coul dhave been given to La Resistance and The Hurricane & Rosey and/or Rhyno & Tajiri in a World Tag Team Championship match.

Edge and Michaels will be doing double-duty at the Rumble, and I have a feeling something will be going down. I'd personally have Edge defeat HBK cleanly earlier in the night, have Orton go over Triple H, then have either JBL or Kurt Angle win the Triple Threat.

My question is this: Why didn't the WWE leave Edge/HBK until WrestleMania 21? It would have been the perfect stage to have Edge Spear HBK and get the 1-2-3. Hell, why not even have HBK tap-out to the Edgeucator? Edge would have been ready to challenge for the World Championship at Backlash that way.

By rushing Edge vs. HBK I think they MAY be planning something with Edge. I have a feeling Edge will beat Michaels, then he may draw either a really unlucky number in the Rumble, a really good number in the 20s, or even the infamous #30 draw. This is just a hunch, but I think Edge may have a shot at winning the Rumble. Edge vs. Orton? Edge vs. Triple H? Edge vs. Batista? Edge vs. Triple H vs. Orton? Edge vs. Triple H vs. Batista? Edge vs. Triple H vs. Orton vs. Batista? I don't know what is happening there, but I can see Edge (or for some reason Jericho) picking up an unlikely win in the Rumble. I think that would make Edge the first person to ever win the Rumble after doing double-duty.

Anyway, I think the WWE are going to do Kurt Angle vs. Shawn Michaels at WrestleMania, and Jericho vs. Hassan, so this leaves Edge & Benoit with nothing to do. Edge vs. Benoit has a few benefits, and if Edge goes over it makes him look better than the man who was in the main event of WrestleMania last year, and actually won the match. You'd almost get the same effect if Edge beat HBK, though.

I doubt the WWE would give up a good match with GREAT build for absolutely no good reason at all. I personally think there is something there, and I really hope to see it play out.

How does this sound? HBK vs. Edge for the World Heavyweight Championship at WrestleMania? Orton beats Triple H at the Rumble, gives an open challenge to a legend, Shawn Michaels accepts and actually wins the match. HBK then faces Royal Rumble Winner Edge at Mania 21. Or you can have Cena win the Rumble, then have HBK win the title, with Bischoff allowing HBK to choose an opponent worthy to face him at WrestleMania. The wrestler must have some kind of high-ranking win (like KOTR, IC or World Title wins). HBK chooses Edge, and we see a respect thing play out with Edge beating HBK at WrestleMania and rubbing it in his face.

Maybe HBK will win the Rumble and go over to SmackDown! (even though that "loophole" should have been editted) and have HBK face JBL or Kurt Angle in the main event? This drives Edge even more insane, because after beating HBK, Michaels has just gotten lucky, won his third Rumble, and set ship away from Edge over to another brand to challenge for the WWE Championship in the main event of WrestleMania.

I don't know, but I think there is more to Edge/HBK than what we know. I'm probably wrong, though.

Funky Fly
01-19-2005, 08:29 PM
Edge needs to ruin Batista's moment at WM21. Have Batista go over HHH cleanly and then maybe have Edge come out and spear the living crap out of him during the celebration. Of course, next night on Raw, Batista will be out for blood, HHH will want a rematch and HBK will still want a piece of Edge (and the title because is like that). From there, they should build up to a Fatal Four Way Elimination match between these four. From there, have Batista retain if he's doing well, or HBK win it if the fans aren't into Batista. Either way, HBK shold eliminate Edge and then have Edge win it the next time around cleanly from either Batista or HBK.

Heyman
01-19-2005, 09:19 PM
The only guy I could see being added to the Batista-HHH match without ruining it is Orton.

Upon second thought, I actually like the Orton idea better (as opposed to Edge).

As far as Edge goes, a win over HBK at Mania' would still keep him 'over'. In one sense, Edge could basically be like Orton from last year. Like Orton, Edge has good momentum. Maybe around Summerslam 2005, he can finally win the big one?

My only concern with Edge right now, is they're making him look TOO obsessed with winning the World title. Eventually (if he doesn't win it soon enough), he'll just end up looking like some crazy moron. :shifty:

But asside from that - you're probably right.....in that, Edge can still remain a 'hot' item even if he doesn't win the title at Mania.

In regards to Orton:

If the WWE makes Orton/Batista/HHH a triple threat match, then "on paper"

-Triple H should be heel
-Orton should be face
-Batista should be face

What *could* happen however (if the WWE plays it off right)

-Triple H becomes tweener (mixed reactions.....although he's supposed to be heel)
-Batista becomes the top face
-Orton becomes tweener (mixed reactions.....although he's supposed to be face).

I don't know how the WWE could pull this off, but basically..........the fans are turning on Orton. The fans "kinda" like Triple H, but they love Batista.

Anyways - Orton wins the triple threat match at Wrestlemania, but cuts a HEELISH promo the next night.

-Orton becomes a HEEL World Champion (basically - what he should've been at Summerslam and beyond).

-Batista is still the #1 face.

-Triple H could possibly turn face as well.....................?????

I wonder if something like that could work?

Ferocious
01-19-2005, 09:24 PM
I have been talking about Edge main eventing since 2001, This is old news Heyman :tuttut:

RemyRed
01-19-2005, 09:29 PM
Triple H should be a face. He had a great face run when he beat Stephanie McMahhon at Wrestlemania and won the Undisputed Title (I think Jericho was somehow involved in that match too). Even after losing to Hogan the next month he was still way over with the audience. Plus that's the only way I see Edge becoming top heel. (Realistically Triple H will always be top at whatever he is anyway) Let's face it, IF (and that's a strong IF) Batista goes over Triple H it'll only be for Triple H to win it back and add an 11th reign as champion anyway.

Mr. Nerfect
01-19-2005, 10:45 PM
Triple H should be a face. He had a great face run when he beat Stephanie McMahhon at Wrestlemania and won the Undisputed Title (I think Jericho was somehow involved in that match too). Even after losing to Hogan the next month he was still way over with the audience. Plus that's the only way I see Edge becoming top heel. (Realistically Triple H will always be top at whatever he is anyway) Let's face it, IF (and that's a strong IF) Batista goes over Triple H it'll only be for Triple H to win it back and add an 11th reign as champion anyway.

I don't like Triple H in his "good guy" face role. To be honest, I can really see him getting over as a "tough" face, that gets pissed off and carries a sledgehammer to the ring as a weapon, and plays mind games with his opponents. Pretty much like he is now, but more of a kick-ass persona.

Mr. Nerfect
01-19-2005, 10:52 PM
I personally think the WWE should have Randy Orton vs. The Rock at WrestleMania. Keep Orton and Batista undefeated at Mania for at least another year.

Just out of curiosity, is Edge undefeated at WrestleMania? I think he's currently something like 3-0 at WrestleMania.

But anyway, as I mentioned earlier, where is Edge going to go now that he's facing Shawn Michaels at the Rumble. They could continue the feud, but that might make the feud less enjoyable.

Edge vs. Stone Cold? Steve can't even wrestle. Edge vs. The Rock? If worse comes to worse. Edge vs. Hulk Hogan? They were World Tag Team Champions and Edge is supposed to be carrying on Hulkamania.

Seriously, they are shooting themselves in the foot by wasting HBK vs. Edge at the Rumble, and I am curious as to why they are doing it.

Shaggy
01-19-2005, 11:10 PM
I think that is sorta what this is all leading up to. Even though word going around is that Batista will main event mania with Trips I still think Edge deserves it.

RemyRed
01-19-2005, 11:13 PM
I don't like Triple H in his "good guy" face role. To be honest, I can really see him getting over as a "tough" face, that gets pissed off and carries a sledgehammer to the ring as a weapon, and plays mind games with his opponents. Pretty much like he is now, but more of a kick-ass persona.
Yeah that's how I was thinking, like when he was feuding with Kurt Angle (after his dog got runover). How scared Kurt Angle was of him.

ColdwaVer
01-19-2005, 11:45 PM
My biggest thought on Edge is that he should NOT win his first world title as a heel. Edge is perfectly set up to play the old Shawn Micheals "boyhood dream" angle, and his first title run should come after a long chase that sees his title ambitions turn from selfish pride to genuine accomplishment. If he's ever going to be remembered as great, his first run needs to be memorable.
Of course knowing WWE he'll probably have the belt before I submit this post.

Mr. Nerfect
01-19-2005, 11:49 PM
My biggest thought on Edge is that he should NOT win his first world title as a heel. Edge is perfectly set up to play the old Shawn Micheals "boyhood dream" angle, and his first title run should come after a long chase that sees his title ambitions turn from selfish pride to genuine accomplishment. If he's ever going to be remembered as great, his first run needs to be memorable.
Of course knowing WWE he'll probably have the belt before I submit this post.

I agree. I really think keeping Edge's credibility is an issue, though.

BigDaddyCool
01-19-2005, 11:51 PM
Edge sucks. Who cares.

Heyman
01-19-2005, 11:54 PM

I was actually going to make a topic dedicated to this. Here's how I see Triple H.

-He's "dead" as a heel. The fans don't 'boo' him like they do.......Hussan for instance.

-The marks are suckers in cheering for "winners". They want to get behind a "winner". That's one reason why the fans love Austin, The Rock, etc.. That's one reason why the fans cheer Angle when he's fighting JBL.....because Angle is a "winner". In Pro Sports, we see the top teams garnering the most fans. Triple H has been booked as the most dominating guy for the last few years.

-Triple H could semi-align with Shawn Michaels in some shape or form. I'm not suggesting that they bring back DX, but any HBK/HHH association will garner a HUGE reaction from the fans (since they'll think of DX). That alone, should keep Triple H 'over' as a strong face.

-Triple H's last face run was (arguably) disrupted by Stephanie McMahon involvment, Hulkamania, Triple H's ring-rust/quad adjustment, and the fact that Triple H was feuding with other faces quite often (i.e. Hogan, etc.). Basically - horrible booking/planning had just as much to do (if anything, more) with Triple H's failed face run, than Triple H simply being a crappy face.

-As a face, perhaps Triple H can 'job' while massaging his ego in the process. As a heel, you have to JOB cleanly (most of the time). As a face however, you can job via being "screwed over", etc.

While NOT jobbing cleanly does NOTHING for the winner (in terms of establishing credibility), atleast Triple H wouldn't *NEED* the title to look like a dominating force.

Take a look at Smackdown for instance. Undertaker still looks like the strongest guy on the show........since he dominates the CRAP out JBL when they fight.......but JBL is still WWE champion. Furthermore, JBL gets more TV time. JBL can also use (in theory....this doesn't actually happen in this case) OTHER guys to get 'over' and establish credibility.

So there you have it.

I say turn Triple H face after Wrestlemania.

BigDaddyCool
01-19-2005, 11:57 PM
Anyone who likes edge is a loser

Heyman
01-20-2005, 12:09 AM
Anyone who likes edge is a loser

LOL - he's like one of my favorite wrestlers right now. :shifty: :'(

Fox
01-20-2005, 12:48 AM
It's still too early for Edge. The title hunt character he's taken on is great and gives him a shot of freshness that he's badly needed. However, it's way too soon to give Edge the title, let alone on the grandest stage of them all.

Edge's title win needs to be huge. This is a guy who, in his high school year book, was quoted saying "One day I'll be the WWF Champion." The WWE is going to turn it into another Benoit-victory, a feel good title run where a dream comes true. 21 isn't the place to do it. I say they should set up Edge as a strong face after Survivor Series, have him win the Rumble in 06, and put him over a strong heel champion at WrestleMania 22.

Gone Mad
01-20-2005, 12:50 AM
Ok, I'm keeping my Edge Sucks T-shirt on for this one. First, BigDaddyCool, you are my new hero! I thought I hated Edge....

Second, how can come something that sucks have any steam? Is it because it just sucks too much, there is pity for it and it builds that steam like a vacuum or Paris Hilton? Who knows? Push Rhyno.

Third, no Edge main-event this year. He is so mid-carder it is not funny and if they attempted to make him the main-event, the WWE's mission of ramming Edgewad all the way down our throats is complete and the fans would hate him for another reason all together. Now don't get me wrong, he is a great guy and he does have something, I know, but... I don't see him selling out stadiums and being called the greatest or anything near it.

I'm sorry, but eDge needs what RKO needs to be all the way successful, and it beats the hell out of me what it is, but they need it.

Mr. Nerfect
01-20-2005, 02:31 AM
Ok, I'm keeping my Edge Sucks T-shirt on for this one. First, BigDaddyCool, you are my new hero! I thought I hated Edge....

Second, how can come something that sucks have any steam? Is it because it just sucks too much, there is pity for it and it builds that steam like a vacuum or Paris Hilton? Who knows? Push Rhyno.

Third, no Edge main-event this year. He is so mid-carder it is not funny and if they attempted to make him the main-event, the WWE's mission of ramming Edgewad all the way down our throats is complete and the fans would hate him for another reason all together. Now don't get me wrong, he is a great guy and he does have something, I know, but... I don't see him selling out stadiums and being called the greatest or anything near it.

I'm sorry, but eDge needs what RKO needs to be all the way successful, and it beats the hell out of me what it is, but they need it.

I can understand what you mean, but I do think Edge has talents. I can't see him selling out stadiums, but I can't see Benoit doing that either. The same goes for Jericho.

Edge has got phenominal mic skills, and his work in Edge & Christian and in 2001, 2002 and early 2003 as a singles wrestler is excellent stuff. His ring skills also excelled above most guys. He's got the passion, the dedication and the talent (see any of the TLC/Ladder matches he was a part of, or anything with Angle in it) to make it, but they nearly ruined it when they turned him into "Grrrrrrrr I don't like you." Edge.

Let him cut humourous promos, let him use all of his skills, have him use the Edgecution as a finisher. I don't know how you can make him funny and psychotic at the same time, but his whole bookplug thing when he first debuted his "Metalingus" theme (I think) was great stuff. And his "Maybe I do need to slap some sense into myself." stuff last week on RAW was a throwback to his older days was good too.

I can understand why some people wouldn't want to see him as World Champion, but Edge does have that "edge" that will make him entertaining, IMO. If they give him a character he can express without sounding stupid, he can play it to perfection. His new character is chasing the World Championship relentlessly, so eventually you know he's going to get it.

Keep him credible, keep him getting screwed (without him needing to spell it out everytime), then eventually have him get his shot, and win the biggest golden belt in this industry.

So yeah, he may not sell stadiums, but he is better than most, IMO, as he can wrestle, talk and live his character. I personally cannot wait until he gets a DVD out, but anyway.

Hired Hitman
01-20-2005, 03:18 AM
I don't think he needs to main event WM 21, just to have a match against a main eventer and win, probably against Shawn micheals after Micheals Throws Edge out of the Royal Rumble.

juanker
01-20-2005, 07:32 AM
Edge is perfectly set up to play the old Shawn Micheals "boyhood dream" angle

They could have him win the title as his "Crazy I need the title" persona & then cut a face promo on RAW almost apologising for his actions & telling everyone what he wrote in his high school year book & thus going in to the "boyhood dream" ange

Mr. Nerfect
01-20-2005, 08:13 AM
They could have him win the title as his "Crazy I need the title" persona & then cut a face promo on RAW almost apologising for his actions & telling everyone what he wrote in his high school year book & thus going in to the "boyhood dream" ange

I like that. I like that a lot. :y:

Aussie Skier
01-20-2005, 08:38 AM
ah hahah.

good stuff

loved, i think it was savbu, who just thru the chair in the end.
and i'd never seen kevin nash and his quad before, LMAO! (did he do his quad again aswell...stepping over the rope or something?)