PDA

View Full Version : This kind of stuff pisses me off

The Icon of Elisim
01-08-2004, 10:44 PM
I buy cds and I put them onto minidisks.

I don't rip them onto my computer for other people to download and I don't sell the cds after I'm done putting them onto minidisks.

It really f</>ucking annoys me when I spend quite a bit of money on overpriced cds and I can't even put them onto my md player. Its just stupid that these labels are punishing their customers to prevent some people from burning their cds.

El Capitano Gatisto
01-08-2004, 10:46 PM
Maybe your anger would be better directed at people who do the ripping and selling. The companies have a right to protect their products.

The Icon of Elisim
01-08-2004, 10:56 PM
I know but its not fair :(

Kane Knight
01-08-2004, 11:09 PM
Maybe your anger would be better directed at people who do the ripping and selling. The companies have a right to protect their products.

Their users have a right to fair usage.

El Capitano Gatisto
01-08-2004, 11:13 PM
Their users have a right to fair usage.

As long as the CD can be played on a CD player, they're getting what they paid for.

You can say this about any service that is open to abuse. Does a safe-driving 20 year old man deserve prohibitively high insurance premiums because most 20 year old males are shitty drivers?

Maybe not, but the company has to protect their service/product. They wouldn't have to do it if customers could be trusted not to copy the CDs for nefarious purposes.

road doggy dogg
01-08-2004, 11:18 PM
As much as it does suck, ECG is right.

It is annoying when I buy a new CD and can't make MP3's out of it to put on my MP3 player, but that's what's become of CDs these days :-\

Kane Knight
01-08-2004, 11:23 PM
They're getting what they paid for?

El Capitano Gatisto
01-08-2004, 11:24 PM
Yes, a CD with music on it.

Kane Knight
01-08-2004, 11:59 PM
Yes, a CD with music on it.

Phillips, one of the patentholders on the Compact Disc would disagree.

So have the US courts.

Since many of the companies invoking copy protection are the companies marketing Mp3 players, MD players, blank CDs and Cassettes, and many even include software and advertisements for ripping music from CDs, I'd say that it IS expected that it's more than just a disc that crashes computers and some CD players...

samichna
01-09-2004, 12:01 AM
Just like in anything else, a bunch of assholes ruin it for everybody else.

El Capitano Gatisto
01-09-2004, 12:07 AM
Phillips, one of the patentholders on the Compact Disc would disagree.

So have the US courts.

Since many of the companies invoking copy protection are the companies marketing Mp3 players, MD players, blank CDs and Cassettes, and many even include software and advertisements for ripping music from CDs, I'd say that it IS expected that it's more than just a disc that crashes computers and some CD players...

As well they should market those things. There are alot of people with CD collections that are unprotected, if they are going to be ripping songs off these CDs then the companies are entitled to recoup any lost revenue by selling the software that people use to copy them.

I'm not aware or concerned with the US courts or a particular company's view, only that when you pay money for an album on CD, you can expect to be able to play that album on a CD player and thats it.

asphyXy
01-09-2004, 12:29 AM
<font color=969696>I have a burned copy of every CD I own so I don't damage the original.</font>

Kane Knight
01-09-2004, 12:34 AM
As well they should market those things. There are alot of people with CD collections that are unprotected, if they are going to be ripping songs off these CDs then the companies are entitled to recoup any lost revenue by selling the software that people use to copy them.

I'm not aware or concerned with the US courts or a particular company's view, only that when you pay money for an album on CD, you can expect to be able to play that album on a CD player and thats it.

That's clearly not it.

Sicne Phillips, owners of the patents on CDs, says that copy protection means it's no longer a CD...That would carry with it the notion that it's expected.

You think otherwise. Well, that's your opinion. If people didn't expect a CD to do more than play music in your CD player, there wouldn't be an issue. That's the logical flaw in your "What you can expect" line.

El Capitano Gatisto
01-09-2004, 12:39 AM
If people weren't taking songs from CDs and sharing them around for free, there would not be an issue.

Kane Knight
01-09-2004, 12:40 AM
BTW, they'll never put up copy protection we can't crack.

I can rip tracks through my stereo. CD quality.

That would probably mean more if I was willing to buy copy protected CDs, but the point is...If I can spend, like, 30 minutes and crack any Copy protection, without advanced techniques and hi-tech computer software, then anything they do is bound to fail, because there is a way that anyone with the will to do it, a little time, and just a TEENSY ammount of brains can accomplish.

Kane Knight
01-09-2004, 12:43 AM
If people weren't taking songs from CDs and sharing them around for free, there would not be an issue.

But that still doesn't explain your clearly false expectations.

If the music companies adapted, there also wouldn't be a problem.

El Capitano Gatisto
01-09-2004, 12:43 AM
Well, that's going to be an obvious problem in any industry that involves recorded media. Where there is a will, there is a way. Even broadcasters can't keep up with the people who work on cracking their encryption.

Kane Knight
01-09-2004, 12:48 AM
Well, that's going to be an obvious problem in any industry that involves recorded media. Where there is a will, there is a way. Even broadcasters can't keep up with the people who work on cracking their encryption.

No kidding. You think?

And they can work with it, or they can sue their fans.

In the end, the latter ends up creating bigger problems.

Notice that the people who cry their hissyfits seem to be the only ones with a major problem. Funny that.

DaveWadding
01-09-2004, 12:49 AM
there is a way that anyone with the will to do it, a little time, and just a TEENSY ammount of brains can accomplish.
SHIFT KEY! SHIFT KEY!

Kane Knight
01-09-2004, 12:50 AM
SHIFT KEY! SHIFT KEY!

Gonna mention 7/8" ?

Kane Knight
01-09-2004, 12:51 AM
I bet even wadding could figure out how to operate a Stereo CD Burner.

DaveWadding
01-09-2004, 12:53 AM
...buh?

Silent
01-09-2004, 01:16 AM
It takes you 30 minutes to burn a CD?

It takes me like 5.

I love my burning program (Nero) when you copy a CD with copy-protection on it, it tells you that it's copyrighted, and then 2 seconds later starts burning anyway. I don't know why it tells you, but I think it's pretty funny.

Kane Knight
01-09-2004, 01:27 AM
It takes you 30 minutes to burn a CD?

It takes me like 5.

I love my burning program (Nero) when you copy a CD with copy-protection on it, it tells you that it's copyrighted, and then 2 seconds later starts burning anyway. I don't know why it tells you, but I think it's pretty funny.

Well, if I'm using my stereo burner.

I've got a 52X CD burner on my comp, but there's only so fast a CD-Sync deal can work on home audio.

Didn't know Nero ignored copy protection.

However, this is a surefire method.

Vega
01-09-2004, 01:43 AM
Just like in anything else, a bunch of assholes ruin it for everybody else.

Yeah, damn record companies.

The Destroyer
01-09-2004, 05:25 AM
Yes, it's annoying, but while a market still exists for music piracy, you'll have to live with it.

Of course now that a British music association is trying to get websites that sell cheap CDs shut down, and the whole RIAA fiasco, you may have to wait some time for the pirate CD market to die a death...

Downunder
01-09-2004, 09:14 AM
It's my fault - I steal shit off the internet and burn it to CD.

I'd love to go out and buy it, but....... it's FREE!!!!!

And I have no morals.

everyhourdylan
01-09-2004, 09:18 AM
It's my fault - I steal shit off the internet and burn it to CD.

I'd love to go out and buy it, but....... it's FREE!!!!!

And I have no morals.
really me either. if i like it enough though ill buy it. ie boy sets fire or ani difranco.

The Mask
01-09-2004, 10:48 AM
I'll always listen to stuff on Mp3 first now. I'm not going off any one track or just word of mouth anymore :mad:

Kane Knight
01-09-2004, 12:56 PM
Yes, it's annoying, but while a market still exists for music piracy, you'll have to live with it.

Of course now that a British music association is trying to get websites that sell cheap CDs shut down, and the whole RIAA fiasco, you may have to wait some time for the pirate CD market to die a death...

What's that David Bowie quote I was trying to think of?

Oh yeah... they're "Putting out fire with gasoline..."

I'm not really condoning people who don't pay for music. It's just that I understand why they do it.

Price fixing on both sides of the pond.

Kane Knight
01-09-2004, 12:58 PM
I'll always listen to stuff on Mp3 first now. I'm not going off any one track or just word of mouth anymore :mad:

And the RIAA hates you for that.