PDA

View Full Version : 97 Rumble/WM 13

SuperSlim
02-03-2005, 10:09 AM
I'mjust curious since Taker headlined and went for the title at WrestleMania 13 and I don't recall Taker winnin any rumble before who did win the '97 rumble or did Taker really win and my memory just sucks for that year?

Shaner
02-03-2005, 10:11 AM
it was Steve Austin who won the royal rumble

Xero
02-03-2005, 10:13 AM
I don't know why, but Austin won the Rumble that year by eliminating Bret Hart. I don't know why the wouldn't have gone with Austin. Maybe they thought he wasn't ready?

Loose Cannon
02-03-2005, 10:19 AM
Austin won and Bret was screwed

Bret complained and Monoon put together a Fatal Fourway Match FOR THE CHAMPIONSHIP at the In Your House PPV

Bret won.

Next night on Raw Bret lost the Title to Sid when Austin and Taker interferred.

Bret was pissed and went on to face Austin at Mania

Taker faced Sid.

SuperSlim
02-03-2005, 10:21 AM
so Austin wins the Rumble in '97 and gets to do one of the best matches I've ever seen against Bret while Taker who didn't win goes to face Sid?

hmmm I don't know who really got the better end of that deal.

I mean Austin really became somebody after that match. BUt if the knowledge is there... how did Taker wind up with the title match? Anybody.

nevermind. thanks LC

DaveWadding
02-03-2005, 11:14 AM
Taker faced Sid.
And Sid, well, he shat himself.

John la Rock
02-03-2005, 12:03 PM
well Austin cheated to win the Rumble. Bret threw Austin out (but the refs didn't see the elimination). Austin came back in the ring and threw Bret out eliminating the Hitman

See the contreversy?

Disturbed316
02-03-2005, 01:36 PM
:love:

This question was the reason I signed up to the boards.

Xero
02-03-2005, 02:36 PM
Did this lead up to Bret saying 'bullshit' on air? And if so, was that a shoot, where he was pissed off, or was it storyline wise? And if it was storyline, how did they get away with saying 'bullshit'? (I'm assuming that this was when RAW was taped.)

Zen v.W.o.
02-03-2005, 03:31 PM
After the rumble Bret was immediately in the ring on the next raw as Vince and JR and the KIng were getting to their seats for commentary..he was bitching at them that night, then said he quit and walked out through the crowd, which caused austin to come out and bitch him out. They got Bret back by promising him a fatal 4 way match at IYH. Bret wins that, the next night he loses the title when Taker slams the door on his head. If you saw the wrestlemania main event match with taker/sid, you'll recall Bret came out and bitched at everyone, including Taker, specifically for slamming the door on his head. Austin actually came out in that match to help Bret, so that he'd face Bret for the title..but it backfired. So he calls Bret a loser, the go back and forth..there ya have it.
But Bret was genuinely pissed off throughout that time as he was supposed to beat HBK for the title. All this re-planning was due to HBK dropping the title without getting pinned for it, and saying he "lost his smile".

Xero
02-03-2005, 03:48 PM
Ah, okay, thanks. I didn't actually know what led up to the Austin vs. Bret match. (Or, at least, I don't recall it.)

Rob
02-03-2005, 06:54 PM
Corrections needed here.

Austin won the Rumble after being thrown out initially by Hart. 4 way was booked for the next PPV. The winner was originally scheduled to get a title shot at Mania which was the Rumble prize.

Shawn Michaels was due to drop the world title to Sid Vicious on Thursday Raw Thursday. Instead he did the infamous "I lost my smile" interview, faked a knee injury and vacated the title. Then they changed the 4 way so that the winner now got the WWF title. Sid was still getting the belt regardless because the plan at this point has been changed for a Sid vs. Taker main event instead of Hart vs. Michaels since Michaels also refused to drop the title to Hart.

4 way happened, Bret won the title. Lost it the next night to Sid after the match was eventually started after 2 separate attacks from Austin. He interfered in the match and Sid got the title. That started continued the Austin vs. Hart feud and they just announced out of nowhere that Taker was getting the title shot at Mania since they had no other reason why he should be the #1 contender.

Taker Fan
02-12-2005, 01:23 PM
But for some reason, I recall there being a cage match between Sid/Bret for the title (when Sid had already won the belt from Bret I believe, so this was his re-match), and if Bret won, Austin got the shot at Mania, but if Sid won, then Taker faces Sid for the belt. So when Bret was about to win the title and go out the door, Taker slammed the door on his head and Bret lost the match, and then Bret started complaining in the ring. Is that right?

Loose Cannon
02-12-2005, 01:26 PM
yea, that's the match I said. Sid never beat Bret for the Title before that though. He was just the #1 contender.

Zen v.W.o.
02-12-2005, 01:26 PM
But for some reason, I recall there being a cage match between Sid/Bret for the title (when Sid had already won the belt from Bret I believe, so this was his re-match), and if Bret won, Austin got the shot at Mania, but if Sid won, then Taker faces Sid for the belt. So when Bret was about to win the title and go out the door, Taker slammed the door on his head and Bret lost the match, and then Bret started complaining in the ring. Is that right?

Yeah, that's right. I posted a video of it up in the official video thread just recently. Check it out if you want and if it's still available.

Pepsi Man
02-12-2005, 01:30 PM
I believe that was the night Bret caused the WWF to go to a seven second delay, as Bret used the word "bullshit" in his post-match rant.