PDA

View Full Version : CD Review: The Good Life - "Album of the Year"

mitchables
02-05-2005, 10:34 PM
The Good Life - Album of the Year

I didn't know what to expect the first time I put this CD in my player. I knew it wouldn't be like singer/songwriter Tim Kasher's other musical venture, Cursive. But I knew that it would definitely retain a certain uniqueness about it that was undoubtedly the musical madman that IS Tim Kasher. So it was with great curiosity that I put in Album of the Year for the first time.

And I was pleasantly surprised.

But first, an explanation about the at-first-glance seemingly pretentious album title. "Album of the Year" is not, as you could be forgiven for thinking, a declaration of this album's greatness. No, the title of this album lies where the album itself does: halfway between concept and satire. "Album of the Year"'s 12 songs each represent a month in a failing relationship, starting in April and continuing through to March of the following year. Each song details the progression of the relationship in a way that only Tim can. It is beautiful yet sombre at the same time, and Tim's struggle with alcoholism makes frequent appearances.

The sound is a world all its own. You COULD get away with calling it a "soft Cursive", more akin to songs like "The Recluse" than "A Gentleman Caller", but the truth of the matter is this band is far too different to be slotted in with Tim's other project (which, by the way, he's on hiatus from in order to do this band). The four main players in the band are Ryan Fox (Guitar), Stefanie Drootin (Bass), Roger Lewis (Drums) and, obviously, Tim (Vocals and guitar). However, guest players are found throughout the album on instruments such as djembes, mandolins, tambourines, all sorts of folky sounding percussion that really add to the songs. The album has a very melancholy overtone, but then again, it's about love, so what would you expect? The CD definitely requires a level of patience, as only about 2 or 3 of the songs hold a substantially "up tempo" beat for any length of time, but I guarantee you it's worth it.

Song by song:

1. Album of the Year (April)

The first song on the CD starts off with less than a bang - a single acoustic guitar playing a nice, catchy riff. Tim's hauntingly sober voice comes in at a much lower pitch than I'm used to, and I found myself sucked in from the first line:

"The first time that I met her I was throwing up in the ladies' room stall,
She asked me if I needed anything, I said, 'I think I spilled my drink'.
And that's how it started, or so I'd like to believe..."

I suppose I should mention now as well, that one of the things I love the most about Kasher's songwriting ability is that he always manages to tell one hell of a story, and beautifully too.

Anyway, the song continues at the nice laid back pace until the second verse when the guitars cut out and djembes, bongos and percussion takes over, giving the song a distinctively more upbeat feel. Now we're getting somewhere. At the end of the second verse there is a lovely vocal part which goes into a guitar bridge, which fades to nothing and into a third verse, which is possibly my favourite in the whole song.

"The last time that I saw her she was picking through which records were hers. Her clothes were packed in boxes with some pots and pans and books and a toaster. Just then a mouse scurried across the floor...

We started laughing till it didn't hurt..."

The song finishes with a gorgeous guitar breakdown. I won't be this wordy with all the songs, I just wanted to give you a nice picture of how the album starts. My bad.

10/10

2. Night and Day (May)

This song has a decidedly "drunk" beat: quiet, brushed drums; offbeat guitar chords every so often; and up-and-down accordian, like you would expect to find in backing music if you were watching a TV show about an old Italian slum of a bar. A VERY melancholy song, as Tim deals with subjects such as self-mutilation and his alcoholism. Beautifully written though.

8.5/10

3. Under A Honeymoon (June)

Going again with theme-instrumentalism, there's a bit of slide guitar and djembe in this song, giving it a slow-Hawaiian-honeymoon-feel. The song starts to pick up around the 2 1/2 minute mark, using stronger drums and finger cymbals as a nice buildup. At 3:10 there is a beautifully built up horn and timpani breakdown, which really adds to the overall feel of the song. The final chorus comes in over it, and it is absolutely gorgeous.

8/10

4. You're No Fool (July)

Another slow starter, which has a beautiful 1930's blues bar feel to it, with muted trumpet in the background. It reminds me (if you'ver ever played it) of the music in Rubacava in Grim Fandango. If you haven't played it, don't worry. This song's basic theme is the starting feelings of infidelity as rumours start circulating about where the female protagonist's man has been. Very honest song, if ever there was one. As is the running trend with the slower songs on the album, there is a nice tempo build up. At about 2 minutes this song experiences it, and the blues trumpet and guitar makes a nice combination for a short period until it slows back down until the final buildup and horn breakdown. I guess you've gotta like trumpets to like this song, but I do, so shut up.

9/10

5. Notes in His Pockets (August)

...And the infidelity rumours pick up, as does the album, immediately going from slow and melancholy to upbeat piano strikes and heartfelt lyrics about how he's getting himself into these situations and accusations of being untrue.

"Notes in his pockets, rumours in the mill. Phone calls after the bars close - unlisted numbers. If she only knew, then he'd be through - but who knows which parts are true? She hates how it looks, but what can she do? The girls all talk behind her back, they say she's being used."

Truer words were never spoken. This is hands down my favourite song on the album. Great instrumentalism, excellent lyrics, and BEAUTIFUL vocal work in some parts. Classic Tim coming out right here.

10/10

6. You're Not You (September)

She's had it. She's packing her shit and leaving. Essentially, that's the tale this song is telling, only written with far more flair. It explores the ideas that when people become involved in relationships they often change themselves to suit their better halves and alienate their friends/family, and ultimately, themselves. A slower song with a nice buildup and breakdown at the end. I love the way the songs are structured on the CD, this song feels like the aftermath of 'Notes in his Pockets', like she doesn't have the strength to continue dealing with it. Gorgeous.

8/10

7. October Leaves (October)

And the cold shoulder settles in. It's that stage in a relationship where nobody is happy but nobody has the guts to break it off. It explores the man's side of things this time around, how he's starting to feel dejected because she doesn't want to spend time with him, she doesn't kiss him or make him coffee or bring his morning paper anymore, and they're both feeling something is wrong. A slower song, but beautiful all the same. The song title/month suits the feel of the song, ultimately like it's a very grey, bleak October morning, and the relationship is feeling like those dead, dried up leaves on the ground.

7/10

8. Lovers Need Lawyers (November)

The man pleads his innocence.

"Yeah, I was drinking. Yeah, she was drinking too, and yeah, we made a connection - she came from the same neighbourhood. But surely, you can't charge me for that, that's merely fact - merely coincidence."

Nice synths/keyboards/overall instrumentalism in this song. Nice and upbeat with some great vocal lines and lyrics overall. The upbeat songs are well placed on this CD, because after the depressing 'October Leaves' this song is a welcome break from the melancholy.

8.5/10

9. Inmates (December)

This song goes for 9 minutes and 39 seconds. Still, it keeps you interested. Tempos vary, there's great instrumentalism, and the lyrics are fantastic. It's pretty much the final battle, sung from the female's point of view. She lets rip on the poor dude, abusing and accusing him of just about anything you can imagine.

"Oh, what a heartbreaker. I've been through some battles before - and I met your old girlfriend, she said, "Baby, don't bother". She told me you told her you'd hurt her... funny, how familiar. So, how much of this relationship was rehearsed?"

Ouch. The song culminates in the girl declaring that she can't be his prisoner anymore. She won't be his prisoner anymore. The worst is over.

9/10

10. Needy (January)

Now it's the guy's turn to defend himself and act like the girl is going to die without him. It's sad how true this song is. Nice guitar and keyboard appearances in this song. Despite the lyrics' angry overtones the song has a decidedly melancholy feel, so it's a nice contrast.

7.5/10

11. A New Friend (February)

The woman has moved on, and the man watches jealously from the sidelines. She basically rocks up to a Valentine's Day Party which the guy was at, and he wasn't expecting her because she doesn't like going anywhere alone, but she has this new man in her life. He obviously still has feelings for the woman, with nice lines such as:

"Your mom's convinced that he's the one - he's all you need, so forget me - marry him at once. But, if you ever change your mind, I could still buy that box of wine. I still have your copy of Harold and Maude... but you've got a new friend..."

I actually found myself feeling quite sorry for the guy in this song, seeing as she's moved right on and he's left wondering what could've been. Still, I guess that's what you get when you're a cheating drunk. Nice, laid back song with easy listening qualities all around.

8.5/10

12. Two Years This Month

It's well and truly over. Two years this month since they last spoke. He's obviously still pining but she is way out of his life. A very sad conclusion to a very sad tale. The CD ends with a single acoustic guitar, and mishmashed words and distortion. Lots of talking over talking with angry and melancholy words, different parts of the CD coming into play as the song progresses, as if he's remembering the year. Then, as spontaneously as they came, the memories and voices disappear and it's a lone voice singing, and he ends the CD... alone.

EMO. :(

8/10

OVERALL: A great album with some awesome songs on there, both up tempo and slow. Fantastically arranged, brilliantly realised and if you're into something slightly different, give it a shot. 8.5/10

The Outlaw
02-07-2005, 12:41 PM
Can't find it. :(