PDA

View Full Version : Is Chris Jericho kind of like the new Rock?

BCWWF
02-12-2005, 11:35 PM
Wrestling is not nearly as big as it was when the Rock was in his prime, and Jerico really isn't as big as the Rock was, but I think he is kind of playing the role that the Rock used to. When the Rock was in the WWF he was the face of the company, both inside and out of it. Now I think that position has kind of gone to Jericho, even though Jericho really isn't the main eventer that the Rock is. With wrestlers, you have to know going in that a lot of the guys out there were not really the "cool guys" growing up, but some you can just kind of tell that they were. The Rock being one, Shawn Michaels maybe, and Jericho just comes off as the same type of guy. These are the kind of guys that are able to go outside of the wrestling world and still be known. Guys that you might see on commercials or MTV or stuff like that.

The wrestling world and the rest of the pop culture world are very far apart. When Stone Cold was the biggest name in the wrestling industry, you would never see him make a cameo at the VMA's or anything. You never see the Undertaker outside of a WWF event. Even Vince McMahon himself to an extent. I think Jericho has kind of become wrestlings "guy", the guy who acts as the WWF diplomat to the pop culture world. The guy that people see and can just say "Oh thats Chris Jericho, he's the man". He may not be as famous as the Rock, but to the outside world he is the face of the WWE. Even though he may not be the world champion or the most popular by wrestling fans, but he has established himself as more then just a wrestler.

Shaggy
02-12-2005, 11:56 PM
Jericho isnt the New Rock....Jericho is better than The Rock...

Innovator
02-12-2005, 11:57 PM
Jericho has always been better than the Rock

BCWWF
02-13-2005, 12:00 AM
In what light is he better then the Rock? From a technical wrestling aspect?

PullMyFinger
02-13-2005, 12:03 AM
Jericho as a cocky arrogant crybaby sourpuss heel = GOLD AND HUGE RATINGS

Innovator
02-13-2005, 12:05 AM
Well I'm a believer in Jericho being better than the Rock on the mic. Jericho could entertain me for hours on the mic, whilst not using a single catchphrase. Rock on the other hand had to rely on all 75 of his catch phrases to get through a 5 minute exchange. Also Jericho was heads and shoulders above Rock in the ring. High flying? go at it on the mat? Brawl? Jericho could do it all.

Shaggy
02-13-2005, 12:06 AM
Well I'm a believer in Jericho being better than the Rock on the mic. Jericho could entertain me for hours on the mic, whilst not using a single catchphrase. Rock on the other hand had to rely on all 75 of his catch phrases to get through a 5 minute exchange. Also Jericho was heads and shoulders above Rock in the ring. High flying? go at it on the mat? Brawl? Jericho could do it all.

Perfectly said :yes:

McLegend
02-13-2005, 12:11 AM
Jericho is great on the mic no doubt. Also Jericho is better the wrestler of the 2.

The Rock however revolutionized the business. He is the one who redefined mic skills.

Also the Rock wasn't subpar in the ring I would put him above average.

I like Chris Jericho but if I had a choice to watch the Rock or Chris Jericho I would chose the Rock.

BCWWF
02-13-2005, 12:26 AM
I don't know, I just watched the DVD "Monday Night War" and it had two Rock promo's on it, one when he was in the NOD and the other as the People's Champ. It blew me away, in his prime he was spectacular. Chris Jericho is good, but his voice always sounds slightly whiney to me. I think the Rock may have had the edge on the mic.

I think that the Rock was the best at what he did, and now Chris Jericho is kind of doing what the Rock used to do. You could make the argument that the Rock was bigger because wrestling was bigger when he did it, but I think the Rock had more charisma and captured the fans like nobody else could. He truly was the Peoples Champion.

John la Rock
02-13-2005, 01:06 AM
Jericho is good DAMN good but...

But Rock ownz Jericho in every way possible. No one can work a crowd like Rock can and I think that Rock is very underrated in ring. His matches are just as good or better than his promos

John la Rock
02-13-2005, 01:08 AM
I don't know, I just watched the DVD "Monday Night War" and it had two Rock promo's on it, one when he was in the NOD and the other as the People's Champ. It blew me away, in his prime he was spectacular. Chris Jericho is good, but his voice always sounds slightly whiney to me. I think the Rock may have had the edge on the mic.

I think that the Rock was the best at what he did, and now Chris Jericho is kind of doing what the Rock used to do. You could make the argument that the Rock was bigger because wrestling was bigger when he did it, but I think the Rock had more charisma and captured the fans like nobody else could. He truly was the Peoples Champion.

:love:

PerfectOne
02-13-2005, 01:14 AM

The sad thing is, the ORIGINAL People's Champ was Diamond Dallas Page. :(

Mayo
02-13-2005, 01:22 AM
I LOOOOOOOOOOOOVE Jericho but The Rock is above and beyond the king of mic skills. Jericho definitely better in the ring but I think Rock's in ring skills were slightly underrated.

Kane Knight
02-13-2005, 01:23 AM
:y:

Not to knock the Rock's ring skills, because he wasn't a bad performer, but Jericho clearly has him beat. And in terms of Mic skills, he was the more solid performer in many ways. However, part of wrestling is iteration. You need a catchphrase for the fans to chant along with or expect, and the Rock was always full of them. The Rock could play to the crowd better, whether or not he was more talented on the mic. IT's not even overall Charisma, just a sub function of that in which he does connect better with his fans.

I still prefer Jericho though. Now if he'd get rid of that dumbass hairdo.

Innovator
02-13-2005, 01:26 AM
I think people were getting him confused with HHH, so the hair had to go

John la Rock
02-13-2005, 01:27 AM
I think it's better to compare Jericho to HBK. They're pretty much mirror images of one another.

Going to watch Jericho/HBK from WM XIX. what an amazing match that was

BCWWF
02-13-2005, 01:27 AM
But do you agree with me that Chris Jericho has taken the Rocks role in wrestling now? The guy who you just have to like, even if you don't watch wrestling..

John la Rock
02-13-2005, 01:28 AM
no Jericho hasn't taken Rock's role in wrestling. John Cena is probably the closest

Stickman
02-13-2005, 01:57 AM
John Cena? What has he done out of the ring? I have not seen him in months since I stopped caring about Smackdown.

Lara Emily
02-13-2005, 02:29 AM
Those who say Rock is miles ahead of Jericho probably haven't heard Jericho's WCW stuff.

Innovator
02-13-2005, 02:32 AM
#728...ARMBAR!

John la Rock
02-13-2005, 03:00 AM
John Cena? What has he done out of the ring? I have not seen him in months since I stopped caring about Smackdown.

well he's probably the most over wrestler in the WWE right now so I'm saying he has the best chance of becoming a MEGA STAR like Rock

BCWWF
02-13-2005, 04:17 AM
No no no, I am not talking about if Jericho is as good on the mic, if he is as good in the ring, or if he is more over in the wrestling world. I am talking about the wrestler who is the most over in the real world, and that definately isn't John Cena, because I don't know who he is.

Stickman
02-13-2005, 11:56 AM
well he's probably the most over wrestler in the WWE right now so I'm saying he has the best chance of becoming a MEGA STAR like Rock

He's the most over star right now? When did that happen? Did he stop the wigger shit and stop talking about farting and poo?

Kane Knight
02-13-2005, 12:13 PM
He's the most over star right now? When did that happen? Did he stop the wigger shit and stop talking about farting and poo?
The "wigger shit" is what has him over.

John la Rock
02-13-2005, 12:45 PM

ok who is more over than Cena right now?

John la Rock
02-13-2005, 12:46 PM
No no no, I am not talking about if Jericho is as good on the mic, if he is as good in the ring, or if he is more over in the wrestling world. I am talking about the wrestler who is the most over in the real world, and that definately isn't John Cena, because I don't know who he is.

well the wrestler who is most over in the "real" world is probably still Rock

Kane Knight
02-13-2005, 12:48 PM
well the wrestler who is most over in the "real" world is probably still Rock
And he still probably has the most "ambasadorial" reputation.

Mr. Nerfect
02-13-2005, 03:32 PM
Just recently I've become a Jericho mark. One day I was like "Jericho's pretty good, I hope he gets a push, but why all this fuss?" then I was like "JERICHO! :love:".

:shifty:

Anyway, I think Jericho can still be used better, which is why I think the WWE should just let him cut lose in his feud with Benoit. It is not everyday two well respected wrestlers can have feud where face and heel rules don't need to apply.

I can really see this little feud (if they actually go through with it) being what revives these two guys and their characters in the WWE.

I don't mean this in an offensive way to the guys I am about to mention, because I love all three of these guys, but why are JBL, Randy Orton and John Cena the main event guys when Chris Benoit, Chris Jericho and Eddie Guerrer are doing nothing? JBL I can understand, but Orton and Cena could be feuding with other guys that needsomething to do in the IC/US Divisions on their respective brands.

DaveWadding
02-13-2005, 03:35 PM
Were you watching I Love the 90s again, Chros?

DaveWadding
02-13-2005, 03:39 PM
I don't mean this in an offensive way to the guys I am about to mention, because I love all three of these guys, but why are JBL, Randy Orton and John Cena the main event guys when Chris Benoit, Chris Jericho and Eddie Guerrer are doing nothing?
I still think they should have HHH go over at WM21, then the next night during the lottery or whatever, trade HHH to SD! for Eddie and Kurt (therefore vacating the World Title) and then have a Eddie/Kurt/Benoit/Jericho Fatal 4 way match for the belt.

Mr. Nerfect
02-13-2005, 04:12 PM
I still think they should have HHH go over at WM21, then the next night during the lottery or whatever, trade HHH to SD! for Eddie and Kurt (therefore vacating the World Title) and then have a Eddie/Kurt/Benoit/Jericho Fatal 4 way match for the belt.

That sounds like a great idea. Maybe they could have Batista choose SmackDown! (God knows i needs the attention) and have him win the Triple Threat at WrestleMania. You then have Jericho beat Benoit for the rights to face Triple H later that night at WrestleMania, and have Jericho then beat Triple H.

Triple H gets traded to SD! in the draft with Flair, and he realises that now he's got to deal with Batista again.

On RAW at Backlash we can maybe have Jericho vs. Benoit in a Ladder Match, Hell in a Cell, Iron Man Match, etc. and then have that Fatal Fourway at the next PPV.

Loose Cannon
02-13-2005, 04:12 PM
JOHN CENA

He's clearly the one who is most like the Rock. He's got all these catch phrases, the "pop" moves, the interaction with the people. It's so Rock-like. Probably why I can't stand the guy.

Loose Cannon
02-13-2005, 04:14 PM
And Cena IS the MOST OVER guy right now. Some might say Eddie as well.

TapOut
02-13-2005, 04:19 PM
Jericho is nowhere near The Rock as far as mic skills go, in my opinion. As much as I like Jericho, as funny as he is, he's no Rock.

Inside the ring, that's another story.

But as for making an audience pop, few have been able to measure up to The Rock or Austin.

Heyman
02-13-2005, 04:26 PM
I think a better question to this thread should be, "Is EDDIE GUERRERO kinda of like the new CHRIS JERICHO?"

Think about it.

-Both Guerrero and Jericho are arguably the two most popular superstars on their shows.

-Both Guerrero and Jericho are currently being used to put over other upper mid-card wrestlers.

-Both Guerrero and Jericho can suck Jim Ross' dick in the middle of the ring, and would still be way 'over' with the fans.

p.s. Jericho is *not* like the new Rock in my opinion. Jericho hasn't been put in a position where he can draw for the company. He's basically used to make other wrestlers look better so that his respective show (RAW) has the appearance of having solid depth.

Loose Cannon
02-13-2005, 04:29 PM
Oh and about Jericho/Rock on the mic. They're both equal IMO. Making an audience pop doesn't mean you have great mic skills. Plenty of wrestlers could get audiences to pop like Austin/Rock.

Like already mentioned, Rock had a lot of catch phrases, but so did Jericho. Rock got great heel heat, but so did Jericho. Rock did that stuff where he would go around the arena with the camera and shit, but so did Jericho.

Problem with Jericho in the WWF/E is he never got pushed like the Rock. The WWE made the Rock look like the Messiah and the casual fans bought into it. Jericho was never built as strong as the Rock, and I not talking about muscle size. Jericho could of been "The Great One," but the WWE would of rather have him cleaning up dog shit and taking orders from Stephenie.

Personally, I hated the Rock as a good guy. I hated his stupid phrases and his constant sucking up to the crowd. It's like Cena now. But with Jericho, I like him whether he's heel or face. Maybe it's because Jericho was never as "mainstream" as the Rock, but preformed just as well.

The One
02-13-2005, 05:14 PM
The original point of "Wrestling's Pop Culture Guy" to the rest of the real non-wrestling world was very valid. I know of alot of people who I don't think they have seen a single wrestling match...yet almost everyone I know knows 4 names...The Rock, Stone Cold, Triple H, and Chris Jericho. It's true. Jericho has transended wrestling. I remember listening to some Fozzy stuff in my dorm and some guy walked by and really liked the music so I showed him a pic of the band (yes I am a Fozzy nerd) and the first thing he said was..."WOW is that Chris Jericho" this is a guy who has never watched wrestling. Plus with his appearances on I Love The 80's, I Love The 90's, I Love The 90's Part Duex, 50 Most Awesomly Bad Songs Ever...and about a dozen other up comming VH1 shows, Jericho does have mainstream appeal. Plus my old wrestling buddies, they ones that stopped watching basically the day The Invasion started, when they ask about where is so-and-so...all they want to know about it Rocky, Austin, and Jericho...

On to Mic Skills....I put Jericho ahead of Rock, personal preferance. Also in the ring Jericho owns 99% of the wrestlers out there...one of the ONLY guys to couple psychology and ring skills...I know a dime a dozen Spot Fest Machines, and probably 20 great psych guys, but as for coupling them together there has only been a very small group to do it, and Jericho is one of them.

For my money I would say Jericho is right now potentially wrestling's biggest draw, and is the best thing going right now. I watch Raw until I see the Jericho match and then off goes my TV cause I judt don't care about the rest of RAW...and SmackDown offers me nothing. Basically the same thing goes over in TNA, once my Raven and Daniels fix is filled, off goes the TV.

John la Rock
02-13-2005, 05:22 PM
I'm sure people would mention Hogan's name too

I-Hate-You
02-13-2005, 07:06 PM
When Stone Cold was the biggest name in the wrestling industry, you would never see him make a cameo at the VMA's or anything.
Actually Austin introduced Jay-Z at the 1999 MTV Video Music Awards.

BCWWF
02-13-2005, 07:36 PM
Really? I don't remember that at all. I can't imagine Stone Cold outside of the wrestling industry.

It is kind of a weird concept though, if you think about it, even when wrestling was immensely popular very few of the superstars were ever seen outside of the wrestling world. The world of wrestling is like completely seperated from other entertainment.

Kane Knight
02-13-2005, 07:38 PM
While we're on the subject of JEricho...CAN WE PLEASE SEE HIM PULL OFF A FEW MORE OF HIS OLD MOVES?

Zen v.W.o.
02-13-2005, 07:41 PM
Nah, Jericho isn't there yet, and I really like the guy. As far as Austin goes, he was always at the Billboard awards, the MTV awards, and a few others. He starred in that tv series..often times he was on Conan etc..

Jericho isn't even the most well known canuck or most over canuck..therefore I do not think he would be the next Rock in America either.

Aussie Skier
02-13-2005, 07:49 PM

:eek: :drool: :drool:
i think i just jizzed my pants

Kane Knight
02-13-2005, 07:49 PM
Nah, Jericho isn't there yet, and I really like the guy. As far as Austin goes, he was always at the Billboard awards, the MTV awards, and a few others. He starred in that tv series..often times he was on Conan etc..

Jericho isn't even the most well known canuck or most over canuck..therefore I do not think he would be the next Rock in America either.
Nash Bridges? He didn't star in that.

Unless there's something else I'm missing.

However, your point is still valid. Austin could be argued to be the most mainstream wrestler, as could the Rock. Jericho's nowhere close. HE's got...A couple of records...And...Ummm...Line?

Kane Knight
02-13-2005, 07:52 PM
And let's not forget that Austin's "theme" music was one of the few aggression pieces to make it onto MTV...

It didn't hurt that big names were involved, but it's still a crossover.

Zen v.W.o.
02-13-2005, 07:54 PM
Nash Bridges? He didn't star in that.

Unless there's something else I'm missing.

However, your point is still valid. Austin could be argued to be the most mainstream wrestler, as could the Rock. Jericho's nowhere close. HE's got...A couple of records...And...Ummm...Line?

Well you know what I meant..he had a few appearances on the show.

Kane Knight
02-13-2005, 07:59 PM
Well you know what I meant..he had a few appearances on the show.
Yeah, which is why I said your point is still valid. :D

Zen v.W.o.
02-13-2005, 08:00 PM
Yeah, which is why I said your point is still valid. :D

teehee. :y:

TheNamelessOne
02-13-2005, 08:55 PM
Chris Jericho should have been elevated to the main event in 2000 where he was insanely over with the fans for most of the year. Except he had his legs cut off constantly by the booking team who were morons back then too.

BCWWF
02-13-2005, 09:04 PM
To be perfectly honest though, Jericho has the body of a cruiser weight, so in terms of realisticness (if thats a word) I couldn't really see him beating a guy like Batista or Brock.

John la Rock
02-13-2005, 09:07 PM
Chris Jericho should have been elevated to the main event in 2000 where he was insanely over with the fans for most of the year. Except he had his legs cut off constantly by the booking team who were morons back then too.

What are you talking about? He had a solid push in 2000-2001 which culminated into his first World Title Reign

Kane Knight
02-13-2005, 09:09 PM
To be perfectly honest though, Jericho has the body of a cruiser weight, so in terms of realisticness (if thats a word) I couldn't really see him beating a guy like Batista or Brock.
In terms of realism, he could do it. In terms of WWE stereotypes is what you mean.

tucsonspeed6
02-14-2005, 10:29 AM
I don't think making an occasional cameo on "I love the 80's Strikes Back" makes Jericho a WWE diplomat to the world of pop culture. Now if Jericho or Cena made a CD that got requested like every week on TRL, THAT would be something to talk about.

But you see wrestlers everywhere, really. I remember when that one football player got on his knee and stared at his five fingers like Booker T. Does that make Booker T a diplomat to sports fans everywhere?

Kane Knight
02-14-2005, 10:55 AM
I don't think making an occasional cameo on "I love the 80's Strikes Back" makes Jericho a WWE diplomat to the world of pop culture. Now if Jericho or Cena made a CD that got requested like every week on TRL, THAT would be something to talk about.

But you see wrestlers everywhere, really. I remember when that one football player got on his knee and stared at his five fingers like Booker T. Does that make Booker T a diplomat to sports fans everywhere?
Obviously. :shifty:

In seriousness, though, there is little crossover appeal to Fozzy, whether or not people like them. They don't break into mainstream appeal, whether or not they SHOULD. Cena? Maybe he will, maybe he won't. The guy's talented on the mic, but it seems like more people care about rappers who dance like boy bands or whine like pussy little emo chicks.