PDA

View Full Version : Wrestlemania letdowns

Murja
02-14-2005, 05:31 PM
As with all Wrestlemanias, there's always a let down match (think Goldberg/Lesnar), anyone think they can make a prediction on what could be this year's letdown? I got to go with either the Taker/Kane vs. Snitsky/Heidenreich because it's just asking to be poor because of certain participants, and if not that match then whatever Smackdown! puts out as their main event because if it is J.B.L against John Cena there is going to be a lot of brawling and maybe a mexican wave here and there. Maybe I'm just being cynical but like I mentioned earlier, every Wrestlemania has a bad match.

I do realise that there is no match that is set in stone yet but with rumours, storylines and everything, you can take a stab at what might come up and not be too far off.

Marcyo
02-14-2005, 05:35 PM
Don't know. There aren't enough matches announced yet to predict this.

However, Taker & Kane vs Snitsky & Heidenreich has great chances of being a let down (thanks to Snitsky & Heidenreich)

crash99
02-14-2005, 06:36 PM
Eh, I don't think that the Taker & Kane vs Snitsky & Heidenreich match, can be a let down, cause no one is really expecting anything from it.

Marcyo
02-14-2005, 06:45 PM
Eh, I don't think that the Taker & Kane vs Snitsky & Heidenreich match, can be a let down, cause no one is really expecting anything from it.

:'( Thats true

MVP
02-14-2005, 06:53 PM
The biggest Wrestlemania letdown of all time for me was the end of WMIX.

For those of you who don't know what I'm talking about Bret Hart jobbed the World Title to Yokozuna, then Hogan came out and beat Yoko in about 30 seconds to win the title for himself. Later that year Hogan would claim that Bret was too small to be champion, and would job to Yoko instead.

KayfabeMan
02-14-2005, 07:18 PM
I think the biggest letdown was that shit ending to that one Rock-Austin match, when Austin pulled the swerve and went with McMahon. Beating the guy with the chair con-tinuously wasn't exactly a great ending, and that match wasn't exactly brilliant either.

I believe it was WM 17 or one of them.

John la Rock
02-14-2005, 07:23 PM
my biggest letdown was HHH/Y2J from X8. Well mostly because the crowd was dead because it followed the greatest match of all time Rock/Hogan

46 & 2
02-14-2005, 07:29 PM
The biggest letdown ever was Iron Sheik winnning the gimmick battle royal. There was absolutely no reason whatsoever for a heel to win that - it was purely for fan entertainment, no storyline at all, yet the have the fucking Iron Sheik win it because he can't take an over-the-top-rope bump without being killed. That just pissed me off to no end.

Evil Vito
02-14-2005, 07:36 PM
The biggest letdown ever was Iron Sheik winnning the gimmick battle royal. There was absolutely no reason whatsoever for a heel to win that - it was purely for fan entertainment, no storyline at all, yet the have the fucking Iron Sheik win it because he can't take an over-the-top-rope bump without being killed. That just pissed me off to no end.

<font color=goldenrod>Yeah that kinda pissed me off, but what pissed me off more was the fact that the fucking entrances lasted longer than the match itself.</font> :|

Xero
02-14-2005, 07:54 PM
My pick, from what I can remember, has got to be Lesnar/Goldberg. Granted, Goldberg couldn't have pulled off something like Angle did with Lesnar, but this could have been an epic battle. Instead, we get 20 minutes of chants, a few lock ups, and an F5. Those 20 minutes could have been one hell of a brawl at least.

Aussie Skier
02-14-2005, 07:56 PM
HHH VS ultimate warrior :nono:

V
02-14-2005, 08:19 PM
my biggest letdown was HHH/Y2J from X8. Well mostly because the crowd was dead because it followed the greatest match of all time Rock/Hogan
lol you always have to remind me that i wasn't there even though i had the chance

at least i got to watch it live, and yeah, it was something.

Fox
02-15-2005, 12:48 AM
HBK pinning Jericho at WrestleMania XIX was my biggest letdown. I was literally on my feet screaming for HBK to tap out at certain points in that match, and when Shawn won with a fucking rollup I went crazy.

Shaggy
02-15-2005, 02:15 AM
Lesnar Vs Goldberg was definently a big letdown.....

This year I dont know what could be it yet...sadly I see the Cena vs JBL not being great but atleast not he least on the card. With only few matches announced so far Im sure there will be a crap load more for us to see. Besides the ppv is like 4-5 hours long right? I hope there not planning on having the matches signed so far going for atleast an hour long.

Transplant
02-15-2005, 02:20 AM
Hmm, biggest WM letdown? I'm gonna go with the cruiserweight open. It went by too fast, and you knew that Ultimo, Shannon and Akio were only there too job. It did have some spots, but I felt it was boring.

This year I reckon the Cena/JBL match (if thats what happens in the end) will be the letdown. In my mind, Cena's not great with long matches.

KayfabeMan
02-15-2005, 03:05 AM
If they don't pull off something big, it seems that the whole WM will be a letdown. The entire thing kinda looks like a regular PPV at the moment, due to their layouts and lead-ins to the thing. They need something special to make this different than just another show.

Corkscrewed
02-15-2005, 03:38 AM
I'll make the prediction that it'll be HHH vs Batista this year.

Because HHH will retain.

:shifty:

darkpower
02-15-2005, 04:06 AM
If they don't pull off something big, it seems that the whole WM will be a letdown. The entire thing kinda looks like a regular PPV at the moment, due to their layouts and lead-ins to the thing. They need something special to make this different than just another show.
I'm sure we will see it, though. They don't usually start making the matches official until after No Way Out. They always find a way to make it "special" since it is Vince's baby, after all.

Dave Youell
02-15-2005, 07:49 AM
Cena/JBL will be just fine, it will be a slugfest brawl which both men can do well.

Biggest let down for me was Mania XX generally, they hyped it up to be the best thing ever and it wasn't

XL
02-15-2005, 09:01 AM
I know it's early but this years WM looks a bit shifty!! I mean that proposed tag match is gonna stink and you know who's gonna win!! JBL/Cena would be a good slug but not really into that, I could see the same happening with HHH/Batista, bearing in mind neither man is reknown for his technical ability.

On the flipside the mid card looks good, Angle/HBK should be amazing, if both are fit enough to go at it properly, can't complain about Jericho/Benoit part 33234, cos it'll be a brilliant match (if they go with it that is!)

There's still an issue with what everybody else is doing...

Orton/Christian would have been good but they did it on Raw, so where do these two go??

You've got Eddie/Rey/Booker (hey that sounds like a good name!) on SD! still to work with.

As I said its early, let's see in a couple of weeks if it shapes up any better

Jacko
02-15-2005, 09:20 AM
Agree - WM XX was crap.

My fav WM's include WM 8 (for Macho vs Flair ;)) 14, 15, 7, 18 and 19.

SuperSlim
02-15-2005, 10:09 AM
the only thing I really see saving WM this year is Angle/Michales.

Nothing else really sticks out as OMG I MUST SEE THIS!

as far as big letdowns.

WMXX -Taker's return was a huge letdown for me bein a fan of his since '92
- Cruiserweight open - too many people there just to job. I was rootin for Jamie Noble to win it seein those elimiations he did.
- both tag matches. I mean who gives a flyin piece of monkey crap about Rikishi and Soctty? I don't know of many that did at the time.
- Lesnar/Goldberg w/ Austin as guest ref. - Had poetntial to be the showstealer. I mean not with tech skills but overall with those three in there but Austin did nothing and most of teh match was made just by the fans chantin some of the best stuff man.

WMXIX - Jericho jobbin to Michales. That match was awesome but to end like that was just blah.

WMX-7 - Austin beatin Rock with a chair like that to win was pathetic and bad lookin
- Gimmick battle royal, just not as good as it could have been

WrestleMania2000 - the fatal fourway for the WWF title. First it strayed from tradition and some things I'ma a big traditionalist on and that was one of them. But instead of really making this thing good ya know with every mcMahon in a corner turned into the typical McMahon family feud. Then that thing that LInda had set up if Mic won then he never did, eliminated second... :nono: so we were stuck with Rock vs. HHH which was good but still it's the principle.

WM XV - Taker/Bossman in the cell. that match was nothing. That was one really wasted Hell in a Cell.

WM IX - Bret jobbin only for Hogan to win it in under a minute. I mean how bad did that make Bret look.

Arashi Kage
02-15-2005, 05:52 PM

So true.

Essentially, everyone came to see Hogan/Rock, and during the HHH/Y2J match, SkyDome was slowly becoming vacant.

There were no crowd noise during the HHH/Y2J match that was anywhere comparable to the Hogan/Rock match.

I'll never forget the atmosphere inside Skydome during the Hogan chants.

Loose Cannon
02-15-2005, 06:13 PM
Never really been let down before. I mean I was a casual fan from WM 4-15, so I wasn't saying to myself, "Oh god, they should of never done that, they should of done this."

And for the rest, everything was what I expected it to be. I never hype anything in my mind cause you'll just end up being letdown :)

John la Rock
02-15-2005, 07:17 PM
another huge let down for me was the main-event for Wrestlemania 2000. It should have been Rock/HHH 1-1. instead they fucked it up and made it a 4 way bull shit match