PDA

View Full Version : DISCUSSION - Should Chris Masters receive a similar type push that Brock Lesnar got?

Heyman
02-20-2005, 04:50 PM
DISCUSSION - Should Chris Masters receive a similar type push that Brock Lesnar got?

Here is what I think.

-Lesnar will not be welcome back to the WWE with open arms
-If Lesnar comes back to the WWE, most of the lockerroom will be bitter towards him
-If Lesnar comes back to the WWE, the WWE may try and punish him by making him do JOBS.

In short, I *highly* doubt that a WWE return for Lesnar will create a positive experience for all parties involved.

So with this in mind, should Chris Masters receive a similar (but not the exact same.....I'll elaborate on this a bit later) push to Brock Lesnar? I would argue, "yes".

Basically, here is how I think Masters should be pushed:

-Have Masters 'squash' wrestlers for the first few months of his WWE tenure (similar to Lesnar and Goldberg in this regard).

-Have Masters dominate practically *ALL* of his matches (just like Goldberg/Lesnar), but here's the key difference..........don't allow Masters to win anything of MAJOR significance for quite some time.. *THAT* should be the ultimate difference between Masters and Lesnar/Goldberg.

I think one problem that Goldberg and Lesnar had, was they achieved too much success far too quickly........and basically, had "nothing left" to achieve. Because of this, it lead to them ultimately losing passion for the business. Goldberg and Lesnar couldn't fully appreciate what was given to them, for that very reason.........."it was given to them".

So in one sense, I believe that Chris Masters should have to 'pay his dues'.

-Have Masters squash his opponents a la Lesnar/Goldberg

-However, don't have Masters win any Royal Rumbles, Wrestlemania main-event matches, or World titles anytime soon.

Perhaps in this sense, Chris Masters' push should be similar to Kurt Angle's initial push. Give Masters an "Angle-like" push (in terms of time duration it takes to win a World title, etc.), but give him the Lesnar/Godlberg type "dominance" in the ring. Although Angle won most of his matches at the start, a lot of them was by 'luck' as well. Don't do that with Masters.

PullMyFinger
02-20-2005, 05:01 PM
I'm still feeling a no for some reason. As far as nu-Lesnar goes..but in a different path it took to get there....it's Batista.

There are so many new wrestlers coming on Raw (few on Smackdown! where they need it)..its like this year is the year of wrestling rookies.

KingofOldSchool
02-20-2005, 05:14 PM
No.

The Answer
02-20-2005, 05:19 PM
No, I have seen this guy live and was not very impressed. The "Masterpiece" is a mix of Scott Steiner and Renee Dupree physique wise. But from I saw he is pretty green in the ring. I see him being a mid carder at best.

The CyNick
02-20-2005, 06:58 PM
ha, no

Kane Knight
02-20-2005, 07:15 PM
TEH VETRENS DONT OW TEH NOOBS NETHING!!!!!!!!!!!

Funky Fly
02-20-2005, 07:24 PM
It doesn't work well like that. Brock developed a huge ego and startd complaining about storylines and eventually quit. The Brock method is too much too fast.

They should build him up solidly, but kepp him out of any mai events for a long time. Then have him in 1 (and only 1) main event in a PPV or a high profile Raw match (let's say a 6 man tag or fatal 4-way, anything where it's not 1 on 1). Have him do reasonably well in the match, and then on the next Raw he can say he had a taste of the big time and wants more. That's when you move him to the upper mid card and build him into a future main event player. And by future,, I mean no title for at least 2 years.

Kane Knight
02-20-2005, 07:29 PM
It doesn't work well like that. Brock developed a huge ego and startd complaining about storylines and eventually quit. The Brock method is too much too fast.
You're using the example of a guy who was a bad example. That's a shit way of determining the validity of pushing someone fast.

That's like saying you're a Bush buttmonkey, because Colin Powell was, so all black folks are tools for Bush.

Savio
02-20-2005, 07:41 PM
I haven't even seen him wrestle he probably won't draw me to watching like Lesnar. IMO Lesnar was 10s all around ON CAMERA.

Funky Fly
02-20-2005, 08:00 PM
You're using the example of a guy who was a bad example. That's a shit way of determining the validity of pushing someone fast.

That's like saying you're a Bush buttmonkey, because Colin Powell was, so all black folks are tools for Bush.
lol

I see where you're going with this, but you gotta admit that pushing someone as fast as Brock isn't exactly good for ego control.

Innovator
02-20-2005, 08:40 PM
See Snitsky, Gene and Heidenreich, John

The CyNick
02-20-2005, 09:08 PM
Almost all the guys they bring up from OVW are either not ready or are used in a way that is opposite to how they were used in OVW.

If you read stuff from people who follow OVW, the guys they say ae ready to be brought up are usually brought up last.

Masters just looks too generic to get over in any significant way.

Hired Hitman
02-20-2005, 10:26 PM
I like Luther's character more...

The Naitch
02-20-2005, 10:37 PM
Chris Jindrak

Mark Masters

BigDaddyCool
02-20-2005, 10:55 PM
No, because having big dudes dominate is so played out.

Fox
02-20-2005, 10:55 PM
It's too early to answer this question.

I haven't seen him in action before, but chances are, he's just like all the other green guys the WWE has brought in lately - meaning he's all flash and little sizzle. If that be the case, then Chris Masters should recieve a push similar to Mordecai's - a month on TV, a career in OVW.

The Naitch
02-20-2005, 11:03 PM
lol I remember loads of tpww posters (Loose Satan to be specific) were all creaming over Mordecai's debut. Now he's in OVW

Mr. Nerfect
02-21-2005, 03:10 AM
I think he should be given a least some kind of credibility when he debuts. I guess they'll just have him serve like Simon Dean and Maven as joke heels, though.

I don't know a thing about Masters, but from what I've heard he's pretty green in the ring. If this is the case, he's being brought up only for his look, and that will fail badly.

Part of me doesn't even want to see Masters, but since we are I voted yes as he needs at least to pick up some wins to become interesting.

Loose Cannon
02-21-2005, 10:44 AM
Mordecai failed cause they fucked up his push right from the start by putting him with crusierweights. What the hell was he doing wrestling them? Then Holly doesn't sell for him at all and he jobs to Mysterio. Doesn't take a genious to see that was going to fail. Great chracater, great look, cool segments, terrible handling.

He should of been paired with a "monster" right from the start as some sort of cult leader. Kane would of been great to use there.

VonErich Lives
02-21-2005, 10:58 AM
ok, I'll admit I had to look up who this guy was, since I hadn't heard of him.

He is a big strong guy, but I don't think he has the size to get the type of push you're talking about.

Lesner was like 6'3 and close to 300lbs.
Batista is 6'5 and over 310lbs
according to the info I found on Masters he's 6'4 and around 250lbs.

by WWE standers, that's not a "huge" guy. Now, maybe they'll give him lifts or something, but to "dominate" the way you're talking in the age of "bigger is better" WWE, you gotta be over 6'5 or at least over 300lbs (Lesner being close to that weight).

Heck, this guys a few inchies taller then Cena but only about 20lbs heavier.

Edge is taller then him and only about 20lbs less in weight.

Could either of those guys "dominate" in the way you talked?

Also, those types of pushes always create problems.

Look at Lesner, Big Show when he hit WCW at "The Giant".

There's no way for something like that not to go to your head.

Kane Knight
02-21-2005, 11:05 AM
Mordecai failed cause they fucked up his push right from the start by putting him with crusierweights. What the hell was he doing wrestling them? Then Holly doesn't sell for him at all and he jobs to Mysterio. Doesn't take a genious to see that was going to fail. Great chracater, great look, cool segments, terrible handling.

He should of been paired with a "monster" right from the start as some sort of cult leader. Kane would of been great to use there.
Doesn't help that he was also considered "green" in the ring, but let's ignore that in an attempt to pretend he was worthy yet wasted.

SuperSlim
02-21-2005, 11:18 AM
i still say no

Loose Cannon
02-21-2005, 11:28 AM
Fertig is not at bad worker by any means. If you consider him "green," then you would have to consider a ton of other guys "green." If you've only seen him in WWE, then you would probably figure he was really "green."

He had a character, much like Taker's, that wasn't suppossed to sell and was suppossed to dominate matches. Problem One: He was too short for the part. Problem two: A non-crusierweight dominating crusierweights doesn't look good, especially when nobody cares about cruierweights. Holly totally not selling for him didn't work. And then he sells like crazy for Mysterio. Like I said, they exposed him too much and booked him the opposite of how he should of been booked.

Look at Taker. Green as hell in the ring when he came in, BUT WHY DID IT WORK? Cause he basically dominated and beat the shit out of everyone he faced. Early on, guys got almost no offense against him. That's how your suppossed to book the "mysterious" characters.

Gouda
02-21-2005, 11:33 AM
No, because having big dudes dominate is so played out.
I know! Let's have Masters get totally beat down in all of his matchups and break down crying at various points! :yes:

Kane Knight
02-21-2005, 11:38 AM
Fertig is not at bad worker by any means. If you consider him "green," then you would have to consider a ton of other guys "green." If you've only seen him in WWE, then you would probably figure he was really "green."

He had a character, much like Taker's, that wasn't suppossed to sell and was suppossed to dominate matches. Problem One: He was too short for the part. Problem two: A non-crusierweight dominating crusierweights doesn't look good, especially when nobody cares about cruierweights. Holly totally not selling for him didn't work. And then he sells like crazy for Mysterio. Like I said, they exposed him too much and booked him the opposite of how he should of been booked.

Look at Taker. Green as hell in the ring when he came in, BUT WHY DID IT WORK? Cause he basically dominated and beat the shit out of everyone he faced. Early on, guys got almost no offense against him. That's how your suppossed to book the "mysterious" characters.
I dozed off about 3 seconds into reading that. You have managed to suck any intelligble interest out of the subject with your anal pontification.

Loose Cannon
02-21-2005, 12:25 PM
LOL CLASSIC

"Anal Pontification." Good One :y: I learn new phrases everyday.

PullMyFinger
02-21-2005, 01:16 PM
I'm still waiting for Mordecai to come back....

Kane Knight
02-21-2005, 01:21 PM
Naw. Classic is using the same old "He's got a CHARACTER" argument that's been used by Hogan fans to defend anyhbody you feel like jerkin' off to today. We get it. You're a rabid fanboy, blah blah blah. Your apologist attitude is boring though, because it's so amazingly swiss cheesed at this point by the number of people who have tried to make the same argument for so many weak-ass superstars.

It's admirable, however, that you're not ashamed to act like a five year old screaming MORDECAIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII! At the top of his lungs.

Loose Cannon
02-21-2005, 01:43 PM
ROFL. Keep em coming. "Rabid Fanboy." You used that one before though :(

Try to stay away from having opinions on a message board guys. :y:

Innovator
02-21-2005, 01:45 PM
ROFL. Keep em coming. "Rabid Fanboy." You used that one before though :(

Try to stay away from having opinions on a message board guys. :y:I was a retarded fanboy, you're lucky.

Normal Is Me
02-21-2005, 03:01 PM

I have always thought he should have created a cool stable when he debut.

Batista - the greatest man
Rhyno - the greatest animal
Undertaker - dead man he resurrected

Even if the character Mordecai did not turn out too well, I would like to see Kevin Fertig and Rhyno pair up as a tag team for the long run. I think they could be a pretty impressive team. And since Rhyno is never going to be pushed, anything is better than nothing.

Anybody Thrilla
02-21-2005, 03:10 PM
Masters worked a dark match before Raw last week in Cincinnati. His style is pretty old school, kinda Hercules like, and while he didn't have a mic, he seemed to be pretty charismatic. I think he has a chance of being SOMEWHAT successful, but it seems like his schtick has been done so many times before that it may hurt the character.

Anybody Thrilla
02-21-2005, 03:11 PM
Oh, and the finisher he used was a full nelson. That's gonna have to change.

blake639raw
02-21-2005, 07:41 PM
He should be given a few wins, to eventually be fed to Batista, just like Snitsky should, but that's it. They got Batista, and Kane both on RAW. If they're gonna push any big guys, it should be them.

Fox
02-21-2005, 09:43 PM
This Chris Masters character reminds me of Lex Luger's character from the late 80's/early 90's, when he would come out to the ring with all those girls holding mirrors and pose a lot and shit. That could work if he were paired up with a hot diva to play off of and REALLY show off as a cocky bastard. Then he's gonna have to win matches (and do it in an entertaining fashion, i.e. not like Hassan) to get himself over.

How's this for an idea: Chris Masters and a heel Christy Hemme? That red head would be so much hotter as a heel.

Mr. Nerfect
02-21-2005, 10:52 PM
This Chris Masters character reminds me of Lex Luger's character from the late 80's/early 90's, when he would come out to the ring with all those girls holding mirrors and pose a lot and shit. That could work if he were paired up with a hot diva to play off of and REALLY show off as a cocky bastard. Then he's gonna have to win matches (and do it in an entertaining fashion, i.e. not like Hassan) to get himself over.

How's this for an idea: Chris Masters and a heel Christy Hemme? That red head would be so much hotter as a heel.

You have got some great ideas. :y:

I'd rather see Candice Michelle take the roll as his valet, though. And from what I hear from RAW, he brushed off Ric Flair, which is a good start for his character.

Image if he took Stacy Keibler away from Orton, then actually put Orton in the Full Nelson to the point where Orton couldn't get up or to the ropes, so he just passed out, giving Orton a submission wn over Orton (after taking Stacy for his own).

They can do something with this guy, as long as they make him a wrestler that is more concerned with winning matches than showing off his body. If he shows off like Jindrak does, he will come off as cocky and arrogant, without any intensity to his figure at all. If they push him as cocky outside of the ring, and then push him as effective inside the ring, he just may get over.

Anybody Thrilla
02-22-2005, 01:36 AM
That Lex Luger "Narcissist" gimmick wasn't alive in the 80's at all, silly guy. I don't know why, but I just had the urge to point that out.

46 & 2
02-22-2005, 03:07 AM
That Lex Luger "Narcissist" gimmick wasn't alive in the 80's at all

And neither was winning a match with a fucking full nelson, but put the 2 together and WOW what a waste of possible talent!

Also, I'd just like to add that if it's going to be Christy vs Trish in a whore-off (or even worse yet, a match) at WM21, I won't be ordering it.

LK
02-22-2005, 02:07 PM
Having just watched him I cannot say I was particularly impressed.

BTW on Mordecai, I stand by what I said that he should have gotten a stable and he should have been the leader but didn't wrestle. For example when he beat up Kidman and Akio they should of had him convert those two and they would follow him like Disciples, sort of like RTC. Meanwhile Mordecai would have been in OVW getting more training and giving OVW some more star power until he was ready to make the complete transition to the WWE.

Mr. Nerfect
02-22-2005, 04:03 PM
Mordecai was't as green as a lot of people say. I am still pushing for him to rbing the Seven character to RAW. Kane vs. Seven at WrestleMania would be something I'd pay to see with the proper build-up.