PDA

View Full Version : My Devil May Cry 3 Review

AareDub
02-25-2005, 12:26 AM
Phew, I just finished beating it. First of all I have to say that I'm not a huge fan of the series, I played through part one but I gamesharked my way past it in like a day or two. However, having said that, I really enjoyed this game. It was a bit slow going at first, but that was mainly because I hadn't figure out how to turn the japanese text into english yet. All the audio was english anyway, but I couldn't read the tutorial screens. After I got that problem solved I started over and got really immersed in the game.

The fighting styles help the game out tremendously, it lets you play the game how you want to play it. There's a total of 6, 4 of them are available from the start. On a similar note they spaced out the new weapons and styles perfectly. Just as soon as you think something might get repetitive they give you a new weapon, a new style, or a new surrounding. It stayed pretty interesting throughout. My only complaint about this is that sometimes you end up in a new surrounding, or start a new mission, and don't really have a clear idea of what you're supposed to be doing or where you're supposed to go. There were quite a few times I had to wander around a bit to figure out what was going on.

A lot of games in this genre can be completed by simply pressing one button over and over, that's not the case in DMC3. The combo system is great and the difficulty is intense. I started out just mashing buttons basically, but as I got farther in the game I started getting a good feel for the combo system and it made the game that much more fun.

The mission system is very unique and very cool in my opinion. Say, for instance, you start a game on the normal difficulty and play through 4 missions. Then you want to try out a different difficult, you can start from the beginning on a different difficulty all within the same save file. You can play a few levels on hard, then pick up right where you left off on your normal difficulty game later. The best part about that is that all of your weapons and stats carry over between all the difficulties. I just beat the game on normal, now I can go back to where I left off on the hard difficulty and be a lot stronger than I was originally.

If none of the stuff I wrote so far seems to interest you, I'll throw in this last bit. This game has the most awesome cutscenes I've ever seen. They are excellently coreographed and each one will leave you saying WOW! There is a cutscene at the beginning and ending of each mission (20 missions total) and every one is spectacular.

The game took me about 7 hours to complete and was overall a really enjoyable experience. I'd give it an 8/10, and that's saying a lot coming from somebody who isn't really a fan.

Jason Cage
03-02-2005, 08:27 AM
did it take 7 hours to finish because u used shitloads of gamesharks though?

Kane Knight
03-03-2005, 12:51 AM
Doubtful. The last DMC didn't have a hell of a lot of play time either.

Mister Sinister
03-03-2005, 04:20 AM
Yeah and I beat the first one, in just a little over 9 hours...The games normally aren't very long, but however are fun as hell

Kalyx triaD
03-03-2005, 06:31 AM
Jesus H Christ this game is freaking hard. Ninja Gaiden hard. Not cheap, but a rewarding hard, like Halo 2 Legendary hard. But it's cool, because what you can pull off is so cool. You had to play part one for a while before you can do the things I've been doing. Gunslinger's the way to go. Sword style is the key to beating that ice dog. Royal Guard is for pansies. Tricker seems lame at first, but I'm sure it'll get cool later. Very hard game. Very cool game.

Kane Knight
03-03-2005, 10:36 AM
Yeah and I beat the first one, in just a little over 9 hours...The games normally aren't very long, but however are fun as hell
I never finished the game.

The second that is. It was mind numbingly easy and not that interesting. So I lost interest and traded it in. The first one wasn't very long, but had some decenr replay value anyway. I still would prefer a 20+ hour DMC game.

I'm glad to see this one's getting called really HARD. I'm sick of massively easy games. I want to actually be challenged.

Fignuts
03-03-2005, 11:23 AM
I never finished the game.

The second that is. It was mind numbingly easy and not that interesting. So I lost interest and traded it in. The first one wasn't very long, but had some decenr replay value anyway. I still would prefer a 20+ hour DMC game.

I'm glad to see this one's getting called really HARD. I'm sick of massively easy games. I want to actually be challenged.

Play any Commandos games. You can find them pretty easily and the first two are only ten bucks a pop.

Kane Knight
03-03-2005, 12:45 PM
Commandos?

McDoogle
03-03-2005, 02:55 PM
This game is pretty good....about a hundred times better than DMC 2.

Mister Sinister
03-04-2005, 12:30 PM
I just got it, haven't had much time to play it, since I'm switching back between it and Tekken 5...which is giving me a guilt trip because I just got MVP Baseball 2005 and Gran Turismo 4 just last week...

So far, it's awesome, I love the opening Cinema, where Dante and his brother Vergil are fighting each other and how, at the End, Vergil throws his hair back and looks like a Super Saiyan

McDoogle
03-04-2005, 03:21 PM
What the fuck is a "Super Saiyan"?

Sephiroth
03-04-2005, 06:55 PM

It's like an super chinese with gold hair. :roll:

AareDub
03-06-2005, 12:28 PM
did it take 7 hours to finish because u used shitloads of gamesharks though?

The only cheat I used was to unlock all the costumes, videos, and difficulties. For those interested you just hold all the shoulder buttons on the title screen and rotate the left analog stick.

Kane Knight
03-07-2005, 10:29 AM
It's from Dragonball Z. Really bad action show for people insecure about their penis size.

Jason Cage
03-08-2005, 05:16 PM
OK SERIOUSLY IM PLAYIN THIS GAME AND IT ROX.

BUT WTFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF.

It's not very hard but just plain fucking retarded. I'm on mission 6...or was it 7. the mission where I fight my bro. And it's fuckin stupid cause there's like a thousand things you have to do before reaching, and once you do. You obviously die the first time and have to start all over again. Spend another 20 fuckin minutes ATTEMPTING to reach it there. And your budget is real tight cause there so much shit to buy and potions' prize rise everytime you buy one. So now I have it to like 5000. SO WHAT THEW FUCK.

the part where u have to break the sphere thingy to get the stone so you can later use it to open the door which leads to your brother is fucking hard. When you get out you have like very little enrgy. Then you go back to a room and theres like another 27540 foes including the boss guy you fought in the first stage. And then you go out and fight another boss.

AND ALL THIS SHIT WITHOUT BEING ABLE TO FUCKING SAVE ONCE. THATS FUCKIN STUPIUD.

This game is the man. But it's just fuckin ridiculous and intolerable.

AareDub
03-08-2005, 10:11 PM
Hmm I was able to continue after I died in the first fight against him. It started me over right at the battle with full health. Did you reset it when you lost or something?

Oh, and I also never bought any potions... actually I wasn't even aware that you could do so. :shrug:

Jason Cage
03-09-2005, 04:38 PM
ah i just restarted on easy with all my shit and beat it.

ALL I GOOT TO SAY ABOUT THE SEQUENCE AFDTER IS : OIEWUTR932UGOIEWHJG-0LKDSDNVDN HOLY FUCK.

Yes. Choreography = God in this game.

AareDub
03-09-2005, 10:41 PM
Yea, I still can't believe how most of that shit was motion captured. Best game choreography ever.

Disturbed316
06-02-2005, 02:57 PM
Bump

Just this second finished the game, what an ending. Like the way you can do stuff during the credits, although I wanted to see what the music was called so I could download it. :drool: @ the motion capture video. Cant wait for the next one.