PDA

View Full Version : Wrestlers: Anti-American Gimmick

Loose Cannon
02-25-2005, 11:05 PM
Yea, so how many wrestlers have used this. Help me compile the list.

Shiek
Slaughter
Volkoff
Zukov
The 5 Hart Foundation members (do you count Pillman using it?)
Borga
Yoko
Storm
Regal
Test
X-tian
La Resistance

Keep it going.

MVP
02-25-2005, 11:06 PM
Team Canada

Loose Cannon
02-25-2005, 11:15 PM
Crush
Hassan
Elix Skipper
The Quebecors (sp) (w/ Team Canada in WCW)

Volchok
02-25-2005, 11:27 PM
damn.. there are alot...

HeartBreakMan2k
02-25-2005, 11:31 PM
Hassan doesn't really use an Anti-American gimmick, his gimmick is more of a "I am an American you dumb shits and a much better American than you are at that!" type deal.

Zen v.W.o.
02-25-2005, 11:38 PM
LC, I dont really think Pillman cared about the whole usa thing..he sided with his friends as they stuck up for him and he for them. I cant see Pillman fighting over any values whatsoever.

Nowhere Man
02-25-2005, 11:40 PM
God, that is easily the most hackneyed and awful gimmick in existence. The only one worth the time has been Hassan, just because he's got a justifiable twist to it.

D'Lo Brown
Chazz
Tiger Ali Singh
Chris Benoit*
Shane Douglas*
Perry Saturn*
Dean Malenko*
"Hacksaw" Jim Duggan**
"Primetime" Elix Skipper**
Sgt. Slaughter
Petey Williams***
Scott D'Amore***
Bobby Roode***
Johnny Divine***
The Original Sheik (not the Iron Sheik)
Alex Wright/Berlyn
Malice/The Wall

I'm not even going to go into all the foreign heels who are heels simply by flaunting the fact that they're foreign, since there's too damn many.

*Member of WCW's Revolution
**Member of WCW's Team Canada
***Member of TNA's Team Canada

PullMyFinger
02-26-2005, 12:44 AM
I forget...but didn't Mike Awesome play an anti-American gimmick in WCW? Hahahaha, I remember one time there was a hardcore match or US title match on a WCW ppv...he kept losing, but everytime it wouldn't count b/c they were going under "Canadian rules." I forgot who he was wrestling against...but I was cracking up the whole time. He got pinned 1, 2, 3, and suddenly the announcer would say "in Canada, it's 5 counts to win the match."

KingofOldSchool
02-26-2005, 01:45 AM
Nikita Koloff
Ivan Koloff
Krusher Kruschev (sp)

Savio
02-26-2005, 02:05 AM
Dupree

You know the gimmick when JR says only 2 things: "They still accept our pay checks" and "Love it or leave it!"

PullMyFinger
02-26-2005, 02:16 AM
Nikita Koloff
Ivan Koloff
Krusher Kruschev (sp)
I'm guessing Kruschev was the USSR leader rip off?

PullMyFinger
02-26-2005, 02:16 AM
Dupree

You know the gimmick when JR says only 2 things: "They still accept our pay checks" and "Love it or leave it!"
That's why I get so glad when JR gets his ass kicked on Raw.

Fox
02-26-2005, 05:21 AM
God, that is easily the most hackneyed and awful gimmick in existence. The only one worth the time has been Hassan, just because he's got a justifiable twist to it.

D'Lo Brown
Chazz
Tiger Ali Singh
Chris Benoit*
Shane Douglas*
Perry Saturn*
Dean Malenko*
"Hacksaw" Jim Duggan**
"Primetime" Elix Skipper**
Sgt. Slaughter
Petey Williams***
Scott D'Amore***
Bobby Roode***
Johnny Divine***
The Original Sheik (not the Iron Sheik)
Alex Wright/Berlyn
Malice/The Wall

I'm not even going to go into all the foreign heels who are heels simply by flaunting the fact that they're foreign, since there's too damn many.

*Member of WCW's Revolution
**Member of WCW's Team Canada
***Member of TNA's Team Canada

I don't believe WCW's Revolution had anything to do with being Anti-American.

When he turns heel again, I think Chris Jericho should do an anti-American gimmick. Play up the fact that the company has been announcing him from New York for the past two years, but that he is a born and bred Canadian through and through, and the rest will just work itself out, because Jericho is the man.

Loose Cannon
02-26-2005, 10:59 AM
Yea, Revolution wasn't Anti-American. If I remember, it was a Revolution against the politics of WCW.

The Russians were awesome together :y:

KingofOldSchool
02-26-2005, 11:33 AM
Yea, Revolution wasn't Anti-American. If I remember, it was a Revolution against the politics of WCW.

Actually, before Perry and Dean went to the WWF, Revolution were kinda Anti-American, as they went and bashed America in front of the White House and other vintages.

However, Benoit broke away from the group before they went with this angle.

Loose Cannon
02-26-2005, 11:36 AM
^^yea, right after I posted that, I went up stairs and thought to myself, "Wait, wasn't there a vintage in front of some famous statue bashing America.?" I kind of remember now. WCW was confusing back then. :nono:

Kane Knight
02-26-2005, 11:38 AM
Hassan doesn't really use an Anti-American gimmick, his gimmick is more of a "I am an American you dumb shits and a much better American than you are at that!" type deal.
Some of his promos have been very anti-American in their essence, and were largely constructed on a stereotypical Anti-US sentiment. Just because he's got a better rationale doesn't mean it's not pretty much the same gimmick.

Loose Cannon
02-26-2005, 11:40 AM
actually, the one thing I remember most about Revolution is one segment (and it might of been when they first formed) when they were fighting some other stable and Douglas comes in like 3 minutes late with only one boot on. He was carrying the other one inhis hand :lol:

Pepsi Man
02-26-2005, 11:43 AM
I'm not sure how burning the American flag after talking about how horrible America is can be referred to as anything other than "Anti-American".

(regarding Revolution)

I remember the Nitro when they were going to burn the flag, and of all people, Bret Hart came out to save it.

Loose Cannon
02-26-2005, 11:47 AM
lol really? Don't remember this at all.

Pepsi Man
02-26-2005, 11:49 AM
lol really? Don't remember this at all.
Yeah, they had like a trash can or something, and I think they put gasoline in it before they put the flag in, but before they could set it ablaze, Bret (who, granted, WAS a babyface at the time) came out and attacked them. I think Bret even waved the flag.

Cool King
02-26-2005, 11:50 AM
Test

KingofOldSchool
02-26-2005, 12:02 PM
Yeah, they had like a trash can or something, and I think they put gasoline in it before they put the flag in, but before they could set it ablaze, Bret (who, granted, WAS a babyface at the time) came out and attacked them. I think Bret even waved the flag.

Hahahaha I remember that.

Then the WWE did that with the Un-Americans a few years ago with Kane, Booker T, and Goldust playing the de facto patriots.

Pepsi Man
02-26-2005, 12:23 PM
Hahahaha I remember that.

Then the WWE did that with the Un-Americans a few years ago with Kane, Booker T, and Goldust playing the de facto patriots.
and Bradshaw. :D

Stickman
02-26-2005, 12:38 PM
The Mountie....he rocked.

Fox
02-26-2005, 06:41 PM
Anyone mention Kai-En-Tai?

Or even Tajiri's short stint in his Asian group of Akio and Sakoda, that was kind of anti-American because... well, because wrestling fans automatically hate any heel asian wrestlers and chant "USA" at them.

Chuck Jones
02-26-2005, 06:42 PM
Hans Schmidt (French Canadian grappler, wrestled in the 1950's, used a Nazi gimmick.)

PullMyFinger
02-26-2005, 06:48 PM
Hans Schmidt (French Canadian grappler, wrestled in the 1950's, used a Nazi gimmick.)
hahahahahahaha