PDA

View Full Version : Does raw have too many main eventers?

Fignuts
03-08-2005, 01:08 PM
Seriously.

I'm happy about Batista, because it has been one of the best told stories in a long time, but at the same time I'm hesitant about it, because it adds another name to an already crowded scene. I mean we have Triple H, Orton, Edge, Shawn Micheals, Benoit, Jericho, Kane, and now Batista. No, not all of these guys are widely considered main event, but if any of these guys challenged for the world title, no one would say anything against it. Any one of these guys can jump into the title picture at any time. My concern is what happens when they are not in the title picture. Look at Orton. Ever since he dropped the belt to hunter hes seemed...I don't know...lost. Micheals seems similar, but not to the same degree as Orton. I've almost forgotten that Benoit was a world champion. Jericho is an exception as he is able to stay over and popular no matter where he is on the card...which is a serious credit to his ability. Edge has been gaining steam, as he has been in central storylines, but whats next? Kane seems to be headed nowhere after his snitsky feud. Who is he going to take on now? Tomko? I think one or two of these guys should definitly go to smackdown. If rumors are true, and this is Angle's last match then they are going to need it.

Also did anyone else laugh when micheals said, "It's been a long time since I felt the rage of another man." ?

PullMyFinger
03-08-2005, 01:12 PM
Let's take a look at SD's main eventers....John Cena, a shitty Big Show (sorry, some may like him, I just don't), a shitty JBL who can only work a mic, Kurt Angle (who's leaving now). I DON'T GET WHY SD CANT GRAB TWO OR THREE OF RAW'S MAIN EVENTERS!!!!

Fignuts
03-08-2005, 01:22 PM
And not to mention rising stars like Benjamin and Hassan. Raw can definitly manage to lose a couple guys. Personally, I would send over Jericho and Benoit.

Corkscrewed
03-08-2005, 01:25 PM
Funny... here I thought only HHH was the main eventer.... :shifty:

Anybody Thrilla
03-08-2005, 01:25 PM
I don't want any of them to leave Raw because I don't really watch Smackdown. I'm selfish. I think Angle and Cena may as well just come over to Raw too, since it's obviously the show that they care about.

Kane Knight
03-08-2005, 01:35 PM
NO, they don't have too many main eventers. The writers are just too fucking stupid to write plots more complicated than (X feuds with Y for ninth week in a row).

As someone mentioned recently, and I think it was CyNick, there was a time when there was more than one main event story arc going. It was done well, and even when one died down you had a few others already set up to carry you to the next PPV. Nowadays, blech. You could even make the title scene stronger by having a few of these main eventers chasing the WHT. You know, instead of waiting like 2 weeks before WM to pull Orton/Undertaker out of your ass.

Or, and this is gonna sound crazy, you can take a little less time to do Triple H's hour-long ego-wank, and add some more time for the other stars...

Fignuts
03-08-2005, 03:55 PM
I think a lot of that had to do with the fact that the writers didn't have as much power back then. A lot of the workers were giving there own input on the direction of their characters and storylines. Thats how I think it should be. They should let people who know the business write the stories. Not some guy who wrote the episode of "Family Matters" that Urkle was fighting in a videogame.

Fignuts
03-08-2005, 03:58 PM
But still, with seven main eventers, and midcarders like christian, benjamin, snitsky, and Hassan to make time for, as well as the women's division(as fucked as it is right now) there is still a large chance of someone getting lost in the shuffle, even with good writing.

There are far too many commas in the preceding statement.

Corkscrewed
03-08-2005, 04:09 PM
NO, they don't have too many main eventers. The writers are just too fucking stupid to write plots more complicated than (X feuds with Y for ninth week in a row).

As someone mentioned recently, and I think it was CyNick, there was a time when there was more than one main event story arc going. It was done well, and even when one died down you had a few others already set up to carry you to the next PPV. Nowadays, blech. You could even make the title scene stronger by having a few of these main eventers chasing the WHT. You know, instead of waiting like 2 weeks before WM to pull Orton/Undertaker out of your ass.

I've said the exact same thing for a while, and it goes beyond main eventers. During its heyday, the WWE had several story arcs for EVERY level. Midcard: three or four. Main event: two or three. Tag team: everyone has a chance to win.

Stuff like that covers the bases. Not this half-assed stuff. I mean, when they want to, the writers can do some great stuff. Just look at Batista's slow turn. But they don't seem to put effort, and that's the frustrating part.

Kane Knight
03-08-2005, 04:14 PM
I've said the exact same thing for a while, and it goes beyond main eventers. During its heyday, the WWE had several story arcs for EVERY level. Midcard: three or four. Main event: two or three. Tag team: everyone has a chance to win.

Stuff like that covers the bases. Not this half-assed stuff. I mean, when they want to, the writers can do some great stuff. Just look at Batista's slow turn. But they don't seem to put effort, and that's the frustrating part.
Yeah. The closest they're coming right now is Pushing Batista while playing up Edge's lust for the WHT. Ooooh. Talk about dramatic. Except Edge won't go much beyond this little sort of "mini" push he keeps getting, so he's not really being built. He looks more like the guy they bring up from Heat for one night to make the new star or champion look good. You know, the guy who replaced Richards. ( :'( )