PDA

View Full Version : what is up with things these days?

thehook
03-19-2005, 06:20 PM
I quit watching a few years ago before it was WWE I think. I would like to know some stuff. I have turned it on a few times and sat through it. What happened to all the cool weapons, street fights, falls count anywhere and hardcore matches? Have they done away with this all important attribute to wrestling all together?

Where is Sabu and why the hell isn't he in WWE changing the buisness and pushing everyone else. New Jack? Sandman? Stone Cold? What about old Tank Abbot and Dan the Beast Severn?

thanks
matt

Volchok
03-19-2005, 07:24 PM
wow... just wow...

KayfabeMan
03-19-2005, 07:38 PM
I quit watching a few years ago before it was WWE I think. I would like to know some stuff. I have turned it on a few times and sat through it. What happened to all the cool weapons, street fights, falls count anywhere and hardcore matches? Have they done away with this all important attribute to wrestling all together?

Where is Sabu and why the hell isn't he in WWE changing the buisness and pushing everyone else. New Jack? Sandman? Stone Cold? What about old Tank Abbot and Dan the Beast Severn?

OK, I'll bite.

WWE - like wrestling - is cyclical. Hardcore wrestling is one of those cycles in wrestling that pops up every now and then. Big history, but modernly - since that is where we're at - late 80's, and then it died off, and came back in the 90's. It'll come back again when the time is right, and more fans will believe it is the first time that the stuff they're seeing has ever happened. Like most of the fans who saw hardcore wrestling in the 90's did.

Sabu is working indies, and doesn't even belong doing that. The guy is a real arrogant asshole, and possesses no talent whatsoever. The only person he's ever pushed is himself - because in order to make up for his lack of ability in the wrestling AND talking departments, he had to kill himself in the ring. Jack is another guy right along those same lines, and would give it up, but he can not pay his numerous bills, nor stay out of jail. Sandman is just...forget it.

Steve Austin is a great, and often underrated, talent. Super wrestler, great character, and one of the best talkers ever in the biz. Him I won't knock. Dan Severn is long past his prime, but when he was on he was good. Never great in the promo department, but was a fine fighter and athlete, and I respect him for that. Tank Abbott was never anywhere near being a good wrestler, and really is overrated as a fighter.

thehook
03-19-2005, 07:51 PM
WOW way to know em. Sabu is one of the most talented motherfuckers I've seen in the ring. I mean sure you can run around and pick people up and act like in some lame stupid drawn out soap. But no one takes chances like Sabu anymore comparatively no good high flyers anymore.

When was the last time someone used a table or chair or something cool in a match on TV?

New Jack is bad? Well then lots of others seem to suck as they have copied his style. Even copied the way he dressed, his music, the weapons he used. The list goes on.

If tank is so bad go back and watch some old UFC friend, watch him destroy martial artists in minutes who have studied their whole lives to get where they were when tank showed them what for. After your done doing that go find him and tell him he is a over rated fighter. See what he does, I bet you would woop his ass.

Sandman...look at austin see any similarities? It's like led zepplin someone does something one way, then later on someone else does the same thing and takes credit for it.

What about Terry Funk, you hate him too? Where is he?

The Fugitive
03-19-2005, 09:40 PM
I can't speak for any of these wrestler's attitudes, that's Kayfabe's department. I will touch from a wrestling prospective.

Nobody takes chance like Sabu because they don't want to be paralyzed. Sabu doesn't have talent. While he is entertaining, any fucking moron can do moonsaults through a table, take a look at the backyard wrestling circuit, you'll see a lot of wrestler wannabes intimidating his style and crippling themselves in the process. If you think he's talented because he's not in a wheelchair yet, give him time, he's alreadly injured his back, won't be much longer.

I'm surprised people are still hiring New Jack to do shows, hell, if the rumours are true, I'm very surprised that WWE has hired New Jack, considering his style consises of hitting the ring with a wheely bin full of household objects with shitty music blasting through his appearence, doing stupid little dances while he hits his opponents with toasters, shovels, frying pans, and other household crap. That's not entertainment. That's a goddamn sideshow. As for your comment of him 'inspirating others', the only people that he has inspired is the same morons in backyard feds that throw themselves through burning-barbwire-broken-glass-and-thumbtacked covered tables and think they are wrestlers.

Sandman... perhaps he inspired Austin to be the beer-drinking SOB you saw on WWE, I don't know.

Tank is bad, face it, look at his win record, 8-10. The last four of his matches, he was destroyed by these martial artists. The guy's wasted up. And don't say something stupid like 'I bet he would woop our ass', that makes you look like a right idiot, considering some of us don't have any marital arts or street fighting experience.

As for Funker, sure, he has been in some crazy hardcore matches, most notably, his match with Cactus Jack in Kawasaki Stadium, but he has been in the business for over 40 years, he is a NWA legend, and he has given and given and given to making people stars in this business. Others would cling onto their spot and refuse to make stars but Terry knew his time is up, and he knew that he had to move aside and make tomorrow's stars, which he did with no problems. Kayfabe could expand on the legacy of the Funker.

Don't ever compare Funker to the likes of Sabu or New Jack, you'll just make yourself look like more of a twat, if that is possible.

Loose Cannon
03-19-2005, 09:42 PM
LOL, one of these guys who thinks getting hit by cheese graters and falling through tables is wrestling. haha.

Hardore shit like that does nothing but cause injuries buddy. You and about 100 other people might love to see people bleed and get seriously hurt, but 99.9% of wrestling fans don't give a flying fuck for that shit anymore. DOESN'T SELL TO A MASS AUDIENCE AND NEVER WILL.

WWE is smart to not do stuff like that so often because when it does happen, it means "more." If you do it over and over and over and over again, it loses value. Make it a pivital part of the match for somebody to go through a table, don't do it all the time.

DaveWadding
03-19-2005, 10:25 PM
Kayfabe could expand on the legacy of the Funker.

KayfabeMan could expand on the legacy of Barry Horowitz if you REALLY wanted him to.

Mr. JL
03-19-2005, 10:40 PM
Well, being a BIG ECW fan back in the day, I can STILL proudly say I enjoyed watching guys like Sabu, New Jack, and the Sandman. That was then, and this is now. It is 2005, not 1996. They already influenced a change in the business. Hence, the Attitude Era. It is time to move on.

What the hell did Tank Abbott ever do for wrestling? He punched a few people, and danced with 3 Count.

Dan Severn is still the NWA World Heavyweight Champion in my books.

The Fugitive
03-20-2005, 02:05 AM
KayfabeMan could expand on the legacy of Barry Horowitz if you REALLY wanted him to.
Touché.

thehook
03-20-2005, 02:38 AM
don't be tellin me what to say friend. I aint buying into facism son. I belive that people going out of their way to make a good show and entertain people rule until hell freezes over. However I don't understand how folks like yourself can sit and watch 20 minute talk segments about how i'm the man but I hurt so bad inside oh please feel sorry me blah blah blah. It's crap most the WWE shit now is talking and not wrestling and how many times can you do a drop kick or a suplex before that fucking gets old. Again though don't tell me what to say you son of a bitch I am not telling you a damn thing. I bet your bottom dollar that Tank would beat the living fuck out of everyone of thepeople on here. Barry was a fucking loser ;). Eat shit and die motherfucker...you gotta have respect for real folks.

KayfabeMan
03-20-2005, 03:38 AM
If anyone who is in charge of moderating the forum cares, consider KM's request for a banning on someone obviously here to be an ass. Then again, he has contributed good comments from 1980's action / sci-fi films like "eat shit and die motherfucker".

Anyhow, even though I shouldn't, I will further respond - just to prove a point here.

To put Terry Funk in the same group with Sandman, Sabu or New Jack just proves to everyone what a big-time mark you are. You obviously lack knowledge of Terry's past, when he would actually wrestle. Put any of your 'hardcore-icons' in the ring with Funk and ask them to wrestle, and even at his age and with his health problems he'd break them in very nicely.

Terry did what was asked of him, and played to the then popular style of "hardcore" to make a living. Like I said, Terry wrestled - and again as I said above - when the cycle of hardcore first came around, he sure did do that too; with Dusty, and lots of others. Then he went back to wrestling - and as I said - when hardcore came back around in the 90's, he did it again. Good on Terry. He made a living as a WRESTLER and a REAL PERFORMER; not as a one hit wonder, whose ability begins and ends with using a chair or other weapon to get heat.

As far as the Tank comment goes, that's pure gold. You don't know me, who I am, or anything at all about me, and yet you make a 'matter of fact' statement that Abbott could drop me. To that I laugh, and say that fighting Tank at this stage in his career / life would be like defeating Lou Thesz in a grappling match before he passed away. It isn't his time anymore and he's done with. Pro-wrestling wise, he offered nothing at all and could never handle the transition into the business the way a guy like Severn did.

Your argument in your very last post makes no sense at all. "How many times can you watch a dropkick or a suplex before it gets old?". HA. How many times can you watch some douchebag hit someone with a trashcan or a chair or a guitar, or staple someone in the forehead before that gets old? I witnessed ECW kill alot of their own heat at a show when they used 1+ table in EVERY MATCH ON THE CARD, minus the main event. It doesn't matter how many ways you can put someone through a table, it gets old.

Rep for the good posts by Fugitive, LC, and JL :y: and :lol: at Dave's post.

thehook
03-20-2005, 03:44 AM
I just don't feel like being attacked for my beliefs on things. The attacks started and I got defensive. Plain and simple no need for this banning crap. You smack a man in the face and he won't just sit there and say nothing about it plain and simple.

As far as my argument goes you played into it pretty well. As in the eyes of anyone that can read and comprehend thought a "chair shot" or a "suplex" is all one in the same. A physical act towards another. So if my argument against suplexs and dropkicks makes no sense nor does anyone chastisizing chair shots or tables. It is the same principle. Thanks for your thoughts.

KayfabeMan
03-20-2005, 05:58 AM
As far as my argument goes you played into it pretty well. As in the eyes of anyone that can read and comprehend thought a "chair shot" or a "suplex" is all one in the same. A physical act towards another.

Kicking someone in the nuts is also a physical act, but doing it over and over again gets boring - and in reality, serves no purpose. A wrestler's motivation for going out there is to (here's a really complex idea) - WRESTLE. What you refer to as "something cool" is a gimmick that is supposed to be used to get something that you wouldn't understand - HEAT.

When you are out there with a baseball bat, staple gun, etc. - what are you proving??? Crap matches like that leave no room for 'no DQ' matches, 'street fights', 'TLC' matches or anything of that nature. If Sabu is coming out every week and doing a table spot, and using chairs, and jumping off balconies - it makes it quite impossible for anyone to have gimmcik matches that make any kind of sense, or serve a purpose - when every match he is in is gimmicked.

New Jack staples someone in nearly every match he is in, and then procedes to jump off of the highest spot he can find. Kinda makes it pointless to have TLC matches, or hardcore / no dq bouts - when this guy does it every week.

When you can only work matches that involve gimmicks, overall, you are one useless guy. Terry Funk could wrestle against Tully Blanchard, and then turn right around and do a barbed wire match with Sabu. Sabu on the other hand would want to put Blanchard through a table, or do 15 highspots in a row.

Boondock Saint
03-20-2005, 07:01 AM
don't be tellin me what to say friend. I aint buying into facism son. I belive that people going out of their way to make a good show and entertain people rule until hell freezes over. However I don't understand how folks like yourself can sit and watch 20 minute talk segments about how i'm the man but I hurt so bad inside oh please feel sorry me blah blah blah. It's crap most the WWE shit now is talking and not wrestling and how many times can you do a drop kick or a suplex before that fucking gets old. Again though don't tell me what to say you son of a bitch I am not telling you a damn thing. I bet your bottom dollar that Tank would beat the living fuck out of everyone of thepeople on here. Barry was a fucking loser ;). Eat shit and die motherfucker...you gotta have respect for real folks.

ROFL

Hitman84
03-21-2005, 10:59 AM
Eat shit and die motherfucker...you gotta have respect for real folks.

I'm all for people having an opinion, but there has to be a limit to what is acceptable. You obviously have very little respect for the other users of this forum otherwise you wouldn't be throwing insults around just because people don't share your opinions. Can we kinda just like get back to discussing wrestling? That's why we're all here isn't it?

'Nuff said - rant over.

Disturbed316
03-21-2005, 11:23 AM
Oh dear god.

Fignuts
03-21-2005, 03:21 PM
I just don't feel like being attacked for my beliefs on things.

Who the hell attacked you? They just disagreed with you, and offered valid reasons why.

KayfabeMan
03-21-2005, 06:05 PM
Who the hell attacked you? They just disagreed with you, and offered valid reasons why.

Tornado
03-22-2005, 02:39 PM
KayfabeMan proves once again why he is the man.