PDA

View Full Version : The Office (US version)..

Kris P Lettus
03-24-2005, 11:25 PM
It came on for the first time tonight..

Pretty f'n funny..

Different than most shit on tv.. No laugh track and the humor is more based on awkward silences than "punchlines"..

If anyone saw it, when Steve Carrell told the girl she was fired to "punk" her and she started crying..

LMFAO

:heart: Steve Carrell

Gone Mad
03-24-2005, 11:43 PM
I agree. That "X, Punk'd " portion was just pure gold.

Steve Carell is just too funny and I thought he was great in Anchorman, even though I don't know anyone that really liked 'Anchorman'.

BTW, I couldn't help but think of those Burger King commercials while watching the show.

Ogen
03-24-2005, 11:53 PM
Yeah posted the pilot of it which was the first ep up here a few months back. Its ok, its not as good as the English version though the characters are just wrong after seeing them in that. Was the English version broadcast over ther?

Boondock Saint
03-24-2005, 11:55 PM
It was OK, still can't help comparing it to the UK version, but since this was essentially a word for word remake I accepted that. I thought they pulled it off well enough.

The rest of the episodes are entirely original so this is where I'm hoping it really shows some potential.

Kris P Lettus
03-24-2005, 11:59 PM
They did not show the UK version.. So, it being new to me, I :heart:ed it..

p.s. Anchorman rules..

:mad:

I watched it for like the 20th time last night (b/c Streve Carell was on Conan)..

:$

Mr. Monday Morning
03-25-2005, 06:31 AM
They did not show the UK version.. So, it being new to me, I :heart:ed it..

p.s. Anchorman rules..

:mad:

I watched it for like the 20th time last night (b/c Streve Carell was on Conan)..

:$

It was screened on BBC America, dunno if it still is though.

packt up
03-25-2005, 06:35 AM
Anything following the original was going to struggle but apparently they didn't totally massacre it which is what I was expecting :y:

Shaggy
03-25-2005, 09:47 AM
the next episode looks really funny....

the whole Ex-Punked thing was posibly the funniest thing I saw all day long...and the jello thing was also great. Wasnt really expecting the whole Jello thing.

TheNamelessOne
03-25-2005, 12:03 PM
Aside from the fact that the woman who plays Pam/Dawn is a lot hotter than Lucy Davis, I thought the remake was just a huge pile of shit.

Kris P Lettus
03-25-2005, 02:19 PM
It was screened on BBC America, dunno if it still is though.

I don't get BBC America down here..

:-\

Tornado
03-27-2005, 05:30 PM
It's good if you havn't seen the UK version.

If you have seen the UK version, it's dire in comparison.

Ricky Gervais > Steve Carrell

UK cast of The Office > USA cast of The Office

deathtrap
03-30-2005, 10:40 AM
The Office just isn't the Office without Big Keith.

RoXer
03-30-2005, 05:57 PM
Last nights was pretty hilarious though.

Bad Company
03-30-2005, 06:06 PM
Oh man it's just so shitty.

I hate it when any other country gets a great Idea and then the Americans try and copy it, only to fuck it up... But their citizens think it's the funniest and most original shit alive.

RoXer
03-30-2005, 06:15 PM
It wasn't great, but it was pretty good.

Do you non-Americans get Arrested Development?

deathtrap
03-31-2005, 03:38 AM
Yes.

Kris P Lettus
04-06-2005, 02:08 PM
Oh man it's just so shitty.

I hate it when any other country gets a great Idea and then the Americans try and copy it, only to fuck it up... But their citizens think it's the funniest and most original shit alive.

I don't think it's original..

It is hilarious though..

"Anal Fizzles"

lmfao

Lamuella
04-06-2005, 04:36 PM
anyone who thought that the US version was even somewhat funny needs to buy the UK version. You can get the first and second series on DVD for like $30 from Amazon.

Boondock Saint
04-06-2005, 04:38 PM
I love the BBC version, but I must say, this version is certainly growing on me. I've found myself laughing more and more each episode. I still keep running the original in my mind and comparing it as I'm watching but hopefully that won't happen as much as time goes on.

One of my main gripes is that it feels way too acted, when it is supposed to be a mockumentary of sorts. The actors in the original actually came off as though they were real people. This one it just feels like they're actors and it's being shot in a documentary style.

Kris P Lettus
04-06-2005, 04:45 PM
anyone who thought that the US version was even somewhat funny needs to buy the UK version. You can get the first and second series on DVD for like $30 from Amazon.

I plan on it..

But, having never seen the original, this one is f'n hysterical..

Lamuella
04-06-2005, 04:50 PM
I love the BBC version, but I must say, this version is certainly growing on me. I've found myself laughing more and more each episode. I still keep running the original in my mind and comparing it as I'm watching but hopefully that won't happen as much as time goes on.

One of my main gripes is that it feels way too acted, when it is supposed to be a mockumentary of sorts. The actors in the original actually came off as though they were real people. This one it just feels like they're actors and it's being shot in a documentary style.

True, especially of Ricky Gervais and Mackenzie Crook. Also true of Lucy Davies and Martin Freeman.

I'm glad they've kept the feel of it in terms of the camera work though. The cameras move like this is a documentary.

PapaGeorgio
04-06-2005, 05:16 PM
I agree with what many of you are saying. It's better then I thought it would be but when I watch it I just can't help but think of the original version.

Gertner
04-13-2005, 05:03 PM
lol watched it last night. pretty funny.

"you're so old when you walked into an antique store, they kept you"

Supreme Olajuwon
04-13-2005, 05:26 PM
I've never seen the UK version but this has to be one of the funniest shows on tv. Plus it's on right after Scrubs which is the best show ever.

Hitman84
04-14-2005, 04:33 AM
Being English, I have never seen the US version. Not sure if we're going to get it over here. Kinda hoping we do, as it'd be very interesting to see how the Americans interpret the British humour and also to see the American equivalents to the British pop-cultural references. Anyway, click this link. The Office (UK) series 1 and 2 plus feature length Christmas specials boxset.

http://www.playusa.com/playusa.asp?page=title&r=R1&title=266097

US $58.49 or CDN $71.99

Ogen
04-14-2005, 08:09 AM
Hitman I posted the pilot episode of the American one in here a few months back do a search in this forum for topics by me and you should find it.

Hitman84
04-14-2005, 09:05 AM
Ogen all that came up was a window full of flashing question marks.

deathtrap
06-16-2005, 04:44 PM
I saw the first episode last night.

The guy who played the equivalent to David Brent was poor....he didn't have the subtlety.

Mr. Nerfect
06-23-2005, 06:46 AM
This show just premiered on Channel Ten down here. Holy shit this show is gold. That show really hit home with me, because that was an exaggerated version of how my dad acts at work (he's not racist though).

That jello bit was priceless. I've got to get my hands on the UK version on DVD.