PDA

View Full Version : TNA close to signing with Spike

GODSON
03-29-2005, 12:14 PM
Here is the whole thing from PWInsider.com
Jeff Jarrett is in New York City right now and sources close to the situation have told us that he is meeting with Viacom executives. One source has told us that Jarrett is meeting with Viacom about getting TNA a clearance on Spike TV, possibly on Monday night to replace WWE programming when it leaves the network in September. Jarrett's being in New York has been anything but a secret, and at least some people close to the situation feel that Viacom wants WWE to know that they are meeting with Jarrett since there are hard feelings between the companies given the way their negotiations recently broke off. It will be interesting to see what happens here because if TNA is able to secure a slot on Spike, especially on Monday nights, it could completely change the landscape of the business. On a related note, there is still no new cable deal for WWE to announce at this time.

Team Sheep
03-29-2005, 12:28 PM
Spike said they are getting rid of RAW from their channel because it doesn't suit they're new style of programming, and now they're on the merge of giving TNA a deal? Pretty hypocritical I'd say.

Kane Knight
03-29-2005, 12:32 PM
Spike said they are getting rid of RAW from their channel because it doesn't suit they're new style of programming, and now they're on the merge of giving TNA a deal? Pretty hypocritical I'd say.
Dude, have you seen their new programming lineup? Shat happens (Invasion Iowa's the title). Except for CSI, their lineup is total shit. TNA DOES fit in with their programming.

PullMyFinger
03-29-2005, 12:36 PM
Good! I hope they do sign with Spike, that will indeed change Monday Nights for once. I believe with this, Jarret will probably take business more seriously. Regardless, even if they're really shitty and grabbing a 1.0 rating, it'd still be better than the other shit Spike would scoop out.

WWE asked for a lot of money with Spike....I'm sure TNA's asking price is a fraction of that.

Team Sheep
03-29-2005, 12:37 PM
Dude, have you seen their new programming lineup? Shat happens (Invasion Iowa's the title). Except for CSI, their lineup is total shit. TNA DOES fit in with their programming.

Good point. Seeing as I live in the UK I don't really know much about Spike TV so I can't really give an opinion. I'm just saying things from what I've heard from other resources. My bad.

Kane Knight
03-29-2005, 12:38 PM
TNA will work for peanuts if they can get a good slot I'd wager.

Come on, 3 PM? I could get better ratings wiping my ass on Primetime.

GODSON
03-29-2005, 12:42 PM
I will watch TNA over WWE right now and am a huge WWE mark. If TNA can get two hours a week, they will show the world how great the fed use to be during Weekly ppv's era. It really doesn't matter what timeslot, if Spike can only offer them Monday nights, would you say no?

I really wish this deal can go through. It will help the business. TNA will not win the ratings war but I really could care less about ratings now.

WRESTLING NEEDS THIS MORE THAN ANYTHING.

Jaton
03-29-2005, 12:43 PM
They're nowhere near ready to go head-to-head with Raw right now.

Innovator
03-29-2005, 12:45 PM
If they take RAW's slot, this could get interesting

PullMyFinger
03-29-2005, 12:49 PM
If they take RAW's slot, this could get interesting
Bingo! Of course they won't win the ratings, even if they do, you have to give it at least 2 years.

GODSON
03-29-2005, 12:55 PM

WCW problem was that they care about ratings too damn much. TNA need to learn from WCW and don't worry about beating WWE in the ratings.THey can't beat WWE ratings but primetime on any night is good. Maybe Raw timeslot not a great time but it's better than 4pm on Fridays. I will probably watch TNA more because their shows is usually fast paced. While HHH/Batista give you 20 minute interviews, TNA can be giving you some nice X division action or tag team action.

PullMyFinger
03-29-2005, 01:04 PM
If they get Monday Nights, I sure hope by then AJ Styles is Champ.

Ruien
03-29-2005, 01:16 PM
Opening night Jarret will be champ.

Hardkore Kidd J
03-29-2005, 01:22 PM
If they get Monday Nights, I sure hope by then <s>AJ Styles</s>Raven is Champ.

KingofOldSchool
03-29-2005, 01:31 PM
Raven is probably one of the most overrated wrestlers, EVER.

Sure he is good at promos, but he's rather bland in the ring.

Thriller
03-29-2005, 01:40 PM

Sure he is good at promos, but he's rather bland in the ring.Watch his matches against Benoit and Saturn from WCW and say that.

Shaggy
03-29-2005, 01:46 PM
As much as I would love to say that TNA being 2 hours every week would be great it brings the fear that TNA might not be as good with the high flying wrestling. If they get moved to a 2 hour time slot then i sorta have a fear that they will have to tone it down for the tv shows. Hopefully that doesnt happen.

I hope TNA gets the deal because I never remember to watch it on Fridays...I usually have to set my VCR to record the second showing of it. It would be nice to have TNA go up against WWE on Mondays because then we might finally get some good tv once again with the Monday Night Wars going at it once again.

Kane Knight
03-29-2005, 01:58 PM
They don't need to win against Raw. If Spike wants ratings in that slot, it'll still do good business in that time slot, whether it goes head to head with Raw or not.

I mean, TNA is doing pretty good on FSN with a shit time slot. Imagine putting it in primetime?

Though hopefully they put it on Tuseday or something. Ednesday, because it'd be better for them NOT to be on the same schedule as Raw.

PullMyFinger
03-29-2005, 02:03 PM
Anyone have a site that shows TNA's ratings??? I wonder what they do.

KingofOldSchool
03-29-2005, 03:34 PM
Watch his matches against Benoit and Saturn from WCW and say that.

Those matches against Benoit were above average at best and Benoit carried him through that.

And his matches with Saturn were average at best.

His in ring performace peeked when he was in WCW as Scotty Flamingo and he was wrestling the likes of Brian Pillman and Jushin Liger.

KingofOldSchool
03-29-2005, 03:36 PM
Oh and...

A drugged up Jake Roberts > a drugged up Raven

Savio
03-29-2005, 03:38 PM
If they do sign they should go from 8 to 9 unless they go for 2 hours which I would push it back to 7 then. After a year or possibly less I'd have a show go from 8-10

GODSON
03-29-2005, 03:43 PM
Anyone have a site that shows TNA's ratings??? I wonder what they do.

Gerweck.net, they average around 0.24 so far this year. Pretty good for a poor timeslot.

Here's an update about the TNA/Spiketv discussions from Dave Scherer hotline, PLEASE give full credit to Dave Scherer. If you're a PWInsider Elite member you can go listen to the hotline.

Mr. Scherer is hearing that the plan as of now between TNA and Spike is that it'll be a 1 hour timeslot from either 9pm to 10pm or 10pm to 11pm ET. UFC will follow TNA's show no matter what timeslot they'll have. TNA could get a 2 hour timeslot, but the plan/discussion between the two is a 1 hour timeslot on Monday Night.

Spike will most likely pay for the timeslot.

It's better than 4pm on FSN. Plus, Spike allows overrun.

The sad thing about this is that ECW was popular and only manage to get a Friday night timeslot without promotion. That really shows you Heyman was a bad business man and should of sold ECW.

BigDaddyCool
03-29-2005, 03:48 PM
Hey, if TNA gets a better time slut...slot than they have, and if it isn't during WWE or anything else I rather watch, I may stop there and get pissed off at A.J. "I Suck on Other Men's Wieners and Enjoy It" Styles.

The Mackem
03-29-2005, 03:53 PM
TNA will work for peanuts if they can get a good slot I'd wager.

Come on, 3 PM? I could get better ratings wiping my ass on Primetime.
Tonight on Impact, Kane Knight vs Elix "Primetime" Skipper in a "wipe your arse" grudge match.

Is Russo still booking at TNA? :shifty:

PullMyFinger
03-29-2005, 05:09 PM
1 hour?! That's ridiculous, they'll do so poorly with that. I'd have 2 hrs from 8-10. Reason being is that people will turn away if it's just Rhodes creating matches like he already does with the one hour slot.

PullMyFinger
03-29-2005, 05:10 PM
Gerweck.net, they average around 0.24 so far this year. Pretty good for a poor timeslot.

Here's an update about the TNA/Spiketv discussions from Dave Scherer hotline, PLEASE give full credit to Dave Scherer. If you're a PWInsider Elite member you can go listen to the hotline.

Mr. Scherer is hearing that the plan as of now between TNA and Spike is that it'll be a 1 hour timeslot from either 9pm to 10pm or 10pm to 11pm ET. UFC will follow TNA's show no matter what timeslot they'll have. TNA could get a 2 hour timeslot, but the plan/discussion between the two is a 1 hour timeslot on Monday Night.

Spike will most likely pay for the timeslot.

It's better than 4pm on FSN. Plus, Spike allows overrun.

The sad thing about this is that ECW was popular and only manage to get a Friday night timeslot without promotion. That really shows you Heyman was a bad business man and should of sold ECW.
I know. I normally catch it on Saturday..and only the second half of it.

Kane Knight
03-29-2005, 06:42 PM
LOLTonight on Impact, Kane Knight vs Elix "Primetime" Skipper in a "wipe your arse" grudge match.

Is Russo still booking at TNA? :shifty:
Apparently, because shortly after you posted that one, I got a phone call...

Kane Knight
03-29-2005, 06:43 PM
1 hour?! That's ridiculous, they'll do so poorly with that. I'd have 2 hrs from 8-10. Reason being is that people will turn away if it's just Rhodes creating matches like he already does with the one hour slot.
Yeah, but if you double it up, you end up with twice the bad booking.

James Steele
03-29-2005, 06:45 PM
TNA & Spike TV are ignorant asses if they think TNA could pull anything near WWE. Hell, TNA is stupid for thinking they can go up against WWE. I say give them a Tuesday or Wednsday primetime slot. That way they don't have any major competition and it will be able to let TNA grow. However, if this deal gets done TNA better improve a shitload otherwise instead of forgetting TNA on 4 PM on Fridays, I'll be forgetting about TNA in a prime time slot. PUSH CHRISTOPHER DANIELS YOU STUPID FUCKERS.

JT
03-29-2005, 07:51 PM
TNA & Spike TV are ignorant asses if they think TNA could pull anything near WWE. Hell, TNA is stupid for thinking they can go up against WWE. I say give them a Tuesday or Wednsday primetime slot. That way they don't have any major competition and it will be able to let TNA grow. However, if this deal gets done TNA better improve a shitload otherwise instead of forgetting TNA on 4 PM on Fridays, I'll be forgetting about TNA in a prime time slot. PUSH CHRISTOPHER DANIELS YOU STUPID FUCKERS.

Ummmm...Christopher Daniels is the current X-Division Champion, and defeated AJ Styles for the belt. What are you bitching about? :wtf:

James Steele
03-29-2005, 08:07 PM
PUSH HIM TO THE MAIN EVENT.

The X-Division is nothing more than a glorifed midcard.

Kane Knight
03-29-2005, 08:14 PM
X-Division's the only card that matter.s The main event is Loser vs Jarrett and Nash vs someone...

PullMyFinger
03-29-2005, 08:31 PM
X-Division's the only card that matter.s The main event is Loser vs Jarrett and Nash vs someone...

Corkscrewed
03-29-2005, 09:27 PM
So they're alloting TNA HHH's usual speaking time. That's pretty nice of them.

Kane Knight
03-29-2005, 09:51 PM
So they're alloting TNA HHH's usual speaking time. That's pretty nice of them.
Still a lot of time.

Any report on whether this is instead of or in aaddition to Impact?

Apocolyptik1
03-30-2005, 12:42 AM
The only reason I think would be good if they got a 8-10 timeslot on Monday night is that everyone in the WWE would actually try harder to keep their fans interested instead of putting out garbage all the time. Other then that, I wouldnt try competing some time, same day.

Gouda
03-30-2005, 12:48 AM
In my opinion they shouldn't be on the same day. I think a live show on Wednesday would be a good.

Then they can give out Smackdown spoilers on the air. :shifty:

PullMyFinger
03-30-2005, 12:49 AM
That's why I want TNA on Monday Nights. Right now WWE puts shit on without a single care...if some competition came, at least they'd say "shit, we can't let them channel surf and watch that program...we have to keep them glued."

Kane Knight
03-30-2005, 01:00 AM
That's why I want TNA on Monday Nights. Right now WWE puts shit on without a single care...if some competition came, at least they'd say "shit, we can't let them channel surf and watch that program...we have to keep them glued."
Good for us...Short term. Bad for us...Long term. Bad for them...Period.

PullMyFinger
03-30-2005, 01:48 AM
Good for us...Short term. Bad for us...Long term. Bad for them...Period.
Even short term benefit is better than no benefit!!!!!! LOL I know I sound really selfish...but oh well. I'm just sick of WWE shoving Triple H down my throat week after week...if TNA were on the corner, I'm sure WWE would think twice.

Kane Knight
03-30-2005, 01:51 AM
Even short term benefit is better than no benefit!!!!!! LOL I know I sound really selfish...but oh well. I'm just sick of WWE shoving Triple H down my throat week after week...if TNA were on the corner, I'm sure WWE would think twice.
I don't think much would change.

TNA isn't established enough to be a big threat. Any benefit would be small, short term, and weak.

I'd rather see them on another night of the week, so they might stand a chance at actually surviving the rest of the year.

KingofOldSchool
03-30-2005, 01:54 AM
Triple H hogging up airtime > Jeff Jarrett hogging up airtime

Kane Knight
03-30-2005, 07:56 AM
Triple H hogging up airtime > Jeff Jarrett hogging up airtime
I...

I can't say it.

It's too painful...

...Errr...Uhhh...

I have to agree.

Kane Knight
03-30-2005, 07:56 AM
HEY! LOOK OVER THERE!

SuperSlim
03-30-2005, 08:03 AM
yeah if I had to choose tween HHH or Jarrett hoggin my TV I would pick the Cerebral Assassian, The Game, the 10 time World Champ, the former IC Champ, former European Champ, headliner of WrestleMania since WrestleMania 2000

HHH

Kane Knight
03-30-2005, 08:25 AM
IT BURNS OH GOD IT FUCKING BURNS!!!!!!!

blake639raw
03-30-2005, 10:12 AM

Sure he is good at promos, but he's rather bland in the ring.
Uhh, JBL?

Yeah, sure, Raven isn't the best in the ring, but he can cut promos that put asses in seats, if allowed. His heel psychology is great, and he is just alot better than Jarrett all around.

Innovator
03-30-2005, 10:21 AM
On his secrets of the ring DVD, Raven said he carries around a small notebook and a pen everywhere he goes. When he thinks of something he writes it down. That way when TNA needs him to cut a 30 second promo, he can build one from something he wrote.

Lamuella
03-30-2005, 10:27 AM
and here's me thinking this was a thread about a Dudley jumping ship.

KingofOldSchool
03-30-2005, 11:30 AM
Uhh, JBL?

Yeah, sure, Raven isn't the best in the ring, but he can cut promos that put asses in seats, if allowed. His heel psychology is great, and he is just alot better than Jarrett all around.

Yeah see the problem with that is...JBL hasn't been getting verbal blowjobs from the internet marks for years, there for he can't be overrated,

Kane Knight
03-30-2005, 04:57 PM
Uhh, JBL?

How the fuck can JBL be over rated?