PDA

View Full Version : The Death of WCW

PureHatred
04-01-2005, 04:12 AM
I got the book (by RD reynolds and Bryan Alvarez)in the mail yesterday and snce work was a aching maw of doom today, I read the whole damn thing.

It's a great read and breaks down, almost on a week to week basis, exactly what was happening that took the WCW from a company that was losing money yearly to the most profitable wrestling company in the world with all the biggest names [this was actually something I'd forgotten. Just how incredible this roster was. Before Rock and SCSA really hit big, WCW featured Flair, Hogan, Savage, Luger, Sting, Nash, Hall, the Giant, the Steiners, and had a midcard with guys like Eddie, Benoit, Jericho, Rey, Malenko, etc...wow.] and how that rather quickly turned into a company that lost $62 million in one fiscal year.

It came down pretty harshly on Bischoff, Hogan, Nash, and Russo. I think the writers let Bill Watts, Kevin Sullivan, Terry Taylor and the other bookers and road agents off the hook a little. I think Flair was let off clean, as there was no mention of some of the things he did that pissed of the bookers or of the politics he played that made so many people hate him enough to have vendettas towards him years after the fact.

And I would've like to have read a little more about what exactly it was the WWE was doing right that tunred their prduct around while the WCW flundered. Because no matter how bad the product is, nobody turns the channel if there's no alternative or the alternative isn't better.

Look at wrestling today as a prime example of that.

But still, minor points in what is otherwise a great read for anyone who was ever a fan of the NWA/WCW.

Disturbed316
04-01-2005, 08:41 AM
http://tpww.net/forums/showthread.php?t=16899

Shaggy
04-01-2005, 10:57 AM
Its my next book......I just got done reading Edge's biography and then I picked up Are We There Yet?....so when im done with that Im gonna pick this up.

TerranRich
04-01-2005, 03:59 PM
That, and the WrestleCrap book are the best wrestling books ever, followed by Mick Foley's books, and Kurt Angle's.

At least those are the only wrestling books I own. :p

YOUR Hero
04-01-2005, 08:17 PM
:heart:

PureHatred.

I don't see how a booker can be blamed very much when the wrestlers have been pulling the stings with their politics for god knows how long.