PDA

View Full Version : Happy Cam Neely Day!

weather vane
01-12-2004, 06:07 PM
Bruins to honour Cam Neely

Sports Ticker

1/12/2004

BOSTON (Ticker) - The Boston Bruins will honor Cam Neely Monday night as they host the Buffalo Sabres in a Northeast Division contest.

Neely's No. 8 jersey will be raised to the rafters at the FleetCenter, joining Eddie Shore, Lionel Hitchman, Bobby Orr, Aubrey 'Dit' Clapper, Phil Esposito, John Bucyk, Milt Schmidt, Terry O'Reilly and Ray Bourque as the only Bruins to have their numbers retired.

''No one wanted to be near him, he was so big and strong. If you got near him, you knew you were going to get hit,'' said former teammate Glen Murray to the Boston Globe. ''I was there when he scored 50 goals in 44 games (1993-94). He worked his butt off. He was injured and stuff, but when he practiced, there was no question about it. He could score. If he was still playing, he'd have as many goals as Brett Hull.''

Neely began his career in 1983 with Vancouver and spent three seasons there before being dealt to Boston, where he would finish his career. He tallied 395 goals and 299 assists in 726 career games to go along with 1241 penalty minutes. With Boston, he totaled 344 goals and 590 points in 525 games.

He recorded four 40-goal seasons and had found the back of the net a career-high 55 times in 1989-90. Neely, though, was plagued by injuries over his final four seasons and he retired following the 1995-96 campaign due to a chronic hip injury.

''I doubt very much you'll find another guy who'll pot you 50 a year, and fight the toughest guy in the league,'' former teammate Lyndon Byers told the Boston Herald. ''I'm sure every coach on the planet for the rest of eternity is going to be trying to build Cam Neelys. It's a big thrill to see No. 8 hit the rafters. It's cool and great for him. He deserves it.''

After retiring Neely's number, the Bruins hope to extend their winning streak to four games.

Boston improved to 4-0-1 in January and 3-0-1 in its last four home games with Saturday's 2-1 overtime win over the Detroit Red Wings. Captain Joe Thornton scored the game-winner 2 1/2 minutes into overtime and rookie goaltender Andrew Raycroft made 27 saves.

Raycroft has won his last three decisions following a personal seven-game (0-5-2) winless stretch. He has stopped 94 of 96 shots during his streak and could start again Monday as Boston tries to move within five points of first-place Toronto.

Buffalo is 5-2-3 in its last 10 following a seven-game losing streak from December 4-19. The Sabres have scored 29 goals during this stretch after managing 11 in their slide.

Buffalo stopped a three-game winless skid with Friday's 3-2 home win over Ottawa. The Sabres scored three power-play goals with defenseman Rory Fitzpatrick netting the game-winner late in the third period.

Monday is the first of six meetings between the teams, who play three times in January.

Boston is unbeaten in its last five home games (4-0-1) with the Sabres.

<font color=white>If there is anybody I miss more than Bourque it has to be Neely. If it wasn't for injuries he would be IMHO one of the best players ever.</font>

da_king
01-12-2004, 07:15 PM
<font color="#ccffcc">
yeah it's a real shame to be cut down in his prime like that and it still makes me sad that we let him go. nice to see them retire his number.

</font>

YOUR Hero
01-12-2004, 08:37 PM
True power forward.

Nice tribute by the Bruins, even though I'm not sure his numbers justify it. There was more to him than numbers though.

DaveWadding
01-12-2004, 10:01 PM
I have a piece of Cam Neely's flooring :naughty:

Supreme Olajuwon
01-12-2004, 10:04 PM
True power forward.

Nice tribute by the Bruins, even though I'm not sure his numbers justify it. There was more to him than numbers though.

still 50 goals in 44 games is amazing

Adder
01-13-2004, 11:12 AM
10 players have had their numbers retired by the Bruins now. That's more then anybody else. Marketing at it's finest.

weather vane
01-13-2004, 02:22 PM
10 players have had their numbers retired by the Bruins now. That's more then anybody else. Marketing at it's finest.
<font color=white>Do you think those 10 players numbers being retired is justified?</font>

YOUR Hero
01-13-2004, 08:14 PM
<font color=white>Do you think those 10 players numbers being retired is justified?</font>

Do you?

Me, I say no. Many of them aren't champions. IMO if you aren't a champion your number shouldn't be retired.

Boston seems to retire numbers in order to build sentimentality and help keep fans in the seats while they do nothing to make Cup runs.

weather vane
01-13-2004, 10:11 PM
Do you?

Me, I say no. Many of them aren't champions. IMO if you aren't a champion your number shouldn't be retired.

Boston seems to retire numbers in order to build sentimentality and help keep fans in the seats while they do nothing to make Cup runs.

<font color=white>I disagree. Although I do agree that the Bruins do nothing to make Cup runs.

IMO you don't have to be a champion to have your number retired. Not at all. Cam Neely deserved what he got. He is THE VERY best power forward ever in a lot of peoples minds. He is exactely what a NHL player should be. Sometimes it is not all about the numbers and you have to look past the stats.

Hitchman, Shore, Clapper, Schmidt, Bucyk, Orr, Esposito, O'Reilly, Bourque and Neely all deserve to have their numbers retired ... no question about it in my mind. These 10 men are etched in the minds of Bruin fans everywhere.

Although I see where you are coming from. What is going to happen in the future? Who do you see as the next number to be retired in the NHL or on some team?</font>

da_king
01-14-2004, 09:28 AM
<font color="#ccffcc">

i think it's possible for a player to do a lot for a franchise without winining a championshhip and thusly having the number retired. i look at the canucks and as an example there's stan smyl. he was never a superstar, won't make the hall of fame but with his work ethic, desire, and leadership gave a lot to the franchise and i don't think there's anyone out there who thinks he doesn't deserve it. trevor linden will probably fall under the same catagory and does a lot for the community which helps raise the profile of the team and i have no doubt his number will be up there someday chamipionship or no.

</font>

VonErich Lives
01-15-2004, 12:54 AM
Do you?

I agree on the Bruins not doing enough for cup runs, but that's a different story... (jacobs, running it as a business, profit magin, etc...)

I disagree, on needing to be a champion to be retired, although most if not all, won either a stanley cup or a confrence championship. (Bourque was on 2 teams that lost the cup, I think Neely was on 1, and Taz I think played on 1 and coached 1).

As for do they deserve... I dunno... I can't argue Borque or Neely... but I suppose if you went truley after stats, you might be able to argue Taz, or possible a few of the older players.

On a side note, the Celtics retired Luscotof, and he was basiclly the lambeer of his day, if someone was roughing around one of the players (Havlicheck, Cousy etc..) he'd go out and throw a forearm or such...

John la Rock
01-16-2004, 02:52 AM
Kick his ass C-Bass! :lol: