PDA

View Full Version : Natural Rivalries

BCWWF
04-06-2005, 11:58 PM
I was thinking about it, and since the AL is 14 teams and NL 16, there must be two NL teams without a natural rival? Who are they, and who am I missing?

Minnesota-Milwaukee
Chicago-Chicago
Kansas City-St. Louis
Cleveland-Cincinnatti
New York-New York
Baltimore-Philadelphia
Tampa Bay-Florida
Boston-Atlanta
Toronto-Washington D.C.
Anaheim-Los Angeles
Oakland-San Francisco
Texas-Houston

Detroit
Seattle
Philadelphia
Pittsburgh
Arizona
Colorado
San Diego

Does anybody know if they will change it to Washington D.C. and Baltimore now?

RoXer
04-07-2005, 12:31 AM
Arizona - SF/LAD/STL/NYY

RoXer
04-07-2005, 12:32 AM
Wait, define "natural".

BCWWF
04-07-2005, 12:51 AM
During MLB's interleague, each team has a "natural rival" from the other league that they play. Its based around location I think, but I guess there may be some random exceptions.

DaveBrawl
04-07-2005, 01:34 AM
Nobody is rivals with my poor Rockies because everyone stomps them. :'(

BCWWF
04-07-2005, 01:36 AM
So are the Rockies one of the teams that doesn't have a natural rival, or are you just saying that as a figure of speech?

SammyG
04-07-2005, 01:15 PM
I dont know, I think the Dodgers are more of a rival with the Giants then they are with the Angels, unless you are talkin bout geographical location, which would make the angels and dogers rivals

DaveBrawl
04-07-2005, 01:49 PM
I don't think they really have any rivals more than the normal division stuff. A couple of years ago I would of said maybe the San Diego Padres, but today I don't think they really have anyone. Mainly because they switch the people on the roster so much there is no real history to the team. I mean this year they have like 3 guys with over 2 full years MLB experience.

DaveBrawl
04-07-2005, 01:51 PM
Also it kind of seems like the owner of the O's is trying his hardest to start something with the Nationals since he feels part of his territory was taken away.

DaveBrawl
04-07-2005, 01:52 PM
So are the Rockies one of the teams that doesn't have a natural rival, or are you just saying that as a figure of speech?

I don't think they really have any rivals more than the normal division stuff. A couple of years ago I would of said maybe the San Diego Padres, but today I don't think they really have anyone. Mainly because they switch the people on the roster so much there is no real history to the team. I mean this year they have like 3 guys with over 2 full years MLB experience.

BCWWF
04-07-2005, 05:17 PM
ARE YOU GUYS NOT READING WHAT I AM SAYING?

I'm not talking about rivalries, im talking about the MLB Interleague Natural Rivalries, set up by the MLB...Every year an AL team will play the teams from a division in the NL, and then they have one more series against an NL team, their NATURAL RIVAL, who they play every year. I made a list of about 10 of them in the first post. I don't know how I can be any more clear what I am talking about.

Gertner
04-07-2005, 06:17 PM
JAys- Tigers dude.

DaveBrawl
04-07-2005, 06:33 PM
Oh well I guess Colorado would be either Texas or Seattle. They usually play them more than the other AL teams. But they play the White Sox like every other day in Spring Training.

BCWWF
04-07-2005, 07:31 PM
Yeah Colorado-Seattle would make sense I guess

And Gertner, is that new this year because I thought that the Canadian teams always played.

Rain Man
04-07-2005, 07:32 PM
Philadelphia-New York--- Giants and Eagles is actually the only big one the two cities have

El Capitano Gatisto
04-07-2005, 07:36 PM
Cobra vs. Mongoose

Gertner
04-07-2005, 07:44 PM
Yeah Colorado-Seattle would make sense I guess

And Gertner, is that new this year because I thought that the Canadian teams always played.

they do, but it's not as a big rivaliry as detroit-Toronto. As least there's some history about it.

BCWWF
04-07-2005, 07:52 PM
Lol, NO!! I wasn't thinking either...Detroit and Toronto ISN'T A "NATURAL RIVALRY" ITS AN AMERICAN LEAGUE RIVALRY!!!!!

DaveBrawl
04-07-2005, 09:02 PM
they do, but it's not as a big rivaliry as detroit-Toronto. As least there's some history about it.

Oh I know, but I thought he wanted a sort of interleague type rivalry deal, and while Seattle or Texas don't worry much about the Rockies it's the best they have.

Gertner
04-07-2005, 11:26 PM
how isn't it? Check every other sport.

Jesus Shuttlesworth
04-08-2005, 12:20 AM
Gertner he taking about the Natural Rivalries in Major League Baseball. American League vs National League..You play one natural rival every single year from the other league in 2 series, one home and one away. I think the other teams you play from the other league changes every year, and you don't play a home and home series with them. You only play one series with the other leagues teams - Unless of coures, it's your natural rival.

I really don't know any of the natural rivals though so I can't help you out on your list.

The Gooch
04-08-2005, 10:28 AM
It really sucks that my beloved Expos are now in Washington. Expos vs Blue Jays was great. It would make sense to now have a Washington vs Baltimore rivlary as they are so closely located. Not sure where that leaves the Blue Jays though in terms of interleague rivalry. It would have been nice if Buffalo would have made a pitch for the Expos as that would have been a natural with Toronto.

BCWWF
04-08-2005, 01:40 PM
Thank god people that actually read the topic

Gertner
04-08-2005, 05:22 PM
Gertner he taking about the Natural Rivalries in Major League Baseball. American League vs National League..You play one natural rival every single year from the other league in 2 series, one home and one away. I think the other teams you play from the other league changes every year, and you don't play a home and home series with them. You only play one series with the other leagues teams - Unless of coures, it's your natural rival.

I really don't know any of the natural rivals though so I can't help you out on your list.
ah my bad. i thought you ment rivalries in general.

RoXer
06-25-2005, 12:30 AM
Sorry to bump an old thread, but I head Thom Brennamen say that the D-Backs natural rival is Detroit.

:-/ I dunno