PDA

View Full Version : In some ways do you wish it was back in the attiude era

Just John
04-13-2005, 09:21 AM
Sometimes do you wish you were back in the days of wwf? I'm not talking about hulk hogan/jake the snake or anything but when it was the attitude era Edge and Christian was a good tag team, the Hardys were loved by many limp bizkit and creed were used for the themes for wrestlemanias and other great events The Undertaker rode a motorbike into the ring (I know he did this in wwe but it was better in wwf) kurt angle had hair big show had a ponytail and there was no alliance fueds. D-generation X was top of the house and Rebellion (UK PPV) actually meant something.

It was soo good when Grand-master sexay was in too cool and X-pac sucks chants would echo throughout the arena.....those were the days....

But I guess you can't go back :'(

Cruiserweight 3:16
04-13-2005, 09:47 AM
In some ways I wish it was, in other ways I don't. In my opinion I think the quality of matches on TV are better these days than they were back then, but the PPV's these days are, more often than not, much worse than back then.

What I do miss from the Attitude era was the quality PPV main events they had. I suppose I took it for granted that the main events were always to remain really good. These days it is so rare to watch a really good PPV main event.

Hitman84
04-13-2005, 11:15 AM
What I do miss from the Attitude era was the quality PPV main events they had. I suppose I took it for granted that the main events were always to remain really good. These days it is so rare to watch a really good PPV main event.

Royal Rumble 2000 - what a PPV! I too miss the Attitude era, but I miss the Hogan/Savage etc old school stuff too; also not forgetting the best year, in my eyes, in WWF history: 1996-1997. WMXII Iron Man match, the introduction of Austin 3:16, and then Owen 3:16 (rep for those who can remember what each of these were!) Bret Hart's return, Royal Rumble 1997, IYH Final Four, recreation of the Hart Foundation, Hell in a Cell. I don't believe I'm going to say this, but even Survivor Series 1997, excluding the screwjob match, was an enjoyable PPV. Kinda makes me wonder why wrestling is changing ...

Loose Cannon
04-13-2005, 11:21 AM
Austin 3:16- I just whooped your ass

Owen 3:16- I just broke your neck

Give the rep to the guy above you.

Hitman84
04-13-2005, 11:28 AM
Repped you both, Loose Cannon. Well remembered :y:

Rammsteinmad
04-13-2005, 11:33 AM
I think WWE is as bad as it is today because it doesn't have the "Attitude" uh... attitude.

Back then, things were controversial with Austin doing all kindsa crazy stuff. Sable doing her stuff. Triple H and DX and Shawn Michaels doing all kinds of things. These days the WWE do all kinds of things to avoid getting sued or in trouble. Hell, imagine how bad-ass it woulda been if the WWE had said "no" and kept the WWF name. Even if they did get sued. And now they're fussing about people like Muhammad Hassan doing that cut-throat thing coz it could offend people? Back in 1999, if it offended people, they woulda probably kept doing it.

I don't think the problem lies so much in poor wrestling or crappy angles, I think the WWE has just lost it's balls.

That would be my opinion anyhow.

Rammsteinmad
04-13-2005, 11:34 AM
However, I still enjoy watching WWE.

PullMyFinger
04-13-2005, 01:25 PM
I think WWE is as bad as it is today because it doesn't have the "Attitude" uh... attitude.

Back then, things were controversial with Austin doing all kindsa crazy stuff. Sable doing her stuff. Triple H and DX and Shawn Michaels doing all kinds of things. These days the WWE do all kinds of things to avoid getting sued or in trouble. Hell, imagine how bad-ass it woulda been if the WWE had said "no" and kept the WWF name. Even if they did get sued. And now they're fussing about people like Muhammad Hassan doing that cut-throat thing coz it could offend people? Back in 1999, if it offended people, they woulda probably kept doing it.

I don't think the problem lies so much in poor wrestling or crappy angles, I think the WWE has just lost it's balls.

That would be my opinion anyhow.
Yeah, you gotta have a big pair of balls, but you also have to make sure to not offend the viewer with things like cut-throat signs.

Kane Knight
04-13-2005, 01:55 PM
I wish we had that era's booking back, but with you know, the folks currently out there. I don't really want the Attitude era back.

As for the retard saying it'd be cool if Vince said "no" and kept the WWE under the WWF header, let's put it this way: The Wildlife Fund would be rich, the wrestling biz belly up (And likely the execs in jail).

Yeah, that would like totally RAWK! The demise of the product would totally be worth bad busiess for the sake of controversy!

While I think the WWE needs to stop being so pussified, there's brave, and then there's stupid.

Jacko
04-13-2005, 07:55 PM
Best period 98- late 99

PureHatred
04-13-2005, 08:01 PM
The thing I miss most about that era is that the WWF wasn't afraid to make new stars ( or maybe they had to because all their old stars signed with WCW..whatever) Bret put over HBK. HBK put over Austin. Austin put over The Rock. The Rock put over Mankind. Mick put over Trips....and we're still waiting.

That right there is the main problem with wrestling today. The WWE has had the same guy on top for so long with the same gimmick that its gotten tired and we 're so used to him keeping people down that we can't even feign interest in guys like Benoit and Y2J. Because, eventually, every program ends the same way.

No amount of 'Attitude' is going to fix that.

Savio
04-13-2005, 08:05 PM
I wouldn't call 2000 attitude years well at least not the end.

Savio
04-13-2005, 08:07 PM
Bret put over HBK. HBK put over Austin. Austin put over The Rock. The Rock put over Mankind. Mick put over Trips....and we're still waiting.
There's one flaw though Bret wasn't over. He never drew a dime. Well thats what Flair told me.

Kane Knight
04-13-2005, 08:09 PM
There's one flaw though Bret wasn't over. He never drew a dime. Well thats what Flair told me.
Oh, it's true. WOOOOOO

Savio
04-13-2005, 08:14 PM
Oh, it's true. WOOOOOOI wrestled with a broken friken neck!

Hitman84
04-14-2005, 04:19 AM
Bret never technically put HBK over. He had a creative control clause for the last 30 days of his contract and the original plan was for Bulldog and Neidhart to interfere, causing a DQ. Bret would then give up the belt the following night on RAW. I don't see this as putting HBK over.

Plus Ric Flair seriously annoys me ... :rant:

Rant over :lol:

Evolution
04-14-2005, 11:05 AM
Attitude booking with WWE talent. Triple H would have got owned by now if an Austin character was wrestling today.

John la Rock
04-14-2005, 02:58 PM
The thing I miss most about that era is that the WWF wasn't afraid to make new stars ( or maybe they had to because all their old stars signed with WCW..whatever) Bret put over HBK. HBK put over Austin. Austin put over The Rock. The Rock put over Mankind. Mick put over Trips....and we're still waiting.

Bull shit. still waiting for what?

Angle, Jericho, Lesnar, Guerrero, Benoit, Orton, Cena, Batista

WWE has done a good job in putting over new stars IMO

John la Rock
04-14-2005, 02:59 PM
That right there is the main problem with wrestling today. The WWE has had the same guy on top for so long with the same gimmick that its gotten tired and we 're so used to him keeping people down that we can't even feign interest in guys like Benoit and Y2J. Because, eventually, every program ends the same way.

No amount of 'Attitude' is going to fix that.

That's because you're stubborn

The Naitch
04-14-2005, 03:00 PM
The Rock in wrestling full-time

Fox
04-14-2005, 06:56 PM
Bull shit. still waiting for what?

Angle, Jericho, Lesnar, Guerrero, Benoit, Orton, Cena, Batista

WWE has done a good job in putting over new stars IMO

Sure, putting them over - then letting them slide right back down the chute while Triple H watches from the top of the ladder.

Angle - Greatness, but not in danger of being held down by Triple H because of his roster placement. Angle was "made" in 2000 when the Attitude era was in its dying days.

Jericho - Made himself into greatness, then won the Undisputed title, was made to look like a cowardly bitch with it, and subsequently jobbed to Triple H at Mania. Currently feuding with Shelton Benjamin. Only manages to keep his popularity by his own amazing talent with little to no help from the booking committee.

Lesnar - Only made a star on Smackdown!, therefore never in danger of being held down by Triple H. He took the Undisputed title to SD, remember? What happened next? Triple H was awarded the World Heavyweight Title. Angle and Rock put Lesnar over - HHH never did.

Guerrero - Smackdown superstar, his his peak at WrestleMania 20, and was subsequently jobbed to JBL, given no rematch, and currently on the verge of a heel turn and feud against a cruiserweight, Rey Mysterio.

Orton and Batista - Maybe your only two real arguments as they have become stars despite Triple H's solid grip on the main event scene. However, they have both done nothing for themselves that has not been associated with Triple H in some way, discluding Orton's short 3 week feud with the Undertaker.

John Cena - Another star created on Smackdown, the "B Show," who is in no danger of being held down by Triple H.

PureHatred's assessment of the situation is pretty accurate. Triple H does in fact seem to be the biggest problem in the WWE today.

Hired Hitman
04-14-2005, 07:03 PM
could be a lockerroom morale thing.

John la Rock
04-14-2005, 07:20 PM
Sure, putting them over - then letting them slide right back down the chute while Triple H watches from the top of the ladder.

Angle - Greatness, but not in danger of being held down by Triple H because of his roster placement. Angle was "made" in 2000 when the Attitude era was in its dying days.

Jericho - Made himself into greatness, then won the Undisputed title, was made to look like a cowardly bitch with it, and subsequently jobbed to Triple H at Mania. Currently feuding with Shelton Benjamin. Only manages to keep his popularity by his own amazing talent with little to no help from the booking committee.

Lesnar - Only made a star on Smackdown!, therefore never in danger of being held down by Triple H. He took the Undisputed title to SD, remember? What happened next? Triple H was awarded the World Heavyweight Title. Angle and Rock put Lesnar over - HHH never did.

Guerrero - Smackdown superstar, his his peak at WrestleMania 20, and was subsequently jobbed to JBL, given no rematch, and currently on the verge of a heel turn and feud against a cruiserweight, Rey Mysterio.

Orton and Batista - Maybe your only two real arguments as they have become stars despite Triple H's solid grip on the main event scene. However, they have both done nothing for themselves that has not been associated with Triple H in some way, discluding Orton's short 3 week feud with the Undertaker.

John Cena - Another star created on Smackdown, the "B Show," who is in no danger of being held down by Triple H.

PureHatred's assessment of the situation is pretty accurate. Triple H does in fact seem to be the biggest problem in the WWE today.

ya but he said that HHH hasn't put anyone over. Even if trips eventually regained the title, the person he put over still gets bigger pops than before. Benoit is a perfect example

Kane Knight
04-14-2005, 07:57 PM
I disagree but only slightly. Egos are what's poisoning the biz.

SammyG
04-14-2005, 09:04 PM
I just wish they would start showing wcw from the 1996-1997 years.. wcw ruled back then