PDA

View Full Version : WWE to air on NBC?

The Answer
04-16-2005, 09:03 PM
Don't know if this was posted yet so....
4/14/2005

NBCU's Telemundo will score Spanish-language versions of RAW, but the biggest news to come out of this is the fact that NBC will schedule two yearly 90-minute RAW specials to air late-night Saturdays in the Saturday Night Live time slot.

It will mark WWE's first appearance on NBC since the popular Saturday Night's Main Event and The Main Event hit the airwaves in the late 1980's.

James Steele
04-16-2005, 09:23 PM
I think it would be smarter to do one RAW Special and one SmackDown! Special.

YOUR Hero
04-16-2005, 09:28 PM
Nah, RAW is the flagship, no matter how much people may not like to admit it. Gotta go with your strengths.

James Steele
04-16-2005, 09:39 PM
True, but SmackDown! could do decent numbers (I think) for a special as well. Plus, 180 extra minutes of HHH is too much for me.

Kane Knight
04-16-2005, 09:41 PM
Nah, RAW is the flagship, no matter how much people may not like to admit it. Gotta go with your strengths.
Gotta go with your strengths, which is why they dumb down Smackdown if its ratings threaten Raw.

loopydate
04-16-2005, 10:33 PM
RAW's going to be on Telemundo?!? You mean, I can watch RAW without having to listen to JR? Or Triple H? Beautiful...

James Steele
04-16-2005, 10:36 PM
No, you will just learn how to say "The Game", "World Champion", and "That damn good" in Spanish in just 2 hours.

Kane Knight
04-16-2005, 10:39 PM
No, you will just learn how to say "The Game", "World Champion", and "That damn good" in Spanish in just 2 hours.
No way. In 2 hours, he only manages to get them out once.

Esoteric
04-16-2005, 11:52 PM
it would be tight for the two yearly special be handled like the wcw clash of the champions u kno have a free pay per view have all the championships defended i think that would get alot of ratings

loopydate
04-16-2005, 11:56 PM
HHH: Soy el juego. El más grande que este deporte ha sabido siempre. Batista, usted ha tomado cuál es legítimo mina. ¡BATISTA!

JR: ¡Por Dios, ese juego es adaptado literalmente mitad! ¡Maravilla! ¡Jericho con el perro escaldado jezebel de Crossface!

James Steele
04-17-2005, 12:24 AM
JR: Ese turnbuckle no se hace de gente de chocolate. ¡BAH GAWD!

King: ¡PERRITOS!

Triple H: ¡Yo lo golpearé como una bolsa de perritos porque soy el juego y yo soy eso maldice bueno! También porque soy once Mundo de tiempo Campeón Pesado.

James Steele
04-17-2005, 12:28 AM
Also Loopdate, the spanish-speaking fans would be more entertained than us:

Translated From Original Post By Loopydate:
HHH: I Am the play. The largest one than this sport has known always. Batista, you have taken which is legitimate mine. BATISTA!

JR: ¡By God, that play is adapted literally half! It amaze! Jericho with the dog scalded jezebel of Crossface!

olympic hitman
04-17-2005, 01:42 AM
It's a cool concept that the WWE could appear on different networks under the same company[since USA & NBC are owned by the same company].

The reason SmackDown could not be on NBC is because SmackDown[the show] is contracted to UPN until 2006. So, RAW will be on USA and SmackDown will be on UPN.

It will be interesting to see how the WWE will have the brands competing, seeing as they will technically be on rival networks :-\

I hope the WWE does the right thing here. Play the brands off each other since they are on different networks. That would make it seem like competition from within. We seen how well it worked with WCW/ECW and WWE being run at the same time though, huh :roll:

I'm just wondering if the 90 minute special will feature PPV calibur matches since it will only be twice a year?

James Steele
04-17-2005, 05:44 AM
:lol:

Did we alienate you olympic hateman?

We are sorry...

that you are such a thin-skinned whiny bitch.

I can't believe I thought you had potential. Your first post showed a great deal of potential. If you join TPWW, you better get ready to be the butt of a shitload of jokes and insults. Don't bitch about every single one. It took me months and months before people stopped calling me things I'd rather not repeat. Grow up, we are on computers. We can't hurt you unless you let us.

Have a nice day jackass. :wave:

I am JamesSteele & I Approve Of This Message. :y:

[retro] [/gimmick]

loopydate
04-17-2005, 10:32 AM
Also Loopdate, the spanish-speaking fans would be more entertained than us:
Damned Google translator...

Kane Knight
04-17-2005, 10:44 AM
:lol:

Did we alienate you olympic hateman?

We are sorry...

that you are such a thin-skinned whiny bitch.

I can't believe I thought you had potential. Your first post showed a great deal of potential. If you join TPWW, you better get ready to be the butt of a shitload of jokes and insults. Don't bitch about every single one. It took me months and months before people stopped calling me things I'd rather not repeat. Grow up, we are on computers. We can't hurt you unless you let us.

Have a nice day jackass. :wave:

I am JamesSteele & I Approve Of This Message. :y:

[retro] [/gimmick]
Wrong thread?

The CyNick
04-17-2005, 02:21 PM
Just because Smackdown is on UPN, that doesn't prevent them from running a show on NBC.

Smackdown is not a separate company, so UPN has a deal with the WWE, since the WWE is putting some of its programming on NBC, that obviously shows that they are free to make deals with other networks. If the WWE decided to put the talent from SD on a show on NBC for one night, there wouldn't be anything UPN could do about it.

It would be more logical to do one show on NBC for SD and one for RAW, but I'm sure the WWE will give both to RAW, well we all know why.

Its good for them to get exposure on a major network again, but at the same time, if they do poor numbers for these specials, it will be another black eye for them, when they could really use something positive to happen.

Of course the problem is that this isn;t like the 80s when we were starved for good frst run shows with major talent, nowadays we have too much of that, so its hard to imagine these shows will come off as major deals.

PureHatred
04-17-2005, 02:49 PM
Of course the problem is that this isn;t like the 80s when we were starved for good frst run shows with major talent, nowadays we have too much of that, so its hard to imagine these shows will come off as major deals.

True. But if the WWE were smart they would promote the hell out these things, and try to get some big name returns just for these events. Fans will tune in if you give thema real reason to.

I know I'd tune in if I knew three weeks ahead of time that say, The Rock or Mick Foley was doing an in-ring return.

PureHatred
04-17-2005, 02:50 PM
Or hold off Angle/HBK II for one of these specials.

James Steele
04-17-2005, 03:09 PM
Oh and Answer, I fixed your sig:

http://img66.echo.cx/img66/15/ortonshitlist4zd.jpg

James Steele
04-17-2005, 03:10 PM
On a side note, I didn't make that typo. :shifty:

The CyNick
04-17-2005, 03:48 PM
True. But if the WWE were smart they would promote the hell out these things, and try to get some big name returns just for these events. Fans will tune in if you give thema real reason to.

I know I'd tune in if I knew three weeks ahead of time that say, The Rock or Mick Foley was doing an in-ring return.

People like us will tune to watch Akio vs Paul London on Velocity, we're not the people they need to make this a success.

The problem is yeah, you could bring in some names like Foley, Rock, Hogan, or Austin to pop a number, but then what do you leave for the PPVs (which are abigger revenue stream?), and what do you then have left for RAW?

The other problem is that if you build an NBC special around one of those guys, it makes them look like the stars of the show, insted of the guys the WWE uses week in and week out.

In theory you could have one of them beat a Rock or Foley, but that goes back to the problem of not having things left for PPV. Rock-Cena would mean much more on PPV then it would on NBC on Saturday Night at 11:30 PM.

adamwwe
04-17-2005, 04:56 PM
Yeah, the return of SNME (please let it be called that) will be hampered by the complete overhaul of the wrestling landscape. It worked in the 80's because their idea for the show was something that their flagship at the time rarely, if ever at that point, did (star vs. star matches).

Will they think of something that will work? Time will tell. I really don't know what formula they could come up with that would be an added attraction, especially one not better suited for their zillion annual PPV events.

Unless they ended the brand extension and retooled somehow... Going to be interesting for a while.

Question: Has that timeslot (SNL replacement) been confirmed? I read somewhere that Vince was on CNN recently saying it would air AFTER SNL. God I hope not.