PDA

View Full Version : Lance Armstrong

Moonax
04-18-2005, 04:53 PM
Glad that the lying, cheating, hypocritical junkie is retiring.

Riding one race a year doesn't make you the greatest ever cyclist.

He survived cancer. So what. Lots of people do. Doesn't make him Jesus.

Barry Bonds on a bike.

Good riddance.

The Mask
04-18-2005, 05:21 PM
ooh, controversy.

BCWWF
04-18-2005, 06:37 PM
I don't want to get into the same debate as we did before, but Lance is undoubtedly the best Tour de France cyclist (I did not say overall cyclist), he has been tested hundreds of times and if any of them have been positive, nobody is saying it (and I think there are people who would exploit it if he was), and finally, a lot of people don't survive cancer, and a lot of people don't go onto great things like he has after cancer. He gives so much to cancer treatment, don't even try to say he doesn't.

I can understand if you wouldn't like him on a personal level. He is the brash, confident American. Go ahead and not like him, you wouldn't be the only one, but admit that thats why you don't like him instead of standing behind rumors.

Ol Dirty Dastard
04-18-2005, 06:41 PM
You just hate him because he's American Moonax :p

Rob
04-18-2005, 06:47 PM
Catch Question of Sport last night Moonax? Colin Montgomery told Maurice Green to touch the Ryder Cup since an American hasn't done it for a while. It was quite pleasing.

Moonax
04-18-2005, 06:50 PM
He has tested positive. For steroids. Which he claimed were for piles. A story which frankly ranks up there were Dennis Mitchell for plausability.

His being American has nothing to do with it. I don't like him because he is a liar and a cheat. As you well know the threshold for failing the EPO test is 50% hematocrit level. Do you really think a control-freak like Armstrong is going to not know what level of EPO ingestion relative to his blood-cell count is going to trigger a positive test?

It is the same as in any sport. The people who get caught are the Alex Sanchez's of the world not the Barry Bond's.

Lots of people give money to cancer research. So what?

Moonax
04-18-2005, 06:53 PM
Catch Question of Sport last night Moonax? Colin Montgomery told Maurice Green to touch the Ryder Cup since an American hasn't done it for a while. It was quite pleasing.

About the most amusing thing to have happened on it for a long while.

Ally McCoist = cock

Adder
04-19-2005, 10:29 AM
They showed a snippet, (or maybe it was a tidbit??) of an interview of his last night. Steroids are his legacy as much as his victories, it seems. I don't care about him or cycling enough to have absorbed all the names and events they rattled off last night, but he sure comes off as a scandal. Guilt by associationS at the very least.

Jesus Shuttlesworth
04-19-2005, 11:04 AM
I haven't been keeping up with this due the fact that Tour De France is the only cycling that gets any coverage over here - now with Lance out it will probably get none. Not that I care but that's besides the point.

Its disappointing if everything everybody is saying is true. It was a great story with him battling back from cancer and winning that gruling race - Like him or not he started a new idea with these braceletes which a lot of different foundations are starting to use. Which is good.

And Rob why was that quite pleasing?

Pete
04-19-2005, 11:54 AM
lol @ Moonax dismissing surviving cancer as if it was skinning your knee or something

BCWWF
04-19-2005, 02:42 PM
Lol at the Europeans just running with rumors and hearsay

Moonax
04-19-2005, 06:09 PM
When did Greg Lemond become European?

It's funny, but I fail to see how a failed drugs test counts as hearsay & rumour.

I fail to see how his doctor being convicted of supplying drugs counts as hearsay.

You've got anti-Americanism on the brain. I don't like Armstrong because he is a cheat and liar.

Is the fact that I hate Jose Mourihino because I am anti-Portuguese? No. I don't like him because he is a cheat and a liar.

Try again baby.

BCWWF
04-19-2005, 06:29 PM
I'll take your word that he failed this test you always bring up, but I will also say that I have never heard it mentioned, anywhere, when the issue was being brought up. I've read articles on him everywhere from ESPN to Reuters, so it's not like its some American bias, its just something that I think you are putting more signifigance to then anybody else.

Every article on it that I have seen has something to the likes of "has never failed a drug test", I've never seen them even bring that up, anywhere.

The fact remains, Armstrong has been back for around seven years now, which means he has been tested year round. You're going to say that thats not good enough, but he was also in at least one Olympics, where they test even harder. Then you will bring up that he didn't do very well in the Olympics, but that is obvious because the Olympics doesn't have a month long race involving large mountains. He hasn't been caught yet, and a lot of other people have, Tyler Hamilton being the latest. I don't buy that Lance can somehow dupe all of these tests in a country that now despises him.

I'm not saying that he didn't dope for sure, he may have, but as of right now all of your accusations are based on rumors, coincidental evidence, and things that weren't significant to anybody else.

Moonax
04-19-2005, 06:42 PM
You fundamentally misunderstand the nature of EPO. You can take EPO and not trigger a test failure. EPO produces red-blood cells as long as these do not exceed 50% then you won't fail a test. Armstrong can run at 49.9 and he won't fail the test, if he were to hit 50 then he would.

The point about EPO is that you can not prove that anyone has taken it unlike say testosterone. The only trace of it is an abnormal red blood cell count.

Cyclists know their blood-cell count like they know their fat-percentage.

Hamilton was caught out by a new method of blood-testing. You'll note that Armstrong missed the last Olympics when they had these tests and which was only developed very late last year.

There is no test for HGH and TGH was only discovered by accident. So it is entirely possible for Armstrong to have got by all these years without being discovered.

BCWWF
04-19-2005, 07:47 PM
I understand that there is a possibility that he has managed to pass all these tests over the years, but I just don't think there is any solid evidence that he is doped up and other people aren't.

The Miz
04-20-2005, 07:44 PM
Why is the bracelets a great idea, 95% of the people who wear themdon't give a shit about Lance Armstrong or cancer but wear them because it's trendy.

Jesus Shuttlesworth
04-20-2005, 07:56 PM
Why is the bracelets a great idea, 95% of the people who wear themdon't give a shit about Lance Armstrong or cancer but wear them because it's trendy.
Trendy or not they raised money. So whatever.

Also other organizations are doing the samething for other foundations now. So even if the person's intensions arent to help cancer research or whatever else the money is being raised - they are still donating money regardless.

Personally I think people who complain about LiveStrong bracelets need to quiet down. Nobody thinks you are any cooler because you point out how they are trendy and how you don't know have one. I think most people realize they are pretty damn trendy at this point.

BCWWF
04-20-2005, 08:40 PM
I think a lot of the people who wear livestrong bracelets got them because of Lance Armstong. People don't follow him like they do say the NFL, but he is an American hero to many people.

Gonzo
04-20-2005, 08:41 PM
God dammit, I bought one of those bracelets because I thought it was a good cause wayy back when they first started. Then everyone started to wear them so I don't even bother anymore.

But yeah, what is cancer these days anyway? I've gotten it three times already, a little kemo and you're fine. :roll:

Ol Dirty Dastard
05-08-2005, 11:22 AM
lol skinned knee