PDA

View Full Version : So Scott Gomez (NJ Devils) broke his pelvis today

YOUR Hero
04-18-2005, 11:32 PM
Playing in the ECHL. Awesome.

Somewhere on TPWW I stated that an NHLer would get hurt playing in one of these leagues. I wonder what's going through Scott's mind right about now.

Gonzo
04-19-2005, 01:18 AM
:mad:

:mad: Had to be a devil.

The Gooch
04-19-2005, 07:49 AM
Most of those NHLers put a huge target on themselves playing in these leagues. Granted a man has to earn a buck, but aren't most of them being hypocritical playing in leagues that actually have SALARY CAPS.

It's sad that possibly the next "great one" will be drafted via telephone. What's worse is that the draft was in Ottawa and I would most likely have bought tickets to go. Seeing Crosby drafted would be watching History.

Adder
04-19-2005, 10:15 AM
Forsberg recieved another concussion over in Europe didn't he? Not the same as this mind you, as he's recieved them so many times now that even a feather hitting his cranium is a serious matter.

Jesus Shuttlesworth
04-19-2005, 11:08 AM
Why what are they suppose to do? Not play?

Oh I know what they should do. They should have accepted the cap that was proposed. Where do they any room to gripe? Out of the 4 major sports they are by far the weakest when it comes to money.

Jesus Shuttlesworth
04-19-2005, 11:11 AM
Doesn't really make sense either. I mean they are on strike because they aren't making enough money but aren't they playing right now for shit money in these shit leagues?

The Gooch
04-19-2005, 11:19 AM
Doesn't really make sense either. I mean they are on strike because they aren't making enough money but aren't they playing right now for shit money in these shit leagues?

Some of which have a salary cap which doesn't make sense as that seems to be the major stumbling block in the negotiation process.

For the record they are locked out and not on strike. It is for that reason alone that I accept that they can play in other leagues. I would much prefer that they would not have joined other leagues as I would hate for any of the star players to get hurt from someone trying to make a name for themselves.

BCWWF
04-19-2005, 02:40 PM
This is kind of like that other topic, "A tree fell in the forest today"

MoRcHeEbA
04-19-2005, 03:42 PM
I find it funny that people say "should they just not play?" they're getting paid about $100,000 this year from the union anyway so if they take a chance and ruin their career it's their choice. Gomez appearently didn't break his pelvis like they thought though and he should be ok.

Also I would bet 75% of players in the NHL would accept a cap anyway since lots of players aren't making 5-7 million a year anyway.

YOUR Hero
04-19-2005, 08:15 PM
Why what are they suppose to do? Not play?

Oh I know what they should do. They should have accepted the cap that was proposed. Where do they any room to gripe? Out of the 4 major sports they are by far the weakest when it comes to money.
Because you don't follow hockey, I won't gripe at you too much. I will point out however that the NHL has nowhere near the money to throw around it once had. The NHL can't support the ballooned salaries that so many players have become accustomed to.

Jesus Shuttlesworth
04-20-2005, 12:45 AM
That's my point. NHL is getting dominated by the other 3 "major" sports when it comes to money so why are the players complaining? Why don't they just accept the fact that the sport isn't as big as the others so they aren't going to make the same type of money.

YOUR Hero
04-20-2005, 10:06 AM
Egos mainly.

Gonzo
04-20-2005, 11:48 AM
I find it funny that people say "should they just not play?" they're getting paid about $100,000 this year from the union anyway so if they take a chance and ruin their career it's their choice. Gomez appearently didn't break his pelvis like they thought though and he should be ok.

Also I would bet 75% of players in the NHL would accept a cap anyway since lots of players aren't making 5-7 million a year anyway.
I would wager that if you're playing a professional sport that you have a great deal of love for the game. I doubt anyone can just not play because of a given incident such as this.