PDA

View Full Version : shock&awe's thoughts on Hulk Hogan (Spoiler Warning)

KillerWolf
04-19-2005, 01:37 AM
They can never just let 'em retire with some dignity. There always has to be one last match. Winning (or losing) to the Rock at WM 18 would have been a fine capper to a great carreer. But NOOOOOOOOO.

And now his "last match" is going to be some stupid tag match with Shawn Micheals-at some second rate pay per view. It doesn't even make sense.

Aside from that, if what we saw on RAW is any indication (and it is) of what we will see at Backlash: i.e. a horrible match followed by a 20 minute Hogan/Micheals jerk-off session, then I say to Hell with it.

Even if I were a Hogan mark, I would not want to see this.

Kane Knight
04-19-2005, 01:41 AM
The WWE has gone out of their way to devalue the "last match" concept.

I'd like to say it started with Hogan, or even Foley, but really, they'll milk anyone they can.

Corkscrewed
04-19-2005, 01:48 AM
:y:

After Backlash, I'd love the crowd to go "ANOTHER LAST MATCH!!" to see how the reaction is, seeing as I'm sure they'll book this as Hogan's last match.

Kane Knight
04-19-2005, 02:06 AM
That would be awesome.

wwe2222
04-19-2005, 10:29 AM
the last match concept has been overdone for years in most promotions. I dont know why that comes as such a shock that its being promoted as his last match.

You cant argue with them much when everytime he comes out the crowd gives him the biggest cheers of the night. Though I do understand why some people dislike it it so much.

Hogan and HBK are two of my all time top 5 favorites, so Im all for it. But hey, at least they dont have either of them challenging for the world title right!

Kane Knight
04-19-2005, 10:58 AM
You can argue with it, because Hogan draws nostalgia pops, NOT ratings.

PorkSoda
04-19-2005, 11:12 AM
And then after the "ANOTHER LAST MATCH" they'll start chanting "YET ANOTHER LAST MATCH" and then "JUST ONE MORE MATCH" and then like Flair having "One Last Run" Hogan will have the "One Last Match" gimmick thing going.

Rammsteinmad
04-19-2005, 11:39 AM
To be honest, I've never cared for Hogan... not even 10 years when he was the biggest star the WWE had. His match at WM18 with The Rock was really good... they shoulda ended it there.

I'm really not looking forward to this tag match... even if Shawn Michaels is in it.

wwe2222
04-19-2005, 12:02 PM
Well, you cant be sure its not ratings until the actual ratings come out...but if the ratings are indeed below par, I cant disagree with your arguments

The Naitch
04-19-2005, 12:29 PM
I was waiting for HBK to superkick Hogan during their gay little pose down

Kane Knight
04-19-2005, 01:07 PM
Well, you cant be sure its not ratings until the actual ratings come out...but if the ratings are indeed below par, I cant disagree with your arguments
Put it this way:

You made the same argument that was made during his last appearances.

The ratings were shit then, even though the fans marked out.

The definition of insanity is repeating a process and expecting different results. "Maybe if I stick my cock in this light socket, it won't zap me this time."

"OWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW!"

Hogan gets big pops but he can't draw anymore, and I think the history on this far outweighs the fact that we haven't seen the numbers on his latest segment.

Kane Knight
04-19-2005, 01:09 PM
To be honest, I've never cared for Hogan... not even 10 years when he was the biggest star the WWE had. His match at WM18 with The Rock was really good... they shoulda ended it there.

I'm really not looking forward to this tag match... even if Shawn Michaels is in it.
I agree except for the "Never really cared for Hogan" part. I admit it. I was a Hogan fan in the 80s. He was a wrestler that appealed to a lot of kids within the pop culture field.

KingofOldSchool
04-19-2005, 01:19 PM
I've got the perfect name for the HBK/Hogan tag team...

Bald and Balding

Kane Knight
04-19-2005, 01:33 PM
I've got the perfect name for the HBK/Hogan tag team...

Bald and Balding
:lol:

I also would have accepted "blading."

wwe2222
04-19-2005, 01:42 PM
[QUOTE=Kane Knight]Put it this way:

You made the same argument that was made during his last appearances.

The ratings were shit then, even though the fans marked out.

Well I didnt make that argument then, im making it now, so dont say im doing the same thing over and over when this is the first time im saying it.

His last appearance was during Wrestlemania, not a Raw when everyoned expected him to show up.

Like I said, if the ratings are indeed shitty, Ill agree with you. I took a couple years off from wrestling so I dont know how it went when he came back 2 years ago.

Kane Knight
04-19-2005, 02:29 PM
Well I didnt make that argument then, im making it now, so dont say im doing the same thing over and over when this is the first time im saying it.
Note I didn't say YOU made it before, just that it's an identical argument that is likely equally false. I never said you're making the same argument before, either.

His last appearance was during Wrestlemania, not a Raw when everyoned expected him to show up.
And we cannot meausre how the buyrates were affected. But in his last run, he made appearances on Smackdown when he was expected and FAILED TO DRAW.

Like I said, if the ratings are indeed shitty, Ill agree with you. I took a couple years off from wrestling so I dont know how it went when he came back 2 years ago.
Right, and I'm pointing out that HOGAN FAILED TO DRAW.

wwe2222
04-19-2005, 02:42 PM
oh, i thought you were saying I personally made the argument. My mistake sir.

but cmon...

you got a little excited when real american hit...

even the slightest bit excited...

maybe you found yourself uncontrollably putting your hand to your year

cmon...

Jaded-Dragon
04-19-2005, 02:43 PM
I'll agree, even though I will always mark out for Hogan, he should of retired after WM18. The torch was passed to The Rock, we won his fans back, that should of been the preverbial "going out on top". But, he ends up winning the Undisputed title. Ok, I'm cool with that, it's only fitting he win the title one last time in the promotion that he helped build, in the "sport" that he helped make a national phenomenon.

But he just kept on going.... As much of a mark that I am for Hogan, I am also well aware that he is not going to do anything that is going to help in the ratings department. He needs to retire, like... 3 years ago. He could of went out on top then. Why he even agrees to these things, I'll never know. I would think that his own personal dignity would get in the way, but I guess he can't "let it go".

Kane Knight
04-19-2005, 02:50 PM
oh, i thought you were saying I personally made the argument. My mistake sir.

but cmon...

you got a little excited when real american hit...

even the slightest bit excited...

maybe you found yourself uncontrollably putting your hand to your year

cmon...
Nope.

I chuckled at the segment, but that's about it. Real American lost markout value for me years ago.

wwe2222
04-19-2005, 02:50 PM
Well I imagine its that way for alot of athletes...look at boxers and how many times they retire and come back...

Michael Jordan even...he retired 3 times

When you have 15,000 - 20,000 people cheering for you and chanting your name for nearly two decades...I imagine life at home to be significantly less exciting and fulfilling.

Kane Knight
04-19-2005, 02:52 PM
And Even Jordan, a competitive athelete still, isn't drawing like he used to in his prime.

wwe2222
04-19-2005, 02:58 PM
And Even Jordan, a competitive athelete still, isn't drawing like he used to in his prime.

No doubt...I was just providing an answer to Jaded dragon's queston of why cant he let it go...

The Naitch
04-19-2005, 02:58 PM
I'll agree, even though I will always mark out for Hogan, he should of retired after WM18. The torch was passed to The Rock, we won his fans back, that should of been the preverbial "going out on top". But, he ends up winning the Undisputed title. Ok, I'm cool with that, it's only fitting he win the title one last time in the promotion that he helped build, in the "sport" that he helped make a national phenomenon.

But he just kept on going.... As much of a mark that I am for Hogan, I am also well aware that he is not going to do anything that is going to help in the ratings department. He needs to retire, like... 3 years ago. He could of went out on top then. Why he even agrees to these things, I'll never know. I would think that his own personal dignity would get in the way, but I guess he can't "let it go".

Expect The Nanny 2 to be out <s>in theatres</s> on DVD very soon

Nick Venom
04-19-2005, 03:00 PM
http://www.wwe.com/shows/raw/backlash/matches/images/hogan.jpg
20 World titles, 4 Royal Rumbles, 12 WrestleMania main events
vs.
...?

wwe2222
04-19-2005, 03:22 PM
...vs a 1-0 record against HBK.

Jaded-Dragon
04-19-2005, 03:35 PM
Well I imagine its that way for alot of athletes...look at boxers and how many times they retire and come back...

Michael Jordan even...he retired 3 times

When you have 15,000 - 20,000 people cheering for you and chanting your name for nearly two decades...I imagine life at home to be significantly less exciting and fulfilling.

Very true, and I can fully understand the "eye of the tiger" syndrome that comes with playing sports or sports entertainment. However, in Hogan's case, he was never a great performer to begin with and over the years you see him botch more and more spots. Just look at the WM18 match with the Rock at how many times a spot was blown or almost blown, due to Hogan. I would figure that there comes a time where not only your safety, but the safety of the people you are working with, would come into play. But then again, I'm a rational human being and I have my doubts about Hogan and Vince.

wwe2222
04-19-2005, 04:27 PM
well it was better than the diva search that we would have gotten in its place probably

John la Rock
04-19-2005, 04:41 PM
HOGAN HOGAN HOGAN

Funky Fly
04-19-2005, 04:46 PM
Ok, you need to start narrowing this shit down to one (1, un, uno) topic, ok? Seriously.

Kane Knight
04-19-2005, 06:06 PM
No doubt...I was just providing an answer to Jaded dragon's queston of why cant he let it go...
The solution? Get a cheering section for your house.

I'm telling you, it works. I get cheered every time I take a shit.

wwe2222
04-19-2005, 06:47 PM
[QUOTE=Kane Knight]The solution? Get a cheering section for your house.

Hmm...I do like the sound of that. Id like my own entrance everytime I wake up in the morning to.

"This meal, scheduled for 2 bowls of cereal...Introducing first..."

yeah

Fignuts
04-19-2005, 06:51 PM
wwe2222, you need to learn how to quote. That's like the third time you've done that.

Kane Knight
04-19-2005, 06:51 PM
Though it gets tedious sometimes.

I broke up with my girlfriend, and they wouldn't stop chanting "you screwed Matt!"

Gerard
04-19-2005, 07:30 PM
Just look at the WM18 match with the Rock at how many times a spot was blown or almost blown, due to Hogan.

Care to point out these "spots" because the only spot that was blown was due to the rock being whipped into the turnbuckle and not putting his foot up in time to kick hogan, so hogan had to recover by laying a few punches into him. Ive got the dvd sitting here beside me.

wwe2222
04-19-2005, 09:11 PM
yeah, sorry about that...I guess im doing it wrong...could anyone be kind enough to tell me how to do it correctly?

Kane Knight
04-19-2005, 09:16 PM
yeah, sorry about that...I guess im doing it wrong...could anyone be kind enough to tell me how to do it correctly?
A quote needs to end with a [/quote] tag.

Jaded-Dragon
04-19-2005, 09:20 PM
Care to point out these "spots" because the only spot that was blown was due to the rock being whipped into the turnbuckle and not putting his foot up in time to kick hogan, so hogan had to recover by laying a few punches into him. Ive got the dvd sitting here beside me.

Yeah sure, I'll pop the tape in soon so I can do it in order. I'm quite sure I counted 4 the last time i watched it. Either that or hogan just looks really really sloppy.

Funky Fly
04-19-2005, 10:33 PM
There is a quote button on the bottom right hand corner of every post. Use it.

Loose Cannon
04-19-2005, 10:36 PM
[QUOTE=KANE FLY-JADED DRAGON][/COLOR][/SIZE=56] Yea, I agree][]QUOTE][CENTER][SZIE]