PDA

View Full Version : David Seaman retires

toxic rooster
01-13-2004, 07:25 PM
ENGLAND goalkeeper David Seaman has retired from football, the Manchester City player announced.

In a statement issued on the English Premiership club's website, Seaman, 40, said the recurrence of the shoulder injury he suffered in Saturday's 4-2 defeat by Portsmouth was the last straw.

"I have reached this difficult decision after much discussion with my family and those in the game whose views I respect," the former Arsenal star said.

"It has become clear to me that this type of injury will not quickly disappear and I think now would be a good time to hang up my boots, rather than at the end of the season as planned."

"I believe I have had a fantastic career playing at the highest level," said Seaman, capped 75 times by England.

His decision to quit came as City announced they had agreed terms with West Ham to bring their England goalkeeper David James, the current national number one, to the City of Manchester Stadium - a move which Seaman said happened on his recommendation.

"After deciding to retire it was a pleasure to recommend David James - so I know the position is in safe hands," Seaman said.

Manchester City have gone 14 games without a win.

--------------------------------------------------------

So long, Safe Hands :( .

I'd say Man City's fortunes may improve with James stopping, but time will tell, ay?

BCWWF
01-13-2004, 08:46 PM
Finally

Ska-Wars
01-14-2004, 05:59 AM
Well I can't say I'm surprised but he'll definately be missed. I've been an Arsenal fan for years and I was shocked when he left.

VonErich Lives
01-14-2004, 07:25 AM
Seaman... heh...

Wengerland
01-14-2004, 09:36 AM
Good luck to him,he's been a good servant.

On a related note that means Man City can only play that keeper who seems to concede alot against Leicester tonight.:D

Team Sheep
01-14-2004, 11:37 AM
**cough** Ronaldinho **cough** :D

Disturbed316
01-14-2004, 11:49 AM
**cough** wherethefuc</>kwerewalesintheworldcup? **cough**

Oxstar
01-14-2004, 12:01 PM
david seaman will now become a coach! he has had a great carear! top keeper!

Supreme Olajuwon
01-14-2004, 01:30 PM
sucks that hes leaving but he had a career to be proud of

BCWWF
01-14-2004, 11:48 PM
The problem in the past few years was that the aging Seaman was still the best keeper in England, so has anyone stepped up yet? Who is going to take the job for the national team now? (Pardon me if this is old news)

Rob Ban Fan
01-15-2004, 12:46 PM
**cough** Ronaldinho **cough** :D

<font face=verdana size=3 color="#ff6600">to be fair to him though, he didnt let many others past him in that tournament, did he?

Id rather remember him for the great perfomances he put in, rather than a couple of mistakes he made. :o</font>

Ogen
01-15-2004, 02:51 PM
The problem in the past few years was that the aging Seaman was still the best keeper in England, so has anyone stepped up yet? Who is going to take the job for the national team now? (Pardon me if this is old news)

Most likely candidate for the next few years is Seamans replacement at City David James.

Mike the Metal Ed
01-15-2004, 02:56 PM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport/furniture/in_depth/football/2001/england_v_greece/walker.jpg

:mad:

Team Sheep
01-15-2004, 04:03 PM
Every goalie makes a howler or two. To be fair, in Seaman's whole career he only made two mistakes that people will remember about him:

-England vs Brazil, World Cup
-Arsenal vs Zaragoza, Champions League (or was it the Uefa cup? Not sure)

He can't really be blamed for the Macedonia game. It was just a perfectly struck corner, and there were two players guarding each of the posts. Can't wait until the world cup qualifyers now though. :D

Rob
01-15-2004, 07:07 PM
He also got lobbed by Lee Dixon from like 40 yards in the first minute of a game when the backpass rule came in.

Mike the Metal Ed
01-15-2004, 09:43 PM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport/furniture/in_depth/football/2001/england_v_greece/walker.jpg

:mad: :mad: :mad:

Y2Ant
01-15-2004, 11:07 PM
Ian Walker or David James

pick your poison :'(

Rob Ban Fan
01-16-2004, 01:58 PM
Ian Walker or David James

pick your poison :'(

<font face=verdana size=3 color="#ff6600">Kirkland and Robinson for the future :$

Although David James best not screw up, ive got money on us.</font>

Y2Ant
01-16-2004, 02:32 PM
Shaka communicates more

Pav's very agile

Pompey and their flappers :rofl:

Frank Grimes Jnr
01-19-2004, 06:32 PM
What do david seaman's wife and the Bermuda Triangle have in common?
They both swallow a lot of Seaman. LOLZ.

Anyways, I'll be sorry to see him go coz he was a legend.

The Mask
01-20-2004, 05:28 AM
WTF that's the shittest joke ever.

Wengerland
01-20-2004, 10:51 AM
<font face=verdana size=3 color="#ff6600">to be fair to him though, he didnt let many others past him in that tournament, did he?

Id rather remember him for the great perfomances he put in, rather than a couple of mistakes he made. :o</font>

Yeah i find it a shame that the majority will just remember him for the mistakes.

Wengerland
01-20-2004, 10:53 AM

:mad:

I'm afraid he'll have to up his performances. :wavesad:

Cruiserweight 3:16
01-20-2004, 11:30 AM
Every goalie makes a howler or two. To be fair, in Seaman's whole career he only made two mistakes that people will remember about him:

-England vs Brazil, World Cup
-Arsenal vs Zaragoza, Champions League (or was it the Uefa cup? Not sure)

He can't really be blamed for the Macedonia game. It was just a perfectly struck corner, and there were two players guarding each of the posts. Can't wait until the world cup qualifyers now though. :D

It was in extra time of the Cup Winners Cup final.