PDA

View Full Version : My 100 Favorite Songs of All Time: 70-61

Lotus
04-23-2005, 01:34 AM
Here is the latest installment:

70. Nirvana- Smells Like Teen Spirit (Fall 1993): This was probably the first true rock/grunge/whatever song I ever heard, and I fell in love with it, even at the tender age of 6. Even though this song is 12 years old, I like it more and more every time I hear it. Nirvana was hella tight, but this is the last you will see of them on the countdown. "Come as you Are" and "Heart-Shaped Box" were considered, but they just didn't have enough pull. I miss this group. Fuckin' Courtney Love. :foc:

69. Tupac- Life Goes On (2000): Uh, I originally had this song as high as either 39 or 29, and then I took it off completely. I probably should have left it off completely. How this song is so high I don't know. I thought the song was tighter than it really was, because I usually listened to it when I was on airplanes, so I didn't hear the total quality of the song. So when I actually put all these songs on CD and listened to 'em in order, I realized this song had no business being at #69. Oh well. Don't get me wrong, the song is great, but just not Top 70 material, maybe not even Top 100. It probably won't make the 2007 or 2008 countdown, whenever I get around to it.

68. Outkast- ATLiens (May 1999): I have always loved this song, but it really wasn't until I read "The Color Purple" until I thought this song was damn near untouchable. But since I read that book only 7 months ago, I've decided that I shouldn't bump it up so high just yet. Now you might be asking yourself, "what the fuck? The Color Purple made you love this song even more? But How?" Well, when I was reading the end, the song was going through my mind, and it just seemed fitting. The beat in that song is fuckin' tight, and the third verse, along with the chorus, are classics.

67. Prodigy- Firestarter (Summer 1996, I think): The first time I heard this song, I was like, "who the fuck do these guys think they are?" because it was the first time I heard these guys. It was on a Saturday Night on MTV, fyi, not that it matters or anything. But anyways, it took a while for the song to grow on me, and then after my cousin started playing a lot of Prodigy for me about 4 years ago (and I realized that they had a song on the Hackers Soundtrack, the best soundtrack of all time), so I decided to get "Fat of the Land", which produced another Top 100 song (you'll see it soon enough) and almost another one ("Smack my Bitch Up"). Their rock-techno blend is the best out of any of those groups that do it. These guys were legit.

66. Mos Def, Pharaohe Monch, Nate Dogg- Oh No (February 2001): When looking at the title of this song, even I am surprised that this made the list, and comfortably making it at that. It lasted maybe all of two or three weeks on commercial radio, but the song made a lasting impression on me, earning itself a spot on my "Rap Music: Volume 2" collection, which is my best burned Rap CD ever. It has a nice beat, the song, and Mos and Monch have some tight lines, very tight lines. The lyrics and the delivery of the lyrics go perfectly with the beat.

65. Bush-Machinehead (1996, I believe): Man, I love this song. I love the riffs, I love Gavin's voice over it, I love the chorus, I love the lyrics, I love everything about it. Not really much else to say. I know these guys had some other tight songs, but I have since forgot them since their hey-days in the mid-1990s. I guess you can tell by now that I have a hard-on for early-mid-1990s rock. A huge stiffy. I felt you like electric light...

64. Snoop Dogg, Dr. Dre- Nuthin' But a G Thang (1993): This was the first rap song I remember listening to, back in 1st grade. I fell in love with it then, and I'm still in love with it now. I remember thinking that the video was hella tight, and I used to get this song and "What's My Name" confused when I was a youngin'. Tight-ass song with a killer chorus. This, that, and this and uh, it's like that and like this and like that and uh, it's like this, and who gives a fuck about those? So just chill, to the next episode. Bitch.

63. Breeders-Cannonball (1993): The melody in this song is Whoooooo! So beautiful. So relaxing. I remember this music video- there was a fuckin' cannonball just rolling down the sidewalk like the whole fucking song. It was pretty tight, I guess. I don't think these guys ever came out with anything else worthwhile, but this one-hit wonder group makes up for their otherwise worthlessness with this song. Shit, I'm starting to remember how tight MTV really was back a decade ago or so...

62. Outkast-Rosa Parks (December 1998): Ah-ha, yeah-yeah, ba-by, uh-huh. It took me so long to figure out what the chorus was saying, no one got it right at my school (we also had trouble with the "Stop, drop, shut 'em down and open up shop" on the Ruff Ryders' Anthem). Anyways, the first time I heard this song, I thought it had the best beat ever made. And while it still is badass, my mind has since changed. Nevertheless, Rosa Parks is killer. Outkast is the only group that can get away with putting out short verses, then have a bunch of filler time after the two verses, and still make the song sound tight.

61. Smashing Pumpkins- 1979 (1996): I guess you could say that this song falls into the same boat with "Life Goes On". It has no business being at #61, seeing as how my favorite Smashing song is "Bullet Butterfly with Wings", but it somehow found its way 18 slots above that song. Well, I guess I thought that since this song sounded more serious and less rage-filled, that it had to be better. But I'm wrong. This song is still great, and it has a tight music video (I miss you, Daisy Fuentes), and the melody is sweet, and Billy Corgan's voice on the chorus is unforgettable, but #61 is a little too much praise. Or maybe I should just move up "Bullet Butterfly with Wings".

Damn, a lot of early to mid-'90s songs on this installment. Wow, MTV used to be the shit................... That's it for now. Expect an MTV thread in the near future from me.......................

Silent
04-23-2005, 03:28 AM
ATLiens is a good song.

Loose Cannon
04-23-2005, 10:53 PM
Mid 90's Alternative Rock Ruled All

Bush was my favorite band back then with Oasis.

Other Bush songs:

Glycerine (Fav song of all-time)
Come Down
Everything Zen
Bonedriven
Swallowed

Gertner
04-24-2005, 01:20 PM
Bush was amazing.

btw popped in my old Prodigy cd a couple days ago. That cd is pretty amazing.

Zen v.W.o.
04-24-2005, 02:09 PM
double post, look below. Dunno wtf happened.

Zen v.W.o.
04-24-2005, 02:09 PM
I still like Bush. The only album by Bush that I'm not too high on was the one where they mixed all their hits with techno beats.."deconstructed", and not too fond of "the chemicals between us".

I like Bush when they're rockin.

btw, weren't they called Bush X everywhere? Not just up here for a time?

Jesus Shuttlesworth
04-26-2005, 12:36 AM
Your taste in music is like exactly the same as mine

Lotus
05-31-2005, 02:38 AM
Just bumpin'. Sorry to do this (I ain't spammin'). But it's been so long since I've last done a list that for those of you who don't remember, I figured I should bump it up since I just put in my latest list, 40-31.