PDA

View Full Version : Redskins looking for the next Antonio Gates

Jesus Shuttlesworth
04-29-2005, 10:42 PM
http://images.sportsline.com/u/ap/photos/VAEV101042913_lower.jpghttp://www.bigeast.org/reference/photos/mbball/pal/fullsize/Chevon-Troutman-Dunk-Amazing.jpg
Chevon Troutman from Pitt was invited to Redskins mini camp. What do you guys think? If he can actually play I think you will see this shit happening A LOT more - obviously it won't always be succesful but its still intresting to see. Not to mention some mock drafts have had Troutman being a very late 2nd round pick in the NBA draft (NBADraft.net has him as the VERY last pick of the 2nd right now)

Speaking of people being invited to camps, anything on Lesner? I haven't heard if he will be invited to any training camps this year.

Supreme Olajuwon
04-30-2005, 03:19 AM
He seems like he'll get pushed around at the TE position in the pros. Yeah he's 6'7" but he's only 240

BCWWF
04-30-2005, 03:53 AM
Lesnar better be back to the Minnesota camp. He was hilarious in the preseason game I went to.

Jesus Shuttlesworth
04-30-2005, 02:07 PM
He seems like he'll get pushed around at the TE position in the pros. Yeah he's 6'7" but he's only 240
We'll he would be a project - Didn't it take Gates 2 years before he played?

I think thats another problem that could arise from this. People would be expecting these guys to step in right away and play which is not the case. Would take these guys a while

OssMan
04-30-2005, 02:40 PM
I dunno I think they should have drafted a middle linebacker instead of a qb

Gonzo
04-30-2005, 02:56 PM
I think it would be a waste of time for teams to do this. I would rather get someone who played the position in college and work with them, rather than take a basketball player or whatever and try to convert him into a football star. The biggest attraction is probably these guy's hands but I just don't see anyone that is converted becoming a complete package.

Jesus Shuttlesworth
04-30-2005, 04:05 PM
The biggest attraction is probably these guy's hands but I just don't see anyone that is converted becoming a complete package.Antonio Gates

The Miz
04-30-2005, 04:13 PM
lol

MoRcHeEbA
05-01-2005, 03:33 PM
released......

Jesus Shuttlesworth
05-01-2005, 04:23 PM
I wonder if he will stick with it or just play in the NBA or what.

Gonzo
05-01-2005, 09:21 PM
One breakout year and the guy is the whole deal? No.

Jesus Shuttlesworth
05-01-2005, 10:05 PM
Well hes only played one year? What do you want? He will have another good year this, and the year after, and after etc

Barring an injury of course

MoRcHeEbA
05-01-2005, 10:19 PM
yeah I don't believe I've ever seen a player put up numbers like him only to be a one year wonder.

AlphaBean
05-02-2005, 01:00 AM
They said the year before, when nobody knew his name, that he was going to be the next Gonzales. Just from camp, from skills alone. They just saw the potential in him.

Yeah I would kill myself if I was a tight end who could only pass catch. Whatever would I do? :roll:

BCWWF
05-02-2005, 01:15 AM
Wiggins

<font color=black>Has absolutely nothing to do with this subject matter

AlphaBean
05-02-2005, 01:34 AM
MoRcHeEbA said something about one-hit wonder TE's. There have been plenty of them. Like Ben Coates etc.

Ah yes, Byron Chamberlain. :yes:

If you're in a good system, you can have a good season and then suck the next year.

PureHatred
05-02-2005, 02:03 AM
Ben Coates was not a one year wonder. He had two HUGE years ('94 & '95) and from 93-98 was always among the league leaders in rec, yds, and TD's for TE's.

A real one year wonder would be someone like Doug Jolley.

Also, Gates was killing people the last month of '03 before he blew up last year. He won't be as dominant this year just because teams will scheme for him more, but I'm sure he's still good for 50+ catches, 700+ yds, and 5 TDs or more..great numbers for any TE. I'm sure more teams are going to start scouting college basketball players from now on.

PureHatred
05-02-2005, 02:18 AM
[img]Speaking of people being invited to camps, anything on Lesner? I haven't heard if he will be invited to any training camps this year.

PWInsider.com has reported that Lesnar "might" be in discussions with Denver and now he thinks he has to switch to offensive line. I guess he plans on gaining 60 lbs or so.

When the whole Lesnar/NFL thing came out I was one of the clearheaded people saying he didn't have a chance in hell of ever making it to the NFL. I'm going ot go ahead and stand on that.

AlphaBean
05-02-2005, 07:00 AM
PWInsider.com has reported that Lesnar "might" be in discussions with Denver and now he thinks he has to switch to offensive line. I guess he plans on gaining 60 lbs or so.

When the whole Lesnar/NFL thing came out I was one of the clearheaded people saying he didn't have a chance in hell of ever making it to the NFL. I'm going ot go ahead and stand on that.
Well Denver's D-line has thinned out, so who knows? And Ben Hamilton, another former Minnesota grad, weighs like 280. With the zone blocking scheme, size doesn't matter in Denver.

However, I just don't see why they can't put Lesnar at rush end or linebacker in 3-4. He has the speed to dominate as a pure pass rusher, I would think. :dunno: I feel he has a chance. The only problem is, his age. He'll be a developmental project who will make it when he's like 30+. At least he will get his chance, and might have a few seasons where he produces, if he works his ass off every year.

I don't get it. Why wasn't he in NFL Europe? Didn't he try to get there, or was he dissed or something?

PureHatred
05-02-2005, 12:45 PM
No, no, no, no, no......I can't believe someone who knows as much sports as you do buys this Lesnar bullshit. First off, he hasn't played organized football since high school. You don't just wake up one day, 10 years from the last time you put on pads and go to the NFL. He's not joining a gym. It's the fricking NFL....people with actual talent wash out every year. Hell, Jason White won the Heisman and he probably won't get a sniff of the league.

Reports from the Vikes camp last year said that Lesnar's 40 time that was reported on the wrestling rag sheets was grossly exagerated. He struggled through agility drills. Mike Tice said he was having problems with even basic football knowledge and fundamentals. He was, in short, a bust.

And as for working on his game: Brock Lesnar issued a statement through his agent that he would not play in NFL Europe, he would not play on a taxi squad, and he would not play in the Arena league. It would be the NFL or nothing. So not only was he light years from having the talent to make the NFL, but he wasn't willing to put the man-hours in to improve himself enough to get a shot.

Lesnar is enough of an athlete that I think he might've had a chance had he tried the NFL after he graduated. Five years ago. But at this point, Brock Lesnar is not making the NFL.

Jesus Shuttlesworth
05-02-2005, 02:06 PM
Just making it to an NFL training camp is impressive but I don't think he will ever make it in the NFL.

AlphaBean
05-02-2005, 03:00 PM
No, no, no, no, no......I can't believe someone who knows as much sports as you do buys this Lesnar bullshit. First off, he hasn't played organized football since high school. You don't just wake up one day, 10 years from the last time you put on pads and go to the NFL. He's not joining a gym. It's the fricking NFL....people with actual talent wash out every year. Hell, Jason White won the Heisman and he probably won't get a sniff of the league.

Reports from the Vikes camp last year said that Lesnar's 40 time that was reported on the wrestling rag sheets was grossly exagerated. He struggled through agility drills. Mike Tice said he was having problems with even basic football knowledge and fundamentals. He was, in short, a bust.

And as for working on his game: Brock Lesnar issued a statement through his agent that he would not play in NFL Europe, he would not play on a taxi squad, and he would not play in the Arena league. It would be the NFL or nothing. So not only was he light years from having the talent to make the NFL, but he wasn't willing to put the man-hours in to improve himself enough to get a shot.

Lesnar is enough of an athlete that I think he might've had a chance had he tried the NFL after he graduated. Five years ago. But at this point, Brock Lesnar is not making the NFL.
I have never seen anything about the 40 times being exaggerated, or him struggling through agility drills. Nor have I heard that he refused to do NFL Europe.

Had he done NFL EU he might have had a better chance, definitely. It would have taught him NFL-level football at a rapid pace. Instead... meh.

But like this thread indicates, there is a place for other-sport athletes who can make the conversion. Like I said, the age thing will be the problem. Had he been younger, he'd have had a chance, been developmental, and made an NFL squad when he was older. I heard that he did the most wind sprints of anyone on the Vikings last year. Or something like that. I mean come on. Some team with roster space should put him on their team to break up a wedge! :dunno:

Maybe I'm just blinded by my deep, deep desire to see Lesnar play in the NFL. I just think it's a horrible place he's in, thinking he can make it when all the odds are strongly against him. I wish teams like the Vikings would at least tell him to go back to wrestling, because I have nothing but love for the big idiot, and stopped watching wrestling when he quit. :mad:

Also, Jason White may have won the Heisman, but he joins a long list of Heisman winners, and for every successful Heisman winner you show me, I'll give you three busts. It doesn't mean much. Though I think his heart and mind should be enough to make him a good Tom Brady/Trent Dilfer type QB. With a good defense, White would be amazing. Vikings should give him a shot.

PureHatred
05-02-2005, 03:19 PM
You're blinded. Also, I dont feel like searching through the old threads on this. I postd the article where Tice and Lesnar's agent were quoted.

AlphaBean
05-02-2005, 04:24 PM
What? I admitted that I'm blinded.

However I do believe that if he was younger when he started, he'd have a chance. But I mean, more power to him. He can wrestle until he's 80.

PureHatred
05-02-2005, 04:44 PM
Ditto..age is his biggest drawback. Hard to see an NFL team investing years in training him when he'll be 30 by the time he's any kind of decent.

Wish he'd get let go of his pride and go back to the WWE.

BCWWF
05-02-2005, 04:57 PM
The reports I read about Lesnar in the Star Tribune said that he worked his ass off on every down, but that at a point the mistakes just weren't being fixed anymore.

AlphaBean
05-02-2005, 10:24 PM
Poor Jason White. :(

Jesus Shuttlesworth
05-03-2005, 06:41 PM
Well the Heisman is given the guy who puts up the most stats in college - not given to the person who will probably be the best player in the NFL. Thats why I don't really buy into the "Heisman busts." White was never projected to be a great NFL prospect so he isn't really a 'bust"