PDA

View Full Version : Hey, Remember the European title?

BigDaddyCool
05-02-2005, 07:22 PM
What the hell were they thinking with that belt. Wasn't it only defended in Europe like twice, and both times in England which as about as much to do with Europe as California has to do with America? Also, weren't there only 2 people actually from Europe that held that title? And again, weren't they both English? I mean honestly, what was Vince thinking when he came up with that title. Couldn't it have been the North American/US/TV/American title, any of those names would have made more since.

Jacko
05-02-2005, 07:28 PM
The UK is in Europe no?

Thought it was a pretty good belt imo. D-Lo Brown beating HHH = classic :D

Londoner
I guess other companies already owned the rights to the TV and US title, like WCW. Guess European was the only other thing they could think of,i liked the belt but was always confused by it aswell.

Londoner
No jacko, the UK is not in europe.

BigDaddyCool
05-02-2005, 07:30 PM
The UK is in Europe no?

Well, sorta.

Jacko
05-02-2005, 07:30 PM
No?

Down with the Treaty of Rome and Nice..

Still they were signed and we are apart of Europe, unfortunately.

Vote UKIP.

Rob
05-02-2005, 08:13 PM
D'Lo was European and Christian spoke fluent European so do they count?

XL
05-02-2005, 08:15 PM
I guess other companies already owned the rights to the TV and US title, like WCW. Guess European was the only other thing they could think of,i liked the belt but was always confused by it aswell.

Not sure about that you know!?!

I mean sure WCW had the rights to the WCW TV title as did ECW have the rights to the ECW TV title but so surely it would make sense that WWE/F could have the WWE/F TV Title??

No??

YOUR Hero
05-02-2005, 08:22 PM
In it's inspection, the Euro belt had more credibility than any of today's belts, minus the WCW and World

Xero
05-02-2005, 08:23 PM
Maybe they were trying to be different from the other feds, and trying to improve their overseas fan base. Although, if they were trying to improve it, one or two shows a year isn't worth it. Right now would be a smart time to reactivate the title IF they plan to frequent the UK and Europe more like they're starting to.

Mr. JL
05-02-2005, 08:58 PM
Well, Jeff Hardy was the last one to be seen with the European Championship. I think he lost it and the WWE quickly covered it up by Unifying it with the Intercontinental Championship.

Bischoff187
05-02-2005, 11:24 PM
http://csswrestling.free.fr/Champions/History/wwe%20european.htm

/\
||
|| RVD was the last one to hold it ;-o

Zen v.W.o.
05-02-2005, 11:27 PM
It was made especially for Bulldog. The man was greatness. He gave that title cred. Great matches he had, and the way he won that title over Owen in a superb match was amazing. That title was worth quite a bit while he was champ, and was okay up till the point when it got passed around to the lesser guys.

But Bulldog and Owen and even D'lo didnt hurt it, although HBK's dumb antics may have.

Bischoff187
05-02-2005, 11:28 PM
D'lo Brown was the European title.

XL
05-02-2005, 11:42 PM
D'lo Brown was the European title.

Is that a question or a statement?? :-\

Gonna take it as a question!

Yes! he was, back in like 98/99! He had a pretty enjoyable fued with X-Pac! In fact D'Lo unified the European and IC titles to become the Euro-continental Champ! As did Kurt Angle and I guess RVD! :yes:

TerranRich
05-03-2005, 12:16 AM
http://titles.xylot.com/wweeuro.html

;)

BatistaBomb
05-03-2005, 11:31 AM
d-lo was the greatest euro champ

but do you remember mideon holding the title

Londoner
05-03-2005, 11:35 AM
Not sure about that you know!?!

I mean sure WCW had the rights to the WCW TV title as did ECW have the rights to the ECW TV title but so surely it would make sense that WWE/F could have the WWE/F TV Title??

No??

Hmm, i don't know it was just a guess anyway, because now the WWE is using the US title, but they never did before WCW went out of business, that's where the guess came from.

Londoner
05-03-2005, 11:38 AM
d-lo was the greatest euro champ

but do you remember mideon holding the title

Yes.

I have the tape where D-Lo beat Mideon for the title, at Fully Loaded 98...or could've been 99 not sure.It was when Steve Austin beat Undertaker and Vince 'lost his job' cos of that.

Hired Hitman
05-03-2005, 11:39 AM
In that case, Why isn't the World Title defended all around the world, it might as well be called the North American Title.

Londoner
05-03-2005, 11:40 AM
People, please stop trying to put logic and the WWE together.

The One
05-03-2005, 11:41 AM
I think it kind of was playing off of the European Heavyweight Title that the boxing world has...I don't know. British Bulldog was the fucking man when he was champ though.

Mr. JL
05-03-2005, 02:32 PM
http://csswrestling.free.fr/Champions/History/wwe%20european.htm

/\
||
|| RVD was the last one to hold it ;-o
Yes, I know that but you never saw RVD actually crrying around the belt. Nor did we actually see Jeff Hardy carrying the belt to the ring the night he lost the European Championship.

Jonster
05-03-2005, 02:39 PM
Al Snow.

Zen v.W.o.
05-03-2005, 03:16 PM
Bulldog was the greatest euro champ. Talent wise, for longevity with the title, and for the fact when he defended that belt, it was against greater opponents.

D'lo didn't have that.

Gertner
05-03-2005, 04:09 PM
lol al snow as euro champ was amazing

Regal held it too didn't he?

BigDaddyCool
05-03-2005, 05:45 PM
lol al snow as euro champ was amazing

Regal held it too didn't he?

Regal and Bulldog were the only 2 Europeans I was refering to earlier.

jerichoholic169
05-03-2005, 05:55 PM
didn't al snow come out with a different european gimmick each week? that was classic shit.

they should bring it back. when shane had the belt it got retired and then they brought it back. They did the same with the IC title when HHH retired it in that awful angle with Kane and then brought it back 8 months later anyway. i think they should bring it back on smackdown and the hardcore title on raw so that the lower order 'jobbers' can actually have something meaningful to fight over.

Loose Cannon
05-03-2005, 06:28 PM
I thought the Belt was a great belt. It looked good on many guys.

Angle
Guerrero
Owen
HHH
HBK
Bulldog
D-LO

All great champs and they all brought cred to the belt.

Rob
05-04-2005, 11:15 AM
In that case, Why isn't the World Title defended all around the world, it might as well be called the North American Title.

The WWE world title are defend around the world. U.S, Canada, England, Wales, Scotland, Finland, Ireland, Northern Ireland, Italy, Germany, Mexico, Puerto Rico, South Korea, Japan, South Africa, Kuwait, France, Australia, New Zealand. That's just the countries I know for a fact they have did shows in where the titles were defended. I'm missing more.

BigDaddyCool
05-04-2005, 04:34 PM
The WWE world title are defend around the world. U.S, Canada, England, Wales, Scotland, Finland, Ireland, Northern Ireland, Italy, Germany, Mexico, Puerto Rico, South Korea, Japan, South Africa, Kuwait, France, Australia, New Zealand. That's just the countries I know for a fact they have did shows in where the titles were defended. I'm missing more.

India, you forgot India.

Zen v.W.o.
05-04-2005, 04:56 PM
I thought the Belt was a great belt. It looked good on many guys.

Angle
Guerrero
Owen
HHH
HBK
Bulldog
D-LO

All great champs and they all brought cred to the belt.

I wouldnt say HBK brought any cred to that title. He treated it like it was shit. He jobbed it down to HHH by laying down in a "funny" match.
All the hard work put in by Bulldog who had to job in england for that guy, while dedicating the match to his sister with cancer of all things, and HBK just made it look like crap. He never defended it.

FourFifty
05-04-2005, 09:39 PM
What the hell were they thinking with that belt. Wasn't it only defended in Europe like twice, and both times in <b>England which as about as much to do with Europe as California has to do with America?</b>

As a dude from Cali, who sees a lot of flag wavers around, all I have to say is I laugh, then weep for how stupid you sounded....

RGWhat316
05-05-2005, 12:27 AM
LOL, I actually remember when Spike beat Regal for the title, and it was only like a 10 second match. Spike grabbed the knucks Regal was using and knocked him out.