PDA

View Full Version : Ugh, another Title 9

BCWWF
05-03-2005, 08:19 PM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2005/more/05/03/bc.vol.volleyballlawsui.ap/index.html?cnn=yes

DENVER (AP) -- A female senior at Grand Junction High School who can't play volleyball because she didn't make the varsity team filed a lawsuit Monday alleging the school treats girls differently than boys.

Unlike boys who play football, girls don't have the option of playing on the junior varsity volleyball team if they fail to make the varsity team, according to the lawsuit filed in U.S. District Court.

<!--startclickprintexclude--> <table style="margin-right: 15px;" align="left" border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" width="300"> <tbody><tr><td class="cnnImgAdPad">http://i.cnn.net/si/.element/img/1.0/misc/advertisement_down.gif
<!-- ad more_sports/bottom_left.300x250 --><script language="JavaScript1.1"> document.adtile = (document.adtile||0) + 1; document.random = document.random || Math.ceil(1+1E12*Math.random()); document.write('<scr'+'ipt language=\"JavaScript1.1\" src="http://ad.doubleclick.net/adj/si.more.dart/;sz=300x250;ad=yes;tile='+document.adtile+';ord='+document.random+'?"></scr'+'ipt>'); </script><script language=\"JavaScript1.1\" src="http://ad.doubleclick.net/adj/si.more.dart/;sz=300x250;ad=yes;tile=2;ord=112646155089?"></script><!-- Template Id = 1271 Template Name = Banner Creative (Flash) - Digitas --> <!-- Copyright 2002 DoubleClick Inc., All rights reserved. --> <noscript>http://ad.doubleclick.net/ad/si.more.dart/;sz=300x250;ad=yes? ("]http://m3.doubleclick.net/936672/Nitro_300x250.gif[/url]</noscript> <script src="http://69.20.64.12/ap/digitas/exposed.jsp?B=a"></script><noscript>http://i.a.cnn.net/si/.element/img/2.0/misc/cl/advlinks1.gif[/img]</td> <td align="right" background="http://i.a.cnn.net/si/.element/img/2.0/misc/cl/bar.gif">http://i.a.cnn.net/si/.element/img/2.0/misc/cl/whatsthis.gif (javascript:CNN_openPopup('/services/overture/cl/frameset.exclude.html','620x430','toolbar=no,location=no,directories=no,status=no,menubar=no,scrollb ars=no,resizable=no,width=620,height=430'))</td> </tr> <tr> <td class="cnnCLbox" colspan="2"> <table id="cnnContextualLinks" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" height="286" width="300"> <tbody><tr> <td>
(http://www20.overture.com/d/sr/?xargs=15KPjg151Sy4K9k7PyMPiIRvydhRlLitvrrpc7RsMoQ4karzcvEv4sMf7ejZZ1T%2Dtn%2DF%2Dpuf%2DV%2Da8SK%5FX %2Dm%5FiJBEz3MV77b%2DON1YXCzow9R9vXXdAxkeF1kufqmoZYTydFb2%2DzfNq%5Fl%2DjMKNL7KT0er81QlWTt8IVpw73FwZF qFc6s2lV78i8gEqhgtP18jMyTGaoZS7JWDtyYkSafdZpWl6UBneWlPSUSKV%2D0piwBqVOGLThp5deNf4Jb5uG4jNzJN7yj3dRGk 3aj7uIgkX6byH6DzpRqNmSDjbpP1lMNTb2cMXiZ1l5tpf2B0p2YcIE8%5FGXAHYWHeCKzKQZtPhQvCa7oKhePYn0R016HL6RzLJj soXb6DbGnPRA%2E&yargs=www.volleyballtours.com)</td></tr></tbody></table></td></tr></tbody></table>
</td></tr></tbody> </table> Jessica Wieker's lawsuit alleges Mesa County Valley School District No. 51 discriminates against girls, which is a violation of a federal law known as Title IX that guarantees equal gender access to public education.

An after-hours phone message left at an answering service for the district was not immediately returned. Wieker's attorney, Michael Grattan III, also did not return an after-hours phone message.

Wieker also alleges the school treats girls differently by not offering as many opportunities for sports for girls and provided buses with onboard bathrooms for the football team, while the girls' volleyball team travels to games on district-owned vans driven by coaches.

Copyright 2005 [url="http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/interactive_legal.html#AP"]Associated Press (http://www20.overture.com/d/sr/?xargs=15KPjg15VSxIK9k7PyMPiIRvydhRlLitypsYsxTdVnTIoD7zQyDbwqJ%5FGQx5k7U7Qjs1LGnv%2DV%2DKcAfYqPlfqDE gaOTFeOHubpnvWwwI9JMKilLdhOg7UqwuqYl4dYbiZSb2%2D5ecTNxq3BIdT%2DOXtP9oYAzh6PvqQ%5Fg5zusdEjZL3aqiF8jSj RVe8G6qMg8jjwGv5QF%2DdYf4mpozaXcJ8xzt13kOShODZOUV%2Dv5mh%5FqF3xJiY94qPOdYkAsaO148%2DbZLGiyJBIOBXNq6o i5QYe%2D06H38kaVneDia1ejlcEVar4aSybhQIpvs6OzraFfJ5u7W7xJo%2DASi61NC0vNRseAeeheEOcdD9n7xqRMcQBbeSfuiP iMYTbXGJ8NxcM7%5FKECA%2E%2E&yargs=www.q-sport.com). All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

BCWWF
05-03-2005, 08:22 PM
Sorry thats a little fucked up, but it copied like the whole website for some reason, thats as good as I could do it.

Second of all, I hope this girl gets her tits cut off. ITS A TEAM POLICY, JESUS CHRIST! If the football team lets seniors play JV, so be it, that doesn't mean every team has to. Second of all, the football team gets better buses because they are the only sport that generates any money and they are the only sport with real boosters. Quit your bitching, jesus woman.

Ruien
05-03-2005, 08:33 PM
Ya, I read that on espn. Not the whole thing, still not the whole eitheir. Look, if you suck, then you will not make it. Simple as that. Practice, get good, then you can make the team, and mabey get a friend or two along the way.

BCWWF
05-03-2005, 08:43 PM
I wrote a piece for a magazine my senior year about the state hockey tournament. In Minnesota, the high school hockey tournament is like the big deal. It sells out our NHL arena and everybody gets real into it.

So womens hockey started up a few years ago (I think mid 1990's) and they have moved up from a normal arena (where my high schools rivals played their home games) to a bigger place that isn't very nice (which they didn't sell out), then the University of Minnesota builds the Gopher women a state of the art hockey arena. Its not that big, but fits the crowds for Gopher women and state hockey tournament. (The girls still don't sell it out for their finals)

Now, the girls want to play in the NHL arena. I wrote my column about how it was poor economics and less exciting to play in an empty arena. Thats pretty much the same thing as this.

Jesus Shuttlesworth
05-03-2005, 09:27 PM
lol ridiculous

The Outlaw
05-04-2005, 07:28 PM
There is probably a pretty good explanation why the girls volleyball team travels to games on a shitty bus compared to a charter bus. It has to do with the football team bringing in x amount of dollars while the volleyball program brings in y amount of dollars. If you like the game, you don't care how you get to the place, you just want to play and are happy to be playing.

She could also do like a certain Chicago Bull did when he was cut by his HS coach his sophomore year and bust her ass practicing and getting better and try out the next year, make the team, and lead them to a state title game instead of suing.

The Outlaw
05-04-2005, 07:34 PM
Oh, just noticed it said she was a senior.

So, let me get this straight, she gets cut by the Varsity squad and wants to play for the JV squad? They would laugh a girl out of the gym if she tried that here. That isn't even legal here. As soon as you hit 10th grade, you are on Varsity level. If you are good as a 7/8/9th grader, you can be on both squads (I played as a 9th grader), but when you hit the sophomore year, you can't play on the JV squad.

What a moron...

YOUR Hero
05-04-2005, 08:27 PM
Unless there's something thins article is overlooking, she's simply acting out of anger and frustration. She has no case.

BCWWF
05-05-2005, 12:32 AM
The makeup of a football team is also much different then the makeup of a volleyball team.

Supermark101
05-05-2005, 01:38 AM
Title IX is all about being equael. It doesnt matter who brings in the money. As sad as it is, this girl may have a case about there being no JV team. Not real sure about the bus thing. Title IX is out dated, needs to go away or be changed. There are too many cases out there like this.

FYI: Title IX would never of passed had it not been a part of the Civil Rights Laws in the 60's. Who would vote against that. HA I'm smarter than u :p

BCWWF
05-05-2005, 01:41 AM
You misread the article. There is a JV volleyball team, they just don't allow senior to play on it. Its like that for many sports, but football is one where seniors can play on JV. She has no case because its the make up of the team, not some scam out to get her.

Supermark101
05-05-2005, 12:59 PM
You misread the article. There is a JV volleyball team, they just don't allow senior to play on it. Its like that for many sports, but football is one where seniors can play on JV. She has no case because its the make up of the team, not some scam out to get her.

Thats exactly my point. She does have a case. You can't have it set up one way for a boys team, and another for a girls team. It doesnt matter if they are out to get her. It has to be equal. Like I said before Title XI needs to go away or be changed.

Innovator
05-05-2005, 01:02 PM
Its not the Government's fault she can't cut it

PureHatred
05-05-2005, 02:29 PM
This makes no sense. But as has been pointed out, Title IX is pretty senseless at times. It's hard to determine whether the school is following policy or not. The article doesn't include some fairly relevant information.

-- is there a boys' volleyball team? if so, what are its policy on seniors on JV?

-- How are the vans/buses paid for? Does the school fott the bill or is it a separate booster's fund?

Basically, just reading this, your initial reaction is she's being a whiny bitch. But the way Title IX works, her grievance will have merit if its decided that volleyball is THE biggest athletic outlet at the school for females (which means it should have the same rule as footbll) and the school is paying for the football team's buses ( very unlikely. most schools these days know that's just asking for a lawsuit and their football teams raise funds on their own for stuff like chartered buses and equipmetn, etc).

More than likely, the school will change its policy to avoid any hint of unfairness and she'll spend a semester on the JV team beating on girls two years her junior.

On another note, if she's just very short..say 5' or so..and just wants to play on a volleyball team but her size makes it impossible for her to play varsity, I'm not sure why its a big deal. My own high school, there were lots of shorter guys who stayed on jv basketball and football through their senior years.

The Outlaw
05-06-2005, 02:14 AM
LOL seniors can play on the JV squad where you live?

That is pretty ridiculous. That is the first place where Senior football players can play on the JV squad. I would feel like a complete clown if I was 18 years old and playing with a bunch of 13-15 year olds.

This girl would get laughed out of the court room down here.

AlphaBean
05-08-2005, 01:47 AM
I read an article about how Title IX is actually working, as the University of Minnesota women's basketball team outdrew the men's by a long shot. What matters is winning. And schools whose teams win spend more money on their women's teams. The more you spend, the more attractive you are to top talent, the better you become, the more you draw.

Men's sports all started out as pick-up games in the parking lot, or whatever. The players all had full-time jobs. Nobody went to the games, but the leagues stuck around. They would merge, assimilate smaller fledgeling leagues, and by some stroke of luck they would succeed. Then, every once in a while, the sport would become bigger due to an extreme talent. There is a lot to be said about notoriety of individuals, pissing on the concept of a team sport. Without stars, there would be no pro sports.

BCWWF, you and I both know that before Lindsay Whalen :drool: there was no Minnesota women's basketball. And the Lynx will never succeed, because the management were so short-sighted and stupid that they wouldn't risk their future just for one star. You can build around a superstar. Honestly. Who wants to watch women's basketball when none of them are local? When Men's sports started, everyone was local. As it grew, recruiting grew.

While in my gut I hate having to hand things to women... I understand. It makes sense. And if we wait it out, it will be worth it in the longrun.

Because man, I loves me some Lindsay Whalen.

BCWWF
05-08-2005, 02:37 AM
The Gopher women were a big deal in Minnesota, no doubt about that, but I don't think its like that everywhere. I think Minnesota just actually did a good job for once, and it really paid off.

I don't know how you can be a fan of the Gopher men right now. They have no identity. Grier is real good, but the team is made up of a bunch of juco's from around the nation and the top white guys of the twins cities. I don't know what it is, if they aren't getting the right characters or what, but I am just not a fan of that program right now.

I agree completely with what you said about the women though. They have an identity, they were like the home grown girls (that sounds kind of bad) who played basketball the right way. They didn't need to go out and get thugs, they got the right girls who knew how to play the game. It paid off for them tremendously, I think a lot of it is because of the decline in the mens team, but a lot of it also should be attributed to great promotion to the younger women players and the alums. They took that program from schambles and made it into the pride of the University.

I guess that was more just my opinion of Gopher basketball, but as a whole I agree that good promotion could play a big part in it. I have the softball beat for the paper I work for, and really it is very entertaining. Our team is top 20 right now, and when you get that amount of talent it will be entertaining. For things like that it is more just getting people to show up to begin with.

Not really title 9, but why is there major college golf? There has got to be a sport better then that, and one that would bring in at least some money.

AlphaBean
05-13-2005, 01:25 AM
You don't play basketball at the country club, and I highly doubt that neurosurgeons want their children to play basketball, either.