PDA

View Full Version : Discussion about Triple H's backstage pull

The Naitch
05-19-2005, 08:31 PM
When he was a face, coming back to the WWF in 2001 after his quad injury, did he still get lots of heat from the smarks? Or even his days as a babyface leader of DX

Now people obviously can't stop complaining about the man behind the nose, but do you think if he turned face in a year, will your thoughts be different about him?

Ahh fuck it. I don't know what I'm talking about here. Carry on :shifty:

M. Banana
05-19-2005, 08:32 PM
No.

jerichoholic169
05-19-2005, 08:38 PM
its only since hes held the RAW title for the best part of the last three years and the fact that when he didn't it still seemed that the whole show was based around him. and he seemed to bury the likes of RVD and booker T when a title change was expected....yeah

Kane Knight
05-19-2005, 08:40 PM
When he was a face, coming back to the WWF in 2001 after his quad injury, did he still get lots of heat from the smarks? Or even his days as a babyface leader of DX

Now people obviously can't stop complaining about the man behind the nose, but do you think if he turned face in a year, will your thoughts be different about him?

Ahh fuck it. I don't know what I'm talking about here. Carry on :shifty:
People didn't give him this kind of heat in the DX days because he was still putting on entertaining matches, and his place at the top was not at the expense of the business.

Honestly, I don't care about backstage stuff until it affects me as a fan. Triple H affects me as a fan, because his politics have weakened wrestling. I don't think I'd appreciate him any more as the face that was helping to kill the business than I would now.

The Naitch
05-19-2005, 08:54 PM
nice one KK :y: That's what I'm talking about :naughty:

PullMyFinger
05-19-2005, 09:14 PM
People didn't give him this kind of heat in the DX days because he was still putting on entertaining matches, and his place at the top was not at the expense of the business.

Honestly, I don't care about backstage stuff until it affects me as a fan. Triple H affects me as a fan, because his politics have weakened wrestling. I don't think I'd appreciate him any more as the face that was helping to kill the business than I would now.
Yeah, same here. (It says I have to spread rep for you, sorry)

Kane Knight
05-19-2005, 09:31 PM
I have no doubt Triple H still COULD pull out some strong matches, but he's lazy and ego driven. Triple H was entertaining before his ego outgrew his nose. He wasn't the great micworker the Rock was, but he wasn't as bad on the mic as he is these days. There was some level of creativity. His matches weren't always 5 stars, but they were good enough.

Xero
05-19-2005, 10:09 PM
My opinion wouldn't change. I would probably cheer him, yeah, because when I watch, unless something sparks my interest quality/whatever-wise, or I really like a heel, I'm a mark and will cheer the faces and boo the heels. It's only after I watch that I start to think about backstage politics.

Triple H's promos, though. Even in my 'mark mode', I can't stand them... :nono:

Nark Order
05-20-2005, 12:03 AM
I enjoy Trips matches now simply because I love to hate him and cheer for the other guy. They're entertaining in the fact that I flip my lid everytime he pulls through.

Kane Knight
05-20-2005, 12:07 AM
I enjoy Trips matches now simply because I love to hate him and cheer for the other guy. They're entertaining in the fact that I flip my lid everytime he pulls through.
Really? I find the monotony to beat any level of outrage.

Dave Youell
05-20-2005, 06:36 AM
It really depends on how he's booked as a face.

Faces now days don't tend to have the lengthy title runs that there Heel counterparts do, mainly because there's more heat in the chase of the title than actually getting it.

IF Trips was booked in that kind of capacity I think it would be bareable, but he can't be chasing the title all the time, it wouldn't make sense and he can't hold it for more than a few months or it gets dull.

So the only way it would work is if he's willing to have *gasp!* Non title feuds! None of this is going to happen, but that's the only was it would work well IMO.

Plus there's also the fact that HHH was a rubbish face last time and didn't draw, if your a heel in theory the pressure is on the other guy to draw asn the fans want to tune in to watch him beat the heel, but it's gotten to the stage now when no cares about that heel in the first place

LK
05-20-2005, 12:23 PM
He was awful as a face last time. So if he became a face again, I would probably want to throw a brick at the TV when he is on even more.

Chavo Classic
05-20-2005, 01:35 PM

Thats the sad thing, i know so many people who have attended events and booed the guy because they legitimately hate what he has done to the business. However, that is often interpreted as heat for the character. Thus actually strengthening his role.

In other words, HHH goes stronger everytime we express our feelings in a live crowd. Alternative ways for expressing our true feelings such as on message boards and forums like these, which as we all known, are held in such low regard by wrestlers and the business itself (barring the odd exception of Lance Storm).

Of course, there are PPV buyrates and viewing figures for raw which influence the direction of the product. However, the rare occassion where HHH is not on a PPV means the WWE can't really compare a HHH included event to a non-HHH included event to gauge just how important the 'star of the show' is. Its a shame. I guess he's here to stay

Kane Knight
05-20-2005, 01:39 PM
Thats the sad thing, i know so many people who have attended events and booed the guy because they legitimately hate what he has done to the business. However, that is often interpreted as heat for the character. Thus actually strengthening his role.

In other words, HHH goes stronger everytime we express our feelings in a live crowd. Alternative ways for expressing our true feelings such as on message boards and forums like these, which as we all known, are held in such low regard by wrestlers and the business itself (barring the odd exception of Lance Storm).

Of course, there are PPV buyrates and viewing figures for raw which influence the direction of the product. However, the rare occassion where HHH is not on a PPV means the WWE can't really compare a HHH included event to a non-HHH included event to gauge just how important the 'star of the show' is. Its a shame. I guess he's here to stay
If (And this is a big IF) Triple H is not on the show for a few more eps and the ratings continue to do well, they can gague based on that. However, PPV rates are harder to gague for the reasons you've stated.

Chavo Classic
05-20-2005, 01:42 PM
Did we manage to find out the ratings for this weeks Raw?

further more, i think the real question is 'does the wwe realise what these ratings for a raw without HHH mean?'

Savio
05-20-2005, 01:49 PM
People should just chant boring.

Chavo Classic
05-20-2005, 01:52 PM
getting an entire crowd to behave silently and apathically always works best, but thats a hard task to achieved.

or... just do like KK says... watch what you like, don't watch what you don't like. Maybe we should just ignore the wwe altogether (a la manchester united fans with the malcolm glazer situation). I know its not a new idea but it seems to work.

Dave Youell
05-20-2005, 02:58 PM
People should just chant boring.
Take your hat, your coat and leave!

I thought that was fun in TNA

Kane Knight
05-20-2005, 03:47 PM
getting an entire crowd to behave silently and apathically always works best, but thats a hard task to achieved.

or... just do like KK says... watch what you like, don't watch what you don't like. Maybe we should just ignore the wwe altogether (a la manchester united fans with the malcolm glazer situation). I know its not a new idea but it seems to work.
Nice thought, but the one thing NEt fans seem to do more than complain is watch religiously. Honestly, the tendency to piss and moan about a product that you can't stop watching is more annoying than Triple H, partially because it enforces not only his position; but also the WWE's "net smark" argument.

I'm a strong advocate of "Don't watch what you don't like" and will tune out when I don't like something. I just wish more of the "hardcore" fans would do the same.

Dave Youell
05-20-2005, 06:01 PM
Nice thought, but the one thing NEt fans seem to do more than complain is watch religiously. Honestly, the tendency to piss and moan about a product that you can't stop watching is more annoying than Triple H, partially because it enforces not only his position; but also the WWE's "net smark" argument.

I'm a strong advocate of "Don't watch what you don't like" and will tune out when I don't like something. I just wish more of the "hardcore" fans would do the same.
That also explains why WWE tend not to cater for those Net fans because they know that the majority will watch regardless of what happens, i know I do.

So alot of they stuff they do is aimed at attracting new fans rather than keeping the hardcore happy as they know they won't lose them

Kane Knight
05-20-2005, 07:41 PM
Duh.

vampiro03
05-20-2005, 08:24 PM
I hate the fact that they brought all the old wcw stars in, just to get destroyed by hhh and leave. I'm so glad that Sting didn't go to wwe. heres how it would play out:
sting would come in (of course they would change his character) talk a little trash and get a match at the next ppv. ppv comes, sting looks like hes got hhh beat..... but wait heres evolution. the ref goes down...hhh wins!! next 2 ppv's EXACTLY the same, then Sting would leave. this happend with
Big Papa Pump (who should NEVER be a face!!!!!!)
Goldberg
Kevin Nash
Booker T (the only one who didn't leave)