PDA

View Full Version : The Wrestling Nostalgia Thread

Anybody Thrilla
05-20-2005, 01:27 PM
Oh how I long for the good old days of wrestling.

Remember when...

* Slapping hands with the crowd was instant face heat?
* Certain matches would be billed as "worth the price of admission alone"?
* It was illegal to throw people over the top rope in WCW?
* Nick Patrick made the first ref heel turn?
* Or does that honor actually belong to Danny Davis?
* Vader had a helmet that smoked and was awesome?

Not much point to this thread, but feel free to add your own.

Loose Cannon
05-20-2005, 01:39 PM
Yea, it was Davis and after that it was Dave Hebner. As far as the big companies go.

Remeber when you actually knew when PPV's were.

when tag team wrestling rules wrestling

Chavo Classic
05-20-2005, 01:40 PM
Todd Petingill's banter
When a shot with a steel chair was serious
When the pyro displays were lame
Steroids

SuperSlim
05-20-2005, 01:44 PM
moves off the tope rope were really awesome.
there were actual wins by count-out
mid card wrestling was awesome

Anybody Thrilla
05-20-2005, 01:49 PM
* They gave away a house at the first In Your House
* In Your House was only 2 hours and fifteen bucks
* Alex "The Pug" Porteau existed

Xero
05-20-2005, 01:50 PM
I remember when almost every match had a time limit.

Chavo Classic
05-20-2005, 01:55 PM
There were only five PPVs in a year
Ric Flair didn't have boobs
A ladder match wasn't a spot exhibition
I cared

SuperSlim
05-20-2005, 01:56 PM
there were more storylines.
the intercontinental champion was deemed as a top contender for the world title
the world title was credible
The IC title was credible

LK
05-20-2005, 02:07 PM
HHH promos didn't make you want to kill yourself

PorkSoda
05-20-2005, 02:43 PM
Remember when...

Paul Bearrer only had 1 chin....
Wrestlers woulden't bleed every other week

Chavo Classic
05-20-2005, 02:56 PM
UT was ginger
Sunny was hot
Jarrett was a country singer
BJ James was another country singer
Triple H feuded with a trash collector (LOL!)

Chavo Classic
05-20-2005, 02:57 PM
UT was ginger
Sunny was hot
Jarrett was a country singer
BG James was another country singer
Triple H feuded with a trash collector (LOL!)

Gerard
05-20-2005, 02:58 PM
The IYH ppv sets looked like complete shit (ppv was in your house so naturally the set resembled outside the house) :wtf:

SuperSlim
05-20-2005, 02:59 PM
Bob Hiolly was a racer - Bob "Spark Plug" Holly
HHH jobbed in under 2 minutes at a WrestleMania
HHH wrestled in a hog pin

Gerard
05-20-2005, 03:02 PM
Wasn't hollys name as the racer "sparky thurmann plugg" or something like that? I remember on wrestlecrap the names initials ended up being STP.

Anybody Thrilla
05-20-2005, 03:08 PM
Yeah, then he changed it to Thurman "Sparky" Plugg...then he changed it to Bob "Spark Plugg" Holly...then he kicked Matt Cappotelli in the face because he was young.

Chavo Classic
05-20-2005, 03:10 PM
Yeah, then he changed it to Thurman "Sparky" Plugg...then he changed it to Bob "Spark Plugg" Holly...then he kicked Matt Cappotelli in the face because he was young.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

...a demise only paralleled by that of Perry 'don't mention the mop' Saturn

Anybody Thrilla
05-20-2005, 03:11 PM
"You're welcome!"

Supermark101
05-20-2005, 03:20 PM
being able to go to a show once a week not once a year
marking out for a hot tag
getting exicted on Mondays
being able to watch wrestling for 8 strait hours saturday nights and LOVE IT

Anybody Thrilla
05-20-2005, 03:21 PM
Hey Supermark, what the fuck are you talking about?

SuperSlim
05-20-2005, 03:28 PM
I think he high

Supermark101
05-20-2005, 03:32 PM
being able to go to a show once a week not once a year
marking out for a hot tag
getting exicted on Mondays
being able to watch wrestling for 8 strait hours saturday nights and LOVE IT

I grew up in Kansas in the middle of the old Central States Territory. I would go to one, sometimes two show a week. Now I'm lucky if the WWE comes once a year. There are some shitty indies, but its not the same.

I would always get into tag matches. When the faces would make a hot tag I would go crazy.

I used to be exicted on mondays because of RAW and NITRO. Now I'm just like meh.

Where I lived you could watch the NWA show on TBS. Then on a different channel you could watch 6 more hours Mid South/UWF, GLOW :D, WWF and Central States. Good Times

Anybody Thrilla
05-20-2005, 03:35 PM
Ah. That's more like it.

And 8 hours is a LOT of fucking wrestling for one night.

SuperSlim
05-20-2005, 03:36 PM
I remember on Saturdays I would watch like 4 or 5 hours of wrestling like it was nothing. I mean it was all good. Now 2 hours is pushin it.

Anybody Thrilla
05-20-2005, 03:39 PM
I don't even remember what TV looks like on Saturdays now, but it was the shit back in the day.

BTW, is there a rule is wrestling where you're only allowed to stand on the top rope for ten seconds or something? And if you're there longer than that, are you disqualified? Did it USED to be a rule, but it's not applicable anymore?

Supermark101
05-20-2005, 03:43 PM
It wouldn't surpise me if there was, at one time somewhere. I never saw it.

Xero
05-20-2005, 03:45 PM
I don't even remember what TV looks like on Saturdays now, but it was the shit back in the day.

BTW, is there a rule is wrestling where you're only allowed to stand on the top rope for ten seconds or something? And if you're there longer than that, are you disqualified? Did it USED to be a rule, but it's not applicable anymore?
Well, they do count them while they're on the rope sometimes, but I believe that it's been lowered to a five count, much like illegal choke holds and the like are counted for five.

Speaking of which, I remember when they actually DQed people for not breaking a hold and when they actually did break it before five. Just recently, I believe Triple H was choking the Hurricane and the ref got to five, stopped, and RECOUNTED. Usually they'll get to four like a 'threat' and recount, but he went to five. :nono:

Anybody Thrilla
05-20-2005, 03:50 PM
Wasn't that a no DQ match, though?

Xero
05-20-2005, 03:53 PM
No, it was only a handicapped match. Although I could be wrong and maybe it wasn't the handicapped match. But I know it happened recently and I'm pretty sure that it involved Triple H.

Xero
05-20-2005, 03:54 PM
Shit, double post, sorry.

Anybody Thrilla
05-20-2005, 03:57 PM
Seriously though, does ANYBODY remember Alex "The Pug" Porteau? He was around at the same time as guys like Aldo Montoya, Avatar, and Salvatore Sincere.

XL
05-20-2005, 04:12 PM
I remember when we were presented with guys like this...
http://img48.echo.cx/img48/5486/abeknuckleballschwartzstevelom.jpg
http://img48.echo.cx/img48/4994/damiandementophilliptheis014gb.jpg
http://img48.echo.cx/img48/3100/manmountainrockdaryllpeterson0.jpg
http://img48.echo.cx/img48/5336/newbooger540xh.jpg
http://img48.echo.cx/img48/4324/muppets2ra.jpg
and didn't blink an eye (i.e. bitch on here)

OK, Vince never hired the last ones but still...they're about as useful as the guys that preceeded them in the post!

Anybody Thrilla
05-20-2005, 04:15 PM
Rep to whoever correctly guesses Damien Demento's "home town".

Supermark101
05-20-2005, 04:16 PM
Seriously though, does ANYBODY remember Alex "The Pug" Porteau? He was around at the same time as guys like Aldo Montoya, Avatar, and Salvatore Sincere.

Salvatore Sincere :rofl:
That a loser. He quit because he didnt like his family and friends watching him do jobs.

I barly remember "the pug." Not very memorable. I can only remember him being on TV a few times. Not memorable like "The Thug." What was Tony Anthony's gimmick? I cant remember the name. He was a plummer, but that is all I can remember. Dam Vince and come up with some stupid shit.

Well, they do count them while they're on the rope sometimes, but I believe that it's been lowered to a five count, much like illegal choke holds and the like are counted for five.

Didnt think about it like that.

Anybody Thrilla
05-20-2005, 04:19 PM
Tony Anthony = T.L. Hopper

Supermark101
05-20-2005, 04:29 PM

Parts Unknown ????

Wasnt it something "in demincha" or something? My memory for that time is bad. Maybe thats a good thing.

Anybody Thrilla
05-20-2005, 04:30 PM
Nope, not quite. I'll phrase it differently. Where was Damien Demento "from"?

Supermark101
05-20-2005, 04:31 PM

Long Island, NY :lol:

Anybody Thrilla
05-20-2005, 04:32 PM
<s>That is correct.</s>

NO

Anybody Thrilla
05-20-2005, 04:33 PM
Remember when T.L. Hopper ate that turd at the Summerslam Free-For-All?

Supermark101
05-20-2005, 04:35 PM
Remember when T.L. Hopper ate that turd at the Summerslam Free-For-All?

:( YES :rant: :mad:

Supermark101
05-20-2005, 04:37 PM
Who played the "The Goon"

Anybody Thrilla
05-20-2005, 04:39 PM
I forget that dude's name, but he had the dumbest finisher of all time.

Rep for anyone who can correctly guess what that finisher was.

Supermark101
05-20-2005, 04:43 PM
I forget that dude's name, but he had the dumbest finisher of all time.

Rep for anyone who can correctly guess what that finisher was.

GOONIE SLAM :nono:

I cant remember him ever getting a win though.

The One
05-20-2005, 04:54 PM

From the Outer Reaches of Your Mind.

I still remember...

*The "I Still Remember" angle that went no where... :shifty (sorry too easy)

When I would train for 3 or 4 hours a day, go work out for 2 hours, only to come home and watch wrestling all night. Good times.

Marc the Smark
05-20-2005, 06:07 PM
Remember...

(if you were a kid back then), waking up early on Saturday mornings to watch the wrestling cartoon? Then trying to stay up late on Saturday nights to watch Saturday Night's Main Event?

when TNT was a WWF tv show?

the angle with the Hebner twins on The Main Event?

the Flair/Steamboat matches in the NWA in 1989?

Black Saturday?

waiting for Rusty Brooks, Steve Gatorwolf and Iron Mike Sharpe to get a push? :shifty:

Innovator
05-20-2005, 06:34 PM
-When a chairshot to the back on the outside ended Tatanka's undefeated streak.

-Johnny Polo

-Regardless of how bad your gimmick was, if you were a face you'd get cheered just for slapping hands

-You remember perennial jobber Jim Powers

-Storylines were based around wrestling

The One
05-20-2005, 06:38 PM
I will say this...I remember and miss the Horsemen...those without doubt where the best 3 years of wrestling I ever watched in my eyes. Even though I was young and by all rights one of the biggest marks (except for some reason I always hated Hogan...) still I LOVED the Horsemen, Ric Flair is and will always be God in my eyes. I mean they had all the money, all the gold, and all the women, who couldn't love them. Plus Tully is a fucking wrestling GOD...I mean that I am willing to bet that he is somehow related to the high overload of the universe.

vampiro03
05-20-2005, 10:19 PM
remember ted dibiase before he was a millionare?
remember Don "the rock" Murracco?
I remember watching hulk hogan beat the iron sheik for the title at my uncles house. thats when I got hooked. I also remember Nakita Koloff god he was awesome. magnum t.a. yes I liked wrestling before stupid story line based shows. when the only time you saw the wrestlers was when they were cutting a promo or at the ppv. I miss the jobbers that wrestled every non ppv. barry horrowitz was the most famous jobber.lol vince tried to give an actual jobber a push. wow.

Gertner
05-20-2005, 10:24 PM
- when i could watch smokey mountain wrestling and USWA wrestling sunday afternoon

- When Bret Hart feuded with Jean Pierre Lafeete and Jean stole Bret's jacket

- Gang Warfare!

Anybody Thrilla
05-21-2005, 12:35 PM
From the Outer Reaches of Your Mind.

There it is.

And for the record, the Goon's finisher went as follows...

He'd get his opponent outside of the ring and leave him dazed against the ring apron. He himself would go down the aisle a bit and run full speed into his opponent, "body checking" him and rendering him unconscious while he crawled back into the ring to win via count out.

I'm sorry, but that's the dumbest fucking finisher in the history of dumb fucking finishers.

One more question...when people started talking about jobbers, I know that "Jumping" Jim Brunzell was one of the Killer Bees...who was the other one?

The One
05-21-2005, 12:38 PM
B. Brian Blair

SuperSlim
05-21-2005, 12:42 PM
the Goon's finisher sounds like an inring version of Monty's POOOOOOOOOOOOOOOUUUUUNNNNNCCCCEEEEEEEE UH.

:lol:

Anybody Thrilla
05-21-2005, 12:52 PM
B. Brian Blair

Did he have some fantastic alliteration with his name such as "Jumping" Jim? Maybe "Bouncing" Brian?

And for the record, I don't know what The Pounce is, because TNA fucking blows. Care to elaborate on it?

The One
05-21-2005, 01:15 PM
No...he did not have "Bouncing"...

And as for what the POOOOOOOOUNCE is...

First you know that TNA uses a six sided ring correct? Well if you didn't before you do now. Anyway he throws his oponite into the ropes, and then he himself runs into the ropes closest. He then does a shoulder block but not directly on, it's more that he hits them from the side, and they go flying. It is a peice of shit finisher, but it looks nasty if someone sells it as such. (I have seen people go flying over the top rope when selling it.) But no seriously it's a shitty ass finisher.

Anybody Thrilla
05-21-2005, 01:31 PM
And he actually pins people after that? Is it kinda like a spear then, but a shoulder block?

Nark Order
05-21-2005, 01:39 PM
I remember when the Repoman stole some kids bike claiming that the kids dad owed him money. :D

Nark Order
05-21-2005, 01:44 PM
Also.

I remember when Savio Vega was near main event status.

I remember when the "Heart Punch" was a devistating finisher.

I remember when Paul Beaarer was attacked by a fan for mentioning Kane.

I remember the Blackjacks (Rep for anyone who can name both members)

I remember the Godwinns being one of the most dominating tag teams ever.

I remember Papa Shango making Warrior vomit.

I remember when Jerry 'The King' Lawlrer got his own midgets to take on Doink's midgets.

So much more I remember...

Anybody Thrilla
05-21-2005, 01:51 PM
The Blackjacks or the New Blackjacks?

The New Blackjacks where Bradshaw and Windham.

The old Blackjacks were Mulligan and somebody or maybe not.

Anybody Thrilla
05-21-2005, 01:52 PM
Remember when Papa Shango set that dude's feet on fire?

Nark Order
05-21-2005, 01:55 PM
The Blackjacks or the New Blackjacks?

The New Blackjacks where Bradshaw and Windham.

The old Blackjacks were Mulligan and somebody or maybe not.
I was refferring to the Blackjack but I'll give you rep for The New Blackjacks. Forgot about them.

Nark Order
05-21-2005, 01:56 PM
I have to spread my rep first. Remember that I owe you one.

The One
05-21-2005, 02:59 PM
The Original Blackjacks = Blackjack Lanza & Blackjack Mulligan

The New Blackjacks = Blackjack Windham & Blackjack Bradshaw

Other note worthy Blackjacks...
Blackjack Black, Blackjack Phoenix, Blackjack Luca, Blackjack Slade, Blackjack Marciano, and Blackjack Mulligan II (UK terratory wrestler).

Enough Blackjacks for ya?

Anybody Thrilla
05-21-2005, 03:10 PM
Blackjack Doink was one, right?

SuperSlim
05-21-2005, 03:15 PM
No...he did not have "Bouncing"...

And as for what the POOOOOOOOUNCE is...

First you know that TNA uses a six sided ring correct? Well if you didn't before you do now. Anyway he throws his oponite into the ropes, and then he himself runs into the ropes closest. He then does a shoulder block but not directly on, it's more that he hits them from the side, and they go flying. It is a peice of shit finisher, but it looks nasty if someone sells it as such. (I have seen people go flying over the top rope when selling it.) But no seriously it's a shitty ass finisher.

yeh I know what the Pounce is. I was just referring to it in a more generic sense.

I mean you see some jobber guy riunnin at someone and ramming into them. then you also have this supposed "main eventer" ramming into somebody.

I mean I know the difference in not only where they hit but how they hit but looking at it from a general sense I see it real funny how that could be done.

and yeah I rank The Pounce as one of the top crapiest finishers. The only one I can think of that's worse is the standing F-U by Cena. If he doesn't go down with it then it really looks crappy. I'm sure there are other crappy finishers but I can't think of any right now.

BUt I do remember Papa Shango puttin some spell on the Warrior that caused him to puke all over the place back stage. That was freaky for me as akid.

Anybody Thrilla
05-21-2005, 03:27 PM
He was explaining The Pounce to me, because I didn't know what it was.

And why do people say it like 'POOOOOOOOOUNCE'? Does he yell that or something?

The One
05-21-2005, 04:44 PM
Yeah...I don't think even the announces can simply say Pounce...

Normally it takes him a good 4 or 5 seconds to say Pounce. Cause it's time to hit...the....POOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOUNCE-uh! And he just sounds so god damn full of shit (literally) when he does it that it becomes commical.

SuperSlim
05-21-2005, 04:57 PM
wait wait here is how it's delivered. A Monty Brown Promo. He is now feuding with Abyss in this one.

ABYSS! Welcome to the Serengity. You a monster? I'm a monster in the Serengity. I rule tis jungle. I am the Alpha MALE! And when the time comes. And when the dust is all cleared. Abyss you WILL... FEEL.. THE...

POOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO UNCE-uh... PERIOD!

That's your typica Monty Brown Promo. there is usually more about osme nonsense or whatever.

The One
05-21-2005, 05:00 PM
Anyone remember his promo against Trytan...oh lord I thought I was going to pee myself I was laughing so hard. And he is so fucking serious when he does it. He thinks he is giving a good promo... :lol:

darkpower
05-21-2005, 05:23 PM
- The Corperate Ministry (The Corperation, headed by Shane McMahon, merged with the Undertaker's Ministry, and this was at the VERY first SmackDown, the special they ran on April 1999, I think the month was).
- The Casket Matches (there were a bunch of them back in the day)
- The Brian Pillman gun incident.
- Mick Foley as Mankind and Goldust is his "mommy"
- The Big Bossman vs. Nailz feud
- Jim Cornette's rants
- Livewire (when they actually took callers)
- The Slammy Awards
- WWF Superstars late night on Saturday on a local TV station (1:00 AM, actually, on WTRF).

A taste of the MANY I remember

nelioneil
05-21-2005, 07:44 PM
Doink's heel turn :D

vampiro03
05-21-2005, 08:01 PM
the dumbest finisher is a ko punch I first saw used by Ronnie Garvin and then by Tank Abbott. and "Hacksaw" Jim Duggan used a sholder block as a finisher for years. :rofl:

Anybody Thrilla
05-22-2005, 01:15 PM
Didn't Ron Garvin have a finisher where he would walk around and simply stomp on live five parts of his opponent's body and then pin them? That was pretty fucking terrible. Actually, Ron Garvin was pretty fucking terrible.

Anybody Thrilla
05-22-2005, 01:15 PM
Also for the record, Monty Brown sounds like a retard, but he's too current to discuss any further in this thread.

Chavo Classic
05-22-2005, 02:15 PM
I remember when Jerry 'The King' Lawlrer got his own midgets to take on Doink's midgets.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Survivor Series '94. What a horrible excuse for a match. Reps avaiable for naming Doink's 3 midgets and Jerry's 3 midgets.

HankScorpio
05-22-2005, 02:18 PM
Dink, Pink & Wink. I can't remember Jerry's right now

EDIT. Cheesey, Sleazy & Queasy

Chavo Classic
05-22-2005, 02:22 PM
Lol, and they each had different coloured hair in respects to their name. Pink had a pink top, Wink was Blue I think, and the other was Yellow.

I might get that video out and watch it later with a cup of mushroom tea and see how freaked out i get.

Anybody Thrilla
05-22-2005, 02:25 PM
Remember that Survivor Series where Owen made his original heel turn? Bret Hart, Owen Hart, Bruce Hart, and Keith Hart versus Shawn Michaels and the knights? Funny thing is, Jerry Lawler was originally supposed to be in that match, but Shawn Michaels just filled in for no apparent reason. Does anybody know why Lawler didn't work that match?

Nark Order
05-22-2005, 02:30 PM
I believe he had affairs in Memphis if I remember correctly because I wondered why he wasn't there either.

Anybody Thrilla
05-22-2005, 02:38 PM
Here's one...

Remember when Eddie Guerrero used to make Chavo wear that t-shirt that said "EDDIE GUERRERO IS MY FAVORITE WRESTLER"? That was hilarious.

Nark Order
05-22-2005, 02:41 PM
I do. That was awesome.

Kane Knight
05-22-2005, 02:48 PM
Remeber when you actually cared when PPV's were.
Much better.

Remember when feuds were given attention, and the Eddie-Rey feud would have been standard for the course?

Remember when Michaels could go 2 months without a crimson mask?

Remember when there was a reason to put on a good show?

Remember when wrestlers weren't as lazy?

Remember when stables were new, and we didn't have to hear people asking for a DX reunion every couple of weeks?

Kane Knight
05-22-2005, 02:50 PM
Remember GTV? That shit rocked. I wish it had been continued to its end.

Nark Order
05-22-2005, 03:04 PM
I hated how we never figured out who was behind it.

Does anyone know who it was supposed to be? I thought it was Goldust but they continued it after Goldust wasn't with the company anymore. Anyone know?

The One
05-22-2005, 05:13 PM
Originally it was GDTV (GoldDust TV) and the man behind it was Goldust, then he was gone and they continued it for a little while though dropped it pretty soon there after, then ocne he came back to WWE again they started up with it once again and he left so there it went out the window along with I Still Remember...

Anybody Thrilla
05-22-2005, 09:11 PM
Remember Jerry Flynn?

vampiro03
05-22-2005, 09:56 PM
remember when goldust had matt morgans current character? goldust got shoked, morgan is just stupid

Chavo Classic
05-23-2005, 03:21 PM
remember when goldust had matt morgans current character? goldust got shoked, morgan is just stupid

Or when the Dudleys stuttered in the WWF? What the fuck was that about. One day they stop wearing braces and Bubba stops stuttering. Tell Vince to look up a word called continuity.

Disturbed316
05-23-2005, 03:24 PM
When IRS pounded Beefcake in the face with the briefcase and everyone was :eek: :'(

KillerWolf
05-23-2005, 04:11 PM
the darkest reaches of your mind

Anybody Thrilla
05-23-2005, 04:49 PM
The Outer Reaches of Your Mind, but we've already covered that.

Fox
05-23-2005, 10:34 PM
Remember Glacier? Meng? When Mike Awesome was the "Fat chick thriller"?

Remember when Kane set JR's back on fire? Now that he's a face, I wonder if JR will feel sympathetic for him after Lita turned on him. If so, what the fuck?

Remember when we got to see some bad ass cruiserweight matches? It didn't matter - Nitro or Thunder or even Saturday Night, you were gauranteed at least one great cruiserweight lucha libre style match. Crazy mexicans in masks, flying around the ring, doing tilt a whirl backbreakers and 360 planchas. Wonderful stuff.

Remember the Booker T/Austin grocery store fight? Why don't they do cool shit like that anymore?

Anybody Thrilla
05-24-2005, 10:30 AM
Super Calo

The Gooch
05-24-2005, 11:27 AM
Remember when the WWF could make its fans cry. I'm thinking Macho Man/Liz reunion. There were a few other occasions as well when the cameras panned the audience you could see people crying. Unbelievable.

Remember when you watched Saturday Night Main Event and were primed just because it wasn't a maineventer vs. a jobber affair.

When you hated Bobby Heenan, but always knew in your heart that you would never want him to leave.

Rick Rude spray painted Jake the Snakes "sister"(?) on his tights.

Undertaker, Kamala & Abdullah the Butcher scared the living fuck out of you.

The Bezerker. No, not the Atari game, the wrestler.

You actually thought a title would change hands at the houseshow you went to.

Xero
05-24-2005, 01:29 PM
I remember when Goldust was a fucked up freak. And I don't mean his last WWE run, either.

James Steele
05-24-2005, 01:56 PM
I hated how we never figured out who was behind it.

Does anyone know who it was supposed to be? I thought it was Goldust but they continued it after Goldust wasn't with the company anymore. Anyone know?
I actually think they were going to have it be Shawn Stasiak.

SuperSlim
05-24-2005, 01:56 PM
ohhh yeah I remember those GOldust days. he was real real freaky

Supermark101
05-24-2005, 03:11 PM
Super Calo

Wasnt that Brad Armstrong? I cant remember what all the gimmicks he used.
Rep to anyone who can tell me what gimmick Armstrong used at starrcade 91.

Where is my rep? I knew the name of the Goon's finish, THE GOONIE SLAM. I just couldnt remember what it was exactly. U got to give me partical credit.

Supermark101
05-24-2005, 03:16 PM
Abdullah the Butcher scared the living fuck out of you.

Abdullah really did scared me. I'll never forget being in the front row, and watching Abdullah vs. Bruiser Brody. Good Times

gorak
05-24-2005, 03:34 PM
ok a bit late ...... but Bastion Booger was like gross/funny when i was way younger .... SAD !

ps . who is / was Damien Demento in real life ?

The Gooch
05-24-2005, 03:46 PM
Who played the "The Goon"

Bill Irwin played The Goon. He used to wrestle with his brother Scott in International Wrestling out of Montreal. Funny story about Bill Irwin, my first wrestling event ever my brother and I land ringside front row seats for International Wrestling. I was going into grade 8 and he grade 10 at the time. The Irwin Brothers were the tag-team champs (I total forget what their names were, but they had a cowboy gimmick). Anyhow, the Rougeau brothers (I believe it was a dropkick from Jacques) knocked Bill out of the ring and his momentum carried him over the rail right in front of my brother and I. My brother instictively brought up his hands and pushed Bill in the back away from us. Bill turned around and started screaming at him. My brother turned so fucking white, I swear he was going to piss himself. He was so scared. Then all the surrounding fans started telling Bill off so we were like mini-heros. It was so cool. My first live event and we had amazing seats and were part of the show.

Anybody Thrilla
05-24-2005, 04:29 PM
I really don't think Brad Armstrong was Super Calo. Super Calo was the cruiserweight with the hat and sunglasses that never fell off.

Remember when Brad Armstrong was Buzzkill, though?

Xero
05-24-2005, 04:37 PM
I remember the dog poop match...

Michael Cole: THE DOG POOP! THE DOG POOP! ROCK BOTTOM INTO... INTO THE DOG POOP!

Anybody Thrilla
05-24-2005, 04:42 PM
Hey, remember at Summerslam 97, I believe it was, when all the people in the Hart Foundation had matches excpet for Jim Neidhart? Jim Neidhart said that if any of the Hart's lost at that PPV, he would shave his beard.

I know that Owen lost at least. And I know that he didn't shave his beard.

On a related note, remember when The British Bulldog and Ken Shamrock had that Dog Food Match (same PPV, I believe)? The loser was supposed to eat dog food or some shit. Shamrock lost and started going apeshit. I believe that was when the whole "GET OUTTA MY WAY!" thing started.

Supermark101
05-24-2005, 05:31 PM
I remember the dog poop match...

Michael Cole: THE DOG POOP! THE DOG POOP! ROCK BOTTOM INTO... INTO THE DOG POOP!

Must erase memory. :lol:

Bill Irwin played The Goon. He used to wrestle with his brother Scott in International Wrestling out of Montreal. Funny story about Bill Irwin, my first wrestling event ever my brother and I land ringside front row seats for International Wrestling. I was going into grade 8 and he grade 10 at the time. The Irwin Brothers were the tag-team champs (I total forget what their names were, but they had a cowboy gimmick). Anyhow, the Rougeau brothers (I believe it was a dropkick from Jacques) knocked Bill out of the ring and his momentum carried him over the rail right in front of my brother and I. My brother instictively brought up his hands and pushed Bill in the back away from us. Bill turned around and started screaming at him. My brother turned so fucking white, I swear he was going to piss himself. He was so scared. Then all the surrounding fans started telling Bill off so we were like mini-heros. It was so cool. My first live event and we had amazing seats and were part of the show.

Rep to anyone who knons how Scott Irwin Died.

I really don't think Brad Armstrong was Super Calo. Super Calo was the cruiserweight with the hat and sunglasses that never fell off.

Remember when Brad Armstrong was Buzzkill, though?

I remember who he was. Brad Armstrong played many different masked characters. I think it was him. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

I try not to.

Supermark101
05-24-2005, 06:00 PM
Hey, remember at Summerslam 97, I believe it was, when all the people in the Hart Foundation had matches excpet for Jim Neidhart? Jim Neidhart said that if any of the Hart's lost at that PPV, he would shave his beard.

I know that Owen lost at least. And I know that he didn't shave his beard.

I do remember that. He said during the Free for All..right. Brian Pillman also lost that night to Goldust. He didnt shave the beard. I cant remember how they got out of it though.

The One
05-24-2005, 06:04 PM
Scott Irwin died of a brain tumor.

Zen v.W.o.
05-24-2005, 06:14 PM
I do remember that. He said during the Free for All..right. Brian Pillman also lost that night to Goldust. He didnt shave the beard. I cant remember how they got out of it though.

Well Owen lost to Austin, but if Austin had lost he was to kiss Owens ass. Nothing was to happen to Owen. Bret won..Pillman lost and had to wear Marlena's really small dresses. Bulldog either got dq'd or lost but still stuffed dog food in shammy's face and mouth..then shammy snapped.
So Yeah, Jim reneged on his promise.:)
But I cant imagine Jim without the beard. YEAH BABY YEAH!! :y:

redoneja
05-24-2005, 08:13 PM
I remember the Bezerker!!! I remember his finisher was weird....he would pick a guy up for a back suplex and then toss him over the ropes to get counted out.

Anyone remember when wrestlers actually respected and listened to authority figures?
When the 1-2-3 Kid beat Razor Ramon on Raw?
The Mr Perfect face turn?
The Dungeon of Doom?
Dave "Evad" Sullivan?
When Ray Combs(from Family Feud) was ring announcer at Wrestlemainia VIII.....

Combs-"Here we have The Mountie, ladies and gentlemen, The Mountie. When we asked the survey to 100 people they said that The Mountie is a man who doesn't know the meaning of the word fear.....but then again there's alot of words he doesn't know the meaning to. Next, we have the Repo Man. The survey said....if they called him Two-Faced he must be wearing the other one right now. Seriously, when he was born his parents were hoping for a boy. Finally we have the Nasty Boys. According to the survey, the Success of the Nasty Boys can be summed up in one word.....Lucky!"

Finally, at Wrestlemainia VIII(again) when Bobby Heenan asked Gorilla Monsoon if he knew how Paul Bearer got the urn, Monsoon asked how and Heenan, in one of my favorite lines replied," Why the old fashioned way- he URNed it!!!"

Anybody Thrilla
05-24-2005, 09:03 PM
Remember how dull and worthless Jack Tunney was?

Remember when Hawk fell off the Titan Tron?

Remember the "No Hitting in the Face" match?

redoneja
05-24-2005, 09:08 PM
Yes the No hitting in the face match took place at Summerslam 1992 between Shawn Michaels and Ric Martel. Ended in a double dq or draw when they hit each other in the face.

The Gooch
05-25-2005, 07:50 AM
Remember when Flair joined the WWF and all you ever thought of was Hogan vs. Flair. I was so pissed that it never happened.

On a not so nice note, remember when being non-white meant you had to be a heel. My how we progressed.

Shawn+Marty+Superkick+Window

King Kong Bundy slamming Little Beaver at WM III(or was it II)

All the Midgets.

Marc the Smark
05-25-2005, 08:29 AM
King Kong Bundy slamming Little Beaver at WM III(or was it II)

It was III. Eugene told me :shifty:

Gerard
05-25-2005, 03:01 PM
There it is.

And for the record, the Goon's finisher went as follows...

He'd get his opponent outside of the ring and leave him dazed against the ring apron. He himself would go down the aisle a bit and run full speed into his opponent, "body checking" him and rendering him unconscious while he crawled back into the ring to win via count out.

I'm sorry, but that's the dumbest fucking finisher in the history of dumb fucking finishers.

:lol:

SOLE SURVIVOR
05-26-2005, 09:01 PM
Remember that Survivor Series where Owen made his original heel turn? Bret Hart, Owen Hart, Bruce Hart, and Keith Hart versus Shawn Michaels and the knights? Funny thing is, Jerry Lawler was originally supposed to be in that match, but Shawn Michaels just filled in for no apparent reason. Does anybody know why Lawler didn't work that match?

he was up in court on xcharges of having relations with a minor, it was thrown out of court for lack of evidence, so he could not compete at the event due to the case and HBK was thrown in.

Bad Company
05-26-2005, 09:29 PM
IYH: A cold day in hell... I just brought that on VHS for $3 :D

Anybody Thrilla
05-27-2005, 12:20 PM
Remember VHS tapes?

HankScorpio
05-27-2005, 12:24 PM
Shawn+Marty+Superkick+Window

Can anyone tell me what happened? I've only heard a couple of things about this, was it a push/jump/shoot? why?

redoneja
05-27-2005, 12:25 PM
Yeah, I have a few hundred of them filled with wrestling.....good times.

Anybody Thrilla
05-27-2005, 12:40 PM
Can anyone tell me what happened? I've only heard a couple of things about this, was it a push/jump/shoot? why?

It was the Rockers official break up on Brutus "The Barber" Beefcake's segment, The Barber Shop.

Going strictly from memory, it went down sorta like this.

The Rockers had been going through some rocky times and a bit of a losing streak. There was obvious antimosity between them, but it didn't seem like something that they wouldn't eventually get over.

Brutus Beefcake had them both as guests on the show, and they started doing an interview. One thing led to another, and Shawn Michaels stepped back and popped Jannetty a superkick on the chin. He then picked him up and through him through a 'window' which was a part of the Barbershop set. This led to Heenan's famous "What a coward Jannetty is! He jumped through the window!" quote.

It was the beginning of the Heartbreak Kid.

Anybody who wishes to further elaborate, please do.

HankScorpio
05-27-2005, 12:43 PM
thanks Thrilla

Marc the Smark
05-28-2005, 11:53 AM
http://www.obsessedwithwrestling.com/pictures/m/mikeshaw/10.jpg

http://www.obsessedwithwrestling.com/pictures/m/mikeshaw/18.jpg

http://www.obsessedwithwrestling.com/pictures/m/mikeshaw/05.jpg

Marc the Smark
05-28-2005, 11:56 AM
http://www.obsessedwithwrestling.com/pictures/u/usexpress/02.jpg

http://www.obsessedwithwrestling.com/pictures/m/mikerotundo/03.jpg

http://www.obsessedwithwrestling.com/pictures/b/barrywindham/04.jpg

Marc the Smark
05-28-2005, 11:59 AM
http://www.obsessedwithwrestling.com/pictures/05/announceteam1.jpg

Marc the Smark
05-28-2005, 12:01 PM
http://www.obsessedwithwrestling.com/pictures/s/shiekvolkoff/01.jpg

http://www.obsessedwithwrestling.com/pictures/c/cartoon/shieknvolkoff.jpg

Marc the Smark
05-28-2005, 12:05 PM
http://www.obsessedwithwrestling.com/pictures/00/hoganandrecelebrate2.jpg

http://www.obsessedwithwrestling.com/pictures/a/andre/40.jpg

http://www.obsessedwithwrestling.com/pictures/05/contraversy.jpg

http://www.obsessedwithwrestling.com/pictures/ppv/wm03/andrehulk.jpg

Marc the Smark
05-28-2005, 12:10 PM
http://www.obsessedwithwrestling.com/pictures/h/hillbillyjim/01.jpg

http://www.obsessedwithwrestling.com/pictures/h/hillbillyjim/04.jpg

http://www.obsessedwithwrestling.com/pictures/u/uncleelmer/02.jpg

Marc the Smark
05-28-2005, 12:16 PM
http://www.obsessedwithwrestling.com/pictures/b/bobbyheenan/03.jpg

http://www.obsessedwithwrestling.com/pictures/05/monsoonheenen.jpg

http://www.obsessedwithwrestling.com/pictures/b/bobbyheenan/12.jpg

http://www.obsessedwithwrestling.com/pictures/h/heenanfamily/01.jpg

http://www.obsessedwithwrestling.com/pictures/b/brainbusters/08.jpg

http://www.obsessedwithwrestling.com/pictures/b/brooklynbrawler/02.jpg

Marc the Smark
05-28-2005, 12:24 PM
http://www.obsessedwithwrestling.com/pictures/v/vincemcmahon/02.jpg

http://www.obsessedwithwrestling.com/pictures/m/mcmahons/18.jpg

http://www.obsessedwithwrestling.com/pictures/v/vincemcmahon/40.jpg

http://www.obsessedwithwrestling.com/pictures/v/vincemcmahon/49.jpg

http://www.obsessedwithwrestling.com/pictures/04/bischvince2.jpg

http://www.obsessedwithwrestling.com/pictures/b/brocklesnar/26.jpg

DaveWadding
05-28-2005, 12:31 PM
Rick Rude spray painted Jake the Snakes "sister"(?) on his tights.

That was his wife. Who Rude was/had been doing the dirty dirty with.

DaveWadding
05-28-2005, 12:33 PM
When Ray Combs(from Family Feud) was ring announcer at Wrestlemainia VIII.....

Combs-"Here we have The Mountie, ladies and gentlemen, The Mountie. When we asked the survey to 100 people they said that The Mountie is a man who doesn't know the meaning of the word fear.....but then again there's alot of words he doesn't know the meaning to. Next, we have the Repo Man. The survey said....if they called him Two-Faced he must be wearing the other one right now. Seriously, when he was born his parents were hoping for a boy. Finally we have the Nasty Boys. According to the survey, the Success of the Nasty Boys can be summed up in one word.....Lucky!"

Finally, at Wrestlemainia VIII(again) when Bobby Heenan asked Gorilla Monsoon if he knew how Paul Bearer got the urn, Monsoon asked how and Heenan, in one of my favorite lines replied," Why the old fashioned way- he URNed it!!!"
ROFL. I :love: WM VIII :D

Marc the Smark
05-28-2005, 12:35 PM
http://www.obsessedwithwrestling.com/pictures/r/rickrude/02.jpg

Marc the Smark
05-28-2005, 12:41 PM
http://www.obsessedwithwrestling.com/pictures/r/rougeaubrothers/01.jpg

http://www.obsessedwithwrestling.com/pictures/j/jacquesrougeau/04.jpg

Marc the Smark
05-28-2005, 12:52 PM
http://www.obsessedwithwrestling.com/pictures/j/johnnord/01.jpg

http://www.obsessedwithwrestling.com/pictures/j/jimmysnuka/21.jpg

http://www.obsessedwithwrestling.com/pictures/r/roddypiper/10.jpg

http://www.obsessedwithwrestling.com/pictures/k/kingkongbundy/24.jpg

http://www.obsessedwithwrestling.com/pictures/w/wendyrichter/06.jpg

DaveWadding
05-28-2005, 01:04 PM

(8) From Montreal to Memphis parle vous francais?/{...} WE'RE ALL-AMERICAN BOYS! (8)

Supermark101
05-28-2005, 01:09 PM
http://www.obsessedwithwrestling.com/pictures/m/mikeshaw/10.jpg

NORMAN :love: :love: :love:

Does anyone else remember Teddy Long having a huge key around his neck. He used it to control Norman. :lol:

Marc the Smark
05-28-2005, 01:34 PM
http://www.obsessedwithwrestling.com/pictures/t/tazz/17.jpg

http://www.obsessedwithwrestling.com/pictures/f/fourhorsemen/07.jpg

http://www.obsessedwithwrestling.com/pictures/f/fourhorsemen/04.jpg

http://www.obsessedwithwrestling.com/pictures/f/fourhorsemen/19.jpg

http://www.obsessedwithwrestling.com/pictures/a/atlasjohnson/03.jpg

http://www.obsessedwithwrestling.com/pictures/t/tonyatlas/06.jpg

Marc the Smark
05-28-2005, 01:38 PM
http://www.obsessedwithwrestling.com/pictures/h/hectorguerrero/01.jpg

http://www.obsessedwithwrestling.com/pictures/d/doink/05.jpg

Marc the Smark
05-28-2005, 01:40 PM
http://www.obsessedwithwrestling.com/pictures/j/junkyarddog/08.jpg

Marc the Smark
05-28-2005, 01:44 PM
http://www.obsessedwithwrestling.com/pictures/w/wildsomoans/02.jpg

http://www.obsessedwithwrestling.com/pictures/l/loualbano/05.jpg

http://www.obsessedwithwrestling.com/pictures/l/loualbano/09.jpg

http://www.obsessedwithwrestling.com/pictures/g/georgesteele/06.jpg

http://www.obsessedwithwrestling.com/pictures/g/georgesteele/11.jpg

Marc the Smark
05-28-2005, 01:51 PM
http://www.obsessedwithwrestling.com/pictures/g/godfather/19.jpg

http://www.obsessedwithwrestling.com/pictures/g/godfather/16.jpg

http://www.obsessedwithwrestling.com/pictures/g/godfather/17.jpg

Anybody Thrilla
05-28-2005, 02:33 PM
That doesn't even look like the real Doink in that picture. That guy's all fat and non-Doinky.

The Gooch
05-30-2005, 03:33 PM
That was his wife. Who Rude was/had been doing the dirty dirty with.

I forgot to come back and change that. I was melting two similar stories together from different eras. For some reason I was mixing up the Ken Shamrock angle involving his "sister". Was that with Val Venus?

Anybody Thrilla
05-30-2005, 04:24 PM
Yeah. Alicia Webb was "Ryan Shamrock", who was getting it on with Val Venis. I believe there was an Intercontinental title somewhere in the mix there too, but who's counting? According to Extreme Warfare Revenge, Alicia Webb and Ken Shamrock do not get along in real life. I wonder why.

XL
05-31-2005, 11:17 AM

Is it me or does the RB on the left look like a weird hybrid between Eddie Guerrero and Chris Benoit!?

Tell me it's not just me!

Anybody Thrilla
06-01-2005, 12:00 PM
It's not just you.

The Gooch
06-01-2005, 12:08 PM
The smirk on Jacques' face reminds me a bit of Mr. Perfect Kurt Hennig.

Anybody Thrilla
06-01-2005, 12:09 PM
*Curt Hennig

The Gooch
06-01-2005, 12:13 PM
Yes indeed. Fuck.... I'm having a case of the misspellings recently. Normally it is the last name everyone fucks up.

Anybody Thrilla
06-01-2005, 12:15 PM
Yeah, people say Henning all the time. But they are retarded.

Anybody Thrilla
06-01-2005, 12:15 PM
The funniest is when you see signs that say "BRING BACK BRETT HART" or "THIS IS RICK FLAIR COUNTRY".

The Gooch
06-01-2005, 12:20 PM
I'm feeling retarded at the moment so I did a google on the Hennig last name to make sure. Just spent the last couple of hours doing some budget data entry. It's pretty mindless work, but data entry burns me out for some reason.

The Gooch
06-01-2005, 12:24 PM
The funniest is when you see signs that say "BRING BACK BRETT HART" or "THIS IS RICK FLAIR COUNTRY".

Actually if you Google Kurt Hennig, Kurt Henning, and Curt Henning you'd be surprised at how many fucked up posts there are.

Anybody Thrilla
06-01-2005, 12:32 PM
I did data entry last year. Easy, but it makes my brain shut down.