PDA

View Full Version : Most influential promo ever

The One
05-27-2005, 01:52 PM
What do you consider to be the most influential promo ever? I mean a promo that changed not only one character's career, I am talking like changed the face of Professional Wrestling. And maybe it wasn't a result of that promo that everything changed, but it was the indication of what the future would be.

So what do you think?

KingofOldSchool
05-27-2005, 01:53 PM
Austin 3:16

The One
05-27-2005, 02:10 PM
I was up in the air about a couple of them...Austin at King of the Ring was certainly one I considered, so was Hogan at Bash at the Beach, along with also Hogan from MSG proclaiming the start of Hulkamania...Russo's shoot on Hogan...and about 30 others. But there was one that for me just changed everything.

Shane Douglas on August 27, 1994 from the ECA arena in Phiadelphia, PA. For me, when Shane Douglas threw down the NWA World Title, it was ECW breaking free of everything that wrestling was known for back then. It was the promo that started down the Extreme road. It was like a giant "Fuck You" to the rest of the world that not only gave them their outlaw image, but also it made them known for the anything can happen attitude. Before the nWo, before Austin was even bald, before anyone was swearing, looking at hot women, drinking beer, and saying "anything can happen" ECW was doing just that. Without ECW, I don't know that Steve Austin would have ever been allowed to go around stunning people or DX making the joes they made, or The Rock allowed to say all that he was. ECW changed the world of wrestling from their little bingo hall and it was through that promo that Douglas gave that everything was set in motion.

Xero
05-27-2005, 02:13 PM
It's a tossup between Austin 3:16 and the introduction of the nWo. Both were around the same time, both shaped the future of their own organizations.

SuperSlim
05-27-2005, 02:16 PM
For WWF - Austin 3:16 was the thing that nailed it.

WCW - Russo's shoot in the ring. As well as what Hogan said before that happened.

nWo promo

ECW - The one that strated it all. Shane Douglas tossin that title to the ground

alvarado52
05-27-2005, 02:41 PM
i think you mean ECW bud, but we all got it. I agree with The One, the Shane Douglas promo was definitly a INDUSTRY changer, not just a organization changer.

MVP
05-27-2005, 03:03 PM
I think it's a tie between Austin 3:16 and Hogan's nWo promo from Bash at the Beach 96.

Both of those just laid a path that left a huge impact on pro wrestling as a whole.

Karlsberg
05-27-2005, 03:52 PM
Definetly the Shane Douglas Promo where he threw the NWA belt down.

Savio
05-27-2005, 04:14 PM
Hardcore hollys "I caused you to break my neck" promo

The One
05-27-2005, 04:15 PM
That one brought a tear to my eye...

Altar of Helmsley
05-27-2005, 08:40 PM
No contest, Shane Douglas-The birth of ECW!!

Shadow
05-27-2005, 09:07 PM
I'm going with everyone else here. Shane Douglas' promo and the birth of ECW...that just friggin rocked.

Goulet
05-27-2005, 09:36 PM
the most influential is Douglas... however on a different subject the best promo ever is this bad boy by Jake "The Snake" Roberts at Wrestlemania 6

"Well, well the million dollar man... ted dibiase. Here we are at Wrestlemania, and it's the biggest match of your career. Why? because everything you stand for is on the line. Namely the million dollar belt, oh yeah it can be yours once again, you see all you have to do to get it back hmm, is go through damien and me! But you see damien and i dont forget we remember all the times you made people grumble for your money, these were people far less fortunate than you, people that could use your money for essentials, and what did you do, you made fun of them, you humbled them and you humiliated them, well now it's my turn. I'm gonna make you beg dibiase. You are gonna get down on your hands and knees. This time you will be the one whose humbled, this time you will be the whose humiliated and this time you will be the one that grumbles for the money, and how appropriate, that the money you grumble for is your very own, a victim of your own greed wallowing in the muck of averus."

The CyNick
05-27-2005, 10:42 PM
Vince's interview with Austin in MSG in 1997, started the biggest money making fued in wrestling, created the whole boss vs employee concept, started Vince as regular part of the show, and put the focus on something other than a wrestling match.

Londoner
05-28-2005, 12:17 AM
Vince's interview with Austin in MSG in 1997, started the biggest money making fued in wrestling, created the whole boss vs employee concept, started Vince as regular part of the show, and put the focus on something other than a wrestling match.

But would that of happened without the shane douglas promo everyone is going on about?I havent seen the promo unfortunately(the ECW one) I wish i had been watching wrestling at that time now.

FourFifty
05-28-2005, 12:34 AM
I'm going to make it a toss up between three WWF promos.

Austin 3:16 shaped what wrestling is today. The idea that you don't have to be a nice man to be a good guy redefined wrestling. I know he was a heel at the time (or at least I think, because Jake Robets was a face), but to have a face with the same persona of just not giving a damn about anyone or anything... Pure awesomeness.

WWF, sometime before WMIV, Hulk Hogan saying he won't sell the title to The Million Dollar Man. Back then saying "Hell No" was a big deal. I mean, come on! Jinkies, it was H-E-Double Hockey Sticks! The passion that he had, refusing to sell out all his little sheep... errr... hulkamanicas, was simply amazing.

'Twas the night after the screwjob, and all through the ring, HBK said he had Bret Hart there, but it could be anything! When Bret's music hit I started to fidget, but alas it wasn't Bret, along came a midget!
I know that goes under one of the more childish stunts DX pulled, but come on, that took balls! An entire country was pissed off at Vince, and then the WWF did THAT! They made fun of the screwjob, which is still a hot topic for some. You can't go to Canada without hearing chants of "You Screwed Bret!"

John la Rock
05-28-2005, 01:36 AM
AUSTIN 3:16

nothing else comes close

mike627
05-28-2005, 02:14 AM
1.Austin 3:16 KOTR 97

2. Shane Douglas:Birth of ECW

3. Hogan:Bash at the Beach'96

redoneja
05-28-2005, 06:14 PM
This wasn't "promo" but I would DEFINATELY say that Paul Heyman's pep talk to the ECW Roster before there first PPV, Barely Legal, was extremely(no pun intended) influential. Shane Douglas' promo may have gotten the ball rolling, but Heyman's promo helped usher in a second era of ECW- an era of national attention and recognition, not just regional.

Loose Cannon
05-28-2005, 06:17 PM
But would that of happened without the shane douglas promo everyone is going on about?I havent seen the promo unfortunately(the ECW one) I wish i had been watching wrestling at that time now.

I don't get it. Why wouldn't that of happened if Shane didn't do his promo?

LK
05-28-2005, 06:23 PM
I'm guessing that it maybe has somethign to do with the Attitude era not starting, had it not been for ECW. Just a guess.

LK
05-28-2005, 06:24 PM
Anyway my vote for most influental promo has to be the Austin 3:26 promo. That made Stone Cold Steve Austin and changed wrestling.

Nark Order
05-28-2005, 06:59 PM
"Bret Screwed Bret" :shifty:

The Naitch
05-28-2005, 07:21 PM
All of Triple H's 30 minute promos

Londoner
05-28-2005, 09:16 PM
I'm guessing that it maybe has somethign to do with the Attitude era not starting, had it not been for ECW. Just a guess.

Exactly. had ECW not pushed as hard as they did, Vince Mcmahon might not of come up with storylines like that.

samichna
05-28-2005, 09:17 PM
Shane Douglas

The One
05-28-2005, 10:16 PM

Shane Douglas promo after winning the NWA World Title... (http://www.franchisefansite.com/shanenwa.wmv)

There you go.

James Steele
05-28-2005, 10:20 PM
Thanks.

James Steele
05-28-2005, 10:21 PM
<table class="tborder" align="center" border="0" cellpadding="4" cellspacing="1" width="70%"> <tbody><tr> <td class="tcat">vBulletin Message</td> </tr> <tr> <td class="panelsurround" align="center"> <!-- main error message --> You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to The One again.

<!-- / main error message -->

</td></tr> </tbody> </table>

Londoner
05-28-2005, 11:55 PM
Shane Douglas promo after winning the NWA World Title... (http://www.franchisefansite.com/shanenwa.wmv)

There you go.

Thanks mate, what system do i need to be able to watch it? I have an imac so i don't know if that matters or not.Hopefully it works.

Londoner
05-28-2005, 11:59 PM
Damnit, i don't have the right thing to be able to view it..hate having a bloody imac. Rep to you anyway for the effort.

James Steele
05-29-2005, 12:00 AM
See, no matter what you do we are all Bill Gate's bitch.

Fox
05-29-2005, 02:05 AM
Dude, what about when Austin got ran over and nobody knew who it was, and all that suspense was building up for the biggest wrestler in the company's return, and it could've been anybody, and he was searching for who it was, and in the end it was RIKISHI! Oh, but that's not the best part, then he cut this awesome promo where he's like "I did it for The Rock." That was such a huge uppercut in-your-face swerve right there! BAM! Racially charged promo!

That made so much money for the WWE I don't even see how nobody has mentioned it yet.

VicJericho
05-29-2005, 03:50 AM
Shane Douglas "...Can all kiss my ass! ::throws down title::"

FourFifty
05-29-2005, 08:42 AM
I don't know when, but Steve Austin cut a promo in ECW that was just scary, as he talked about how he was going to be the top player in the wrestling bizz. He talked about how there was no one from WCW holding him back anymore, and he's going to be the superstar he can be... Awesome promo without waiting for the word "what"