PDA

View Full Version : Do you think WWE will screw up ECW "one night stand"?

Savio
05-28-2005, 02:57 PM
I have a feeling they will

Gone Mad
05-28-2005, 03:00 PM
I sense there will be flaws, but I doubt it should be a complete screw-up. The matches sound great and see all these wrestlers back together again should be great.

Oh, and hopefully, it will be EXXXTTTREEEMMME!!!

Team Sheep
05-28-2005, 03:06 PM
I thought they'd screw up the Rise + Fall DVD, but it turned out great. Plus with Heyman's mind behind the whole thing, it should be a great show.

Nark Order
05-28-2005, 03:10 PM
ECW cannot be duplicated. It was what it was.

Xero
05-28-2005, 03:17 PM
As a PPV, and with the matches and people announced for it, I don't see any way that the WWE could screw things up completely. Some things might be a bit awkward, but I can see NO WAY the WWE can completely screw this up.

On the other hand, the WWE has surprised me before.

Nark Order
05-28-2005, 03:23 PM
On the contrary... If Bischoff comes in with RAW guys and buries everybody then it would indeed suck.

James Steele
05-28-2005, 03:35 PM
Also the SmackDown! guys do aswell. I think they want it to be WCW v. WWE v. ECW, but they are doing it RAW v. SD! v. ECW. I just think that if it ends with WWE guys whipping that ass, then the entire point of the PPV was well, pointless.

Mr. JL
05-28-2005, 03:39 PM
The WWE won't screw it up, but I think the wannabe ECW fans in attendance will.

Xero
05-28-2005, 03:40 PM
On the contrary... If Bischoff comes in with RAW guys and buries everybody then it would indeed suck.
You know, I never thought of that. :nono:

If they only appear in the beginning of the show or on Heat and get their asses kicked, I wouldn't care. But if they are involved in ANY matches, interference or otherwise, it will definitely have the potential of completely destroying what would have been the best PPV in a while.

Team Sheep
05-28-2005, 03:41 PM
I think the whole "RAW and Smackdown invade ECW One Night Stand" thing will just be one segment, where the ECW guys will just end up on top and send them out of the arena or something.

Rob
05-28-2005, 07:10 PM
I think they have already screwed it up by having it be an "invasion" show rather than a nostalgia show.

James Steele
05-28-2005, 07:28 PM
Rob, thats a shitty gimmick.

Rob
05-28-2005, 07:41 PM
you what?

Stickman
05-28-2005, 08:42 PM
I don't think they'll screw it up too bad, except the entrance music will not be the orignals. If the sandman came out to something other than Enter Sandman, or RVD came out to soemthing other than Walk, that would be fucked up.

John la Rock
05-28-2005, 08:53 PM
they will fuck it up

Kane Knight
05-28-2005, 09:02 PM
I think the whole "RAW and Smackdown invade ECW One Night Stand" thing will just be one segment, where the ECW guys will just end up on top and send them out of the arena or something.
Even so, the majority of the on-air time spent promoting it has dealt with this rivalry. The build-up's already screwed it up.

The One
05-28-2005, 10:32 PM
Do I think it will be a complete screw up? No. But I do think that the powers that be over there in WWE land can't resist the urge the make something shitty about a program. I am in complete agreement that this has already been a mistake in build up, having it be billed as an invasion rather then "One Night Stand"...unless this leads to HeAT and Velocity becoming ECW shows, being 100% completely run by Paul Heyman, and once again allows him to come through and change the wrestling world...when I say that I don't mean GO BACK to what ECW was because that is more now what WWE is (in a more watered down sort of way) but I think once again the wrestling world is waiting for a change, and I would love it Paul Heyman got two hours a week to take a crack at that change.

Londoner
05-29-2005, 12:16 AM
I've got a terrible feeling that The WWE guys are going to interfere in some matches, i also think Eddie will cost Rey his match and Rey will cost Eddie his match(does Eddie have a match?).I'm just glad the ppv is on sky sports 1 instead of Box Office so if they do screw it up..i wont be too pissed. Also what i'm worried about is those fans who just don't get ECW but think it's cool to chant the name, instead of saying it with pride. But the writing has got alot better recently, so it could be good.I have no idea how this invasion idea could work other than the Raw&sd guys interfereing in matches....

Nark Order
05-29-2005, 01:00 AM
There's no way that WWE would ever put on a program without somehow, someway promoting themselves and what they've accomplished. Let's just hope it doesn't COMPLETELY destroy the show. I'll bet there will still be some great matches and huge spots.

Fox
05-29-2005, 01:01 AM
It'll be good, but without Joey Styles and Cyrus calling the action, it simply will not feel the same. Especially if Jim fucking Ross is at the announce table. That might kill One Night Stand completely.

Londoner
05-29-2005, 01:34 AM
Oh god. I didn't even think about JR commentating on it, that would completely suck...

BigDaddyCool
05-29-2005, 01:35 AM
I doubt we will see anything different that the normal crap WWE puts out, as far as werstling is concerned.

Gouda
05-29-2005, 01:41 AM
If instead of letting Benoit/Eddie wrestle and the crusers fly they just make all the matches consist of bashing each other with weapons, then they could screw it up.

I'm not saying that they can't bash each other with weapons but.... yeah.

Mr. JL
05-29-2005, 03:37 AM
Yeah, if the match between Chris Benoit and Tajiri is what we have to look forward to on the one night stand ...then just kill me now. It was a typical WWE hardcore match that was ALL about the weapons

VicJericho
05-29-2005, 04:05 AM
I think WWE cant AFFORD to screw up ECW, Vince said he likes a big pot of money and if they screw up the PPV he can kiss any future money ECW might be able to bring in away

Rob
05-29-2005, 07:17 AM
Well Angle had it right on Smackdown. Vince probably had a idea about how he can flush away a bunch of money and came up with this.

Rammsteinmad
05-29-2005, 07:30 AM
With this whole "Raw Invasion" going on... I now see it as nothing more than a WWE PPV... Any excuse to get people like Triple H, Randy Orton, Batista etc on it.

Chavo Classic
05-29-2005, 11:31 AM
Oh god. I didn't even think about JR commentating on it, that would completely suck...

It smells too much like a WWE show because the atmosphere will be too artificial. I can imagine too many fans (who strangely werent there when ECW really needed them) trying to hard and chanting ECW every chance they get.

Mayo
05-29-2005, 07:14 PM
Bring back Joey Styles, Gertner, all of those guys for one night. Make it as complete as possible the way that ECW used to be.

Loose Cannon
05-29-2005, 07:54 PM
If they were doing a dam Invasion angle, they shouldn't of even made it an "ECW PPV." You don't need that to sell this PPV. The dam DVD already proved that.

The CyNick
05-29-2005, 08:19 PM
That was the problem.

Vince couldn't have a bunch of indy guys sell a PPV that does better than PPVs with their top guys on it.

So now you will have a bunch of mid card guys go toe to toe with ECW's top stars of all time. Some of the ECW guys may get the uppser hand, but what does that really matter when its against mid card guys?

I mean if it was going to be a deal where all the top WWE guys went against the top stars of ECW and they went 50-50, it would be cool. But I know the top guys wont be there from WWE's end. Angle looks like he'll be there, but my guess is that he'll just shoot an angle with Tazz and beat him up, maybe leading to a match. But lets face it, there's no way the WWE is going to let one of their top stars lose to an announcer.

Thats the problem with the current format of the PPV. If they would have left it just an ECW reunion show, and not do stuff like hit us over the head with the fact that Vince is making money off all this, or that ECW was nothing more than OVW-North East, it would be much better.

I'm sure it'll be a good show in the ring, because going by the card, its hard to imagine how it would be bad.

Savio
05-29-2005, 09:19 PM
The Invasion thing was just to get HHH in the main event.

Kane Knight
05-29-2005, 09:37 PM
They need a reason?

Innovator
05-29-2005, 10:08 PM
They might try to water it down, I mean cmon we can't have ECW getting a better buyrate than the Great American Bash

Rob
05-30-2005, 05:14 AM
Angle looks like he'll be there, but my guess is that he'll just shoot an angle with Tazz and beat him up, maybe leading to a match. But lets face it, there's no way the WWE is going to let one of their top stars lose to an announcer.

Have you seen Tazz recently? Fat little Smackdown announcer? He is in no condition to be wrestling and already said he doesn't want to wrestle on the show.

James Steele
05-30-2005, 05:21 AM
I would still kill to see Tazz T-Bone HHH straight to hell.

Rob
05-30-2005, 05:32 AM
Tazz looks like he had had one to many T-Bone's.

The CyNick
05-30-2005, 07:31 AM
Have you seen Tazz recently? Fat little Smackdown announcer? He is in no condition to be wrestling and already said he doesn't want to wrestle on the show.

Thats why I was saying angle initially.

If they have a match, my feeling is that Angle would just destroy him. They let Tazz hit a couple of suplexes and then Angle would hit the Ankle Lock and Tazz would tap.

Pepsi Man
05-30-2005, 10:09 AM
I remain hopeful that it will be a good show. As far as the invasion thing goes, I really am hoping it's only a temporary thing. It's not like other ECW Pay-Per-Views never had inklings of interpromotional rivalries, or ECW uniting against a common enemy (like the Network).

Eddie vs. Benoit and Lance vs. Jericho on the card DO make it almost seem like it's just random WWE matches.

I can only hope that not only does the WWE LET its superstars work the "ECW style", but that the superstars themselves are willing to put themselves at risk. There's great risk in wrestling the way they did in ECW, but there's high reward too, in the form of awesome-looking action.

It's a shame Joey Styles is HIGHLY unlikely to be doing any announcing, but as long as they don't throw in ANY WWE announcers, I'll be fine. (Use like Joel Gertner, and even put Paul at the announce booth if you must.)

We'll see June twelth. I'm not going to bash how they promote a show, because frankly what promotional tactics are used is of no consequence to me when it comes to actually enjoying the actual show. I think I'm out of words to ramble, so this will end this post.

Rob
05-30-2005, 10:28 AM
If they aren't using Styles, they need either Heyman (and I doubt he'll be announcing) or Cyrus or even Lance Wright. Under no circumstances should they use any non ECW announcer.

Lamuella
05-30-2005, 11:09 AM
I hope they get it right.

Heyman's promo at the "ECW funeral" last monday was one of the best moments of wrestling TV I've seen in a year. He at least still has the intensity. I hope to christ they let them work the show properly.

Pepsi Man
05-30-2005, 11:25 AM
If they aren't using Styles, they need either Heyman (and I doubt he'll be announcing) or Cyrus or even Lance Wright. Under no circumstances should they use any non ECW announcer.
haha, yeah, come to think of it, Cyrus wouldn't be a bad choice.

Savio
05-30-2005, 11:48 AM
maybe christy hemme will announce.

SuperSlim
05-30-2005, 11:53 AM
I for one believe that the WWE will not screw this one up. I mean they have had their shares of screw ups and letdowns but they have been faithful in the past. And this time I think they will really be able to deliver.

Mr. JL
05-30-2005, 02:58 PM
The announcing situation looks like it could be a bust.

I say for at least one of the matches they have Stevie Richards call the match using the microphone. I remember hoim calling a Raven versus Sandman match and it was funny as shit. "Raven working on the left arm of the Sandman, because of course the Sandman is left handed". Then joey Styles is like well, "He's better than Schiavone, McMahon and Eric bischoff because he at least knows the name of the holds"

There's an ECW moment for yeah

Kane Knight
05-31-2005, 08:17 AM
The announcing situation looks like it could be a bust.

I say for at least one of the matches they have Stevie Richards call the match using the microphone. I remember hoim calling a Raven versus Sandman match and it was funny as shit. "Raven working on the left arm of the Sandman, because of course the Sandman is left handed". Then joey Styles is like well, "He's better than Schiavone, McMahon and Eric bischoff because he at least knows the name of the holds"

There's an ECW moment for yeah
I'd like to see them throw JR in that. ;)