PDA

View Full Version : Guild Wars

Nark Order
06-07-2005, 07:42 AM
Anyone on this? I just got a brand new notebook and I'm running it now. It is so awesome, it's ridiculous. Such a great MMORPG and the best thing is that there is no online fee whatsoever.

If anyone owns this, gimme name so I can add.

Jonster
06-07-2005, 09:00 AM
I'm thinking of it.

Requiem
06-07-2005, 01:52 PM
Requiem bought it yesterday.

Kane Knight
06-07-2005, 03:29 PM
I own it. Have since like 2 weeks after it came out.

TheNamelessOne
06-07-2005, 03:31 PM
Im thinking about getting it, but im still a little skeptical, mainly because theres so many other games I want to play at the moment.

Kane Knight
06-07-2005, 05:26 PM
Incedentally, I haven't PVPed much really. Mostly just PVEs. I've done like 19 different characters, so I really haven't gotten to any of the newer areas...

Boomer
06-07-2005, 10:32 PM
I have it. Necro is way better than i expected it to be. Although, I must admit, having the outside world to only your party makes it feel very separative to other MMORPGs. It is still fucking beautiful though.

Kane Knight
06-07-2005, 10:40 PM
I have it. Necro is way better than i expected it to be. Although, I must admit, having the outside world to only your party makes it feel very separative to other MMORPGs. It is still fucking beautiful though.
It's not really designed to be a MMORPG

BabyHugger
06-07-2005, 10:57 PM
It is good, but WoW is 1000000000000000000000000 times better.

Requiem
06-08-2005, 12:04 AM
Wooo been playin a bunch with a friend. Lvl 6 Mes/Warrior now.

Boomer
06-08-2005, 05:02 AM
It's not really designed to be a MMORPG

Well then its false advertising. I mean I don't really care because there is no monthly charge. Its just like Morrowind to me.

Boomer
06-08-2005, 05:22 AM
One of my friends who plays WoW (and EQ before that) said he much preferred an environment where you had to fight for kills in the world and stuff like that, and constantly watch out for PvP stuff. I kinda understand his point, but at times I really like having the whole world to myself. They do still need to fix some things IMO. I think item drops aren't nearly as good as they could be. I guess I'm so used to Diablo 2 with the unbelievable amount of combintations. I just identify items in hope they are precious in GW. And I also think its kinda wierd that you can't wear armor drops, but can only salvage from them. Salvaging is pretty cool though. Been using all my storage space to save up.

The Mackem
06-08-2005, 06:11 AM
This is one of those things where you get lost in the abbrieviations.

Boomer
06-08-2005, 11:58 AM
I would have never noticed.

Kane Knight
06-08-2005, 01:26 PM
Well then its false advertising. I mean I don't really care because there is no monthly charge. Its just like Morrowind to me.
Errr...Is it?

http://guildwars.com/faq/default.html

Game Details

What kind of game is Guild Wars?

Guild Wars is a global online roleplaying game. Players can engage in cooperative group combat, in single player adventures, or in large head-to-head guild battles. Guild Wars is a mission-based game set in a stunning 3D fantasy world that offers excellent support for guilds. Because the team that developed Guild Wars had experience creating successful online game series such as Warcraft, StarCraft and Diablo, the members used their familiarity with the complex issues surrounding online games to create a game that is both easy to learn and compelling to play long term, and yet does not require players to spend hundreds of hours slogging through the preparation just to get to the fun bits. Is Guild Wars an MMORPG (Massively Multiplayer Online Role Playing Game)?

Guild Wars has some similarities to existing MMORPGs, but it also has some key differences. Like existing MMOs, Guild Wars is played entirely online in a secure hosted environment. Thousands of players inhabit the same virtual world. Players can meet new friends in gathering places like towns and outposts where they form parties and go questing with them. Unlike many MMOs, when players form a party and embark upon a quest in Guild Wars, they get their own private copy of the area where the quest takes place. This design eliminates some of the frustrating gameplay elements commonly associated with MMOs, such as spawn camping, loot stealing, and standing in a queue in order to complete a quest. Guild Wars takes place in a large virtual world made up of many different zones, and players can walk from one end of the world to the other. In Guild Wars much of the tedium of traveling through the world has been eliminated. Players can instantly return to any safe area (town or outpost) that they have previously visited just by clicking on it in the world overview map.

Rather than labeling Guild Wars an MMORPG, we prefer to call it a CORPG (Competitive Online Role-Playing Game). Guild Wars was designed from the ground up to create the best possible competitive role-playing experience. Success in Guild Wars is always the result of player skill, not time spent playing or the size of one's guild. As characters progress, they acquire a diverse set of skills and items, enabling them to use new strategies in combat. Players can do battle in open arenas or compete in guild-vs-guild warfare or the international tournament. Engaging in combat is always the player's choice, however; there is no player-killing in cooperative areas of the world.

Players in Guild Wars can play with or against players from around the world in the global tournaments and arenas. And while players are initially placed in a region based on their selected language (so that there is a greater likelihood that others will be speaking their language) they can join up in the always-available International District to form parties and to play with anyone from anywhere in the world.

Boomer
06-08-2005, 02:03 PM
Yeah I looked all that up to make sure. I guess other places seem to bill it just like another MMORPG when it isn't. And I can see why. There aren't lots of huge differences.

Kane Knight
06-08-2005, 05:32 PM
Yeah I looked all that up to make sure. I guess other places seem to bill it just like another MMORPG when it isn't. And I can see why. There aren't lots of huge differences.
No, there really aren't. But when people bring up these issues, it's important to remember that the intent wasn't to just create another MMO.

Boomer
06-08-2005, 05:48 PM
I am Grek Talus btw. I would love to play with someone.

Kane Knight
06-08-2005, 08:54 PM
I am Grek Talus btw. I would love to play with someone.
Have you been to the academy yet?

Requiem
06-08-2005, 09:47 PM
Wooo, level 7 now. Friend and I made a guild.. no idea what those thing are needed for the cape though.

Kane Knight
06-08-2005, 09:57 PM
Wooo, level 7 now. Friend and I made a guild.. no idea what those thing are needed for the cape though.
Platinum. MEaning you need 1K gold per piece of platinum showed.

Requiem
06-08-2005, 10:55 PM
Ohhhh, other forms of currency.

Boomer
06-09-2005, 06:45 AM
Have you been to the academy yet?

Yeah. I'm in post. Level 13.

Kane Knight
06-09-2005, 10:57 AM
Yeah. I'm in post. Level 13.
Holy shit. How'd you level so much?

Boomer
06-09-2005, 12:32 PM
I did every quest I could find. You get lots of experience from doing both parts of all the missions too. I was 7 or 8 when I left pre-searing. Right now I have no quests to do and one mission, so I'm kinda struggling to find things to do. The missions get rather tedious, especially when I play with henchman 90% of the time.

Nark Order
06-09-2005, 01:25 PM
KK, what's your player name?

We'll team

Nark Order
06-09-2005, 01:26 PM
Everybody's names actually

Nark Order
06-09-2005, 01:32 PM
BTW, I am Sir Drago Crucifix

Nark Order
06-09-2005, 01:32 PM
Boomer, I added you, let's play. Now

Requiem
06-09-2005, 01:54 PM
I did every quest I could find. You get lots of experience from doing both parts of all the missions too. I was 7 or 8 when I left pre-searing. Right now I have no quests to do and one mission, so I'm kinda struggling to find things to do. The missions get rather tedious, especially when I play with henchman 90% of the time.

Wow, I left pre-searing at like level 4. I'm lvl 8 now...

Kane Knight
06-09-2005, 04:32 PM
Yeah, I do all the quests and shit. Got both parts of one mission only, but kept dying at Ranik.

Kane Knight
06-09-2005, 04:53 PM
BTW, my current character is Aarun the White. Pre-Searing, but if you add that, you'll add my other IDs as well.

Kane Knight
06-09-2005, 04:57 PM
Wow, I left pre-searing at like level 4. I'm lvl 8 now... It's really easy to get to 7, harder after that.

Gonzo
06-09-2005, 05:49 PM
On a scale of 1 to 10, 1 being the worst, 10 being the best, what would you rate this game and why?

Nark Order
06-09-2005, 06:27 PM
9 IMO. I really enjoy questing on RPGs and this stays true to single player characteristics like questing and advancing your spells, xp... but it implements the MMORPG element. It's awesome.

Best part... free online play.

Boomer
06-09-2005, 06:34 PM
I'll get back to you on that rating. Like I play it alot and it is addictive, but I really think they need more levels. I'm only really starting to get impressive items and stuff.

Kane Knight
06-09-2005, 06:51 PM
I'm online right now as my post character Dante Storm.

Silent
06-09-2005, 07:01 PM
Im not playing right now but my charr name is Zidane Mirae

Boomer
06-09-2005, 08:32 PM
Playing bait with an impending catapult shot is extremely entertaining.

Kane Knight
06-09-2005, 08:37 PM
I'll get back to you on that rating. Like I play it alot and it is addictive, but I really think they need more levels. I'm only really starting to get impressive items and stuff.
I don't think they're adding new levels anytime soon. New regions tho...

Kane Knight
06-09-2005, 08:39 PM
Playing bait with an impending catapult shot is extremely entertaining.
Provided the retard manning the catapult actually gets the job done.

Kane Knight
06-09-2005, 08:46 PM
:shifty:

Boomer
06-09-2005, 08:58 PM
lol

Requiem
06-09-2005, 10:48 PM
Wooo lvl 9.. did a bunch of missions and got to the first city in the icy place now. probably gonna head back to ascalon and do some quests there on my own till I'm about 11.

Kane Knight
06-15-2005, 01:27 PM
I did Ranik again with a different character (E/Mo), and was equipped with the actual res skill (instead of a res signet), and managed to bring back my entire party (My buddy, two henchies, and is pet) without dying. Woah.

Boomer
06-15-2005, 01:55 PM
My friend walked me to near endgame without 2 or 3 missions in between. I could probably level up fast if I wanted to there, but I wanna at least go through the story once time.

Assending seems like a cheap-ass way to 20 though.

Kane Knight
06-15-2005, 02:19 PM
Never been that far. I keep having thr problem that I get a certain distance and decide to scrap my character for a new build.

Boomer
06-15-2005, 02:23 PM
Yeah I get frustrated with all the long missions I've been doing and keep going back to my lower level character. Keep giving all my good items to him.

Got my first rare. Lucky enough to get a major Necro rune in it.

Kane Knight
06-15-2005, 08:26 PM
Sweet.

So yeah, some of the missions are frustating.

Boomer
06-15-2005, 08:29 PM
Missions are probably my least favorite thing about the game. Sadly, thats how you further the story.

Kane Knight
06-15-2005, 09:20 PM
Yeah, I know. It's the one major downside since most of the time, you cannot get to later regions without them.

Kane Knight
06-15-2005, 09:40 PM
BTW, sorry I whispered you in game. It's kinda fucked up. I was fighting a buncha guys pre-searing, getting jacked, and accidentally hit the wrong buttons.

Boomer
06-15-2005, 11:23 PM
S'ok. Just missed a bonus because of stupid party members. Lame.

Kane Knight
06-16-2005, 12:52 AM
S'ok. Just missed a bonus because of stupid party members. Lame.
Which bonus? I missed one at the place above the Northern Frontier because my brilliant partner was SURE we had to follow Rurik to get to the bonus.

Kane Knight
06-16-2005, 12:55 AM
Least my new character is L11.

I'm trying an E/Mo out, to unlock both Elementalist and Monk skills, but also to see if mad energy storage is worth more than divine favor (I'm working on a Mo/Me in pre-searing, because I want to try out a healer/disruptor. :D)

Boomer
06-16-2005, 08:49 AM
I missed the Frost Gate bonus, which is pretty easy but requires a good team to get past the massive groups of enemies. We did get past them, and did the hardest part, but everybody just kept moving on with the real mission.

Kane Knight
06-16-2005, 01:02 PM
:|!

Gonzo
06-26-2005, 01:20 PM
My brother is going to buy this game today. I'm probably going to end up playing it quite a bit. Should be a healthy alternative to WoW, which I haven't played in quite some time. I like the whole idea of character building being emphasized rather than racing to the highest level.

Boomer
06-27-2005, 09:35 AM
I must say its still quite fun for me. I'm level 19. I should be 20 before the end of today. I think I'm just about halfway through the storyline too. I'm too obsessive over trying to do every bonus of every mission to go any faster.

RP
07-25-2005, 04:44 AM
My roomate has been playing this game. I just got into it recently. I made a Necro/Mes. I'm only lvl 2 and just now getting to Catacombs. My name is Haphaetius Hell if anyone wants to whisper me and show me shit. I'm kinda lost but kinda not. Once i get into a quest. Its pretty fun and i dont get bored finishing it. Not too hard either. But i've got tons of questions and my roomate who works a different shift then i do is to into this thing to tell me shit. He has a lvl 20 Mes/mag who is asscendied . I guess thats good or something.

Anyways give me a holla if you see me on.

RP
07-25-2005, 05:20 AM
It like.. when i make a pet. My pet has no listening skills what so ever. It doesnt seem to understand that i dont want him to attack the plague wurm. I wanna kill the Bandits. Can i do anything about this?