PDA

View Full Version : Perfect Dark Zero

Kalyx triaD
06-14-2005, 12:59 AM
I think it's time we prepare for the true Queen of Console FPS, Joanna Dark. If EGM's cover story this month is any indication, Perfect Dark Zero is going to take back her claim, by force - guns blazing. Halo, Metroid Prime, Killzone, and honorable mentions stand aside; the bitch is back. I can't wait for the kick-ass multiplayer, the spy/conspiracy ladden story, the Labtop Gun! I don't even like the XBox 360, it just doesn't do anything for me. And it seems a single game's gonna justify it for a year before decent games arrive the year after... again. In any case, PDZ is coming with the XB360 this Fall/Holidays, be ready.

Everything I've Learned:

Combat Roll:
The R-Button (Above the R-Trigger), makes you roll in one of four directions (front, back, either side). This combat roll makes you all nimble and stuff, keeps your head out of harms way when the bullets fly. The camera also pulls out in a quick 3rd Person position during the roll. Like GoldenEye and the first PD, there is no jumping; but expect the combat roll to be second nature by a couple of shootouts. You can slightly modify the roll direction, although I don't think that'll be too important. If you take damage mid-roll, it's increased. So don't think about rolling all through the deathmatch. Rolling right or left is in Star Wars Battlefront and trust me, it works.

Take Cover:
This sounds odd for an FPS, go to a flat wall corner and press (A) when prompted, and your character leans on the wall in Sam Fisher fashion. The camera pulls out to 3rd Person view as you do this, and you can even fire around the corner, Winback style. I think this wouldn't be wise to do for long periods of time, but nasty ambushes can be done if you and your buddies can coordinate taking cover and simple hiding. It'll probably dwindle to a trivial addition, but the option is appreciated.

Weapons:
Like the last game, each weapon has two modes to shoot with. Some have will have three. There planning to have over 20 guns so the variations will be satisfying, and much more pleasing than 'carry this or duel wield that'. The type of weapon you have determines how much space it takes, pistols are one slot, something like rockets are more. Makes sense to me. The alien weapons that were rampant in the last game will not return, but weapons that have some of their attributes will surface. There'll be a human gun that can see through walls, etc.

Hand 2 Hand:
Pressing (Up) on the D-Pad will throw up your fists. The Triggers will determine which hand you want to punch with (for what, though?). The second function of Hand to Hand is once again stealing your opponants gun, which was one the best things in PD.

Voice Chat:
Proximity chat won't be enabled, Rare feels hearing your enemy isn't important :roll: . Team chat will be the main source of communicating, with different channels, no doubt. Organizing will be needed, for those supposed 32vs32 games...

Multiplayer:
Rareware wants a 64 player game. I personally would settle for 50, or 40. I'm scarred to death of the lag issue, but if they can pull off a world war like that, more power to them. Deathmatch types will obviously be of FPS lore; deathmatch, team deathmatch, CTF(or CT-Briefcase), survival, blah blah. And as far as options go, just keep in mind the N64 PD still has better options than Halo 2. All your teammates will be green to your vision, anybody else will be red. What if more than two teams are playing..? We'll see. One interesting versus mode will be Dark Ops. An objective heavy mode where players buy items and weapons before each round. You only have one life a game, and the overall mood will certainly be altered. I assume this is for the Rainbow Six crowd. A co-op mode for the single player game will return, with a chance of going up to four players. And that cool 'Matrix Agent' mode will come back too; where a human player will work with the computer while another player tries to beat a single player mission. It's safe to assume all these modes will support Split Screen, System Link, and XBox Live Gold. But where will you do battle..?

Maps:
Believe it or not, Rare says six maps will be available. Six. I wonder if this has something to do with this whole XBox Live Marketplace thing... Anyway, they say the maps will be freaking huge, huge enough for the 64 players to do battle. The map sizes will vary depending on number of players. I only hope you can adjust it yourself anyway; what if I want just 8 players in the largest variation of the map? I'd like the option.

Vehicles:
I only heard of three, a motorcycle (1-driver 1-gunner), jetpack (for 1), and a hovercraft (1-driver ?-passangers). The vehicles will be set to teams in team games, and you'll need to hotwire the other teams vehicle to use them. Let's all pray for more. And if these maps will be as large as they say; we'll want some dropships, too.

Story:
It's a prequel. Most likely detailing Joanna's rise to super-spy'ness.

That's all I know for now. But I'm excited, terribly excited. I'll find all the pics and links I can for this thread, but internet pics aren't rampant yet. Can't wait.

RoXer
06-14-2005, 01:06 PM
ASKSJDHFGHSJK

This make me want to buy an XBox 360. But Smash Bros makes me want to buy a Revelotion.

I'll probly sticks with a PS3 though.

Funky Fly
06-14-2005, 04:45 PM
Yeah, they're all gonna have at least 1 killer app at launch. Revolution's got the new wireless Smash Bros, XBox 360 will have Perfect Dark Zero and PS3 will probably have 4 or 5 great games at launch. And of course probably 10 to 30 other games each.

TheNamelessOne
06-14-2005, 04:57 PM
The videos Microsoft have been showing off of this game look like shit.

At least some information has made me interested.

Funky Fly
06-14-2005, 05:02 PM
The videos Microsoft have been showing off of this game look like shit.

At least some information has made me interested.
According to the EGM article, they are not using completed XBox 360 development equipment to make it, so it will look better once they do.

Gouda
06-14-2005, 06:43 PM
Didn't like the Perfect Dark for the 64 so... "meh".

#BROKEN Hasney
06-15-2005, 02:51 AM
Yeah, they're all gonna have at least 1 killer app at launch. Revolution's got the new wireless Smash Bros, XBox 360 will have Perfect Dark Zero and PS3 will probably have 4 or 5 great games at launch. And of course probably 10 to 30 other games each.
In true Rare fashion, I reckon this will miss the 360's launch. Looks good though.