PDA

View Full Version : The Braves run a vicious cycle

Boomer
06-16-2005, 12:05 AM
As the Braves continue their spiral into oblivion, I started wonrdering today how much I see the same sort of thing happening to the Braves that has been happening for a long time. The Braves prospects rule. It works. We churn out good players alot. But when the going gets tough, the Braves trade the rookies for players they are in great need of to get into the playoffs. The Braves then proceed to win the division, and lose very quickly in the playoffs, while the prospects turn into great MLB players. Jermaine Dye is one of my first thoughts. This year we gave up Charles Thomas and Nick Green for other needs. I just read an article on ESPN saying the Braves were looking to get some guy from the Devil Rays, but that they were looking to take Andy Marte in return (who will probably do well in the Majors).

How do we end this? Do the Braves just keep all the prospects and develop a young baseball team for the future? Or do they continue to trade off everyone in hopes that one day the parts will fall into place?

YOUR Hero
06-16-2005, 01:06 AM
pitching.

The Miz
06-16-2005, 01:51 AM
The real reason the Braves have won 10 straight division titles (1994 Montreal Expos motherfuckers) is that they have the #1 farm system in MLB. I think that they are too quick to trade young talent but I wouldn't blame the constant playoff sucking on that, I'd blame it on the most overrated manager in baseball.

BCWWF
06-16-2005, 03:05 AM
To be honest, I don't think that cycle is that bad of a situation. I mean yeah it sucks if you can never win in the playoffs, but anybody outside of New York, Boston, Atlanta will tell you what its like to root for a normal team. You get a few good years, then you get the bad ones. In the few good years, you will be lucky to even get to the World Series. If this is a way that they can consistantly win then I can't really complain. If they do have such great prospects though, it would probably be smart to figure out a slightly better way to do it.

That being said, if Jermaine Dye is the best player that the Braves traded to make the playoffs for 11 years or whatever, then STFU :rant:

Boomer
06-16-2005, 09:13 AM
pitching.

I mean I look at the Braves rotation right now and I'm really impressed. (Not counting the fact that 3/5 of them are currently injured). But the Braves just give it away all the time. Smoltz looks like a has-been because every time he pitches the team gives it away in some stupid situation.

Not to mention Dan Kolb.

www.dankolbsucks.com

The Miz
06-16-2005, 12:18 PM
Yeah Jermaine Dye wtf, that guy sucks

The Outlaw
06-16-2005, 05:21 PM
LOL Dan Kolb...

What a joke :mad:

BCWWF
06-16-2005, 05:42 PM
He was somehow good last year on the Brewers. I do remember some stat from last season though, he had the most saves with the least strike outs ever or something. Guess it was just a fluke year for an average reliever.

Boomer
06-16-2005, 06:37 PM
One of the articles on DanKolbSucks said it was probably due to the fact that he played for a smaller market team who had little chance of being a contender in their division. The Braves need him to be near perfect. There are few relievers behind him to help.

OssMan
06-16-2005, 07:05 PM
good for them

The Outlaw
06-18-2005, 05:07 PM
AssMan, do you try to suck or does it just come natural?

House of Pancakes
06-18-2005, 05:09 PM
i think the braves will be alright. the fact that they have no offense, raul mondesi has been sent to the minors, and their free agent closer lost his job, they're doing a fine job of staying alive. in the nl east, it's close as you can ask for this season, and if atlanta's bats wake up, their pitching can carry them to another title.

The Outlaw
06-18-2005, 05:13 PM
IF they stay healthy.

Chipper, Hudson, Thompson, Hampton, and Estrada.

They are starting like...5 rookies in the field.