PDA

View Full Version : Anyone catch Jeremy roenick's latest tirade?

YOUR Hero
06-27-2005, 11:52 AM
God. I can't wait until JR is washed up and retired. Hopefully he goes away soon.
I can't see Boby Clarke or Flyer ownership putting up with this kind of thing.

###

Roenick goes on tirade over NHL lockout

The National Hockey League and NHL Players' Association may be off for the weekend from CBA talks, but that didn't stop Philadelphia Flyers forward Jeremy Roenick (http://tsn.ca/nhl/player_bio.asp?player_id=604) from offering up another two cents on the topic, ripping the process, the upcoming deal and the fans.

Roenick, who was speaking at a Saturday media conference for Mario Lemieux (http://tsn.ca/nhl/player_bio.asp?player_id=4011)'s charity golf tournament, let out all his frustrations on the NHL lockout in a profanity-laced diatribe.

"They could have listened to the players who had an idea of where this was going - myself, (Flyers teammate) Robert Esche (http://tsn.ca/nhl/player_bio.asp?player_id=1553), (Calgary Flames captain) Jarome Iginla (http://tsn.ca/nhl/player_bio.asp?player_id=1592) and (St. Louis Blues defenceman) Chris Pronger (http://tsn.ca/nhl/player_bio.asp?player_id=681)," he explained.

"But in February, I didn't think the deal stood up."

Roenick was referring to his involvement with Esche, Pronger and Iginla as part of a group that reportedly tried to put forth new, independent ideas for a collective bargaining agreement. Several reports said that some of his fellow players were later upset and angry over his actions.

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 align=right border=0><!--drop width--><TBODY><TR height=8><TD></TD></TR><TR><TD><!-- Begin Ad --><SCRIPT type=text/javascript> if(!sops){if(p.sops){var sops=p.sops;}else{var sops="";}} if(dUnitBox==true){boxAd=true;} if(boxAd){if((!dUnitSky)||(dUnitBox)){place300x250();}} </SCRIPT><!--- End Ad ---></TD></TR><TR><TD> </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
Roenick also said Saturday that the new CBA will be much less than what was offered to the Players' Association back in February.

"If we would have signed that deal in February, in terms of what we're getting now, we would have looked like heroes," he added.

"Right now we look like a bunch of idiots...The deal in February beats the (expletive) out of the deal we're gonna sign in July."

Roenick said the labour war has turned into his worst defeat since the 1992 playoffs.

Though both the NHL and NHLPA have had weeks of small-group meetings and intense bargaining sessions, neither side has been specific about when a deal could finally be done. It's believed a tentative deal could be reached as early as next week or after the Canada Day and Fourth of July weekend. The renewed sense of optimism over an impending deal is a stark contrast to the doom and gloom of four months ago when NHL Commissioner Gary Bettman cancelled the 2004-2005 season.

"It's unfortunate we had to go through a whole year to realize the (expletive) that was going on," said Roenick. "We've hurt our league, we've hurt the reputation of our league and the integrity of our league by sticking up for something that might not have been the right thing to do."

Roenick then made his case for NHL players and what he thought of public opinion up to this point.

"If people are going to sit and chastise pro athletes for being cocky - for being suck asses - they need to look at one thing and that's the deal we're going to be signing in about three weeks," he said.

"Pro athletes are not cocky. Pro athletes care about the game. Everybody out there who calls us spoiled because we play a game - they can kiss my ass."

Roenick went on to say that the players didn't want those so-called "fans" at the rink.

"I will say personally, personally, to everybody who calls us spoiled - you guys are just jealous... We're trying to get this thing back on the ice and make it better for the fans. If you don't realize that, then don't come. We don't want you in the rink, we don't want you in the stadium, we don't want you to watch hockey."

Even if a new NHL collective bargaining agreement is reached, the 15-year NHL veteran may not make a return to the ice.

Roenick told Sporting News Radio on Friday that he has not made up his mind about whether or not he'll lace up his skates again.

"I have to see how my body reacts to some really, really, really hard training regimen here coming up in the latter part of the summer," he said.

"It's very hard to get motivated without a deal. Once that announcement comes, I think the motivational factor will definitely be lifted. I have not 100 percent made my decision to play, but to tell you the truth, I have a lot of drive in me and really, really want to continue."

http://tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp?id=128897

Supreme Olajuwon
06-27-2005, 12:14 PM
Wow, that's a lot of bullshit for one sitting.

MoRcHeEbA
06-27-2005, 12:19 PM
lol, I hate JR but everything he said this time was true

Supreme Olajuwon
06-27-2005, 12:22 PM
not really

YOUR Hero
06-27-2005, 12:35 PM
Explain yourself Cheeba.

How is what he says true?

KleptoKlown
06-27-2005, 12:50 PM
JR is an idiot. But the shit storm that follows him is always entertaining to watch.

Zen v.W.o.
06-27-2005, 12:53 PM
It is true. The deal they are gonna get now is shit compared to the one the PA could have gotten months ago. Basically that is what he is ranting about..how the players fought for nothing really, and if Goodenow wasn't such a idiot, they could have struck a deal which was better to the players, and kept part of the season going.
What I disagree with however, is that even if that deal may have been best for the players, it really wouldnt have aided the league big time at all.

Anyways, I usually like JR as he does stick up for Hockey down south and always speaks his mind.

Althougyh there is no denying a lot of players are greedy fucks.

YOUR Hero
06-27-2005, 01:18 PM
All he's doing is alienating himself from everyone. The fans and the players are going to serve him some payback.

Zen v.W.o.
06-27-2005, 02:24 PM
So? The fans will continue to file in and watch, and he'll cash in on that. As for the players, JR was actually stating a fact I'm sure many other players agree with right now. They lost all power after they refused that deal in February.
JR has already taken a ton of abuse anyways, I doubt he minds about a little more. :y:

KleptoKlown
06-27-2005, 02:27 PM
Americans make for the best interviews.

YOUR Hero
06-27-2005, 02:57 PM
The fans may or may not file in to watch, that is yet to be determined. JR isn't a rookie, he should know by now whether or not his outspoken words are the thoughts of other players or not. That said, he should, like the them, keep those thoughts to himself. The players will not be happy to be mentioned as fools.

Lotus
06-27-2005, 03:07 PM
Roenick hasn't been worth a shit since the '90s.

Zen v.W.o.
06-27-2005, 03:14 PM
Roenick hasn't been worth a shit since the '90s.

A leaf fan may not agree with that testimonial.

I think he's a cool dude, simply for the fact he usually stands up for Hockey quite a bit. Otherwise I am lukewarm to him, and will readily admit he opens his mouth much too often. This time I agree with him, the fact is, the players were fools anyways.

YOUR Hero
06-27-2005, 04:09 PM
All he's doing is alienating himself from everyone. The fans and the players are going to serve him some payback.
The players will not be happy to be mentioned as fools.

BCWWF
06-27-2005, 05:08 PM
I dunno, I don't think thats that wrong either. I mean, what I heard him say is that if you are going to bash the players today then don't come back and pretend you love them tomorrow. I mean thats always going to happen, love something when its going good and hate it when its going bad, but I don't think it really hurts anything.

The only part I think he really may get heat for is when he was saying like they should have listened to him, esche, igilna, pronger instead of other people or whatever. But meh, as in a lot of issues I think the general fan base reacts to things much differently then we do here, so we'll see what happens.

KleptoKlown
06-27-2005, 05:56 PM
Someone should ask Brett Hull what he thinks. Then, call up Chris Chelios and ask him the same question.

The Outlaw
06-27-2005, 06:43 PM
LOL what a bitch

BCWWF
06-27-2005, 06:43 PM
Couldn't hurt to get John Rockers opinion as well

Zen v.W.o.
06-27-2005, 07:16 PM
lol, John Rocker. I'd like to hear him make a comment about guys like Peter Worrell or George Laraque. :lol:

YOUR Hero
06-27-2005, 07:30 PM
cry about it.

YOUR Hero
06-27-2005, 07:55 PM
Barry Bonds, I wonder what he thinks of all of this.

Jesus Shuttlesworth
06-27-2005, 08:04 PM
Damn does this mean hockey highlights are gonna be on ESPN again?

BCWWF
06-27-2005, 09:51 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/minorlbb/news/story?id=2095781

weather vane
06-28-2005, 06:05 PM
lol

JR is the fuckin man. He was probably gassed, leave him alone.

John Rocker
06-28-2005, 08:07 PM
Hockey :roll: :roll: :roll:

Later tonight JR, Barry Bonds, Brett Hull, and myself are all gonna go smash mail boxes from the back of my pick-up truck. :cool:

KleptoKlown
06-29-2005, 01:51 AM
"It was taken out of context"

common sentance with NHLers who speak out...

BCWWF
06-29-2005, 03:37 AM
The shit they are showing on ESPN is completely out of context, thats for sure. What Scot posted tells the whole story or the press conference though.

Anyway, really this is one of those things that honestly doesn't matter. Does it really, actually offend you, or are you just talking about it because it seems like the right thing to do? This just seems like something that sounds controversial, so we talk about it, but in reality nobody is taking this personally and nobody is going to stop watching hockey because of it.

The only reason it is even an issue is because ESPN has four shows that live on stuff like this (1st and 10, Jim Rome, ATH, PTI). Otherwise it wouldn't even be newsworthy. He was stressed out, is pissed off that they have a shitty deal, and pissed off at fans who call him greedy. Go on with your lives, hockey will be back and it will be just as strong in most cities.

YOUR Hero
06-29-2005, 10:06 AM
That remains to be seen, Chros. Personaly I don't think the sport will be as strong.

Why should it matter BTW, if he was stressed... stressed?! He play a poor round of golf? Give me a break. He's always a loud mouth. The reporter that asked him the question, did so because he knew there would be a strong chance this loud mouth with spout of a gem like this. Just like when reporters ask Bonds.

Zen v.W.o.
06-29-2005, 07:03 PM
Did you see his last interview on TSN? The media skipped all the positive stuff he said about the game and the fans and everything, which lasted for like 10 minutes, and then concentrated on reporting solely the controversial stuff he said to a heated and loaded question.

JR has stated that he has always been there for the fans and making himself available to them and frankly that is the truth, he has.

BCWWF
06-30-2005, 03:19 AM
Scot, I'm not saying that JR said the right thing, certainly not the most politically correct thing, but when it all comes down to it I don't think his comments actually offended anybody enough to impact whether they go back to hockey or not.

That being said, in places it will be hard to bring hockey back, Carolina, Florida, Los Angeles etc., but I know for certain that Minnesota is prepared and the Wild have been working all winter to keep their fan base. They sent out "No hockey survival kits" etc., and its just too big of something to let go here. If they make the right rule changes or whatever, I think it will be similar to where it left off. We'll see though, I think this new agreement should help the game as a whole in a lot of ways. If the owners aren't losing money, I see a better product.

KleptoKlown
07-01-2005, 02:43 PM
Manny Legace is the fucking man...

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp?ID=129256

With the NHL and the NHLPA slowly inching towards a new collective bargaining agreement, Detroit Red Wings goaltender Manny Legace had some choice words for his union leaders.

''The whole thing is a farce,'' the Red Wings' union representative told the Booth Newspapers group on Wednesday. ''We basically sat out for nothing, wasted a lot of money for nothing. It makes no sense to me.''

With a deal expected to be announced some time in the coming days or weeks, Legace wonders why the 'PA didn't accept a better deal that was offered last winter.

''They (ticked) off all the owners and (the owners) went out to screw the players,'' Legace said of union leaders.

''They had the right intention. They made everyone buy into what they told us. Now it seems like they're giving up everything just to start the season on time.

Legace said he would support the union if they continued to take a strong stance.

''If we're going to give up all this now, why wasn't the union smart enough to get a deal done sooner, instead of saying, 'Screw you,' (to the owners) the whole time?'' Legace told the paper. ''I lost $1.3 million. What was the purpose?

''We hurt businesses downtown, we hurt fans, we hurt everybody - for nothing. I feel bad for those people. I could understand if we were still sticking to a cause. What reason did we sit out for? It doesn't make sense.''

Asked if Goodenow is to blame, Legace said, ''It's not just him, it's the whole (executive) committee.''

With files from the Booth Newspapers group

The Gooch
07-04-2005, 08:56 AM
The media took only the negative clips from the JR interview. I agree with Zen, his point was mostly about how they got a worse deal than what was offered up earlier. Yeah he did go off on the fans, but in all fairness not too many of us would have been happy if we had to accept that kind of deal in our own lives especially after being off the job for a year and having been offered a better deal a few months earlier.

Not a JR fan myself, but I always pick him in my playoff pool as he has a lot of heart. He kind of reminds me of Claude Lemieux where you don't like him, but would love him on your team especially when the games are important.