PDA

View Full Version : WWE's latest World/WWE Title Fuck-up

redoneja
07-01-2005, 01:06 PM
Filed under: News- Niel Stephens @ 7:48 am EDT
Thanks to Navdeep Ghali for the following:

....Finally, in something I find really interesting (and I’m sure you will too), WWE.com’s title history website has put the WWE Championship above the World Championship on the title list, and, to make things even more interesting, the history of the World Championship has been changed. Previously, it had the entire history of the WCW title (and the WWE World Title version with Angle, Booker T, Jericho and the Rock) and all the title holders prior to the unification by Jericho. Now, it begins with Triple H’s first title run, when he was handed the title in September of 2002, and continues from there. I guess now that the WWE title is on Raw, it’s the Premier Wrestling Championship while the World Title has lost all of its previous prestige. Very interesting.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ok I remember that there was a thread concerning this a long time ago. Now even though some of us thought this should have been the case when the World Title was introduced 3 years ago(I for one did not), I think that the WWE should have stuck with what they had laid down previously. IMO this does a tremendous amount of damage to the WHC, as well as Smackdown. :nono:

What are your opinions?

Xero
07-01-2005, 01:08 PM
When did they have the entire WCW history on it? From what I remember, it was always Triple H on...

It's technically a different title, it's just using the old WCW model.

The One
07-01-2005, 01:09 PM
WWE.com since they started doing this title history on their website has NEVER included the WHC history beyond it being handed to Triple H, INFACT they even mention that Eric Bischoff took out the old WCW World Title and recreated it to make a whole new championship.

NoRoolz
07-01-2005, 02:21 PM
Yeah I see the WHC and WCW World title as 2 different titles for this isn't WCW, and having 287263582 Triple H's in it's history is like taking a crap on the legacy anyway. I just see the WHC modelled as the WCW World title as some sort of tribute to the company *cough* or all the great names who have held the title.

But how OBVIOUS can you get in showing that Vince values RAW as the Number 1 show, I mean all of a sudden the WWE Title headlines the webpage, co-incidence that that title came to RAW, and on the day of the WHC leaving RAW for SD, the WHC now finds itself in the number 2 spot :roll:. And what's worse is now John Cena is the number 1 guy, without a doubt he'll be feuding with HHH in no-time. This feud has greatness all over it:

John Cena: *Insert Gay Joke*
HHH: *Insert 'I am the greatest' 15 minute speech*
John Cena: *Insert Poop Joke*
HHH: *Insert '10 time champion' 15 minute speech*
John Cena: *Insert Gay and Poop Joke*

And then we get treated to a borefest of a match at the next P.P.V. Smell the ratings?

*Rant Over*

Mr. JL
07-01-2005, 02:36 PM

....Finally, in something I find really interesting (and I’m sure you will too), WWE.com’s title history website has put the WWE Championship above the World Championship on the title list, and, to make things even more interesting, the history of the World Championship has been changed. Previously, it had the entire history of the WCW title (and the WWE World Title version with Angle, Booker T, Jericho and the Rock) and all the title holders prior to the unification by Jericho. Now, it begins with Triple H’s first title run, when he was handed the title in September of 2002, and continues from there. I guess now that the WWE title is on Raw, it’s the Premier Wrestling Championship while the World Title has lost all of its previous prestige. Very interesting.

Ok I remember that there was a thread concerning this a long time ago. Now even though some of us thought this should have been the case when the World Title was introduced 3 years ago(I for one did not), I think that the WWE should have stuck with what they had laid down previously. IMO this does a tremendous amount of damage to the WHC, as well as Smackdown. :nono:

What are your opinions?
Triple H was just handed the title. No tournament, no round robin, no NOTHING... just declared the champion. It lost all and any credibility right then and there, even if it was apart of the WCW World Title or just a new title, it has NO credibility. So, IMO, it has never had any credibility to begin with so I don't see how this affects anything.

And those classic HHH/Steiner and HHH/Nash feuds for the title didn't help much either. Or HBK's pathetic one month title reign. Or Goldberg's 3 month title reign. Or Benoit's reign which was being overshadowed by HHH V. HBK round eight hundred and nintynine. Or Randy Orton's one month title reign.

I will say that 2005 has so far been a good year for the World Heavyweight Title. It has been made to look strong. Batista/HHH feud has built up some credibility for the title and someone not named Triple H s holding the title and has been for 3 months and he's been allowed to be in the main event, unlike Benoit's reign.

The CyNick
07-01-2005, 02:54 PM
The WCW World Title history was NEVER included in the history section of the World Title page.

So there's no screw up.

Corkscrewed
07-01-2005, 03:42 PM
So all this time, SD! had the premier belt? Cool.

That whole situation has always puzzled me a bit as to where the lineage goes.

6to1
07-01-2005, 03:50 PM
so i guess if anything tna has the top nwa belt an they get the right to claim the historyan ravan is the nwa champ.

darkpower
07-01-2005, 04:39 PM

What are your opinions?
I'm wondering how these two titles gained or lost crediability just because they switched them around.

But remember, the WHC WAS held by Chris Benoit in which he won through a very good Triple Threat match, and he had a healthy title run. Batista is giving it the crediability, too. So I'm not sure how putting the World Title belt on SD means that it has no crediability what-so-ever and SD is going to be hurt like that.

Not sure how the WWE title gains crediability from it being on RAW, either.

Xero
07-01-2005, 04:52 PM
Not sure how the WWE title gains crediability from it being on RAW, either.
Three letters.

HHH.

In the eyes of the WWE, anyway.

darkpower
07-01-2005, 04:56 PM
Three letters.

HHH.

In the eyes of the WWE, anyway.Yeah, but take those letters out, and look at who else has held the WHC title (Benoit, Batista, and even HBK if you want to include him) might have repaired that a little bit, and the feuds that HHH have had with many of those that he had through 04-05 may have been enough, too. I'm not in any way a HHH mark or fanboy, but I have to admit, HHH may have done at least something good (hey, look, I just saw snow starting to fall in Hell).

Xero
07-01-2005, 05:09 PM
Yeah, but take those letters out, and look at who else has held the WHC title (Benoit, Batista, and even HBK if you want to include him) might have repaired that a little bit, and the feuds that HHH have had with many of those that he had through 04-05 may have been enough, too. I'm not in any way a HHH mark or fanboy, but I have to admit, HHH may have done at least something good (hey, look, I just saw snow starting to fall in Hell).
The case of Benoit is that it was a shit reign. Sure, he held the title, but only two of his PPV matches didn't involve Hunter. Bad Blood, where he didn't even main event, and SummerSlam, where he dropped it to Orton, only for Orton to drop it to Hunter the next month.

Michaels, as someone said, only held it a month and it went right back to Hunter.

I really can't gauge Batista yet, as he's only had one feud with the title, with Triple H. Now that he's on SmackDown!, we will see if he can really do it or not. Because, as much as I and many others hate him, Triple H can carry someone to a good feud.

darkpower
07-01-2005, 05:17 PM
The case of Benoit is that it was a shit reign. Sure, he held the title, but only two of his PPV matches didn't involve Hunter. Bad Blood, where he didn't even main event, and SummerSlam, where he dropped it to Orton, only for Orton to drop it to Hunter the next month.

Michaels, as someone said, only held it a month and it went right back to Hunter.

I really can't gauge Batista yet, as he's only had one feud with the title, with Triple H. Now that he's on SmackDown!, we will see if he can really do it or not. Because, as much as I and many others hate him, Triple H can carry someone to a good feud.
It will now have a chance to gain crediability now that it's nowhere near Trip. Although we know who it's ready for now (JBL).

Mr. Nerfect
07-01-2005, 07:15 PM
The World Heavyweight Championship was never listed as the WCW Championship. The WCW lineage is stored away in the WWE Championship.

The World Heavyweight Championship may have gained some value if it did have the WCW Title lineage, but all that went out the window when Eric Bischoff said "...since you were the last to hold this belt." to Triple H. Chris Jericho should have be presented the belt (was he on RAW or SD!, then?) if anybody. A tournament would have been better, though.