PDA

View Full Version : What was the most shocking moment in wrestling?

James Steele
07-03-2005, 03:45 PM
Post what you think was the most shocking moment in wrestling.

Disturbed316
07-03-2005, 03:51 PM
Storyline wise: Vince being the higher power

Not storyline: Owen's death and Montreal

:-\

Loose Cannon
07-03-2005, 03:52 PM
Storyline: Hogan turn

same as Disturbed for the non-story

LK
07-03-2005, 04:30 PM
Storyline: Eric Bischoff is announced as GM of Raw

Not Storyline: Owen's death

Just John
07-03-2005, 04:35 PM
Storyline: The Invasion Angle (I was quite young so I didnt see it coming)

Non Storyline: Owen Hart (R.I.P)

Xero
07-03-2005, 04:38 PM
Storyline: Bischoff becomes RAW GM. Not only did hell freeze over, but pigs flew out of every smart's ass.

Non-storyline: Owen's death and the screwjob.

jindrak
07-03-2005, 04:51 PM
Storyline: The Kat shows her boobies.

Non: Montreal Screw-job/Owen's death.

The Answer
07-03-2005, 05:30 PM

Ya,without a doubt the Hogan turn. It changed the face of wrestling for good and no one saw it coming.

John la Rock
07-03-2005, 05:36 PM
Hogan's turn hands down

Cool King
07-03-2005, 05:39 PM
Storyline: Hogan's Turn

Non Storyline: Owen's death (R.I.P) and the announcement of The British Bulldog’s death at the start of RAW (R.I.P), It just came outta nowhere and I was really shocked.

loopydate
07-03-2005, 06:18 PM
Story: Either Hogan being the third "Outsider" at Bash at the Beach or the night Brian Pillman pulled a gun on Austin.

Non-Story: Owen's death.

Watson
07-03-2005, 06:36 PM
Hogan's turn hands down

Batsu
07-03-2005, 06:47 PM

Hogan's turn may perhaps be the G.O.A.T.
It was long overdue, but no one was ready to boo Hulk Hogan, even a good 12 years after he first won the WWF Heavyweight Title.

It's a sad thing that the biggest shockers (non-story) involved the Harts. Owen's death was like the biggest "WTF" ever. and Montreal? Bullshit. When that happened, it opened the door to such disasters like Bash At The Beach 2000 (which was kind of entertaining were it not for Russo being involved).

Fox
07-04-2005, 01:31 AM
Ya,without a doubt the Hogan turn. It changed the face of wrestling for good and no one saw it coming.

I saw it coming. :shifty:

What was the higher power angle? I started watching WWF after that.

Storyline wise: Hogan/nWo or the ECW InVasion on RAW with RVD, Lance Storm and Tommy Dreamer coming through the crowd. Those two, and Jeff Jarrett dropping the NWA Title.

Real Life: Vince Russo and Ed Ferrarra leaving WWF and going to WCW, only to destroy it from the inside out.

The Fugitive
07-04-2005, 01:42 AM
I'll explain it from my memory, but I have to leave soon, so I'm going to copy and paste an detailed explaination of it from a website.

Credit to undertaker-wwe.com: In early January the Undertaker returned to the WWF a changed man. Weeks prior Dennis Knight had been abducted by Faarooq and Bradshaw, who were now calling themselves the Acolytes. They spoke of taking Knight to "Him". A few weeks later "He" was revealed to be the Undertaker, attired in a demonic, druid-like cloak and hood. In a bizarre ritual the Lord Of Darkness initiated him into his service and re-christened him Mideon. At the Royal Rumble, the Dead Man's next target was the 500lb Mabel, who he had his minions attack and abduct as well. The next night Mabel showed up with the Dead Man, reborn as Viscera. Soon afterwards the Brood consisting of Gangrel, Edge and Christian, were also recruited to the Undertaker's dark cause. The Ministry of Darkness was complete, now the Undertaker was ready to begin his unholy mission.

That mission was to take control of the WWF. Undertaker warned that one by one, Vince McMahon's corporation would fall, and that the WWF would then be his! Vince was taking no chances and hoped that by placing the Phenom in the second Inferno match against his brother Kane, that Kane would be able to put the Dead Man away. However the Undertaker was again victorious, setting Kane's foot alight. After the match the Undertaker ominously presented the WWF owner with a burning teddy bear, the sight of which reduced him to tears.

Undertaker claimed that he and the Ministry answered to a higher power, and that this was his bidding. During his messages, Taker would continue to make references to "her" and claim he owned the key to Vince's heart and soul. At one point he even went to Mr McMahon's house, leaving a burning Undertaker symbol outside it for "her" to find. Desperate, Vince hoped that his corporate enforcer the Big Boss Man would be able to end Taker's reign of terror at Wrestlemania XV, in a Hell in a Cell match. However, Undertaker was again dominant and victorious, sending an ominous message to Vince by placing a noose around Boss Man's neck and hanging him from the Cell!

After Wrestlemania, we learned that this mysterious woman who the Undertaker kept making references to was Vince's daughter Stephanie. In a terrifying night for the McMahon family, the Ministry took Stephanie captive at their Dark Lord's bidding. Later in the night Ken Shamrock found her crying and trembling in a boiler room, with an Undertaker symbol on her forehead. In retribution for Shamrock interfering in his plans, the Undertaker abducted his sister Ryan and strapped her to his symbol, "sacrificing" her. The next week, she too was discovered crying in a boiler room. This whole situation was starting to get worrying for the Undertaker's fans. He was displaying an evil side they had never seen from him before, and they didn't like it. He was going too far!

At Backlash, McMahon hoped that an enraged Shamrock would snap the Dead Man's ankle. However, the Undertaker was more than prepared and won a tremendous battle with a Tombstone, and then had Bradshaw administer further punishment to Shamrock after the match. However, the Undertaker was far from through for the night. As the PPV came to a close, the Ministry closed in on a limo with Stephanie McMahon inside. The limo started to leave but Steph pleaded with the driver to wait for Vince. Then the window rolled down, revealing the driver to be the Undertaker! He and a screaming Stephanie then disappeared into the night. The next night the Lord Of Darkness led Vince on a wild goose chase away from the arena, while he had Stephanie brought to the ring strapped to his symbol. It soon became clear that the Dead Man intended to marry Stephanie, and thereby have Vince in his power, and the WWF under his control. Things didn't go the way Undertaker intended though, as a chair wielding Stone Cold Steve Austin came to her rescue and re-united her with her Father.

Undertaker was livid with Austin for ruining his plan, but the plot was about to thicken. It was revealed that Undertaker had an accomplice in this plan all along; none other than Shane McMahon! The Dead Man merged his Ministry of Darkness with Shane's Corporation to form the Corporate Ministry and they began a reign of terror that led to a group of WWF superstars forming a counter-faction named the Union. For a time, this was even lead by Vince McMahon. With the boss' son backing him, the Undertaker was a bigger threat to Steve Austin and his WWF Title than ever before, and a Title match was set up between the two of them at Over The Edge.

At the PPV it was a double special guest referee match with Shane as Taker's referee and Vince as Austin's referee. Undertaker won the match and his third WWE Title win with the help of a quick 1-2-3 count from Shane McMahon. After the PPV, the Undertaker promised to serve up Austin to his Greater Power, and after a beat down from the Corporate Ministry, he did just that. The Greater Power revealed himself to Austin, who looked as if he'd seen a ghost. The next week the Undertaker promised the Greater Power would reveal himself to the world, and he did just that. As the crowd looked on with anticipation, the figure lifted his hood to reveal...Vince McMahon! Vince had been behind the plot all along. Having his own daughter abducted, all just to "teach Stone Cold a lesson".

James Steele
07-04-2005, 02:05 AM
GREATEST THEME MUSIC EVER, btw.

Shaggy
07-04-2005, 06:51 AM
Storyline Wise---- Probably Bischoff on Raw....It was the last thing I think anyone expected at the time...

Non-Storyline Wise---The Death of Chris Candido.....sure the death of Owen and all the others (may they all Rest in Piece) were very shocking. It was very shocking to me when Candido died because it was so unexpected. Everyone knew he broke his ankle and then suddenly its announced that hes died.....just a few days after seeing him on tv. And the sad part is that even after his death we still had to see him for 3 more weeks untill the TV tapings finally caught up with real time. Very sad and very unexpeted......

R.I.P Candido

Hired Hitman
07-04-2005, 07:42 AM
"The next night the Lord Of Darkness led Vince on a wild goose chase away from the arena, while he had Stephanie brought to the ring strapped to his symbol. It soon became clear that the Dead Man intended to marry Stephanie, and thereby have Vince in his power, and the WWF under his control."

Marring Stephanie, gaining power in the company, why didn't I think of that!

:shifty:

Cool King
07-04-2005, 08:00 AM
(Everything you said, it's too long to quote.)

I remember all of that and I was pretty shocked when Vince lifted his hood and said "It's me Austin" and the crowd went mad. :lol: Good Times, Good Times.

Loose Cannon
07-04-2005, 09:08 AM
Fox, thake a look at the newest "Random Rewind" Column on the front page. You'll see the first part of that angle.

Hired Hitman
07-04-2005, 11:12 AM
Oh sure, somebody makes a "Triple H Holds somebody down" joke and gets laughs,

I give you something that really puns on Triple H taking power and I get squat :mad:

Marcyo
07-04-2005, 11:17 AM
lol

Marcyo
07-04-2005, 11:17 AM
:shifty:

Chavo Classic
07-04-2005, 12:47 PM
Non-Storyline Wise---The Death of Chris Candido.....It was very shocking to me when Candido died because it was so unexpected. Everyone knew he broke his ankle and then suddenly its announced that hes died.....just a few days after seeing him on tv.

You're right, it was absolutely shocking. I read that Candido had broken his leg in a match at Lockdown and it really saddened me, because he'd finally cleaned himself up and was really going somewhere.

A few days later, I read somewhere about an honourary to Chris. I thought this was a bit extreme, like "Jeez, he's only broken his leg, I'm sure he'll be fine". Turns out he'd died of a blood clot from surgery complications, most likely caused by flying out to Universal Studios to appear on Impact. In the end, it was his own dedication which killed him. It was very sad, and made me think about my life as well - he was only ten years older than I.

Psycho C
07-04-2005, 01:27 PM
Storyline: Jericho winning the WWF Championship on Raw...then having it stolen from him minutes later thanks to a reversed decision.

Also, the appearance of Eric Bischoff during the Billy/Chuck wedding fiasco.

Non-storyline: Edge cheats on his wife with Lita, effectively forcing Matt Hardy out of the WWE.

The death of Owen Hart as well as the Montreal Screwjob.

Lotus
07-04-2005, 02:01 PM
Storyline (From what I've Seen, don't watch too much): Austin's alliance with Vince at Wrestlemania 17.

Non-Storyline: Bret Hart getting fucked by Vince.

Corkscrewed
07-04-2005, 02:18 PM
Without reading the others... Owen's death is the obvious answer.

Chavo Classic
07-04-2005, 02:33 PM
The Radicalz jumping ship to Raw deserves a honourable mention.

vampiro03
07-04-2005, 04:01 PM
Bash at the Beach 2000 Hogan gets screwed by Jerrett and Russo. Not fake. 100% real. just like montreal accept that russo runs away

LK
07-04-2005, 04:14 PM
Most of BATB was scripted. The shoot interview by Russo wasn't planned but the way the match went down was all planned.

vampiro03
07-04-2005, 04:18 PM
Most of BATB was scripted. The shoot interview by Russo wasn't planned but the way the match went down was all planned.

that has never been confirmed. neither hogan nor russo have said, it looked pretty damn real to me and to say "the reason the company is in the sape its in is because of bullshit like this" hogans whole reaction just looked too real, hogan is a horrable actor everyone knows that.

SuperSlim
07-04-2005, 04:58 PM
that has never been confirmed. neither hogan nor russo have said, it looked pretty damn real to me and to say "the reason the company is in the sape its in is because of bullshit like this" hogans whole reaction just looked too real, hogan is a horrable actor everyone knows that.

indeed he is brother.

Loose Cannon
07-04-2005, 05:31 PM
nah, it's been confirmed that the whole thing was a work by both Russo and Hogan. Hogan was planned to leave that night and the Russo interview was planned.

But Russo added a little more harsh words then what was agreed on and Hogan got a little ticked off.

vampiro03
07-04-2005, 06:11 PM
nah, it's been confirmed that the whole thing was a work by both Russo and Hogan. Hogan was planned to leave that night and the Russo interview was planned.

But Russo added a little more harsh words then what was agreed on and Hogan got a little ticked off.

since lc says so, i must believe it is true. I have searched and searched and the whole thing is so hush hush. I've never seen or heard anything. if it was a work it was one of the best EVER.

Loose Cannon
07-04-2005, 06:21 PM
read Death of WCW

Disturbed316
07-04-2005, 06:24 PM
Awesome book btw.

Innovator
07-04-2005, 07:49 PM
Jericho's 10 minute world title reign in 2000. What a fuckin glorious 10 minutes they were.

And yeah Owen's death and the breakdown of the Hart family in general.

The One
07-04-2005, 07:50 PM
I am not sure I can give you one, but I certainly can give you all a top ten most shocking moments for me as a fan...

Shane Douglas drops the NWA World Heavyweight Title
I remember seeing a tape of the event from a friend of mine. Like alot of ECW and NWA fans from back then, there wasn't an internet with all the info all around, so my friend bought this tape and heard that the end of the event would shock us. I don't know that I spoke a single word for about 2 hours after seeing it. We sat there in complete and utter shock.

Owen Hart's Death
Words aren't needed.

The dawning of the nWo/Hogan's Heel turn
The one day, the only day in the history of days, that I enjoyed Hulk Hogan. I was about to shit myself with joy to see Hogan get trash thrown at him. My lord was it wonderful. Plus the moment it happened I thought the nWo and the Horsemen would have a big fued...but I was under the impression that Flair would go over Hogan...my mistake. :(

July 9, 2001 - RAW (The InVasion is taken to the Extreme)
I thought my ECW was dead, and to see it alive once again, I was so shocked and excited. Just one of those moments that made me love wrestling.

Montreal
I was happy, always was a bigger Michaels fan then Hart. And at the time I was just getting into internet wrestling news and I started to learn of Hart's demands, I stand firm the same as I did back then, it doesn't matter what contract says what or anything of the sort deems is right, it is my opinion that Hart should have dropped the title as soon as McMahon asked him to. But without a doubt shocking.

March 26, 2001 - NITRO (WCW dies)
I never saw it coming. I remember hearing a few rumors about someone (probably Bischoff) was going to buy WCW, but I never thought McMahon would. To see him open up Nitro was very jaw dropping.

The moment hell froze over
http://www.obsessedwithwrestling.com/pictures/04/bischvince1.jpg

Raven returns to ECW
Not only to return, but to help Tommy Dreamer win the Tag Titles. For anyone who was a ECW fan, seeing that on the first ECW on TNN show (well technically the second, but the first was just a highlight show) it felt like a whole new chapter for ECW...how I envy the feeling I had that day.

Ric Flair shows up on WWF programming
For me, Ric Flair was my idol. I glorified the man. He was the NWA in my eyes. And I am sure we qall know my feelings on NWA, so to see him on WWF shows, I guess I am greatful since I would have never watched WWF without him showing up, but I felt like my guts fell out of my ass when my friend called me to tell me to watch WWF cause Flair was on it.

Mick Foley winning the WWF World Title
For someone who had been a fan of him for most of my life, to see him FINALLY get the credit that he deserves, it was not only shocking but heart warming.

Yeah I would say those are the top ten most shocking moments for me.

vampiro03
07-04-2005, 09:00 PM
Sids leg was pretty shocking.

Mae Young exposing her 2nd set of knees on ppv was VERY shocking (and disturbing)

Tiken
07-04-2005, 10:58 PM
Storyline: The Birth of the hand

Non: Montreal Screw-job/Owen's death.

BatistaBomb
07-04-2005, 11:21 PM
hogans turn hands down BUT how bout hbk's turn tonight that was pretty damn shocking

Savio
07-04-2005, 11:24 PM
It could have been when Goldberg came on Raw to spear Rock but they annouced gold berg being at backlash earlier in the night.

Batsu
07-04-2005, 11:43 PM
another shocking moment...

seeing that RAW segment when Bret Hart cut an ECW-esque promo, littered with curse words...ending with "TOUGH SHIT!"

even watching it now, years after it happened was like... "WTF?"