PDA

View Full Version : Rugby- Southern Hemisphere All-Stars vs. Norther Hemisphere All-Stars

Ol Dirty Dastard
07-04-2005, 09:10 PM
I just want to see what people's sides would be if there was a game between the two. First I shall construct my Southern Hemisphere side, and I'll do my northern one a bit later, because I'm lazy.

So we'll start with the SH pack.

Loosehead prop- Os Du Randt...let's get serious, there is no better loosehead in the world, he is absolutely immense, big tackles, insane scrummaging, he is a South African god.

Hooker- I want to say John Smit, just because he's a smart player and is quality, but I dunno...it's between him and Mealamu...I'll go with Smit, just because of his leadership qualities and his loose play.

Tighthead- Kease Meuwes, he's just a scary individual, I'd use him on loosehead or tighthead, he's going to damage you...just ask Ben Darwin

Lock- Chris Jack for sure, probably one of the best players in the world if not best lock. He's a hardman, as well as intensely skilled with the ball in hand, and money in the lineout.

Lock- Vic Matfield...he isn't as hard as Jack but he's just as if not moreso skilled and equally as money in the lineouts, and is a threat in the loose.

Blindside Flank- ugh...there is so much talent here and it's so hard to choose, but I'll go with Jerry Collins, just because of shere force and intimidation. He'll be able to compliment his flanking partner...

Openside Flank- Schalk Burger Jr., IRB player of the year in '04, need I say more?

8th man- Surprisingly, I find this to be the weakest position here, I'll go with David Lyons out of Aussie, because he's generally somewhat effective but I find the class here lacking...Big Joe Van Niekerk would have been my first choice, but he's gone down the shitter, and Jaque Cronier is crap. Rodney So'ai'alo is okay, but not really enough to catch my attention.

Scrumhalf- George Gregan...I hate the little cunt, but by god is he incredible.

Flyhalf- Dan Carter, without 2nd thought...Stephen Larkham still has it, and I'd have him on the bench and Jaco Van Der Weisthuizen has been atrocious in test play.

Inside Centre- Loti Taquiri, he's a dick but he's quality and he's always a constant threat. He's also a hard bastard.

Outside Centre- Brian Habana, this guy is nothing but explosive, and has a long career ahead of him. He's a consumate try scorer

Blindside Wing- Dougy Howlett, mostly because he's Dougy Howlett.

Openside Wing (fuck I think that's what it's called)- Clyde Rathbone, again, a pure tryscorer, he'd be giving people fits.

Fullback- Percy Montgomery, mostly for the sake of his boot, but also since he went and played in Wales, his game has picked up like I never thought it could, and he's all around a solid player.

Bench:
Justin Marshall
Bakkies Botha
Richie McCaw
George Smith
Brent Russel
De Wet Barry
Kevin Mealamu
Carl Heyman
Stephen Larkham
Aaron Mauger

Okay, so post your sides, would you keep your Souther Hemisphere side the same? What would your Northern Hemisphere look like to combat that?

Who would win? IMO Souther Hemisphere All-Stars would kill any Northern Hemisphere all-star side...maybe between 2001-2003 that wasn't the case, but momentum has shifted since.

Bad Company
07-04-2005, 10:41 PM
I would probably lose howlett and bring in Sivivatu, the guy is a try scoring machine, Maybe even Rocokoko for Howlett.
I don't know if Loti Taquiri has the skills as an inside centre, he's a powerhouse but that's about it. Aaron Mauger would bring alot of skill to the position, or even bringing in Larkham at 1st 5 and pushing Carter to 2nd 5 could do the trick.

Ol Dirty Dastard
07-04-2005, 11:16 PM
How about Breyton Paulse for Howlett :p

Bad Company
07-04-2005, 11:23 PM
Sivivatu should be all over Paulse, but we'll see in the tri-nations ;)

Ol Dirty Dastard
07-04-2005, 11:34 PM
No you won't, Breyton's been left off the squad. It's Habana and De Villiers on the wings.

I can respect that, but I don't see the point in keeping Barry and Joubert as the centres when Habana and De Villiers could easily fill the void, and you could put Breyton on the wing.

Wengerland
07-05-2005, 08:33 AM
How's Jaco van der Westhuyzen doing now, Dale? i loved him and he could have came back to Leicester after a year in Japan but i think we decided against it because of Andy Goode's form :(

I'll post a Northern Hemisphere side in a bit, but the Southern Hemisphere one would win anyway.