PDA

View Full Version : NHL, the fun continues...

YOUR Hero
07-06-2005, 09:52 PM
LOL, I hope it all happens. I really do

Story #1 - Crosby negotiating with Swiss club

Hockey phenom Sidney Crosby is in contract talks with Swiss club Lugano, The Canadian Press has learned.

With the NHL set to unveil a new collective bargaining agreement with tough new limits on entry-level contracts, a source said Wednesday that Crosby has been offered a three-year deal that could be worth as much as $10 million US including a multimillion-dollar signing bonus by the Swiss club.

Crosby's agent Pat Brisson of IMG admitted negotiations were taking place. But he would not confirm any financial details.

rest of the story (http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp?id=129769)

No story (yet) for my other point. Anyway.... Scott Walker of the Nashville Predators said on talk radio that the players deal might be about to be ratified, but that doesn't mean the players will accept it. He said it would be close. He mentioned that the players have lost EVERYTHING, so they might not sign this deal in an attempt to gain back some concessions.

###

:rofl:

MoRcHeEbA
07-06-2005, 10:00 PM
he won't sign, his "endorsement" deals with Reebok and Gatorade probably have something in their contracts saying he would need to play in north america.

MoRcHeEbA
07-06-2005, 10:03 PM
also he will make more money in the NHL no matter what.

Zen v.W.o.
07-06-2005, 10:03 PM
Walker is an idiot and needs to tow the line now like Sean Avery, who earlier basically told Goodenow to fuck right off. I have no pity for either side, I just want Hockey. Walker needs to know they cant waste more fucking time.
Somebody find him and beat some sense into him.

Oh yeah, and I'm already sick of Crosby. Tired of hearing about him. Although if he signs with his fave team the Habs, I will be happy. I still wont trade in my Zednik jersey though.

YOUR Hero
07-06-2005, 10:22 PM
Walker stated his statements weren't meant to come across as a bad guy, but just as a 'reporter', basically. He was simply stating what he's heard. (I wish there was a link to this story) but he said (I'm positive anyway) that he's afraid it might not pass. IE, He's voting for it.

Cheebs,
Fuck Reebok, he can get another big endorsement in Europe, not to mention that Reebok seels shit over seas as well. So.... So yeah.

MoRcHeEbA
07-06-2005, 10:45 PM
yeah, I know they sell their shit over there. Regardless though he will make more in endorsements in North America than over there anyway. I think this is probably just a back up plan if some shit goes down with the NHL in the coming weeks that screws up.

Baio
07-06-2005, 10:49 PM
Unfortunately, nobody cares about the NHL anymore.

MoRcHeEbA
07-06-2005, 10:54 PM
yes, no one in the states has ever cared actually.

YOUR Hero
07-06-2005, 10:59 PM
yeah, I know they sell their shit over there. Regardless though he will make more in endorsements in North America than over there anyway. I think this is probably just a back up plan if some shit goes down with the NHL in the coming weeks that screws up.
Last time I looked, Europe was more populous than Canada/USA. Ergo, the money via ensorsements over there is very lucrative. Stop kidding yourself.

Jesus Shuttlesworth
07-06-2005, 11:18 PM
The thing is, is he really going to make that MUCH more money over there? Like would it be worth to live in a place you are completely unfimiliar with. Not be able to speak the native language and all that. I know if I was a professional athlete and I had a choice between 8 mil/year here and 10 mil/year over there. I think I would stay put because 8 mil/year is pretty damn good to me, plus I wouldn't have to hate my living conditions.

I really don't know what the money difference would be though between here and there as I'm not much of a hockey follower. I never really was before, but especially after this bullshit I can't see myself watching a random Bruins game here or there

BCWWF
07-07-2005, 01:51 AM
While Europe is more populous then USA/Canada, wouldn't a Swiss league team only play in Switzerland? I don't know how the hockey leagues work over there, but I always assumed that each country kind of had their own, like they do for soccer/football.

YOUR Hero
07-07-2005, 10:20 AM
The thing is, is he really going to make that MUCH more money over there? Like would it be worth to live in a place you are completely unfimiliar with. Not be able to speak the native language and all that. I know if I was a professional athlete and I had a choice between 8 mil/year here and 10 mil/year over there. I think I would stay put because 8 mil/year is pretty damn good to me, plus I wouldn't have to hate my living conditions.

I really don't know what the money difference would be though between here and there as I'm not much of a hockey follower. I never really was before, but especially after this bullshit I can't see myself watching a random Bruins game here or there
Well this new CBA is reported to pay rookies no more than 850,000 a year, for the first three years. If he's all about money (and why the hell not) thats a huge difference. Not to mention the taxation breaks from Switzerland.

Jesus Shuttlesworth
07-07-2005, 03:18 PM
Rookies max contract is 850,000? Wow that is pretty damn low for a professional sport - that can't be right.

MoRcHeEbA
07-07-2005, 03:22 PM
that's what they say, but they haven't said anything about the possibilities of making bonuses and Crosby will get his max deal allowed for sure. Not to mention why would he take 3 years of his career to play in europe when the NHL records will make him alot more money then the swiss records.

The Gooch
07-08-2005, 07:47 AM
I sure hope Crosby doesn't sign with the Swiss League. I just heard on the radio this morning that if the CBA is ratified we may have the NHL Draft in Ottawa on July 30th. I would really like to be there to see Sidney get drafted. I don't think he will be another Gretz like everyone is making him out to be, but I'm pretty sure he wont be another Alexander Daigle either.

Sign the fucking deal dudes and let the healing begin. The owners and players need as much time as possible to repair the damage they have done. A huge marketing strategy is necessary.

If they are going to change some of the rules to make the game more exciting I want to hear about them now rather than a few weeks before they get on the ice.

YOUR Hero
07-08-2005, 10:09 AM
that's what they say, but they haven't said anything about the possibilities of making bonuses and Crosby will get his max deal allowed for sure. Not to mention why would he take 3 years of his career to play in europe when the NHL records will make him alot more money then the swiss records.
What are you saying?

If IF Crosby went over to Europe, made 8 million a season (or whatever) and did really well, he'd come back to the NHL as a free agent and could sign with anyone with huge money. Should he go over there and play shit, it means he wouldn't have done any better in the NHL, yet he'll still have made his 8 million a year over there.

Fuck records.
I'm not even sure I understand what you are implying here, with records.

Adder
07-08-2005, 04:38 PM
Here's a really interesing article. Have a read.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/news?slug=knight-_WWW_12041818&prov=knight&type=lgns

MoRcHeEbA
07-08-2005, 04:41 PM
Crosby said today that if the NHL is a go this season it will be where he plays. Europe is nothing more than a back up plan. according to TSN anyway.

MoRcHeEbA
07-08-2005, 04:42 PM
Here's a really interesing article. Have a read.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/news?slug=knight-_WWW_12041818&prov=knight&type=lgns

very good article, however if Toronto or New York land Crosby in the draft I will be pissed :mad:

Adder
07-08-2005, 04:52 PM
Could you imagine say Detroit, Tampa Bay or Colorado getting Crosby. Or what about the opposite side of the coin, Nashville or Atlanta?

I know this is nationalistic of me, but I think a Canadian team should get him.
(<font sixe=1>A west coast Canadian team</font>)

The Outlaw
07-08-2005, 05:04 PM
NASHVILLE BABY

MoRcHeEbA
07-08-2005, 05:22 PM
I actually wouldn't mind him playing on a team like Atlanta or nashville they need a player like that more so down in the southern states to keep their teams alive rather than say a Toronto or Vancouver.

The Outlaw
07-08-2005, 05:48 PM
Exactly what I was thinking...

Hell, I would goto a game in Nashville/Atlanta if he played there. He would draw some very nice crowds I think.

El Vaquero de Infierno
07-08-2005, 06:13 PM
"Rule changes

At some point, expect the following to change:

• A shootout after a five-minute overtime.

• No-touch icing.

• Reduction of the neutral zone.

• Moving the nets closer to the boards.

• Reduced size of goalie equipment.

• Red line will be discounted, thus allowing two-line passes.

• Introduction of a competition committee.

NHL officials sound as if they want to see if these changes increase scoring before making what they feel is a drastic move in expanding the size of nets. If these changes do not work, nets may be expanded for 2006-07."

What is the point of a scoring free-for-all? Maybe it is just me but it would get boring if there was a ton of goals every match, instead of watching a team having to actually earn a goal by putting pressure on the other team and playing a technically sound game.

Zen v.W.o.
07-08-2005, 06:22 PM
It's more about improving the flow of the game and increasing scoring chances, then scoring more goals. Goals will be scored if the players can score them, simple as. But improving the flow and increasing the scoring chances are all that is needed. Notice how back even in the early to mid 90's, there was not as much cycling once in the offensive zone, and barely any board play. Now they always seem stuck on the boards, and the trap clogs up the middle.

MoRcHeEbA
07-08-2005, 06:30 PM
they should have gotten rid of the Red line like 5 years ago. Also I thought I read somewhere they were thinking of adding tag-up offsides.

BCWWF
07-08-2005, 08:12 PM
They use tag-up offsides in our high school leagues here and I think it works pretty well.

And about the Crosby thing, I also don't think it would be that bad for him to go to Nashville or Atlanta. Wayne Gretzky played on the Kings after all.

YOUR Hero
07-08-2005, 08:40 PM
Nashville is ok, fuck Atlanta though, they don't even go to the games and they have a dynamic offence already. I don't believe this 'everybody having an equal chance' thing either. We all know one of the weaker teams will end up with him.

Great article, btw Adder. Man, can you imagine all those potential free agents.

BCWWF
07-08-2005, 08:57 PM
The one thing I'm not sure about from that article is the uniform changes. Reebok? Sleek? No sweaters? I don't know.

Torii Hunter just hit an RBI single

YOUR Hero
07-08-2005, 09:41 PM
Put them in Cooperalls.