PDA

View Full Version : How to save the Tag Division.

What Would Kevin Do?
07-11-2005, 03:24 AM
Okay, let's be honest, shall we? The tag division is fucked. Nearly all of the "real" teams, have vanished... We have Hurricane and Rosey, MNM, the heartthrobs, and the BWO in theory... 2 real teams per show. There has to be a way to fix this. My personal idea would be to create a rotating tagteam title.

Granted, this may sound crazy, but think about it. What if the tag team belts could be defended individually as a singles title. For example Hurricane and Rosey are the champs.. But in a singles match, Rosey loses his belt to Tajiri. This makes Tajiri and the Hurricane champs. They defends the belts together. Eventually, Tajiri or Hurricane could lose their title, altering the team, or they could lose a tag team match, creating totally new champions...

This would fit what the WWE is doing anyway. If they're just going to throw together tag teams, why not give a legit reason for doing it. This way, we can have a fresh tag division constantly, with both random teams and teams the fans have come to love....

Granted, this would probably work better on Raw, as Smackdown seems to slowly be building up again.

Drakul
07-11-2005, 03:36 AM
I had that idea a few years back,out of boredom.Yeah that would be very intresting to watch for me.

Chavo Classic
07-11-2005, 04:14 AM
I'm a traditionalist when it comes to stuff like this, messing with the fabric of the tag team division is probably something I would contest.

But this IS a tasty burger, I mean a good idea.

So, maybe have the tag team division done in this way for a short term, temporary period by law of Eric Bischoff. Just like the Hardcore title was, for a short period, defended on a 24/7 rule

PullMyFinger
07-11-2005, 05:01 AM
I say just like how cruiserweights are on one show...put tag teams in one show...Raw.

Impact!
07-11-2005, 05:50 AM
Actually I'd like to see the tag division, as mentioned by WWKD, but with the 24/7 rule implied, like chavo jnr jnr mentioned.

with this it could bring about interesting storylines/partnerships and championship runs.

You could, for example, Hurricane and Rosey start with the titles.

H and R are hanging around backstage when Doug Basham runs in and sneak attacks rosey and hurricane. doug then pins rosey to become the tag champ.

Later, in a match against the heartthrobs, rosey comes down and lays out doug, goes for the cover ut the heartthrobs kick him off and make the pin. Now because this was a official match, the heartthrobs win both titles.

later on in another match two enemies, lets say hogan and HBK face off against the heartthrobs as ordered by eric bischoff. somehow throughtout all the fighting btween the two they get the pin resulting in new tag champs.

Later that day/week/month/whenever, hogan and Hbk fight backstage and HBK and Hogan both get knocked out, and HBK lands on top of hogan as a random referee walks by and makes the 3 count, making HBK the new single Tag champ.

Later again HBK faces some team, hogan interfers and they win the titles to become the tag champs.

----------

now remember that was just an example, but if done correctly could be great additions for pushs (a long lasting title raign as all his partners get beaton down and losing their title, with him always just escapoing with the title), also for interesting angles with fueds (see the HBK V Hogan thing), and the 24/7 rule could be used as an advantage for stables, for example the mexicools. Super Crazy and Psycosis win the titles. Psycosis is tired from an earlier beat down from which he escaped or from a match earlier that week. So he lies down and Juvi makes the pin, so that the mexicools have their freshest people wrestling, or even have them continuesly switching the titles so the know one knows who is holding it, It could be crazy and psycosis, crazy and juvi, or even Juvi by himself.

so yeah a bit jumbled but hopefully it makes sense :y:

Afterlife
07-11-2005, 09:18 AM
That's crazy.

PorkSoda
07-11-2005, 10:22 AM
Tag teams should be on one show. I think Smackdown, but Raw could do. The idea that Kevin had is interesting, I'd like to see it.

Whenever WWE runs out of ideas, they should say "What Would Kevin Do?" :y:

blake639raw
07-11-2005, 12:32 PM
I think they should just keep it the way it is, just create a bunch of new tag teams with the talented guys they have who are just floating around doing nothing. I would like to see Morley/Conway maybe start a heel team. Might as well reform LaRes with Dupree/Grenier. Tomko/Snitsky (or any other hoss) would be another idea. I mean, you look at the New Age Outlaws. Neither one of them had anything going on in singles action, they became a team, and just instantly clicked. So you never know. Meanie and Nova can be a team on SD. Really, with all the talent they got contracted, they don't need to do anything too drastic to save tag team wrestling. Just make some decent teams. Period.

PureHatred
07-11-2005, 12:38 PM
:y:

Chavo Classic
07-11-2005, 12:39 PM
It's really as simple as putting two guys in matching wrestling attire and giving them a nice entrance. They don't even have to be the two most talented guys on the roster.

Morgan
07-11-2005, 02:23 PM
What does everyone think about making the tag titles interpromotional. One set of belts but defended on both shows. Give the tag titles a unique status to make them special from the other titles. Storyline wise- I thought this status could be used for guys that are trying to get at each other from different shows (I.E someone from RAW trying to get to someone on Smackdown-Smackdown have the champs so he goes over on the pretense of going for the tag belts).

Mind you something like that would probably only work once.

Chavo Classic
07-11-2005, 02:25 PM
What does everyone think about making the tag titles interpromotional. One set of belts but defended on both shows. Give the tag titles a unique status to make them special from the other titles. Storyline wise- I thought this status could be used for guys that are trying to get at each other from different shows (I.E someone from RAW trying to get to someone on Smackdown-Smackdown have the champs so he goes over on the pretense of going for the tag belts).

Mind you something like that would probably only work once.

Sad thing is that at the moment there aren't enough teams for a strong division on just one show, never mind two. It'd be like the invasion again - jobber from one show taking on mid carder from anohter.

Morgan
07-11-2005, 02:33 PM
Sad thing is that at the moment there aren't enough teams for a strong division on just one show, never mind two. It'd be like the invasion again - jobber from one show taking on mid carder from anohter.

Good point. Anyone starting to miss the Dudleys?

Corkscrewed
07-11-2005, 03:00 PM
In regards to the title... they can start by creating and sustaining actual tag teams, getting about 6 teams per show, all gunning after the title. And the main storyline is just going after it and trying to win it. Maybe create an X-Division style ranking if you want, so that there's always someone waiting in the wings to take away your belt.

That alone can easily create a thriving tag division full of excitement, and you'd be anxious to see if new champs are crowned this week or not. And you don't even need a "real" storyline... just the spirit of competition.

And yet it doesn't happen... it boggles me, because it's so easy (at least IMO). But yeah... how about MAINTAINING actual teams? *sigh*

Morgan
07-11-2005, 04:29 PM
In regards to the title... they can start by creating and sustaining actual tag teams, getting about 6 teams per show, all gunning after the title. And the main storyline is just going after it and trying to win it. Maybe create an X-Division style ranking if you want, so that there's always someone waiting in the wings to take away your belt.

That alone can easily create a thriving tag division full of excitement, and you'd be anxious to see if new champs are crowned this week or not. And you don't even need a "real" storyline... just the spirit of competition.

And yet it doesn't happen... it boggles me, because it's so easy (at least IMO). But yeah... how about MAINTAINING actual teams? *sigh*

If I were a WWE writer, I'd shoot you for making sense.

Kane Knight
07-11-2005, 05:06 PM
Old ideas again.

Okay, Tag Titles shared: Requires the tage team holders to do double duty, something not huge with a lot of wrestlers these days, especially with it being a longer term deal.

Tag teamers on one show: That means that you still have the same problems either of the single tage team titles has: Lack of competition. Unlike the CW title, you can BECOME a tag team. This would necessitate that wrestlers hop shows if you want to farm tag team competition from the other show.

The women's titles and CW titles are both pretty static. With rare exceptions you're not going to "become" a woman or a cruiserweight. Tag teams break up regularly, it's expected. Then you have to pull two people together in the exact same environment you have it now. I mean, you could give a SHORT TERM boost to the TT Belt by moving the tage teams on one show to the other, but that doesn't work beyond the first couple of months.

This makes the shared TTBelts the superior option (Though OLD), but it's not very plausible.

Kane Knight
07-11-2005, 05:16 PM
Now here's how to REALLY save the Tag Team divisions:

Numbers: We need to have more than one tage team contender and one title holder.
Chemistry: Okay, aside from the one contender they have, they usually throw a couple guys together. BUZZ! Wrong. We need tag teams people give a shit about. And let's remember that the Heartbreakers, SHIT, and such aren't a good way to make the division look SERIOUS!.
Defend the GOD DAMNED belts! When they rarely get defended, there's no point to having them.
Main eventers: Remember when people like Austin and Michaels tag teamed? Foley, the Rock, big stars? Remember when it wasn't "unless you're the WHT, you're a sack of shit?" If you don't it's because they tend to have only dedicated tag teamers and the jobber teams. I'm not saying just throw a couple guys together, but main eventers can do the tag team thing. I mean, Eddie was doing it not too long ago. See? Even the WWE remembers! Sorta.

Batsu
07-11-2005, 07:25 PM
It's really as simple as putting two guys in matching wrestling attire and giving them a nice entrance. They don't even have to be the two most talented guys on the roster.

Hence the Bashams.

They actually got over as a tag team because of this.