PDA

View Full Version : Old Nintendo Music

darkpower
07-20-2005, 12:25 AM
I was exploring my various NSF collection (NSF, or Nintendo Sound File, is a file containing several if not all of the tracks from NES games. These aren't the midis, these are the real deals, one NSF per game, though), and listening to various old-school game music, and figured out the following things:

Some of the music's really sort, but loops endlessly. You would get only 30 or so seconds of music, and then that 30 seconds looped over and over.
Only three instruments were allowed by NES carts. Very limited options there.
For some reason, the music on Konami/Ultra carts have this snare drum that is as if it was muffled (best description I can put to it). It somehow, in some way, make their music sound low tech. There were other companies that did it this way, but Konami (who does the MGS series now), was the one that did this the most.
What NES game you think had the best in-game music (most of the Megaman games for me)?

Y2Ant
07-20-2005, 01:52 PM
Batman or Double Dragon, I dunno, there are a lot of them I like.

I got NSFs, SPCs (SNES), GYMs (Genesis) and all sorts of other console soundtracks that I converted to mp3s, got 1500 songs on my videogame music playlist now :cool:

The looping can get a bit annoying sometimes, like that one song in double dragon (the cave level with the falling spikes) is only like 10 seconds long and looped mad times, never realise it when playing the game.