PDA

View Full Version : How did certain guys get so over?

SuperSlim
07-23-2005, 03:22 PM
Aight Zen sent me the IYH Cold Day in Hell PPV and I'm at the Ahmed match up and I'm just in awe. I mean the man comes out to an ovations.

How did he get to be so over? It isn't like he was really good in the ring. It wasn't like he was good on the mic.

I'm just curious as to how. I'm sure there are tohers out there that were mega over without any real reason but I just had to ask.

Loose Cannon
07-23-2005, 03:30 PM
because he came in and just kicked ass and most importanly faught against the odds with The Nation. It would be like 5 on 1 sometimes and Ahmed would be kicking major ass. And he did some powerhouse moves, which were cool at the time.

The audience will always buy guys like that

McLegend
07-23-2005, 03:32 PM
He got so over because he was really big and strong and kind of domiant.

Also feuding with good wrestlers such as the British bulldog helps to.

edit: damn you LC :rant:

Psycho C
07-23-2005, 03:46 PM
And yet he was reduced to fighting Booker T in a match to decide who had the right to use the inital "T."

Gouda
07-23-2005, 04:16 PM
because he came in and just kicked ass and most importanly faught against the odds with The Nation. It would be like 5 on 1 sometimes and Ahmed would be kicking major ass. And he did some powerhouse moves, which were cool at the time.

Yeah. I agree with the above statement.

I remember I loved Ahmed Johnson.

Teaming with the LOD to fight the NOD.

SuperSlim
07-23-2005, 08:10 PM

always making valid points.

alright what about some other guys?

Stickman
07-24-2005, 02:09 PM
At the risk of getting flamed, I don't know how Batista, Kane, and Matt Hardy got over.

Please don't kill me.

Loose Cannon
07-24-2005, 02:11 PM
Batista and Kane: Big guys kicking ass just like Ahmed. The audience sees them as monsters and they buy them.

Matt Hardy is over right now because of the whole Edge fiasco and people just dying to see him. He wasn't really that over before.

Savio
07-24-2005, 02:15 PM
Batista: Could be anybody if you put Johnny Stamboli/Mark Jindrak/Chris Masters in his shoes we'd be seeing the same thing.

Innovator
07-24-2005, 02:28 PM
Nah the assocation with The H and the teases of Batista ruining H's shit got him over.

Londoner
07-24-2005, 03:00 PM
And yet he was reduced to fighting Booker T in a match to decide who had the right to use the inital "T."

Shit, do i not have the rights to use 'T' in my name now?

PureHatred
07-24-2005, 03:31 PM
All the comments about big guys getting over by squashing everyone in sight even if they don't seem to have any actual skills like wrestling or cutting promos and nobody has mentioned Bill Goldberg yet. Crazy.

John la Rock
07-24-2005, 05:30 PM
Batista: Could be anybody if you put Johnny Stamboli/Mark Jindrak/Chris Masters in his shoes we'd be seeing the same thing.

sure

:roll:

Boondock Saint
07-24-2005, 05:47 PM

LOL, totally forgot about that. Ridiculous.

LK
07-24-2005, 05:52 PM
Going to have to disagree with that.

RP
07-24-2005, 05:59 PM
The jury is still out on Batista IMO

Kane was a major badass and in the late 90's when he showed up as UNdertaker's evil brother. That was some good shit. Now Kane sucks imo. He needs the mask back. That mask just made him more evil.

Matt Hardy got over in 3 ways.

1) He teamed with Jeff Hardy. Jeff basically put Matt on the map with his high flying suicide moves. It wasnt Jeff Hardy. It was the Hardy boys. So Matt was put over by association.

2) The Mattitude gimmick was one of the best gimmick the WWE produced. Too bad they didnt roll him up the ladder and get him involved in the IC title picture. They may have had a superstar.

3) Edge banged Lita.

The Answer
07-24-2005, 06:00 PM

No way man. Batista just has the bad ass beast look down. Masters and Jindrak look like preepy guys and Stamboli isn't big enough. Batista just looks like the kind of guy that would work for the mob and break your legs...

RP
07-24-2005, 06:02 PM
Batista looks like the kind of guy that would break your legs in front of your family and then be invited to dinner by your family.

Pepsi Man
07-24-2005, 07:33 PM
Batista and Kane: Big guys kicking ass just like Ahmed. The audience sees them as monsters and they buy them.

Matt Hardy is over right now because of the whole Edge fiasco and people just dying to see him. He wasn't really that over before.
Actually, Kane was over even before his own debut, considering he was the much anticipated "Undertaker's brother". ;)

Aussie Skier
07-24-2005, 08:03 PM
ahmed was ok

always aa very average worker, but I thought he was alright.
my god he was roided up good tho!

loopydate
07-24-2005, 11:01 PM
Lex Luger?

Savio
07-25-2005, 01:29 AM
Nah the assocation with The H and the teases of Batista ruining H's shit got him over.Yeah if you put Jindrak where Batista was he'd be champ right now too.

Vastardikai
07-25-2005, 02:25 AM
I remember my first impression of Ahmed Johnson:

"That's Ahmed, he is standing behind Yokozuna. This is gonna be intense. Yoko's turning around: HE F***ING SLAMMED YOKO LIKE HE WASN'T S***! THIS GUY IS AWESOME!"

Keep in mind, the difference between when Ahmed slammed him and when Luger slammed was about an extra 100 lbs, and Luger barely got the big guy over. Ahmed made it look easy. There are such things as making a good First Impression. That was a DAMN GOOD First Impression.

As far as Batista being over, I say it's easy. The Triple H feud is a big part of it. Another part is that he is not as utterly horrible as some people here want to believe. He doesn't run alot of plays, but the ones he does run he runs well, to take a line from JR. His promos are kind of Under-stated, and remind me, to a degree, of Arn Anderson. He could get his point across and not have to yell like a complete idiot.

Fox
07-25-2005, 03:30 AM
Lex Luger?

Lex Luger got over in a time when being a good wrestler really had nothing to do with getting over. It was a time when all you needed was "the look" (i.e. Hulk Hogan, Andre the Giant, Yokozuna), and he had that all American look and body-builder physique that Vince McMahon gets hard over. Lex was made to look like a million dollars, and the fans bought it. That cool torture rack finisher helped too.

I wanna know how Chyna ever got over. I have always hated Chyna, even when she was with the "cool" DX. Talk about a super butch. How did it come to fruition that she became the intercontinental champion, got her own video, and even her own autobiography?

Pepsi Man
07-26-2005, 11:53 AM
Lex Luger got over in a time when being a good wrestler really had nothing to do with getting over.
To be fair, how much of a "good wrestler" do you have to be today to get over?

McLegend
07-26-2005, 02:33 PM
In any day you don't have to be a good wrestler to be over

Innovator
07-26-2005, 02:38 PM
To be fair, how much of a "good wrestler" do you have to be today to get over?see case in point: Cena, John

SuperSlim
07-26-2005, 02:55 PM
Masters, Chris

Just have "the look" and you can go places.

Stickman
07-26-2005, 08:31 PM
I'd like to add Edge to my list. Ever since E&C split, he's been shit.

vampiro03
07-26-2005, 09:41 PM
In any day you don't have to be a good wrestler to be over

Duggan, Jim

Fox
07-26-2005, 11:26 PM
Look at the wrestlers who are truly over today:
-Triple H
-Chris Jericho
-John Cena (much better than he is allowed to show)
-Christian
-Rey Mysterio
-Eddie Guerrero
-Kurt Angle
-Randy Orton (see John Cena)
-The Undertaker

All of them are good, if not great wrestlers. Undertaker is arguable, but it's undeniable that he puts on one of the best performances of the night when he's in the ring. He's not technician, but he is a brawler, and he's damn good at that.

Batista is not truly over, and is floundering without the aid of a real storyline to direct his actions. JBL is over, but he's such a charismatic asshole that his wrestling ability (or lack thereof) can be overlooked.

Zen v.W.o.
07-26-2005, 11:40 PM
Well just how "over" was Lex Luger back then? He certainly wasn't the top star they wanted him to be, as Bret Hart owned him in the popularity ranks. Just rewatch the 1994 Royal Rumble to see what I mean. So I guess not every fan back then fed bigger men took them without letting the wwe know how they felt.

Pepsi Man
07-27-2005, 12:11 AM
Look at the wrestlers who are truly over today:
-Triple H
-Chris Jericho
-John Cena (much better than he is allowed to show)
-Christian
-Rey Mysterio
-Eddie Guerrero
-Kurt Angle
-Randy Orton (see John Cena)
-The Undertaker

All of them are good, if not great wrestlers. Undertaker is arguable, but it's undeniable that he puts on one of the best performances of the night when he's in the ring. He's not technician, but he is a brawler, and he's damn good at that.

Batista is not truly over, and is floundering without the aid of a real storyline to direct his actions. JBL is over, but he's such a charismatic asshole that his wrestling ability (or lack thereof) can be overlooked.
I'd say Batista's more over than Christian, who you listed; I don't think Rey's THAT over either. I'd say Cena's wrestling is pretty shitty, whether you claim he's "better than he's allowed to show" or not.

Remember that if he can't show it, it's not affecting his overness anyway. Modern day Undertaker isn't a great in-ring worker either, and I'm a super Undertaker mark.

Skippord
07-27-2005, 12:30 AM
Cena is way better than he is allowed to show though

Kane Knight
07-27-2005, 01:26 AM
I'd say Batista's more over than Christian, who you listed; I don't think Rey's THAT over either. I'd say Cena's wrestling is pretty shitty, whether you claim he's "better than he's allowed to show" or not.

Remember that if he can't show it, it's not affecting his overness anyway. Modern day Undertaker isn't a great in-ring worker either, and I'm a super Undertaker mark.
Judging from fan reactions, I'd say Christian is bigger than Batista.

Cena's been watered down in and out of ring (Though he was never great to begin with in ring) To say it doesn't affect him is to disregard anyone with an attention span. If people can remember5+ years ago when Taker was worth a fuck, and cheer for him now based on that memory, I'm sure they can tap a memory of Cena from pre-wardobe malfunction days, when he wasn't curbed.

Savio
07-27-2005, 01:35 AM
Cena and bishoff are good together.

Pepsi Man
07-27-2005, 08:48 AM
Judging from fan reactions, I'd say Christian is bigger than Batista.

Cena's been watered down in and out of ring (Though he was never great to begin with in ring) To say it doesn't affect him is to disregard anyone with an attention span. If people can remember5+ years ago when Taker was worth a fuck, and cheer for him now based on that memory, I'm sure they can tap a memory of Cena from pre-wardobe malfunction days, when he wasn't curbed.
That's just it. I've NEVER seen him look "good" in a WWE ring. Somehow I doubt you're suggesting he's this over due to his UPW days, but that's almost what it looks like you're saying.

And Undertaker (and guys like him) might've been good years ago, but they were good for years and years themselves. Cena's only been on live TV for a drop in the bucket by comparison.

LK
07-28-2005, 08:04 AM
Heidenreich - After some of the worst matches in recent memory, how is he getting pops, even chants?

Kane Knight
07-28-2005, 10:53 AM
Heidenreich - After some of the worst matches in recent memory, how is he getting pops, even chants?
His poetry's so bad it's entertaining. It's like a train wreck, without the guilt of the bodies being carried off to the morgue. He's like Snitsky meets Hulk Hogan.

Skippord
07-28-2005, 11:32 AM

Cause fans are his friends :shifty: