PDA

View Full Version : Big Bill v. Little Bill...

VonErich Lives
01-19-2004, 02:33 AM
Gotta start asking... who'se the better coach?

Parcells won 148 regular season games over 16 seasons or 9.25/yr
Belichick won 75 over regular season games over 9 seasons or 8.33/yr

Parcells made the playoffs 8 times of 16 seasons (.500)
Belichick made the playoffs 3 times out of 9 seasons (.333)

Parcells 11-7 in the playoffs with 2 superbowl wins, and 1 Superbowl Loss.
Belichick 6-1 (will be 7-1 or 6-2) with 1 (could be 2) superbowl wins and 0 losses.

So, if you go by season records? or playoff records?

Parcells had made the playoffs more, but also had more attempts, Plus keep in mind, Belichick was the Defensive Coordinator in NY during both superbowl wins.

He was Linebacker coach in 84 when the Giants went 1-1 in the playoffs.
Then was promoted to DC.

#1-norm-fan
01-19-2004, 05:07 AM
I think Parcells is a better coach hands down. However, this season Belechik showed me alot. Just watching a full Pats game this year, you can pinpoint a ton great coaching decisions (The intentional safety vs. Denver comes to mind as well and the first 4th down today.)

But Parcells is great in that he motivates his team to play at their absolute best and in turn cranks out a few more wins from a rather untalented team.

VonErich Lives
01-19-2004, 01:21 PM
I think Belichick does the same though, I think what hurts Belichick is what happened in Cleveland... Time will tell, but I think if he wins this one, he'll be a HOF coach.

Only time will tell, does he win more with the Pats? 3 superbowls?

Does he eventually get bored and move on to another team? or does he stick around 10+ years?

What hurts Parcells is after the Giants he had a "Win Now" attitude, where he didn't pay much attention to salary caps and such, and while almost winning or having a few good years, set his teams up for failure and cap problems for years.

See: Patriots Contracts, Jets draft/Contracts.

Jesus Shuttlesworth
01-19-2004, 08:33 PM
If I was a player, i'd rather have Belichick....I hate in your face "tough guy" coaches. I think Belichick is the better coach, but Parcells is a big time motivator and if you dont play well he has no problem embrassing you infront of everyone. I think the players really work hard to please him, I think players under Parcells are scared to do poorly because they know if they do there life will be a living hell.