PDA

View Full Version : Cena/Jericho Discussion

Mr. Nerfect
07-30-2005, 07:58 PM
John Cena vs. Chris Jericho has been one Hell of a feud. Both guys are great on the mic, great in the ring, heaps over, etc. Anyway, I was just thought I'd start a topic to discuss the feud, match and outcome of Cena vs. Jericho.

The one thing I can't help but think during the segments they're on together is "Damn, I would love to see Jericho cut loose right now.". Remember heading into the Royal Rumble 2002, Chris Jericho cut loose on The Rokc saying he was not a joke, and this was not a joke, etc. He was really emotional and it was played perfectly by The Rock, who I think (from memory) just shut up a little taken back by Jericho's promo.

How I would love to see John Cena mimic the Hightlight Reel one night, and have Chris Jericho interrupt pissed off. Cena says it looks like his guest tonight will be "Y2Cheap" Chris Jericho. Jericho does his little mocking laugh thingo, which leads to Jericho calling John Cena "John Ken-nah". Cena then calls Jericho cheap again which is when Jericho snaps and starts goin goff about how he's busted his ass in the business under the glass ceiling. Why? Because he wasn't created in the WWE and made his way into the WWE by working his ass off in ECW and WCW.

He asks Cena is he was cheap when he was overseas in Japan? He asks John if he was cheap when he was down in Mexico? He asks Cena if he was cheap wrestling just for a small section of fans in ECW? He asks Cena if he was cheap when these fans would get on their feet every night for Y2J, chant his name and buy his merchandise? He finally asks John Cena is he was cheap when he won the WWE Championship, fused it with the WCW Championship and created the title that Cena has damaged by turning it into a "Assclown Accessory".

Cena goes to tell Jericho something, but Y2J cuts him off with "Shut up you santimonious son of a bitch!!!!!!"

Chris Jericho then settles down a bit and tells Cena that the Chain Gang will get tired of Cena one day. And a new kid will be there calling Cena cheap, and then Cena will want to shut him up, and these fans will boo him for it. But Cena won't be fired by these fans when that happens. Oh no, for the first time in a long time, the fire calls from inside you. The determination, the energy, the NEED to shut that little kid up comes from inside you, and it makes you feel more powerful than you ever felt before. So call me the old lion being pushed aside by the young lion if you want, but the fact is John, for the first time in a long time, I feel like the Liontamer because...THE CHAMP...IS...JERICHO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I dunno, but I just think a promo explaining what is going on in Jericho's head would really make this feud great. Personally I hope Jericho goes over Cena at Summerslam. People will talk about how it will destroy the WWE if Cena loses the belt, but I think it would underscore Batista as World Heavyweight Champion, and help get him even more over. With Summerslam being in Washington, Batista will be star of the night, and if they book him as such, 'Tista may be on top for a much longer time to come.

Shadow
07-30-2005, 08:03 PM
John Cena vs. Chris Jericho has been one Hell of a feud. Both guys are great on the mic, great in the ring, heaps over, etc. Anyway, I was just thought I'd start a topic to discuss the feud, match and outcome of Cena vs. Jericho.

The one thing I can't help but think during the segments they're on together is "Damn, I would love to see Jericho cut loose right now.". Remember heading into the Royal Rumble 2002, Chris Jericho cut loose on The Rokc saying he was not a joke, and this was not a joke, etc. He was really emotional and it was played perfectly by The Rock, who I think (from memory) just shut up a little taken back by Jericho's promo.

How I would love to see John Cena mimic the Hightlight Reel one night, and have Chris Jericho interrupt pissed off. Cena says it looks like his guest tonight will be "Y2Cheap" Chris Jericho. Jericho does his little mocking laugh thingo, which leads to Jericho calling John Cena "John Ken-nah". Cena then calls Jericho cheap again which is when Jericho snaps and starts goin goff about how he's busted his ass in the business under the glass ceiling. Why? Because he wasn't created in the WWE and made his way into the WWE by working his ass off in ECW and WCW.

He asks Cena is he was cheap when he was overseas in Japan? He asks John if he was cheap when he was down in Mexico? He asks Cena if he was cheap wrestling just for a small section of fans in ECW? He asks Cena if he was cheap when these fans would get on their feet every night for Y2J, chant his name and buy his merchandise? He finally asks John Cena is he was cheap when he won the WWE Championship, fused it with the WCW Championship and created the title that Cena has damaged by turning it into a "Assclown Accessory".

Cena goes to tell Jericho something, but Y2J cuts him off with "Shut up you santimonious son of a bitch!!!!!!"

Chris Jericho then settles down a bit and tells Cena that the Chain Gang will get tired of Cena one day. And a new kid will be there calling Cena cheap, and then Cena will want to shut him up, and these fans will boo him for it. But Cena won't be fired by these fans when that happens. Oh no, for the first time in a long time, the fire calls from inside you. The determination, the energy, the NEED to shut that little kid up comes from inside you, and it makes you feel more powerful than you ever felt before. So call me the old lion being pushed aside by the young lion if you want, but the fact is John, for the first time in a long time, I feel like the Liontamer because...THE CHAMP...IS...JERICHO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I dunno, but I just think a promo explaining what is going on in Jericho's head would really make this feud great. Personally I hope Jericho goes over Cena at Summerslam. People will talk about how it will destroy the WWE if Cena loses the belt, but I think it would underscore Batista as World Heavyweight Champion, and help get him even more over. With Summerslam being in Washington, Batista will be star of the night, and if they book him as such, 'Tista may be on top for a much longer time to come.

Dude....are you inside my head?

BatistaBomb
07-30-2005, 08:03 PM
we need the old y2j back not this washed down pussy version and before anyone goes off i'm a jericho fan and i hate what the wwe is doing to him and if i was him i would'nt have resigned

Anybody Thrilla
07-30-2005, 08:07 PM
That would be a great Jericho promo, but it sounds like too much of a face promo for this particular feud. I don't think the WWE wants anyone siding with Jericho in this matter.

Shadow
07-30-2005, 08:08 PM
That would be a great Jericho promo, but it sounds like too much of a face promo for this particular feud. I don't think the WWE wants anyone siding with Jericho in this matter.

That's what I thought when he posted this too. Just was amazed at the depth he put into it.

The particular situation you wrote up would only work if Jericho was the face and Cena the heel. Since it's not...well it just won't work. WWE logic at it's finest but hey...them's the breaks.

PureHatred
07-30-2005, 08:17 PM
I'm of the mind that Cena should be a heel. Do you know how easy it would be for the fans to hate him if he went over-the -top with the rapper thing? Get him an entoruage, have him carry a pimp-cup, start treating people like he was Latrell Sprewell?(refuse to show up for events, ask for pay raises to 'feed his family.')

God I would love that.

PS I hate that y2cheap crap..that was the best insult they could come up with? Y2Gay? Y2Failure? Y2Chubby? Anyone?

Mr. Nerfect
07-30-2005, 09:03 PM
Oh yeah, I agree 100% it's more of a face promo, but I think they could do something like that, THEN restore some heel heat to Jericho. Maybe have Cena offer Jericho's his hand, which Jericho accepts, then he attacks Cena from behind. Or you can have Cena just calmly tell Jericho he respects him, and he's scared about facing him at Summerslam, but he is WWE Champion. He is real, and he's not going to lose to Jericho because just because Y2J's feeling lucky. He can then point to the WWE Title and say "This means I'm too good for that.".

Jericho has made an excellent top heel in Triple H's absence, but am I the only one who feels like Jericho is only role-playing a top heel? He never actually turned apart from when he attacked Cena from behind, but that was just so he could get a shot at the WWE Title, and the next time we saw Jericho and Cena together, there was tension, but it was more of a "I understand why you did what you did, but I beat you so now you're done." tension. Jericho's worked as a heel since, he's helped heels win matches, but I still feel like he's likely to just snap out of his current persona as soon as Triple H comes back, or as soon as he loses to Cena.

Maybe if Jericho airs everything out, THEN gets us to hate him, he will seem more fitted to the role.

Besides, at Summerslam, I have a feeling Jericho may get cheered anyway. I'm sur ethere will be Cena fans in attendence, but this is Batista capital, and there may be a lot of people who are of the "Batista>>>>>Cena" mindset, so he might get a bit of heat. Then there's the rumours he may be leaving. He's set them straight, but that might just be to protect the outcome of the match, and to stop any of those "this is his last match" pops. Some of the fans may have already had the illusion shattered, and may still cheer Jericho, though.

I'm not sure if that came out right, but basically I think there is more chance of a pro-Jericho crowd here than there was at Vengeance, with multiple justifications for such behaviour, rather than the usual "let's boo the face and cheer the heel" mentality.

I don't know why that means Jericho should almost turn face, but I think there should be more depth added to the feud before Summerslam, just so the people are lost in the match and storytelling these two will put out. Besides, commentary could save this match from the crowd reaction. Jonathan Coachman is smart enough to mention how Jericho's done some brainwashing in recent weeks, and he can make Jericho really seem like a vicious heel on commentary. And besides, getting the crowd back on his side will be a real test of character for Cena, and a real test for Jericho as a heel. It could produce some A+ work from the two.

Loose Cannon
07-30-2005, 09:15 PM
Y2J aint winning the match. He's just a filler until eathier HHH, HBK or Angle go for Cena. Jericho has been jobbed and stuck in the mid-cards for so long that he just doesn't look like a main eventer anymore. Who has he beaten anyway to challenge Cena?

Cena is the WWE's main man right now, not Batista. That's why Batista is on Smackdown. And you're starting to see that Batista isn't going to be champ for that much longer I don't think. WWE needs to have Cena keep that Title for a looong time and position him as the guy that's going to be bringing in the big bucks for the cmpany down the line. Same with Orton.

The One
07-30-2005, 09:24 PM
As much as I know Jericho has about the same amount of chance of winning the WWE Title at SummerSlam as Shadow comming on the boards and posting completly on the level, I still somehow deep down have this prayer that Jericho will win the title. I can't think of a single WWE performer who has been more loyal and constant of a worker then Jericho. For my money I can not think of a single time Jericho has been out of action for any reason (other then like two weeks for his wedding) since his arrival in 1999. If they could just use Jericho correctly, he could have been the next big thing. I think it is a god damn shame that Jericho still is blamed for Mania X-8's low buy rates, hell they only promoted Rock and Hogan, why isn't Hogan blamed??? On top of that Jericho was the minnor character in the main event match...hell anyone could see it was Triple H versus Stephanie McMahon, and why is that you ask? Because they had the dumb ass idea to promote Hunter as a face, and unless they paired Jericho with the most annoying person at their disposal, he would get a bigger pop then Hunter.

Jericho is solid. On the mic, in the ring, and let's face it, his fan basis is loyal. Not only that but he can shovel merch. Anyone remember back in like '00 and '01 when every last person on the planet had some type of Y2J clothing, or whatever. I think he is past his prime, but the sad thing is that Jericho past his prime is better then like 99% of the wrestlers on this planet IN their prime. Jericho has Fozzy, appearences on VH1, and if promoted correctly could be the next guy to corss draw not only wrestling fans, but even the most casual fans as well.

Why am I on this rant? It doesn't matter. Jericho will lose, continue to be burried, and live out the rest of his carrer taking odd shots at the IC Title and once in a blue moon the WWE Title. The idea for the promo would be awesome, but it will never even have the chance to happen. Fuck this I am going to go watch some old Best of Jericho tapes I have sitting around.

Shadow
07-30-2005, 09:39 PM
As much as I know Jericho has about the same amount of chance of winning the WWE Title at SummerSlam as Shadow comming on the boards and posting completly on the level, I still somehow deep down have this prayer that Jericho will win the title. I can't think of a single WWE performer who has been more loyal and constant of a worker then Jericho. For my money I can not think of a single time Jericho has been out of action for any reason (other then like two weeks for his wedding) since his arrival in 1999. If they could just use Jericho correctly, he could have been the next big thing. I think it is a god damn shame that Jericho still is blamed for Mania X-8's low buy rates, hell they only promoted Rock and Hogan, why isn't Hogan blamed??? On top of that Jericho was the minnor character in the main event match...hell anyone could see it was Triple H versus Stephanie McMahon, and why is that you ask? Because they had the dumb ass idea to promote Hunter as a face, and unless they paired Jericho with the most annoying person at their disposal, he would get a bigger pop then Hunter.

Jericho is solid. On the mic, in the ring, and let's face it, his fan basis is loyal. Not only that but he can shovel merch. Anyone remember back in like '00 and '01 when every last person on the planet had some type of Y2J clothing, or whatever. I think he is past his prime, but the sad thing is that Jericho past his prime is better then like 99% of the wrestlers on this planet IN their prime. Jericho has Fozzy, appearences on VH1, and if promoted correctly could be the next guy to corss draw not only wrestling fans, but even the most casual fans as well.

Why am I on this rant? It doesn't matter. Jericho will lose, continue to be burried, and live out the rest of his carrer taking odd shots at the IC Title and once in a blue moon the WWE Title. The idea for the promo would be awesome, but it will never even have the chance to happen. Fuck this I am going to go watch some old Best of Jericho tapes I have sitting around.

And what makes you think that I'm not compleatly on the level?

Oh...right....

Anyhoo, you're totally right. Jericho=MEGA ratings. Note the capitilzation on the MEGA. He draws not only the hardkore fan in, but the casual. Because he has this intense look about him that never fails. Ever. He just doesn't stop because of a few injuries. Hell, remember when he was getting beaten like a little bitch by Tomoko and Xtrian? He'd come out with taped ribs, taped back, and all that? Just putting on a great show and never pussying out. And even if he's seriously injured, he still puts on an entertaining show.

Did I mention I'm a Jericho mark? I'll be cheering on both Jericho and Cena throughtout their match.

Johnny Vegas
07-30-2005, 09:49 PM
OMG, i can't believe that the WWE blamed Jericho for the low buyrates of WMXVIII...I agree with The One..the WWE portrayed Jericho as a "Bret Hart late '95/early '96" champ..the focus was on something else...:nono:...I swear Jericho, when it came to pops, was JUST under Rock/SCSA...it's a damn shame what they did to him...AND RVD..:mad:

Mr. Nerfect
07-30-2005, 11:29 PM
Y2J aint winning the match. He's just a filler until eathier HHH, HBK or Angle go for Cena. Jericho has been jobbed and stuck in the mid-cards for so long that he just doesn't look like a main eventer anymore. Who has he beaten anyway to challenge Cena?

Cena is the WWE's main man right now, not Batista. That's why Batista is on Smackdown. And you're starting to see that Batista isn't going to be champ for that much longer I don't think. WWE needs to have Cena keep that Title for a looong time and position him as the guy that's going to be bringing in the big bucks for the cmpany down the line. Same with Orton.

You're right, there's no way Jericho's winning at Summerslam. I can't argue you there. I do disagree about your point about Cena, though. Sure, Cena is getting the bigger pops, selling the most merchandise, putting on the most consistent matches, but I still consider 2005 to be The Demon's.

Up until WrestleMania, Batista was the hottest act in the WWE. He got mega-pops, and he actually caused a spike in the ratings at one point. He then beat Triple H, all was good in the world, and what did they do? They dragged out the same feud for two more PPVs. I'm not trying to blame Triple H for the destruction of Batista, he helped make 'Tista, but if they had gone through with the Hell in a Cell at Backlash instead of Vengeance, Batista would probably still be WWE's top guy right now. In my opinion, anyway.

At Summerslam, I remain confident we will see a revival of sorts for The Animal. Whether he goes over JBL or a whole bunch of guys, the Washington fans will hopefully be rabid for Batista. I personally hope he kills JBL, and the WWE sees how Batista was meant to be used. Not as an "Iron Man" wrestler, but as an asskicking monster with brains. I still don't think anything is set in stone for Batista.

John Cena is the WWE's top babyface, and he'll probably be around longer than Batista, but I think he is also less in need of protection than him. Cena is a great worker, both in the ring and on the mic, and he doesn't need emphasis to be recognised as the top star. John Cena made John Cena, the fans made Batista. Don't get me wrong, Batista is a good worker, and he's good on the mic (it was his mic skills that got him over in the first place), but he's less reliable and is only on loan by his heat from the fans. The way I see things, Batista needs that World Title as a battery to his main event run, while John Cena is quite frankly fuelling himself.

The WWE has two dynamic babyfaces in John Cena and Dave Batista, and if only one loses their belt, I think it is a better choice to have that be Cena, simply because he won't lose a fanbase because of it.

The One
07-31-2005, 06:05 AM
Cena has more charisma. Vince is looking to send their flagship man on radio shows, make random appearances, and carry around the WWE Title for everyone to see. Batista couldn't do that. Let's face it, if you were Vince, who would you send to something like Good Morning America? Not saying that either will appear on it, I am just saying, for non-fans, they only want to see the top dog, and Cena has enough charisma, that so long as he stays the top dog, he might just pull in a few more hillbillies who for whatever reason arn't watching wrestling already.

Londoner
07-31-2005, 07:17 AM
OMG, i can't believe that the WWE blamed Jericho for the low buyrates of WMXVIII...I agree with The One..the WWE portrayed Jericho as a "Bret Hart late '95/early '96" champ..the focus was on something else...:nono:...I swear Jericho, when it came to pops, was JUST under Rock/SCSA...it's a damn shame what they did to him...AND RVD..:mad:

Well...what did you expect them to do?Think logically? :rofl:

The One
07-31-2005, 08:12 PM
LOL! I just watched WrestleMania X-8 on DVD...Triple H's pop is complete shit, Jericho's music hits and everyone is cheering, Stephanie comes out and everyone basically goes silent.

Great booking there boys.

Batsu
07-31-2005, 09:04 PM
LOL! I just watched WrestleMania X-8 on DVD...Triple H's pop is complete shit, Jericho's music hits and everyone is cheering, Stephanie comes out and everyone basically goes silent.

Great booking there boys.

WWE didn't edit that? [Gasp!]

Aussie Skier
07-31-2005, 10:25 PM
Why am I on this rant? It doesn't matter. Jericho will lose, continue to be burried, and live out the rest of his carrer taking odd shots at the IC Title and once in a blue moon the WWE Title. The idea for the promo would be awesome, but it will never even have the chance to happen. Fuck this I am going to go watch some old Best of Jericho tapes I have sitting around

RVD has his own DVD
Chris Benoit has his own DVD
Eddie Guerrero has his own DVD.

But Jericho doesn't. What this says to me is that Jericho will get the world title at least once more...then they will release his DVD

The One
07-31-2005, 10:29 PM
I like that logic...it gives me hope for the future.

Volchok
07-31-2005, 10:30 PM
Jericho does have a DVD, it came out in like 2000.. I think...

The One
07-31-2005, 10:33 PM
Your talking about "Break Down The Walls"...just to get technical, it was only released on VHS, which everyone has all but forgot about...so I think a Jericho DVD is in order.

Volchok
07-31-2005, 10:34 PM
Oh I didn't know if it was VHS or DVD..But yeah Jericho deff. needs a DVD out.

Mr. Nerfect
08-01-2005, 07:40 PM
How I would kill to see Jericho win the WWE Title at Summerslam, come out on RAW on the Highlight Reel, and announce that he wll now have a box-set featuring the greatest matches and moments of the multi-media superstar, and the greatest wrestler ever. "Real American" hits, and out comes Hulk Hogan. Hogan says he's the only multi-media superstar in the WWE, and he's the best ever, not Jericho, and that if Jericho wants to prove himself he will have to defend the title against him next week on RAW.

Jericho then cuts a promo on Hogan, putting on a Hogan voice, but ending every sentence with "senior" in place of "brother". Jericho says he would gladly defend the WWE Championship against Hogan next week on RAW.

In the match, Hogan goes for the Leg Drop, Jericho moves, locks in the Walls of Jericho on the fallen Hogan, the Hulkster taps, Jericho has beaten Hulk Hogan.

Have Cena pre-occupied with Shawn Michaels, so Jericho has a mini-feud with Eugene, which Y2J wins, and he then defends the WWE Title against someone like Kane or The Big Show at Unforgiven, where he retains cleanly.

I always have my dreams.

Ninti the Mad
08-01-2005, 08:24 PM
I wish Jericho will win at SS and keep the belt for awhile while still feuding with Cena deploying all kinds of heel tactics to barely keep the belt.