PDA

View Full Version : Debate: Tupac Shakur should be remembered as a black prophet or hardcore gangsta?

The Answer
08-01-2005, 10:23 AM
In my opinion Tupac Shakur should be remembered as a person fighting the struggle. I started listening to rap thanks to him and even though im not black I understood his message. I think he should be right up their with Martin Luther King but a little below him because of his criminal activities.

Hired Hitman
08-01-2005, 10:50 AM
"I think he should be right up their with Martin Luther King but a little below him because of his criminal activities." :lol:

I love the guy, I don't think of him as a black prophet, but as a man who could bring the emotion out of a song... I haven't heard every song he sang, but those that I have heard, I like.

If I had to choose, black prophet, Because the word "Gangsta" gets through around a lot these days.

Kane Knight
08-01-2005, 10:50 AM
The interesting thing is that Ghandi was actually involved in some very QUESTIONABLE things before becoming established as the man we know today. And we're talking war crimes, Gitmo shit, not some gangbanging.

One's flaws do not make one less great if they've accomplished something important and strong. On the other hand, I'm not sure a pop culture iconisation of a message is worthy of that. However, if you truly think he's great, the fact that he had a criminal record surely shouldn't make a difference.

Bad Company
08-01-2005, 08:12 PM
He's no MLK.

RP
08-01-2005, 08:16 PM
I think Eminem should be up there with MLK , but just a little below because of his whiteness.

Kane Knight
08-01-2005, 09:01 PM
He's no MLK.
To be fair, MLK's no Tupac...

...Thankfully.,

el fregadero
08-02-2005, 12:47 AM
Tupac was a feminist while MLK was a Reverend.

Sickboy
08-02-2005, 11:50 AM
I think Tupac should be remembered as a black rapper.

The Gooch
08-02-2005, 12:42 PM
When it comes to spreading a message via rap, I wouldn't even consider Tupac in Chuck D's league let alone calling him a prophet. My opinion anyways. I just heard Public Enemy will be coming out with a new album shortly. I hope it's good and not just a money making machine because Flav was on "The Surreal Life".

Anybody Thrilla
08-02-2005, 01:02 PM
The thing that people seem to forget about Tupac is that he really couldn't even be considered a 'hardcore gangsta' type until his rap career really started popping off. He used to be a dancer and an actor and shit. He let the gangsta rap genre encompass him more than it ever should have, and for that decision, he lost his life. A black prophet he was not. The fact that you even have to say the word 'black' there is pretty fucking ridiculous. A hardcore gangsta he was not either. He was just an incredibly talented rapper who was out to make as much money as possible.

El Capitano Gatisto
08-02-2005, 01:33 PM
Pretty good actor.

El Vaquero de Infierno
08-02-2005, 01:49 PM
All MLK did was take credit for other people's actions, having a habit of appearing at some kind of demonstration just before the cameras did.

Kane Knight
08-02-2005, 03:08 PM
All MLK did was take credit for other people's actions, having a habit of appearing at some kind of demonstration just before the cameras did.

Wait...Was that MLK or Al Sharpton?

Kris P Lettus
08-02-2005, 04:55 PM
When it comes to spreading a message via rap, I wouldn't even consider Tupac in Chuck D's league let alone calling him a prophet. My opinion anyways. I just heard Public Enemy will be coming out with a new album shortly. I hope it's good and not just a money making machine because Flav was on "The Surreal Life".

Word..

The fact that you even have to say the word 'black' there is pretty fucking ridiculous.

Agreed.. He was a musician/poet who used his craft to inspired many people.. Same as Lenon, Cobain, Morrison, etc etc etc.. Race has nothing to do with it..

Lotus
08-07-2005, 01:12 AM
The following is an opinion I heard on the radio (summary of it, because this was 2 years ago, and there's no way in hell I can remember it word for word):

Tupac let the gangster rap scene engulf him to show what all that meaningless beef can actually lead up to: death. He was a martyr. He knew that by embracing the THUG LIFE image (which, strangely enough means The Hate You Give Little Infants Fucks Everyone), that he would die for it. He wanted to send a message to everyone in the rap game and on the streets that all this shit talking isn't worth it, because it could cost you your life.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

That was the basic gist of his thoughts. I don't know if I would go that far, but I definitely think that he was trying to send a good message through his music. You just need to hear "Keep Ya Head Up", "Dear Mama", "Baby Don't Cry", and "Changes" (among others) to know that.

The Naitch
08-07-2005, 02:18 AM
What's Humpty Hump up to these days?

Kane Knight
08-07-2005, 09:33 AM
Word..

Agreed.. He was a musician/poet who used his craft to inspired many people.. Same as Lenon, Cobain, Morrison, etc etc etc.. Race has nothing to do with it..

If you include Cobain, you might as well include Mike Shendoah and that other Linkin Park bitch.

Kane Knight
08-07-2005, 09:34 AM
Let's not forget the "poetry" of Limp Bizkit.

Just John
08-07-2005, 01:20 PM
Dont forget to check out his 'melodies' also

Kane Knight
08-07-2005, 03:36 PM
Crap. This brings up a pretty big question: Will Marky Mark be remembered as a white prophet or just a hardcore underwear model?

samichna
08-07-2005, 04:09 PM
lol ridiculous thread

KleptoKlown
08-17-2005, 10:21 PM
Remembered as the guy who became a legend after he died, but would have burned out and faded away if he lived.

Nervous Ferret
08-17-2005, 10:42 PM
LOL when I saw this as the last posted on the main page, I was like I bet this is a "The Answer" thread, then I saw the mile long sig.

Kane Knight
08-17-2005, 11:06 PM
Remembered as the guy who became a legend after he died, but would have burned out and faded away if he lived.

Rappers never outlive their music. When they get too old, their producer calls a hit. ;)

The Answer
08-18-2005, 12:10 AM
LOL when I saw this as the last posted on the main page, I was like I bet this is a "The Answer" thread, then I saw the mile long sig.

Come on your not digging the sig? That Legend Killer list is greatness though without the Hired Hitman it wouldn't be possible.

Joey Slugs
08-18-2005, 01:25 AM
how about as a dead rapper/actor

Kane Knight
08-21-2005, 11:24 PM
how about as a dead rapper/actor

Tupac's not dead though. He'll come back in 7 years' time...

Oops.

(Not mocking Tupac, just mocking the dumb fucks who thought Tupac was brilliant enough to fake his death, and stupid enough to return after, though it would mean SERIOUS crimes)