PDA

View Full Version : Vince Russo reveals the truth about the infamous Bash At The Beach shoot.

Watson
08-01-2005, 04:13 PM
Ok you guys are gonna love this. I was browsing NoDQ Forums and it seems that Vince Russo has started up a new fed called "Ring Of Glory". I checked out the website (http://www.ringofglory.com) and it look pretty interesting. It's a religious fed and he's using some of TNA's talent. But anyway I went to the News section and found this headline: "July 31, 2005 Vince Russo makes a HUGE announcement to the world of "Sports Entertainment" by telling his side of the story concerning "WCW Bash At The Beach" 2000 and goes into full detail on what was supposed to happen. (http://www.ringofglory.com/bash.htm)"

I saw that and I was like :eek:. So I read it and I must say I was a bit surprised by what I read. Pretty shocking. I don't want to give anything away. I'll just let you guys read it without me spoiling the truth about the incident. It was too long to post it here so here's the link: http://www.ringofglory.com/bash.htm

Enjoy.

Dave Youell
08-01-2005, 04:31 PM
Holy fuck, if all that is true! Woah!

It was all a fucking work!

Watson
08-01-2005, 04:32 PM
That's what I said.

The Mackem
08-01-2005, 04:34 PM
I thought it was generally considered to be a work?

Sepholio
08-01-2005, 04:48 PM
Nice. Russo can be the man at times.

Shadow
08-01-2005, 04:52 PM
Is that the event that afterwards, they wouldn't talk about what happened?

SuperSlim
08-01-2005, 05:06 PM
interesting

Linkbowler
08-01-2005, 05:07 PM
Good read...anyone got the footage for reference?

Dave Youell
08-01-2005, 05:17 PM
I thought it was generally considered to be a work?
I thought it was a worked shoot that went wrong and became an actual shoot.

But it was all a work! Great!

Corkscrewed
08-01-2005, 05:23 PM
man, pretty crazy stuff. It's kinda funny when he lathers on the religious stuff at times, but it's a very cool read.

The One
08-01-2005, 05:27 PM
My understanding was that the laying down was all scripted, but the Russo shoot promo was not, and that was what Hogan got upset about...turns out I was wrong. This really doesn't change anything, nor does it make the event any more or less meaningful then it was a week ago...actually it makes it slightly less meaningful as I thought Hogan got faced...oh well.

Good read...anyone got the footage for reference?

It isn't the footage, but I have the audio clip of the shoot...

http://s51.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=02QIDY5EOUH281HRHLOB6Q6UFT

And if you are interested I have the video of the Booker/Jarrett match...

Pegasus Crawford
08-01-2005, 05:59 PM
For a visual reference, here's the Hogan/Jarrett match:

http://s28.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=0AMZJ7OX9CNXF3OKD6UK380C1F

Xero
08-01-2005, 06:25 PM
WOW, I've never actually heard or seen it.

I don't know what else to say other than I can see why people thought it was a shoot. He even basically gave away the results of the Jarrett/Booker match.

PureHatred
08-01-2005, 06:26 PM
I think its a bad idea and basically unnecessary to "work" the talent.

vampiro03
08-01-2005, 07:04 PM
im uploading the russo rant right now

vampiro03
08-01-2005, 07:15 PM
http://s40.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=3S8EB7VU0Q7KX035GBIJ8FX4GP

the vid of the russo shoot about 10 megs

Linkbowler
08-01-2005, 08:49 PM
Thanks for the vids, makes the article a little better to see what happened along with the analysis.

The One
08-01-2005, 09:00 PM
http://s40.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=3S8EB7VU0Q7KX035GBIJ8FX4GP

the vid of the russo shoot about 10 megs

The link isn't working for me... :( Anyone else have this problem?

The Answer
08-01-2005, 09:28 PM
"In closing, I would just like to add something that I said many times before the incident—and many times after--growing up I was a huge fan of Hulk Hogan, the fact is that wrestling would have never—NEVER—reached the heights it did without him. That translates into this—without Hulk Hogan Vince Russo would have never achieved what he did in the wrestling business because in my opinion the wrestling business would have probably not even existed. Hulk Hogan paved the way for me—and many, many others. I can’t thank him enough for that. I’ve said on many occasions that I would work together with Hulk Hogan in a heartbeat—and I mean that. With the lawsuit—I totally understand where he was coming from—I was never shocked by it because I know why it happened—but—I wish that we could both put it behind us. I wish that one day I would be able to thank him for making my career in wrestling possible—but—that is up to him".

Some of you still don't realize this....

The One
08-01-2005, 09:31 PM
"In closing, I would just like to add something that I said many times before the incident—and many times after--growing up I was a huge fan of Hulk Hogan, the fact is that wrestling would have never—NEVER—reached the heights it did without Vince McMahon shoving him and the Pro-America bullshit and almost undefeated streak coupled with years of being World Champion and the chance to pin almost every single big name star in pro wrestling at the time.

Fixed. :)

Loose Cannon
08-01-2005, 09:34 PM
I said it was a work like 10 times on here.

TerranRich
08-01-2005, 11:45 PM
The link isn't working for me... :( Anyone else have this problem?

Me, too. It says the service is unavailable.

Fox
08-02-2005, 12:52 AM
I think its a bad idea and basically unnecessary to "work" the talent.

But it "worked" didn't it?

All puns aside - it was neccesary for the angle to be played off, considering how rapidly news seems to spread from the backstage to the internet to our little hungry eyeballs.

I saw that shoot live on PPV and I would've pissed my pants had I not had a total hardon for Russo at that point. It was an incredible angle to pull off on live PPV, and besides, it led to the world title victory of one of my favorite wrestlers.

But the next day I couldn't find anything concerning whether it was a work or shoot on the internet. Sure, people were talking, but nobody seemed to be questioning whether this was reality or all part of the show - it was a shoot, and that's all there was to it. And it was cool. I believed up until this very day that it was a shoot - no matter what anybody said. But here's the proof. Russo and Hogan pulled one over on me and a lot of other people.

den1982
08-02-2005, 02:25 AM
wow

Chavo Classic
08-02-2005, 10:02 AM
Ring of Glory. Lol.

He can have Samoa John, MC Punk and Ories in the main event!

TerranRich
08-02-2005, 12:07 PM
Was I the only one who didn't see anythng WCW did as a shoot? I basically knew the entire time that Russo was pulling his work-shoot bullshit and trying to be edgy with his stuff. For the most part, I never watched WCW between early 2000 and early 2001, simply because it was on a horrible downward spiral. The next WCW show I watched after the end of 1999 was its last show on 2001.

But I did catch things here and there that caught my attention, like the Russo-Hogan shoot and the New Blood/Millionaire Club angle. And I mean, come on, I've been watching wrestling long enough (15+ years) to know what's a work and what's for real.

Fox
08-02-2005, 02:50 PM
I basically knew the entire time that Russo was pulling his work-shoot bullshit and trying to be edgy with his stuff. For the most part, I never watched WCW between early 2000 and early 2001, simply because it was on a horrible downward spiral.

But I did catch things here and there that caught my attention, like the Russo-Hogan shoot and the New Blood/Millionaire Club angle.

So you didn't watch between 2000 and 2001, but for some reason you ordered a WCW PPV with no promising matches on it?

The One
08-02-2005, 03:01 PM
I've been watching wrestling long enough (15+ years) to know what's a work and what's for real.

....You know I have been watching for the better part of two decades now, I am certainly one of the more knowledgeable fans out there, and when I saw it live...I certainly thought it was real the first time I saw it. So don't go shoveling down this crap where the almighty TerranRich knows whats real and fake. It worked well, it seemed legit, and there certainly was no way of knowing it was a work...Now then, I believe you didn't buy the PPV, and from what you read in the fallowing months as the idea that it was a work became more and more lighted...but fuck man, you admit you didn't order the PPV, and all you had to go off of was the writings about it online, so don't sell yourself as smart enough to watch it when it happened and figure out it was a work.

Watson
08-02-2005, 03:28 PM
....You know I have been watching for the better part of two decades now, I am certainly one of the more knowledgeable fans out there, and when I saw it live...I certainly thought it was real the first time I saw it. So don't go shoveling down this crap where the almighty TerranRich knows whats real and fake. It worked well, it seemed legit, and there certainly was no way of knowing it was a work...Now then, I believe you didn't buy the PPV, and from what you read in the fallowing months as the idea that it was a work became more and more lighted...but fuck man, you admit you didn't order the PPV, and all you had to go off of was the writings about it online, so don't sell yourself as smart enough to watch it when it happened and figure out it was a work.Well said.

TerranRich
08-02-2005, 11:24 PM
....You know I have been watching for the better part of two decades now, I am certainly one of the more knowledgeable fans out there, and when I saw it live...I certainly thought it was real the first time I saw it. So don't go shoveling down this crap where the almighty TerranRich knows whats real and fake. It worked well, it seemed legit, and there certainly was no way of knowing it was a work...Now then, I believe you didn't buy the PPV, and from what you read in the fallowing months as the idea that it was a work became more and more lighted...but fuck man, you admit you didn't order the PPV, and all you had to go off of was the writings about it online, so don't sell yourself as smart enough to watch it when it happened and figure out it was a work.

Hey, moron, ever heard of watching a PPV at someone else's place? Yeah, I was over a friend's house. You see, The One, he was watching the Bash at the Beach 2000 PPV and guess what? I joined in! I watched it, and I didn't even have to pay for it! Amazing!

Not having watched WCW regularly at all at the time, I didn't buy into the whole shoot crap. So don't go making assumptions and end up sounding like a complete idiot. Thank you.

James Steele
08-02-2005, 11:40 PM
TR, you still got owned.

James Steele
08-02-2005, 11:41 PM
BITCH!

owenbrown
08-03-2005, 09:59 AM
While we are on the subject of BATB 2000 ... does anyone have Jarrett vs. Booker T for the WCW title?

and another question did Tony Schivaone, Scott Hudson, or Mark Madden know any of this was a work?

PorkSoda
08-03-2005, 10:25 AM
Never knew about any of that. It was pretty cool though to hear that Russo promo on Hogan. So that was a work?

I liked how that guy, who was it Madden, when Jarrett laid down hes like "Is it Halloween Havoc all over again?" :)

Dave Youell
08-03-2005, 10:26 AM
Hey, moron, ever heard of watching a PPV at someone else's place? Yeah, I was over a friend's house. You see, The One, he was watching the Bash at the Beach 2000 PPV and guess what? I joined in! I watched it, and I didn't even have to pay for it! Amazing!

Not having watched WCW regularly at all at the time, I didn't buy into the whole shoot crap. So don't go making assumptions and end up sounding like a complete idiot. Thank you.

Good move! Attacking one of the most repected poster on here and looking like a whiney penis, good job mang! :y:

You never said in your first post that you watched the thing live, so don't jump down other people's throat when you don't disclose all the fact, and you could still be bullshitting anyway to cover your tracks.

Also if you didn't watch it all the time that in theory would make you think this was more of a shoot as you wouldn't of been aware of all of Russo's shoot style angles that he had been doing around that time.

I've never met anyone (unless you were a wcw booker at the time) who could say for sure that it was a work, so in conclusion, stop bitching and just enjoy being owned ok?

owenbrown
08-03-2005, 10:48 AM
I liked how that guy, who was it Madden, when Jarrett laid down hes like "Is it Halloween Havoc all over again?" :)

no it was Scott Hudson

PureHatred
08-03-2005, 11:16 AM
"In closing, I would just like to add something that I said many times before the incident—and many times after--growing up I was a huge fan of Hulk Hogan, the fact is that wrestling would have never—NEVER—reached the heights it did without him. That translates into this—without Hulk Hogan Vince Russo would have never achieved what he did in the wrestling business because in my opinion the wrestling business would have probably not even existed. Hulk Hogan paved the way for me—and many, many others. I can’t thank him enough for that.

:roll: You know what? Maybe we do realize this and it still pisses people off when he does shit like that interview that was on the boards last week where he was telling the fans that he's a bigger movie star than The Rock and that Austin was never the draw that he was? Maybe Hogan being a huge draw during the 80s doesn't give him a pass for all the terrible things he's done during or since that time period?

Where were you during that discussion?

PureHatred
08-03-2005, 11:37 AM
As to the shoot, I basically assumed what The One did: that it was a work and that everything was planned out but Russo's comments and that's why he was pissed. Which is basically what happened: Hogan thought he had been worked because neither Vince nor Brad Siegal called him back. I still dont think its a good idea to work the talent ( or, like Jarrett, they could've told them the next day) because it ingenders mistrust and with WCW there was so much paranoia that the workers didn't even
believe that the company was closing until the night it actually, y'know, closed.

To conclude: in a sea of bad idead, Vince pulled one off.

The Fugitive
08-03-2005, 11:39 AM

That part lost me as I didn't watch that much of WCW, what exactly did Hudson mean by 'Is it Halloween Havoc all over again?'

Chavo Classic
08-03-2005, 11:46 AM
I never watched WCW, but those two clips are very interesting. What an amazing angle. It must have taken a lot of creative genius and balls to pull it off and it worked!

Credit to Russo and Hogan if this was all a worked shoot, because for every second I was watching I could sympathise with both parties. Hogan looked devastated and genuinely angry when Jarrett lay down and Russo really knows how to cut a scathing promo. Gold! :D

TerranRich
08-04-2005, 12:10 AM
Good move! Attacking one of the most repected poster on here and looking like a whiney penis, good job mang! :y:

You never said in your first post that you watched the thing live, so don't jump down other people's throat when you don't disclose all the fact, and you could still be bullshitting anyway to cover your tracks.

Also if you didn't watch it all the time that in theory would make you think this was more of a shoot as you wouldn't of been aware of all of Russo's shoot style angles that he had been doing around that time.

I've never met anyone (unless you were a wcw booker at the time) who could say for sure that it was a work, so in conclusion, stop bitching and just enjoy being owned ok?

:roll:

TerranRich
08-04-2005, 12:14 AM
I guess I'm the only uber-skeptical person in the entire world to not think it was a shoot. I'm alone... oh, so alone... :p

Fox
08-04-2005, 12:55 AM
Full of shit. Oh, so full of shit.

owenbrown
08-04-2005, 11:57 AM
That part lost me as I didn't watch that much of WCW, what exactly did Hudson mean by 'Is it Halloween Havoc all over again?'

Sting was WCW champion in October of '99 when Hogan was the challenger at Halloween Havoc. Hogan laid down for Sting and was pinned and left. Sting (who was a heel at the time) apparently issued an open challenge to anyone in the back and Goldberg came out (who won the U.S. title from Sid Vicious earlier in the show.) It turned out to be a non-title match with Goldberg won but he thought he was WCW world champ. Then Sting attacked the ref after the match and was later stripped of the title and that led to the 32-man tournament for the vacant WCW title at Mayhem which Bret Hart won by beating Chris Benoit.

TerranRich
08-04-2005, 12:29 PM
Full of shit. Oh, so full of shit.

I'm sorry if I've made a lot of you feel gullible and stupid by what I've said. I'm not trying to impress anybody here by saying I didn't believe it was a shoot. I'm just telling the truth. Sorry if you feel that way. :)

Chavo Classic
08-04-2005, 12:34 PM
Stop... just stop. You've lost this one, and people are so wound up on this site that they're far too stubborn to compromise.

TerranRich
08-04-2005, 01:07 PM
What, exactly, did I lose? I state a simple fact, people attack me, and I lost something?

Jaton
08-04-2005, 01:11 PM
Wow, get off of his nuts..he was making the point that he had the idea that it was a work, he wasn't trying to come off as uber badass.