PDA

View Full Version : Devendra Banhart

El Capitano Gatisto
08-03-2005, 06:35 PM
Haven't really seen anyone mention him here.

I have his first 3 albums, probably going to buy the new one when it comes out. I greatly enjoy his whimsical and surreal brand of folk music, and the lo-fi nature of the songs.

I also managed to catch him in concert on Saturday night in Belfast (with the band he is part of, Vetiver, who also have an excellent album out already and another coming out soon and are worth checking out). It was brilliant. Banhart engaged the crowd, and the whole band beefed up the songs a whole lot.

He did a couple of them with an acoustic guitar on his own (Little Yellow Spider to name one), but mostly he jazzed it up with the band and turned the songs into summery, 70s style pop rock tunes without losing anything. He played a lot of new material, which sounded great, and did a lovely cover of Lauryn Hill's X-Factor.

Mid-gig, he asked any budding singer/songwriters if they wanted to knock out a song on his guitar while the band took a break. One guy did get up, clearly pissed, but he played a little song of his own that was actually pretty good. It had a catchy chorus, and once the band picked up on it, they all joined in, with Devendra Banhart doing backing vocals on the chorus and dancing around the stage, with the rest of the band joining in with their instruments and they made it sound brilliant.

I don't know. Just a really good gig. If Devendra Banhart is playing anywhere near you, you should go check him out. You won't regret it.

After the gig he and the band came back out into the bar area for a few pints of Guinness and a chat with everyone too. Nice guy.

diothoir
08-03-2005, 07:59 PM
Where did you see these fellow(s)? I'll go see anybody tbh.

Care to recommend any songs also?

Champion of Europa
08-04-2005, 01:44 AM
I went to allmusic.com to look for a recommendation, and download the song The Body Breaks. I quite like it, and intend on getting more of his music when I'm on a quicker computer.

El Capitano Gatisto
08-04-2005, 12:40 PM
I saw him in the Empire Music Hall. He's probably left Ireland now, he was in Dublin on Friday night then Belfast on Saturday, and I think he maybe did a couple of nights in the West of the country too.

Songs to get:

This Is The Way
A Sight to Behold
The Body Breaks
Will is My Friend
This Beard is for Siobhan
We All Know
Little Yellow Spider
At The Hop
Pumpkin Seeds
Noah
Water May Walk

El Capitano Gatisto
09-19-2005, 11:05 AM
Got his new album Cripple Crow today. Seems pretty good on first listen. More production, a backing band on some songs. A much more "filled out" sound.

The Destroyer
09-19-2005, 02:08 PM
The only reason I've even heard of him is because of the fact all of his previous albums came out on Michael Gira's Young God records. So basically this is just an excuse to whore his band, The Angels of Light, who people might actually like. :p

Might give Mr Banhart a shot when I get a chance though.